1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Should Aufheben EV Be Higher?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gurk, Nov 19, 2023.

Tags:

Should Auf EV be buffed?

1. Yes

33 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    7:47 AM
    gotta give these 2 classes a job tho.

2. HarleyEllis

HarleyEllis Pac Pinky

Jan 3, 2021
    Female
    Philadelphia
    7:47 PM
    Harlez
    I/L Wizard, Shadower, Brawler, Outlaw
    Galaxy
    Nearly any squad composition that fills the basic pinning and clone dispelling roles, employs proper strategy for their comp, and executes well their job's technique, even with minimal washing just to challenge thresholds, should be able to clear with 4-5 attackers, albeit perhaps with *some* high wa/matt potion usage. As brutal and unforgiving an expedition as it is, we have a thorough understanding of what we're up against, and sufficient tools at our disposal currently on Legends to take her down. To Gurk's point though, EV is dogshit, give her like a tradable int/luk/m.att eye or FS idk, but not MW

3. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    4:47 PM
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    It’s less that NLs can’t run and more that it’s really awkward. Since a stable roster is usually formed around a core of 1 Hero/Pally, 1 Bucc, and 1 Bish, that leaves 3 attacker slots. If you want to take an NL, one of those has to be SE and now you’re left with only 1 slot for a second cleave which hurts the run time, and at most you can fit 2 NLs on the squad (again at a pretty big disadvantage during cleave phases). The ratio of endgame NL players to other classes is far more than 2:4 meaning there’s way more NLs than there are available slots, and those slots in the first place would ideally be going to paladins or shadowers anyways.

So NL can definitely run it just hurts the squad and even if a squad is willing to take the hit to accept NLs there’s not enough slots for how NL heavy the server is.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    I know some people who host Toad runs and offer their runners apples to make the run feel less like a slog. If a Nightlord really wanted their own helm, instead of buying service, perhaps they could form their own squad and provide their attackers some apples to make the run smoother. Sure beats paying 80m for a helm, especially when you're capable of being an attacker yourself. In SE starved compositions, maybe the NL could apple to compensate for the DPM loss. I feel like there are creative workarounds people aren't thinking of or are just unwilling to employ. If NLs want to be included, isn't making use of resources in the game (attack pots) a viable approach?

I think the main problem with Auf is that it has a higher barrier for entry than most other content (high level requirement, long pre-quest, no ride-along runs to learn like HT 12 man, etc.), so it already takes a lot just to run it. To clear it requires the know-how of the fight which also has a pretty high learning curve compared to most other content. The fear of failure is real, and it's a tall order to find a group of people willing to run content they'll knowingly fail over and over again until they don't.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Mirrors

Mirrors Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    Mirrors
    WeenieHutJrs
    Are NLs that upset about not being first choice in a meme boss? Surely they don't have to be a top choice in EVERY boss right? Is there something that awful about finally having a boss that prefers cleavers??

Considering NLs excel in single target boss runs I don't see an issue with cleavers excelling in a cleave heavy run. That's what class differences are for and personally I'm happy seeing different classes excelling at different things like a typical fantasy RPG game.

That being said yes please raise the EV so more people will want to run Auf.

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  6. brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    Wait paladin and buccs are cleavers?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    upload_2023-11-19_17-20-36.png

upload_2023-11-19_17-35-41.png

Last edited: Nov 20, 2023
    • Like Like x 9
    • Great Work Great Work x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Its not about being top choice, its about the auf meta making it a logistical nightmare to get on runs as a nightlord via standard means (things ovv suggested would work to get on a run as a NL, but its a lot of effort to do so).

9. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    8:47 PM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    Even if NL gets relatively better in the auf I still believe that the motivation would soon pass, and that I would need something that lets you loot more than one helmet, but I don't know how that could happen..

10. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    1:47 AM
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    NL can actually perform quite well in Auf but the NLs that I've seen complain on the forums don't make any attempts to host or find a squad that compliments their class to make it work. Imagine having to go through some effort to get into boss runs for once..

Regardless, the main post here is regarding Auf EV. I think as long as you need a helmet the EV is fine since the main incentive is of course the best in slot helmet. Afterwards it becomes a bit tricky as sellings service isn't something every squad is able to do either and the fight can be quite draining as a 40 minute run still takes up a good amount of focus to react to animations and keep timers. This a long with the lowish EV can make it quite draining to continue to rus when you've already finished your helmet. Perhaps there could be some sort of system in place where to increase incentive through other ways than just increasing drop EV?

• Like Like x 2
  11. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    could be NL hate going on. :"D

12. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    The main issue with this current situation is it splits the already small Auf runner pool into two groups: those who have a helm and can sell for EV, and those who do not and want to run for the helm. The problems of putting together a squad are exacerbated by the fact that you have to commit to one of these two groups, and if you are a helm group you will slowly lose runners over time when they finish theirs.

If the EV were to be naturally increased, the runner pools could be merged and putting together a squad could be easier potentially. Or it could just exacerbate the problem who knows?

I do think the fact that the already tiny pool of Auf runners is split into two distinct and incompatible groups is not ideal though and makes hosting incredibly difficult.

Also as mentioned by LinLin on discord, I think the hardest part of running with NLs or hosting as a NL is often finding a capable SE to run with as the pool of strong and skilled archers looking to run Auf is even smaller than Paladin.

13. OP
    OP
    Gurk

Gurk Nightshadow

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    Gxrk
    Hero, Bishop, Marksman, Shadower, Buccaneer, Corsair
    But because of the poor EV, most squads will exclusively feature runners who are still working towards a helm (as those who finish usually end up "graduating"), which in turn means that with the ~2.5 helms that drop on average the typical experience for a given runner will be looting slightly less than one helm every other run. This effectively means that over half of the runs a person does is a waste of time given the outlined incentive, which I feel only exacerbates how lackluster the content feels.

Granted, this particular issue could be addressed without touching EV by simply increasing the minimum number of helms dropped or increasing their drop rate. That said, my personal hopes for Auf would be for it to become end game content worth running long-term rather than just being transient content that acts as a means to an end as I feel that it would be such an enormous waste to not try to maximize the amount of end game content worth doing on an already limited old school server.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Agreed. The tedious nature of the fight for some classes and emphasis on the main incentive to run being the helmet itself makes the run into a “get in and get out” type deal. Unless you play the correct class that’s allowed to have fun, the fight is very much a slog and there’s little reason to stay once your helmet is done, which only worsens the issues for the remaining players trying to run.

I would say that the issues with Auf are both an EV problem as well as a fight design problem. The fight itself I think could use changes to make it more accessible to certain classes and/or make it less of a slog but I'm not sure how many people agree. It's a very divisive issue, and I know there are some players who are adamant the fight is fun, but there's definitely a large contingent of those who very vocally believe otherwise and I think the constant attrition rate of runners we've experienced since the inception of the fight proves that there are definitely issues with retention and many people just do not want to run, for whatever reason.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    6:47 PM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    am i the only nl player that wants to purchase service

• Creative Creative x 4
  16. Lin

Lin Headless Horseman

Feb 27, 2017
    Male
    Singapore
    Linny,BangHero,Carbide
    Paladin
    Bonk
    Which is why I host training runs for newbies every Sunday reset +2. I will train everyone and anyone that is willing to learn. My goals are beyond your understanding

• Friendly Friendly x 9
  17. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    your mental is far stronger than my own

18. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    u r the savior of the server and all NLs who just need an auf helm and they wont re-appear after they finished the helm.

19. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    NLs should be required to do 1 run of "community service" of running on 1 other "required" class for each run they get to be on on their NL

• Great Work Great Work x 3
  20. Tarnished

Tarnished Pac Pinky

Jun 13, 2022
    Male
    Confessor, Tarnished, Hawthorn
    Hero
    Auf’s a rare opportunity for ML to have a more engaging boss that goes beyond a glorified stat-check. Every death in Auf is high-stakes and her clone/healing mechanic leaves a lot of room for strategy which makes her exciting to run. I would really hate to see changes that turn her into yet another “me hold attack long time” boss where playing poorly just adds like 10 additional minutes to your clear speed. While the old orb DP definitely had to go due to almost entirely excluding mages and low hp chars, I think her current iteration that traded the DP for raw bonus dmg is a rushed solution. The fight turned way more afk, and the HP wash requirement for certain chars went up because they can’t survive as many balls as before during the unavoidable sed.

Her EV is already quite high for a meta squad that’s selling helms. I wouldn’t be surprised if 35 minute apple-less 5-man clear were possible, I’ve witnessed close to 40 minute clears. I worry that if Auf’s EV were further buffed, people would start pressuring BT to make the fight too accessible i.e. braindead for 30k funded chars

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1