1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Stop profit incentives for camping area bosses

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by br0kenstratz, May 18, 2021.

1. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    8:08 AM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Add the camper to your buddy list and ask them to party with you so you can get the kill for the quest.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  2. FxckBanshee

FxckBanshee Slime

Apr 22, 2021
    Male
    Netherlands
    5:08 PM
    Bxnshee
    Spearman
    Community
    Not a big fan of being called a liar.

It happened on Mysterious Path 3, there was a lad standing on the entrance boats of the map and remained there for a good 20 to 30 minutes. Since he was AFK I decided to kill some mobs, which I did for the aforementioned time up until he came back from being AFK. Once he was no longer AFK he asked me to leave because he was map-owner, so I used to @mapowner command to check if I was the map owner and to my surprise he was somehow still the map owner. Unsure as to why this happened, perhaps it was a glitch on my/the servers side since I was well within level range to claim mapownership, however since I am unfamiliar with the system this left me under the impression that mapownership does not expire.

I will redact my previous suggestion to map-ownership since I have now been informed of how the system works, but I would highly appreciate it if you would refrain from calling me a liar :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    [​IMG]

If your story is based off of your listed character, it makes a lot more sense. You're level 50. MP3 mobs are lvl 60 and 63. You cannot retain map ownership unless you're within 10 levels of the highest level mob in the map. More likely, what happened in the story was that there was no mapowner for the entire 30 minutes the person was afk, and they happened to reclaim the map from you since you never had claim to it.

When anecdotes directly conflict with expected outcomes, it's generally safer to assume a lapse in memory or storytelling. A lie stemming from ignorance is a lie nonetheless. I didn't mean to offend when I said the story itself was probably a lie (in which this case, it probably was).

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    Specifically, if you are underleveled, and you do the mapowner command, it says in red that you cannot claim mapowner until level of mob -5.

5. FxckBanshee

FxckBanshee Slime

Apr 22, 2021
    Male
    Netherlands
    Bxnshee
    Spearman
    Community
    upload_2021-5-19_1-27-41.png

I was, and still am, perfectly able to claim map ownership of MP3. Like I mentioned before, it was most likely an anomaly. I fail to understand what I would have to gain from fabricating this story about a server that I play on for at most an hour every day, and am therefore not going to argue about it any further.

6. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    If you are able to kill the highest level mob in the map you will get mapowner afaik. He probably just didn't notice the (afk) person kill once in a while to keep ownership

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. eliyuh

eliyuh Mushmom

Apr 22, 2021
    Male
    11:08 AM
    In the time you spent making this post, the boss you're looking for has probably spawned hehe. Boss timers, especially for the lv 50 quests, are pretty generous and the maps aren't terrible to grind in while you wait either.
    In reference to map ownership, I think it's a bigger problem for exp bosses, since most mules camping them have no reason to even kill them, in my eyes, thats aboos.
    MP3 is a pretty big map, its more than likely you just didn't see him attack, but who knows, maybe its a bug :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    You're right. My mistake. I think the issue with mapownership arises usually from situations where bosses spawn at a much higher level than the normal mobs (Himes/Tengu), where the people that grind at the map cannot claim ownership whenever the boss spawns.

However, I still stand by my words. It's generally best practice to attribute an inconsistency on lapse of memory or ignorance (in this case, the possibility that the person wasn't actually afk and was killing mobs while you were out of vision) than to attribute it to a completely new assumption (glitch/anomaly).

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Jackii Kon

Jackii Kon Dark Stone Golem

Sep 21, 2015
    Male
    Dragon Knight
    :(
    This. I was doing my ToT questline and waited 3:30h for Dodo to spawn, went afk for 10min to do something irl just to get the map yoinked from me. Asked the guy to party since A. The boss gives like 40k exp so lmao and B. I only need the kill, not loot or cards, so he agreed.

Talk to people.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Doguu

Doguu Pink Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
    I/L Wizard
    It's kinda crazy how nobody brings up a full perspective of this. It's frustrating for me as well so I was going to make a thread on it but that seems pretty futile when I take a look here... It seems like most people that disagree this is an issue don't realize how polarized this discussion is.

Most casual players are pretty annoyed when they see a lvl153 bishop camping Stumpy for instance. Sure you can say "wait x amount of time for the spawn" but even then it's disadvantageous and unenticing for the casual who probably isn't multi-clienting and has to do nothing but bide his time holding the map while the more dedicated player will probably reap all the other channels of the rewards knowing timers and probably has another character to bide his time with until then. You could say they should multi-client but that will definitely turn off a lot of players early on, especially when it starts to seem like a necessity that early on. You could also say "ask the camper for info," but if the newbie is frustrated with the boss not being alive and he sees a potential culprit he's probably not in the friendliest of moods, especially to the person in question. I could go on but the main thing is "You can say x" but the bottom line is a lot of players wouldn't enjoy partaking in what you're recommending and it's a turn off to them that they feel like their being snubbed out of an experience in not doing so.

I'm 100% a filthy casual in this game, I have a lvl120 I/L and a lvl29 islander then a couple characters I play with my friends when they feel like it and I can confirm it's a terrible feeling. It's not only bossing either, there's a lot of things in this game that makes the experience feel completely run by elites, i.e. leeching, mapowner, market crowded chat (at this point, yes it's useful but it's aids to new players, I think around lvl40 I made this forum account to ask how to mute it lol), and so on... I admit these have their place but saying any of these is without problems is dumbfounded.

Back to bossing specifically, it's obvious there IS a problem (if you disagree and say "it's nostalgic not let newbies kill bosses" monster book is v67 and that's why even bosses with no drops are contested) but the issue is there's no agreed upon/feasible solution. I'm personally fine with anything that's already been brought up other than more channels, more channels honestly is just more rewards (the only thing this changes is monster cards can get done quicker). So to go over some solutions: spawn conditions, kill limits, personal mini-dungeons, timer changes, drop changes, and monster card revision. Feel free to bring up more I haven't seen mentioned.

Bosses could be given a spawn conditions on top of the 8 that naturally appear throughout the channels, this could make questing less of a headache when you're in a groove of completing quests that take anywhere from like 5 to 20 mins in the beginning of the game and all of the sudden you're waiting for a 3 hours boss timer. Spawn conditions could be as simple as dropping an etc/use item at the spawn point to force a spawn. This is also what I mean by kill limits and could be tied into personal mini-dungeons as well. There could be a kill limit like Capt. Latanica where you can only enter the map twice a day (except more like a "spawn limit"). This could also be done within mini-dungeons, which I think would be better than just flat out adding mini-dungeons that act as another normal map since you could enter with a party and spawn the boss however required. I get this could be a bit much to ask of the dev team, but bossing kinda stinks right now and I think this would be the best out of the rest of the solutions.

Drop changes, monster card revisions and timer changes are all pretty self-explanatory so I wont necessarily describe them (timer is a bit dumb, people just say make them random so bosses are harder to camp). Although they would be pretty easy solutions, I don't think they're the best of both worlds because unless the drop changes are favorable to single-target classes, the market would go even more into bishop/mages' favors I think as well as steer the elite away from bossing, which I'd rather everyone have a good time bossing rather than only elites (current) or only noobs.

tl;dr trying to boss is frustrating for noobs and most dedicated players don't see it that way, there are solutions on the table but some favor one party over another and some are technically hard to implement which I'd never blame the dev team

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Discor

Discor Slimy

Nov 29, 2017
    Male
    6:08 PM
    I/L Arch Mage
    NANI
    This is probably the only possible solution.
    I see a lot of treads on the forum trying to improve the area bossing situation like this one : https://forum.maplelegends.com/inde...at-it-isnt-a-thing-anymore.40343/#post-269172 . but they ignore the main issue which are the long timers , in my opinion all bosses with a timer of more then 1 hour should be change to a solution from the quote above.

I really can't understand people who defend the timer system, it is abusable, unpleasant, frustrating and gate keeps several area bosses, because unless you have many hours of free time to camp them there is no way in hell you will ever get to kill it.
    p.s if any one want to suggest to wait for maintenance, then it has the same demand of free time and being able to log in when the server goes online, on top of being rare. So it is not a solution.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Discor

Discor Slimy

Nov 29, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    NANI
    I mean just imagine for a minute the mayhem and the riots if the huge bosses like Zak and HT will be a timer based area boss? people would revolt and demand it to be changed back! because we all know that the long timers are cancer, and being able to to take map owner for bosses like Pianus and Balrog by just leaving an afk mule is stupid.
    so if we really want people to be able to engage in area boss content lets fix the problem and not its symptoms.
    At least for bosses which are needed for a quest, this is the bare minimum dissent thing to do.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    Alright so Mano is a boss you need to kill for a quest. Are you proposing that we should be able to spawn it on demand once a day on each character? That would mean someone with 100+ fame mules can spawn Mano that many times a day?

The current situation isn't ideal but this seems a bit much.

14. Oradious

Oradious Mr. Anchor

Aug 28, 2018
    Male
    11:08 PM
    Oradious
    F/P Arch Mage, Gunslinger, Buccaneer
    Pasta
  15. Discor

Discor Slimy

Nov 29, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    NANI
    As said before you will need to do something to spawn it, like killing and collecting mob etc (like ravana for example).
    I mean a person with 100+ high lvl mules can spawn 200+ times pap or latanica, and it is fine.
    From my understanding you say that someone can easily make 100+ low lvl mules and farm bosses like crazy, but low lvl bosses do not drop significant items and if someone is dedicated enough to make a lot of high lvl mules... well then he deserves the prize for his effort.

What I am trying to say that multiclienting is already wrecking havoc in the server ( 4 mage ulu2 comes to mind), so I do not see an issue with making Mano force spawn for lets say 200 of each slime shell or something like that .

16. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    11:08 PM
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    gonna bump on this again
    https://forum.maplelegends.com/inde...d-entry-mini-dungeons-anego-samurai-bf.38290/

having entry-per-day bosses for quests and timer boss for both quest and loots

would like to hear your take on it, as we both pull and push around different ideas

• Like Like x 1
  17. Doguu

Doguu Pink Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
    I/L Wizard
    Ideally he's spawned by an item that is obtainable within the map but is at the very least less common, something like axe or sap for Stumpy for instance. I understand there could be bosses where there aren't items like that in every instance so sometimes common items will have to do. It could also be something like magic/summoning rocks or fabricated etc items. As for 100+ characters if they reaaally want to go through the trouble, the daily boss spawns could be account/ip related instead of character related. This is already the case for voting and events, it could be considered an offense if you attempt to work around it.

18. Discor

Discor Slimy

Nov 29, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    NANI
    I like the idea, it is sad to loose the items but it is better then the system at the moment.

personally I would like to implement the idea of boss dungeons for exp AND drops, but add a price of entry, ETC for example.
    Make it in the same way as latanica and ravana ( I personaly really like the system for them), go grind ETC and get a prize of a boss dungeon. It will be more rewarding to collect the ETC instead of just NPC them and will add a new commodity to the FM. I am not sure about economic balance, so to not go over board we can limit the dungeons to a one per day entry.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Discor

Discor Slimy

Nov 29, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    NANI
    this will be hell to implement, confusing to people who do not use the forum, and a VPN may easily be a work around.

this is the same reason why multiclienting will never stop being a thing.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    I'm trying to understand how you would see this implemented. Can you just drop the etc at the boss spawn point with any level character or do you want a quest with a min level requirement.

This would be a huge change depending how it's implemented and Ravana/Papulatus require a high level character to summon and kill while their drops aren't all that much better than some of the below level 70 bosses.