1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

[Formal Proposal] Quester's Ring

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Skuire, Apr 30, 2020.

Do you support this proposal?

1. Yes

498 vote(s)
    82.9%
  2. Yes, but needs changes (specify in thread)

84 vote(s)
    14.0%
  3. No

19 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. yurain

yurain Windraider

Dec 30, 2019
    6:24 AM
    YUrain
    I/L Wizard
    Maybe you can start doing the lv20 quest when you are lv50?
    Not asking you to 100% replace leeching with quest, it is just a CHANGE OF PACE, from wraith > GS > WR > WS > ULU.
    Anyway, questing will help you to hunt cards too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    7:24 AM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    As an objective third party, I can definitely see both sides of the argument. Of course, I feel like the discussions could've used a bit more "diplomatic" tone. I urge everyone to look at the topic of quest rings (and new content in general) from the staff/dev team perspective. New content should be something that can be equally enjoyed by all players. I want to clarify that "enjoyment" doesn't just mean getting the end-goal, but also the thrill and excitement of seeking the end-goal.

Having a quest ring that ends up with "no new content" for players that have already done quests. Like nicsnics says, will be unfair for those that didn't bother questing prior. But not only that, it becomes pretty underwhelming for those that did quest before. These players can't enjoy the feeling of striving for something, improving level by level, or setting/meeting goals. As cheesey as it may be, "sometimes the journey is more beautiful than the destination." Logging on one day and having already arrived at the destination... without experiencing the journey that is leveling up or improving your quest ring. I feel like it'll definitely be an achievement for some of these questing players, but a half hollow achievement.

Bottomline, I want everyone to think from both sides and be kind to each other and respect each other~ And once again great work by Sku :D

• Disagree x 5
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • Great Work x 1
  3. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    Love you nise but.....yeah. that is extremely cheesy and I cant help but facepalm at the idea that the playerbase (especially the long term ones) wants this "race" to finish first, "striving level by level" or whatnot. In this post I'll make my last posts in support for this ring.

If it's so hard to accept that people who have already done quests have already put in their time which grinding/leeching players did not ERGO this is in no way unfair, then I dont think there is much more that needs to be said about this. Everyone has a certain amount of time to play the game; you can use it to grind, to leech, to boss, to monster book hunt, etc. If you decided to spend your time on pure grinding, you get to a higher level in lower play time than those who decided to do quests (of which majority past 2nd job are not worth the time/effort). So how is it "unfair" for those who get their quests done in the time others spend leeching. Furthermore, there is nothing stopping "grinders/leechers" from doing the quests at a later point in time -- NOTHING WHATSOEVER! I feel that this point can only be made by people who for some reason are salty that others get something that they won't, which is nothing but pure FOMO.

Dont forget that the server currently requires an additional source of hp since pink bean got released with the 20k damage attacks. Which is why quest ring is a great idea to provide this additional hp while simultaneously having high potential for the health of the server. See here: https://forum.maplelegends.com/inde...eds-to-be-more-sources-of-hp-available.35255/. Also, feel free to scroll down to see the endless torrent of comments with support for quest ring. I highly doubt these people care that it will be "underwhelming" that the patch comes and they get a ring.

In fact, wasn't the math done by Sku already? As of now, only a tiny proportion of the server's population has over 900 quests done- meaning overwhelming majority of players will still have to go about doing the quests to hit the proposed 900 quest mark.

I'm not gonna respond to points saying "questers have a superiority complex and want to get a medal to feel superior about having done quests" because that is an utterly asinine strawman argument that poisons the well and no one on the pro-quest ring side has ever felt before. You need to not tunnel vision as hard on this as you do for cases like HP washing where it's all about "being fair" or whatever fluffy concept, think about the prospective benefits of the change, such as people doing quests together, questing parties, interesting turbulations in the market due to quest etcs/items being more sought after, etc. Incidentally, unlike the whole debacle about HP washing, this suggestion does not split the community evenly in half between "old players vs new players" and actually has overwhelming community support, aside from a few forum posters.

Ok, I rest my case. Enough arguing with a GM I actually like about a suggested change in a video game private server :p

• Agree Agree x 14
  4. nics

nics Mushmom

Nov 3, 2020
    You forgot, it also takes time to train a mage to self leech. Earn money to buy leech. Many other reason why one might have not done quests i already stated that you seem to ignore. Eg: a leeched up washing character will have virtually no quests done while their first character would have done the quests..

Plus, they did the quests without expecting a quester ring why should they suddenly be rewarded it? Should people that own squishy shoe also get a reward out of no where? or people that have altaire earring and not others?
    People that already spent the time to do quests can keep their ranking / cosmetic quest ring, something like that.

If it's a new content, everyone should be able to enjoy it equally.

Quest ring is a great idea yes.

it is not about the race but progression

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  5. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    3:24 PM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    All it took was some people getting into a heated argument to get the staff response this thread has been waiting for over 7 months.

6. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    Nice I get to claim some credit. In case you all do get a sweet ring in the future, I hope "ADRA" is emblazoned on its sprite

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Wait has no other staff member replied to this before me :confused: I could've sworn someone did... but yea its a great proposal, but with some issues here and there that make it hard to implement. Probably the biggest one would be that wdef and mdef doesn't work as explained in the OP :p it's far more complex and non-sensical in true Neckson fashion xD

Does that mean it (Quest Ring) won't ever come? Who knows? Does that mean it will come? Who knows!

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  8. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    This point I understand a lot more. Adding omni-stats and 1000hp/500mp like monster book ring would be boring and repetitive, and the defence idea, while quite novel, I could already predict wouldn't work since the scaling of defence in this game is so poopy that by the time you're going on horntail, NT and PB I doubt it would do much at all.

9. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    I always hope we remind that staff team isn't different with us, just a human and fan of this awesome mushroom game.
    as fan, and matured person, I hope players don't treat staff members in biased viewpoint, since they're not different with us......

sorry. because of short skill in english, I don't know how to describe what I think exactly. I tried my best.
    I really, really hope you read meaning hidden between lines.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  10. yurain

yurain Windraider

Dec 30, 2019
    YUrain
    I/L Wizard
    Moving on from the agrument. Because it is getting lame to complain that someone played this game more than you do lol.

I think the hardest part of this whole thing to happen is dude to the lack of template?
    Because even the MBR, there is the cards/book thingy in the old maple, that the dev can refer against something to develop with.
    But with the quest ring, i think there is nothing for the dev to refer against. (or is there?)
    From my work experience, i know creating something out of nothing is much harder than referring.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. nics

nics Mushmom

Nov 3, 2020
    Complain?
    upload_2020-11-26_16-35-31.png
    Are people just demanding for free stat ring or is it really helping new players and ML content?

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  12. robert8

robert8 Mushmom

Oct 17, 2018
    Male
    UK
    11:24 PM
    Robert8
    I/L Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    How about a quest ring, similar to the zombie ring now with low stats just to start things off?

Or unlock a few special chairs on the way?

Or just announce a year before its release so everyone can catch up?

13. KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    12:24 AM
    KurayamiLove/Nagrom/Amatista
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    Don't people that have a milion INT have also a mage that leeches them or at least another character that is high enought to provide mesos for leech? They can quest on that as the INT char gets the credit.
    Also reseting all quests could be a bit frustrating for those who already made them all out of fun, and they would mess me up cos I have to repeat all the ToT quest line, the NT one and worst of all..... The Zakum jump quests !!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. nics

nics Mushmom

Nov 3, 2020
    Yeah maybe some annoying quests should be exempted and to clarify, you only repeat quests to increase quest count not to access content.

Similarly, i've already done all the quests out of fun on my mage that his sole purpose is to leech up my int thief. Questing with washing character is not the meta and people like me are screwed. Already leeched past the optimal quest level

All i can think of is 2 separate ring 1 with stats and 1 not, there's already enough ring that people can get via event. The stat-ed ring will only be better by bit and the benefit of it being permanent or maybe be the difference people need in order to fight pb(some new eq mechanics)?

Statless is a cash item ring, rewarded based on your quest count pre update and continues to be upgradeable after update while remaining statless.

stat-ed will have everyone on an even playing field

Just a suggestion, It may even be hard for quests to be made repeatable?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. nics

nics Mushmom

Nov 3, 2020
    xadraxadra. Tell me how there's no "i quest i superior" mentality
    20201128_014225.jpg

16. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    Whatever happened with this?

17. nics

nics Mushmom

Nov 3, 2020
    I'm done with work, i reply, sir. Similarly xarda and pepper said they wont reply anymore, go find fault with them?

18. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    It's fine, I come across as an ass but I mean no harm. It's just funny because you wrote half a book after you posted that.

As for this topic I agree with you that you shouldn't have to either do a bunch of quests or miss out on end game gear and there's merit to leaving quests to the small population that actually enjoys it. I wouldn't want to be "forced" to buy leech either.

The thing is though that currently you have a risk of permanently being locked out of content if you're not careful and it seems to have a pretty negative impact on mostly newcomers. I saw a mapletip yesterday saying don't complicate newbies with things like hp washing etc. but you also don't want people to get into legends then realising after a good while they can't do certain bosses.

Which is why I voted option 2 on this poll, I hope something can be done to alleviate the need for washing but I don't think doing it through quests would be the best way. Still it would be better than current situation though.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    6:24 PM
    iPippy
    Just a reminder that cards can be leeched too. Unless you mean to say that literal level 7 beginners have attained tier 10 on their own. Actually, even with the 'mAgE mEtA', theres tons of good leech exp to be had while double dipping monster cards for the attacker. It will be no different for quests, in fact I tend to low level quest leech my new chars just because it's more interactive than sit and spell leeching. There is no way to prevent this, it's just how multiclient is.

I think I did quests on my first character through maybe level 45, though that was mainly nostalgia fueled on a brawler with high int w/o a mage. Quests fall off fairly quickly into 2nd job even without a mage to leech from, minus a few exceptions like muirhat's golem questline (which is also faster with a mage). They just arent worth doing for exp, but even if they were, people with multiple characters would still leech it exactly the same.

Tl;dr leechers gonna leech through ANY relevant content, the only safe place is content not worth doing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. nics

nics Mushmom

Nov 3, 2020
    Yes i find it funny too, i purposely did not edit it out as you can maybe tell by looking back, i edit my post quite a lot.

Yes i've quit ML B4 at lvl31 sin bcuz of how overwhelming washing is to new player. Came back 4months ltr and made a cleric first.

About the fear of not making right choices and locked out of content. I have briefly thought about it before but these "solution" will probably anger people that have already taken alot of effort to wash. My idea:
    What about the max quest tier ring give players the chance to re-level up their character all the way from lvl1 to their current lvl. They are sent to a map, dropped to lvl1 and click an npc to lvl up 1by1 while they can associate the ap and equip any int gear they have( met requirement to wear). That is their only chance, no redo. But ofcourse they can choose to save the changes or not when leaving the room

But it will also make some ppl OP, wash to 30k, borrow int gear, no mw20

Compensate people that are trying to wash and have dumped int and still trying to lvl up, a full ap reset. And the ability to transfer the re-levelup opportunity from their other acc. Compensate those that finished washing.
    It is flawed but just a rough idea i had

• Disagree Disagree x 4