1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Update [Beta Test] Challenges System - HP Wash Alternative

Discussion in 'Update Notes' started by xiaoyaoz, Feb 19, 2023.

1. Chris

Chris Zakum Retired Staff

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    11:55 AM
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    The challenge doesn’t prevent you from mp washing.

2. Nathaniel5

Nathaniel5 Red Snail

Apr 27, 2023
    Male
    6:55 PM
    Bartimaeus
    Beginner
    Sleepywood

• This is from the Alpha thread, has it been changed? Otherwise it seems like it would block you from putting points into MP.

3. Chris

Chris Zakum Retired Staff

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    from the same thread, can’t quote it for some reason.

312F61EE-F3C5-40B7-A1A7-8F1019132DFE.jpeg

4. Nathaniel5

Nathaniel5 Red Snail

Apr 27, 2023
    Male
    6:55 PM
    Bartimaeus
    Beginner
    Sleepywood
    I see that they've changed it(or that the original intent was that only mages would be able to put AP into MP).
    Perfect! Thank you!.

That still means that as a mage I can invest a lot of AP into MP, wash it out of HP, then complete the challenge and get back the HP that I lost.

• Creative Creative x 1
  5. Signature

Signature Stone Golem

Apr 29, 2015
    Male
    Sweden
    5:55 PM
    Flamous
    Bishop
    Maybe PQ:s could be added as required challenges, in that way PQ:s could actually be encouraged for newer players and also increase the player base for PQ:s. Personally I'd rather have collaborative challenges rather than doing a grindfest on my own.

• Like Like x 1
  6. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    8:55 AM
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    This would work better as an optional challenge as they cannot be completed retroactively once you’re too high of a level

actually even by level 100 you have lost access to most PQs

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Marchilles/Annolis/ Atlan/Katroz/ Chokal/Corvack/Tisif/ Quallo/Crisilixin/Forg/ Nannosh/Tylius
    Crusader, White Knight, Dragon Knight, F/P Mage, I/L Mage, Priest, Ranger, Sniper, Hermit, Chief Bandit, Marauder, Outlaw
    Eternals
    That means APQ and CWKPQ are still contenders as part of the challenges.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ganoo

ganoo Red Snail

Nov 4, 2019
    Male
    10:55 AM
    Assassin
    As a casual player returning to MS, this is a really positive change for the server and I look forward to seeing it in the live game.

Sometime soon, hopefully!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. NoChorus

NoChorus Red Snail

Mar 24, 2020
    Male
    Bandit
    I just completed the beta challenges a couple of days ago. Long story short, 10000 deep ludi mobs is too much pain for Lv.100 characters. Lv.100~120 is the most boring part of the game. For washers/funded players leeching is the best option. For casuals like us who look forward to the HP challenges, the exp rate is everything. Deep ludi has sub-optimal rate and atrocious maps (except for maybe dual ghost pirate, imho). Every second I would spend in there feels like a waste.

Now, I am not a tryhard who refuses to do anything inefficient. I take pride in my 1700+ quests completion and 4 base INT as a shadower. I want to tell you that there is a difference between completing tedious yet unrewarding quests and farming a flat number of mobs. It is all about presentation. 20 pig heads for a party? Easy. 400 poopa eggs to make sushi? You've got it. 1000 cursed doll because Grendel fucked up? I got your back. 999 mobs at temple of time to unlock one map, and there's 15 total? Gladly. 10000 deep ludi mobs, because fuck you that's why? Hell no. Thinking back when I was a Lv.100 CB, if I was not meso bombing at FoT or meso printing at CDs, it better be something worth it I was doing with the game. It has to be special, something I can give meaning to, something I could look back and say it was fun. Solving Sabitrama's riddle was fun. Holding down one button is not.

I like the suggestion a lot that says to treat the challenge as another Job advancement. We are asked to go to this one hidden map and collect rare monster drops and bring them to this npc who's on the other side of the globe and they'd give you a necklace to throw into the volcano in El Nath... That didn't really happen, but it could have. I just love the hassle. Another suggestion of require specific quests to be completed is not bad either, although I have all of them done already. Or we can make new quests just for the challenges. I don't really care. My point is, make it fun.

I would also like to throw in my idea which is requiring the character to get fame. There's another suggestion I saw about getting people to do Party Quest, and the problem is there are no Party Quests after Lv.100. APQ is a daily chore and CWKPQ is more like a boss for Lv.140+. (Yes Henesys PQ, you are a joke to all of us.) And then I thought, what if we can retroactively count their past PQ endeavors? Simply counting the times of completion wouldn't be fair since people who skipped some or all PQs cannot make up for it. But what else do people do at PQs? Hopefully they make friends. And they trade fames. What happens if an experienced player carries in PQs by being helpful, or teaching the newbies, or simply dealing great damage? They get famed. Not even guildies or friend groups constantly trade fames. It's only once per month per person anyway. PQs are the best place to meet new people for fames. Late game boss groups may do that sometimes, but honestly I think friendly encounters at bosses should be encouraged, too.

And yes, you can buy fame in FM, but I don't see why not. You can already pay for hair/face, too. It might even be better since most people selling fame are newer players anyway. And I'd imagine buying lots of fame takes time, considering the bar should be significant enough. (I've never bought fame before don't @ me.) Besides, do you know how else you can get fame efficiently? Quests, baby. Hell yeah. I suggest multiple bars to pass at different levels, like 75 fame at Lv.100, all the way to maybe 400 at Lv.180. I just pulled the numbers out of my head, but I'm pretty sure you can get 300+ fame from less than 30 quests.

Oh, and there's this job-specific challenge. I did it with a shadower. It was pointless. Pathetic, even. Something needs to be done, thoughts to be re-thought. I don't know how, but it would be sad seeing this again untouched for the real challenges.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. ryanlights

ryanlights Windraider

Jan 2, 2021
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Dark Knight, Bowmaster
    Prestigious
    is this still happening?

11. Mirrors

Mirrors Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    Mirrors
    WeenieHutJrs
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Ovencake

Ovencake Blue Snail

Apr 1, 2021
    12:55 AM
    Ovencake
    Beginner
    i just want to know which equipments i can get from this event ...

13. Chelmsford

Chelmsford Red Snail

Jun 24, 2022
    Male
    4:55 PM
    Chelmsford
    Community
    I've completed the challenges in the Alpha and Beta test and my feedback is as follows:

- The newest set is more balanced. 10,000 monsters was too much for a tier 1 in my mind, 7,000 is better.
    - I did the Owl of Minerva challenge instead of the return scroll one, which definitely felt a bit more useful and not as tedious.
    - The skill damage ones are more balanced now as they took about 3 minutes in the previous test.

Some further feedback:
    - It got quite tedious to kill 7,000 deep ludi monsters after previously having done 10,000 and already getting all the cards there. It would be great if the actual challenges could have a different area or more diverse options.
    - The lucky seven skill one felt slightly useless as a Night Lord. While I know the tier 1 is designed for level 100, I imagine there will be a fair few 120+ players doing these. It feels useless to have to use lucky seven when I have triple throw
    - I haven't done the quest challenge this time, but I do like the idea. I think it would be great if the challenges also aid in general account progression. Having to complete certain quests might be a good option to engage players with the game beyond leeching their characters. For the same reason I think the mobs in a certain area using an active attacker is a good idea, as it will aid in getting a higher tiered monster ring.

Thanks for all your hard work on this. As someone who joined for nostalgia and stuck around the server, this is the #1 update I've been waiting for. I started washing too late, don't want to re-make my character and can't wait 2 years to vote either. I think it will really go a long way in not making newer players quit or burn out due to their characters being either useless in bossing or unplayable for years.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    11:55 PM
    How about adding bossing content to the challenges?
    Like killing X number of Zaks, Paps, HTs, etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    i thought the purpose is to have enough hp to boss, so why introduce content that is unclearable

• Creative Creative x 1
  16. CreamPuffDad

CreamPuffDad Timer

Jun 29, 2022
    Male
    xLianneBelle
    Dark Knight
    Bonerwood
    You don't have to go straight for the end game bosses like HT, but zakum, papuor scarlion would definitely be acceptable. Okay, maybe not scarlion due to the spawn time, but Zak and papu is definitely doable. Some lazy people might even just buy a zakum run outright ala zhelm runs and guilds could do charity runs for their newbies.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2023
  17. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    how about collecting untradeables from these bosses? 300 zakum diamonds, 300 papu idk whats that thing called.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    12:55 PM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    i like the idea, but I believe that for most couples challenges that you can do alone (having the option of do fast going in party) is better
    oh not unless we think of a possible market for sales services..

19. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    12:55 PM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    not for the purpose of the challenge itself, but I like the idea of using some items like this for an exanged or recycling

20. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    doesn't affect me but idk why we want such steep roadblocks. i think even 300 of those papu thingies will be like 1 month or so of pa. in that case, just wash regularly

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1