1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Information September 2023 Balance Changes [Explained]

Discussion in 'Update Notes' started by Nise, Sep 11, 2023.

1. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    3:53 AM
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Maybe the NL nerf we need is a change to the damage formula so that the only people who understand the effects of the change are those who can do the math, and therefore already understand that NLs are insanely out of line in terms of stat value, so we get less complaining.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    6:53 PM
    Its literally old school vanilla damage formula. If a player have deep seated issue against it and find it so busted, what the heck are you doing on this server? Go play GMS.

3. WackyWarlock

WackyWarlock Stone Golem

Mar 21, 2017
    Male
    6:53 AM
    WackyWarlock
    Bishop
    All of them
    Comparing nl to bm is not a fair comparison. Bm is a support DPS class and has the strongest buff in the game which nl depends on. Despite this bm can still do comparable dmg to a nl...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    I mean the actual answer is that leaving the state of the game as is just because the way that it was isn’t healthy for the longevity of the server. Other classes have received enormous amounts of custom attention, abilities, and formulas on ML including Marksmen, Shadowers, and Buccs in a way that helps underrepresented classes find a place in gameplay. Most people don’t have an issue with this because it helps keep things stable and prevents classes from being entirely dead.

The opposite can happen, too. I’m not saying this is actually happening, but in a theoretical world where NLs do 10x the damage of everyone else because that’s how it could have been back in the day, and everyone ends up playing NL and nothing else, the server would probably die.

There’s a balancing act to be done by staff where they try to nudge things in a direction that will prevent the server from entering a death spiral while either positively affecting gameplay or minimizing negative effects. NLs are hardly unplayable right now, in fact they’re still probably overall the best class in the game. There’s nothing wrong with making custom changes to the game to maintain server health, provided it’s done with good justification.

Note that my previous comment was a joke, and I thought it was pretty obviously a sarcastic remark, as the math involved is incredibly simple. For what it’s worth, I don’t have particularly strong feelings on NLs personally at the moment. I usually don’t care if something is broken or too strong because I will happily just abuse it myself, and I’d much rather see BT address things that are too weak instead, such as DKs.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    5:53 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    I think vanilla formula is fine but I’m not sure if it was intended in conjunction with so many 30% scrolls, scrolled gears, or base/total stats as we do on Legends. Lots of stuff were added over the years that amplify NL scaling relative to other classes like apples, gelts, facestompers, and increased ws/cs rates

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. Hiyo

Hiyo Headless Horseman Retired Staff

Sep 21, 2016
    Kuwait
    1:53 PM
    Hiyo
    Camper
    To add on to what beegorattobeegoratto said, I do think its fine to have NL be the king when buffs are considered and that weaker classes are improved, but there’s much more than just damage. I do think at the moment, things are mostly fine but my hopes is that there’s more utility provided from other classes in some way and that DKs specifically have an easier time playing the class but allow for skilled DKs to output crazier damage. Sadly there aren’t many classes but all classes can provide some utility with the exception of NL, Sair and Archmages. (Unless mini bean clearing is considered utility)

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    6:53 PM
    I'm sure staff intends well, but I'm saying its a dangerous game to play while tweaking with some of the core aspects of the game.

To be fully balanced, every class needs to have a single target dps skill, full map attack, and some form of teleport/flash jump. Viola, welcome to modern maplestory.

There are skills and formulas affecting class identity are really taboo to touch. Raising archer passive crit dmg from 40% vanilla to 50%, fine. If we start giving crit to another class, that would be too much for some people. Even the change like assassinate not requiring dark sight, urgh its literally modern maple.
    Of course we are not there yet, but chipping away at the integrity of old school maple will reach a breaking point for everyone at a certain point.

• Agree Agree x 6
  8. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    7:53 AM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    the cheeses trolled me once, nowadays I use mana pill on ht

9. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    in counter point, ulu2 drops craven, nightghost drops cfa30, all u need to farm both is a naked fp mage (for nightghost less)

10. fengstar

fengstar Orange Mushroom

Apr 21, 2020
    Male
    the bay
    Diggy
    Night Lord
    Twice
    I wouldn't say it's particularly hard to farm any level 100 weapon or scrolls.

Honestly the cost of admission to play any class is there. I'm not strong in comparison with the people I boss with, but I'm okay with that because I enjoy playing the class.
    However making alchemist essentially obsolete, shortening shadow star duration and increasing recharge costs affects the average player much more than the funded end game ones. They aren't addressing damage, they're making it cost even more to play the class.

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    I agree with you that all the nerfs to NL disproportionately affect unfunded players, but would you really rather have had a nerf that hurts the funded players more? Would you have preferred that the damage of the class was reduced instead? This means that proportionately, the unfunded players would lose less damage than the funded ones, due to the high scaling of nightlord.

• Creative Creative x 1
  12. WackyWarlock

WackyWarlock Stone Golem

Mar 21, 2017
    Male
    WackyWarlock
    Bishop
    All of them
    If having slightly less dmg will make the other classes happy I'd rather have that than make the class have super high maintenance cost which basically gatekeeps newer players from being able to afford running nl.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. fengstar

fengstar Orange Mushroom

Apr 21, 2020
    Male
    the bay
    Diggy
    Night Lord
    Twice
    I think if anybody works hard to fund their class they shouldn't be taxed more for their extra effort. In my opinion a nerf shouldn't target a certain group of players more than others. I don't really have a proper answer to your questions but personally I'd rather flat out do less damage than have to pay more to play the class and/or have my skills neutered.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    Pour one out for the classes which both do less damage and have to pay more to play

• Agree Agree x 7
  15. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    When I first found out how many Sushis a DK has to pay for for a single Toad run I felt physically ill. This was back before the NLC pot changes when Sushis were considered disgustingly expensive.

16. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    It most certainly isn't a targeted effort. It's just the natural way of things with revenue and expenses. While expenses have gotten higher for everyone, only those with lesser earning potential feel the expenses cutting into a larger percentage of their profit margins. However, bossing as a whole has gotten more profitable as well. I'd speculate that a lot of people aren't considering their coin earnings as part of their splits, which is why they feel so meso poor. Sure, it feels weird to sell coins for mesos as it feels like you're backsliding on your progress, but in the long run, most players outside of super inefficient characters like 7k hp BMs running HT should be making a profit on average in end game content, otherwise it'd be abandoned. Challenge system will help players like that though, so there should be more economic-based inclusivity in the future. And to give a perspective of end-game/funded perspective, it feels weird for us too when 'repotting' for the content we run involves forking over large quantities of pcoin, but we just accept that this is how things are now.

What are your thoughts on other classes who have always paid a higher expense just to run the same content as you? Was it unfair then?

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    bms disagre with bow att 30 and self farm, but i got u point

18. fengstar

fengstar Orange Mushroom

Apr 21, 2020
    Male
    the bay
    Diggy
    Night Lord
    Twice
    Well people choose which class they want to play. I wouldn't say it's unfair some classes spend more mesos on pots for example, because the whole point of a thief is having high avoid and being able to dodge more attacks. What does seem unfair is skyrocketing recharge costs so we have to pay more to pay the class lol.
    That and making our class specific skills worthless. In my opinion directly nerfing damage percentages make much more sense.

19. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    That's not true, though. You always have the option of using cheaper stars. Again, it's about managing expenses, especially if you aren't willing to do content that pays more.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  20. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Actually this is an interesting way of looking at it. If you use cheaper stars, it's like you have old recharge cost with less damage, like requested, but you also have the option of paying more for more damage if you want, kind of like using apples. That's a pretty unique tradeoff.

• Like Like x 2