1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Make Dragon Roar require a fixed HP amount instead of HP %

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by akashsky, Feb 20, 2023.

1. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    11:10 PM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Dragon Roar is an incredible skill that can hit up to 15 monsters. It is very good for farming monsters, but is balanced when it comes to normal DK players because it cost 30% of your HP.

A normal DK player has 30k HP with hyperbody, and this results in roar costing 9k HP per cast. The cost to heal 9k HP per cast plays a big role in balancing out this skill.

It has recently come to staff's attention that beginners can level up with low HP, then job advance to dark knight to take advantage of the fact that dragon roar requires a fixed hp %.

Example beginner DK has around 2.5k hp, so each roar only costs 700 HP. It is much cheaper to heal 700 hp versus 9k hp, making beginner DK able to farm for very cheap.

If Dragon Roar was changed instead to require a fixed amount of HP, lets say somewhere between 5000 and 9000, the beginner DK would cost more to run than the normal DK. The 30k HP DK would have the best dragon roar, as they could heal the most HP for the cheapest cost.

At the same time, I would also suggest to remove the limitation that dragon's roar cannot be used when you have less than 50% HP. This would give actual DK players more options to control their HP to maintain specific levels of zerk.

After implementing this, beginner DK players will either become unviably dead (they won't have enough HP to use dragon roar) or become incredibly expensive (using 1 roar depletes nearly all of their HP).

As a result, staff can remove the new restriction added in the february patch, that beginners cannot job advance past level 29.

If one is to argue that beginner mages are a balance problem that needs to be purged, then it is hard to also argue that 30k hp range characters are NOT a problem that needs to be purged. Its just HP washing, which every class can go to extreme lengths for, we even have 30k hp and 30k mp warriors in this server. Beginner mages is just the mage equivalent of getting 30k hp on range DPS, at a much higher cost.

• Agree Agree x 18
    • Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Edann

Edann Slimy Retired Staff

Oct 24, 2020
    9:10 AM
    Edann
    I/L Arch Mage
    Pasta
    Why not start with matching the drop rate of roar to mage ults

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. Mirrors

Mirrors Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    Mirrors
    WeenieHutJrs
    For those who are clicking agree or disagree of this thread, would love to hear more about why you did so! akashskyakashsky thanks for getting the ball rolling on this discussion. The community feedback is very helpful.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    This is also another option, but I think that the drop rate advantage of DK offers interesting trade-offs.

Do you go for DK to max out on mesos but negligable exp?
    or
    Do you go for mages to get a good amount of mesos and a decent amount of exp?

If DK drop advantage is taken away, the main advantage is ease of farm, since stance would turn almost every map into pseudo safe spot. Also note that for current DK (not beginner version), their potion cost per hour is higher than an archmage.

5. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    I am curious as to the reasoning having a more durable mage is too strong, especially, as mentioned, things like 30k NLs exist which are strong enough to be meta defining.

If it’s a muling problem, I’m curious as to which fights they are being muled on and whether that practice will be removed with the removal of beginner washing or if people will simply continue to do so with less HP.

If it’s a pot efficiency problem, I’d like to see some numbers comparing beginner mage pot costs to 30k NL pot costs.

Otherwise, I struggle to see the justification for denying one class extra HP when such HP is so easily accessible to other classes at a significantly reduced cost both in terms of effort, SP, and NX.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Edann

Edann Slimy Retired Staff

Oct 24, 2020
    9:10 AM
    Edann
    I/L Arch Mage
    Pasta
    Hey man it's so that mage mules don't replace mage mains

• Creative Creative x 1
  7. MainSan

MainSan Mushmom

Mar 20, 2022
    Male
    8:10 AM
    MainSan
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk
    There's no replacing you Edann SlimeAngel

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    1:10 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    i use 1k powers every pb since i just leave my pots at 80%

Only way i die is no mg + zombified if not 1/1s

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    That’s a lot of PEs holy shit

10. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    3m vs my mental booming

i am at heart a true casual player

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. ryanlights

ryanlights Windraider

Jan 2, 2021
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    2:10 AM
    Dark Knight, Bowmaster
    Prestigious
    same

12. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Seems like a step in the right direction and caters more to 'normal build' DKs that want to manage their HP more consistently. Not sure why people are so opposed to it when, in practice, it should be the same thing for most DKs with some added utility.

A couple things to maybe consider:
    • Will using Dragon Roar during active Zerk bring your HP down to 1?
    • Since using Dragon Roar doesn't give you iframes, isn't it possible to get combo'd into a death?
    • Should Dragon Roar give iframes? This could be another area of counter-play that allow for DKs to dodge stuns/seds instead of purposely taking touch damage.
    These points are aside from the beginner mage controversy and are more specific towards the DK changes.

13. Blache

Blache Brown Teddy

Jan 12, 2020
    Male
    3:10 AM
    Cleric
    Consider adjusting Dragon Roar's damage and HP reduction percentage by a factor dependent on the user's maximum HP. If the skill is maxed and the user has 30k HP, only then does Dragon Roar unleash its full potential. I don't think beginner DKs should be barred from using the skill entirely, but it would certainly dismantle the farming strat if Dragon Roar had to be used 6 or 7 times to kill anything of note. I think it fits stylistically as well, given the overarching theme of DKs sacrificing their life blood for power. If a DK is constitutionally weak to begin with, then there isn't much to power to be gained through sacrifice.

14. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Roar would only need to do like 10 damage to multidk farm as snails have the same gacha and NX drop rate as other maps. PP1 is already a meta map as is.

15. Blache

Blache Brown Teddy

Jan 12, 2020
    Male
    3:10 AM
    Cleric
    Then cut the number of mobs hit as well. Base 3, max 15.

16. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    rawr x3

• Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    Make it cost 7k HP and call it a day.

18. V220

V220 Chronos

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    SoLucky
    Bishop
    Agreed, 7k so that fresh lvl~70 can’t even cast it without hb :p

19. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    3:10 PM
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    I do agree multiroar farming meta is broken somehow but a bit worried for OPs suggestion can hit 3rd job drk players grinding in cd map so hard, which is very common nowadays.

20. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    2:10 PM
    ^ this