1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Should the Upgrade Curve Be Changed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bienfu, Sep 5, 2023.

1. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    7:15 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    upload_2023-9-6_3-39-22.png

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    8:15 PM
    I think your newer lines should be on the left. Its less effort to make gains on the lower spectrum now, but much harder at the higher gains.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. kiwiz

kiwiz Skelegon

May 7, 2018
    Hello, I wana share my 3 arbitrary "walls".

Simply the amount of meso I'd roughly spend across 12 slots of equipment depending on the commitment of the character:

weapon, offhand
    eye, face, earring, cape
    top, bottom, gloves, shoes
    hat, pendant

100mil - casual but still enjoyable playthrough
    • weapon, offhand (up to 20mil total)
    • eye, face - 2 to 3 stats (up to 10mil)
    • earring - 7 to 9 stats or 14 tma (up to 10mil)
    • cape - 4 to 8 stats, 2 wa or 12 tma (up to 10mil)
    • top, bottom - bathrobe scrolled +10 to 15 stats (up to 10mil)
    • gloves - 8 wa or 10 tma (up to 10mil)
    • shoes - speed shoes (<2mil)
    • hat, pendant - uncle scarga, MoN (~28mil)

1bil - solid for farming and grinding
    • weapon, offhand (up to 200mil total)
    • eye - 4 stats or 9 int (up to 100mil)
    • face - 6 dex or hp (up to 80mil), mage allocate some to other slots
    • earring - 10 to 11 stats or 20tma (up to 100mil)
    • cape - 6 to 10 stats, 3wa or 17 tma (up to 50mil)
    • top, bottom - scrolled +20 stats (up to 150mil)
    • gloves - 11 to 12 wa or 15 tma (up to 100mil)
    • shoes - 12 to 14 stats (up to 100mil)
    • hat, pendant - uncle scarga, HTP (up to 120mil)

3bil - late game ready
    • weapon, offhand (up to 800mil total), mage allocate some to MW20 100% svc
    • eye - 5 stats or 11 int (up to 200mil)
    • face - 7 to 8 dex or hp (up to 350mil), mage allocate most to MW20 100% svc
    • earring - 12 stats or 25 tma (up to 200mil)
    • cape - 5 wa or 19 tma (up to 200mil)
    • top, bottom - scrolled +24 to 28 stats (up to 400mil)
    • gloves - 12 to 13 wa or 18 tma (up to 300mil)
    • shoes - 15 to 17 stats (up to 300mil), mage allocate most to MW20 100% svc
    • hat, pendant - scrolled uncle scarga, HTP (up to 250mil)

I think 3bil meso investment is quite enough for any character to participant in all the end game contents comfortably (assuming HP is sufficient). Anything above are luxury upgrades to me.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Tarnished

Tarnished Pac Pinky

Jun 13, 2022
    Male
    5:15 AM
    Confessor, Tarnished, Hawthorn
    Hero
    Anyone serious about chasing godly gear has to have looked at the math and at some point made peace with their own insanity

A single NL will never be stronger than 2 NLs, yet a person could spend a lifetime trying to close that gap. The wall is by design.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. kiwiz

kiwiz Skelegon

May 7, 2018
    [​IMG]

There, I helped fixed it. Now newer lines on the left. No need to thank.

• Great Work Great Work x 11
    • Like Like x 1
  6. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    the equivalent player from 2017 with a 70-73 craven is one with it perfected now

• Creative Creative x 1
  7. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    9:15 PM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Just to chime in with additional points + summary from both sides:

Reasons why wall could be moved
    • [New] In moving the wall forward (lower coins needed for CS and/or WS), it could open new goals for existing end-game players
      • (Eg) Perfect OAs / Top / Bottoms
      • [Nise point] It's ofc not "worth it" compared to other items, but I'm just saying it COULD be a goal. Not that it WOULD be a goal :p
    • Reduces time/effort needed, which causes less burn out (?)
    • Coin prices are getting higher, so supply of coins should be increased to counter act this (by lowering coins needed to exhcnage for CS/WS)
      • [Nise point] But in making it more available, it could introduce new players who had previously not seen it to be feasible (wall effect) and could re-enter the market, thereby increasing demand again > end result still being quite similar
    Reasons why wall shouldn't be moved
    • Wall is arbitrary and can be shifted. Making things easier to get would just shift everything further back.
    • People should be making their own goals and not be affected by "herd mentality"
      • [Nise point] Which lets be real, easier said than done, and probably doesn't sound convincing for newer players when it comes from people that own items that are shaping the herd mentality.
    • "Value" of existing end-game weapons will fall and that's a problem
      • [Nise point] This valuation is still relative, so I don't quite buy this argument. Items nowadays are linked to coins, but more specifically the current ratio of WS to coins. So I'd assume if that ratio changes, you'd probably still end up with similar "value".
      • (Eg) Item worth 300 coins = 3 WS rn. When 100 coins = 1x WS. If we change the exchange ratio to 50 coins = 1 WS. Valuation would be 3 * 50 coins = 150 coins = 3 WS still.
      • Prices would change across the board, but purchasing power should more or less stay the same I'd reckon without giving it TOO much thought to this hypothethical. A more relevant problem might be huge sweeping changes = generally bad from an economy perspective. As well as game health sometimes. It reduces predictability in the system, which could trigger a whole bunch of other things.
    Did a quick read through of the thread, so please correct me if I'm wrong with any of the points!

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    chaosing for stats is already a thing and capes have been falling a bit. also people would just burn out chasing after the next big thing anyway

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    9:15 AM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    one thing I noticed was the difference between "optimized" runs different from conventional runs, maybe what you're missing is not gear itself, but a few more lv's to do core blaze for example, rng is rng, but some good luck in core runs for example, can give you more than 10-15 coins per day.at that point the coins made it easier (even before things were cheaper).

I know a guy who with less gear than I did much better content, and that made me more thoughtful than progression in gear, as was said in the topic, you don't need crazy gear to do the game's contents, the thing is to make the contents and think of the progressions as goals

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    One of the points I was trying to make earlier in my Gurk-post was that value should be measured in time invested, not currency. The relative currency value and purchasing power remains the same, yes, but the time invested required is now effectively halved (assuming the price to farm a WS remains the same and not, as you mentioned as a possibility, doubling with an increase in demand).

Part of what makes huge projects like completing a perfect weapon satisfying is that it's the end of a long road, one that we chose for ourselves. All players have the ability to map out a path to their goal, by estimating a cost, estimating their farming ability, estimating the amount of hours they have to put in, then executing on that path, and being able to see the fruits of your labor over a long time brings a large amount of satisfaction.

Reducing the time-to-completion for such projects risks trivializing them. Imagine if we had the ability to farm a perfect weapon in a week: there is no satisfaction to be gained by completing something that can be done so effortlessly. You'll notice in this thread the only players arguing that the value of perfect weapons being lowered are those complaining that they are too difficult to achieve; those who actually own perfect weapons instead only make references to the ability to make and execute on goals.

Lowering the time-to-completion for endgame items is essentially the same as turning ML into a high-rate server, which seems kind of antithesis to what the server stands for. 100x and 1000x servers already exist, as far as I'm aware, and players have the ability to go create a perfect weapon in a few days if they chose. There's no need to change the progression experience on ML to tailor the needs of those who have an inability to set their own goals properly when the experience they're looking for already exists, no?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  11. Ferluci

Ferluci Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 27, 2017
    Male
    2:15 PM
    Ferluci
    Bishop
    Just stop buying these items at these expensive prices.

we all control the market.

12. OP
    OP
    bienfu

bienfu Pac Pinky

Aug 14, 2022
    Male
    secondpink
    Beginner
    This is just you throwing out strawmans and taking out all nuance from the discussion.

"Lowering the time-to-completion for endgame items is essentially the same as turning ML into a high-rate server" is a bad-faith argument. Nobody is advocating for 100x server, nobody is advocating for a 1000x server.

There is no 'its only MapleLegends progression" and only 'high rate progression'. That is a bad-faith take of how servers are classified and it is a bad-faith reasoning to assume that any concept of making things remotely easier turns MapleLegends into a 1000x server.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    I mean there's 5x and 10x servers too, aren't there?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    i think the cleanest example is multivote which just shifted the curve of what's considered acceptable or not. making items easier just does the same in the long run

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. OP
    OP
    bienfu

bienfu Pac Pinky

Aug 14, 2022
    Male
    secondpink
    Beginner
    A 5x or 10x server isn't the same because various servers have different mechanics in which they produce chaos scrolls and white scrolls. Prestigious coins do not exist in other servers.

A 5x or 10x server is not the same as you can get chaos/white scrolls 5x or 10x easier. The mechanic in which scrolls is produced and their subsequent supply is what prescribes its economic value, not the rate of the server. The average player playing a 5x or 10x server can realistically find it equally as hard to obtain CS/WS as it is in MapleLegends.

16. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    The fallacy fallacy, where you describe someone's rebuttal as a fallacy in an attempt to dismiss their point entirely. Similar irony in throwing out terms like bad faith argument as a bad faith argument lmao. Beegoratto has been patiently responding to things despite the unwarranted sarcastic responses from the lot of you.

You're asking for shit to be made easier which is akin to higher rate servers. 100x, 10x, 5x, doesn't matter. Anything that impacts the time in which it takes to achieve a certain goal is a multiplier of sorts and applies to this argument. Asking for CS to be changed to 30 coins is literally asking for a 3x adjusted rate of gain.

But clearly, it's the server's fault that you aren't able to obtain these self-imposed goals/markers of progress because of this imaginary wall that nobody can overcome - except for those who find a way to earn and slowly work towards a goal -- but doing that is out of the question.

If there's a wall that you don't think you can surpass, lower your expectations. When you get to the wall, you might reconsider when you look back and see all you've accomplished. Right now, you guys are nowhere near it and are yet the loudest voices screaming that it's impossible and that the system is unfair or broken.

If you really want advice, post all of your gear here.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    2:15 PM
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    I've heard Bienfu just finished his Timeless Spear project, it is logical that the next step is Chaos Scrolls.
    Cheaper Chaos Scrolls seems convenient to me

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  18. GDLee

GDLee Balance Team Staff Member Balance Team

May 29, 2017
    Male
    New York
    AMZN
    Night Lord
    Vengeance
    One point that I think hasn't been brought up yet (and if it has, sorry for missing after my skimming) is that hyperfocusing on gear progression is actually a pretty big distractor from the easiest way to get stronger - leveling. I think an earlier part of this thread discussed how "expensive" it is to upgrade from a 4 att clean PGC to a 6 att PGC.

But if you look at how much total damage you're gaining from 2 att, it's roughly equivalent for most classes to a 2-3 level progression in your character. Unless you're already at the late stage of the game in terms of levels (let's just arbitrarily say 180+ since that's where you can fully access any content without a level-damage penalty), it is actually cheaper and faster to progress in strength by buying bulk leech (e.g., MooMoo Daycare) to allow yourself to participate in more lucrative content and propel your meso-earning capacity through bossing.

Some degree of oversimplification, but here are two versions of myself as a player (real experience):
    1) Freshly washed-out NL with decent gear at lvl 160 - (14 att glove, 8 att cape, 74 att craven) - overly focused on trying to obtain very expensive gear upgrades and leveled at snail pace. Spent billions for several attack in upgrades, but overall strength gains were minimal.
    2) Semi-enlightened NL with decent+ gear at lvl 165 (15 att glove, 11 att cape, 76 att craven) - shift in focus towards running content, primarily Horntail in smaller squads. Fast level gains = more efficient and cheap strength gains compared to lvl 160 version of me.

Tldr; everyone is entitled to set goals in game as lofty or casual as they so choose. But my personal opinion is that there's already so much to be gained from the game in terms of progression from just playing the game and running content/doing normal player things. And try not to lose too much sleep over the fact that some players that have perfect gear after a LOT of time. You'll get sufficiently stronger without that extra 1-2 att on your cape. And if you want to really grind for it when your character hasn't even reached a true late-game stage in natural progression, that's your choice to pursue a less efficient and more stressful route.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
  19. OP
    OP
    bienfu

bienfu Pac Pinky

Aug 14, 2022
    Male
    secondpink
    Beginner
    This is more bad-faith arguing because you are intentionally refusing to understand the points that are clearly made, which seems to be par for the course of old rich forum legendlers. The wall is not imaginary, it is undeniably true that once you get to a certain point, the effort it takes to progress in gear for little gains increases exponentially.

A higher adjusted rate of gain for one item =/= asking for high rate server

Nowhere did I say that it was not possible to overcome the wall, nor did I say that nobody can overcome the wall, nor does anywhere imply that this suggestion is for people not willing to work towards a goal. In fact it is made explicitly clear that moving the wall still means work and effort is required, but would improve the overall experience for more people.

20. OP
    OP
    bienfu

bienfu Pac Pinky

Aug 14, 2022
    Male
    secondpink
    Beginner
    This kind of year-long targeted discord and forum behavior is one of the most unprofessional and immature things I've ever seen from a staff member of a game, it's even worse than MapleRoyals staff

• Creative Creative x 7