1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Monster Book drops at 5 cards

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kimmy, Jul 13, 2018.

Should cards stay visible after you've collected 5 of the type?

Poll closed Jul 20, 2018.
  1. Yes - I want alert friends when an important card dropped I don't need anymore

121 vote(s)
    73.8%
  2. No - They are cluttering the drops

43 vote(s)
    26.2%
  1. Rapskal

Rapskal Chronos

Nov 1, 2017
    Male
    12:20 AM
    Rapskal
    Night Lord
    Lost
    Ah sorry I didn't realise how old the monsterbook thing is. It must've come out soon after I stopped playing so it probably wouldn't affect most people here. My bad SlimeSweat2

• Like Like x 1
  2. Poofcakes

Poofcakes Pizzatarian Retired Staff

May 8, 2015
    Female
    The Netherlands
    4:20 PM
    Monster Book was released in GMS in version 0.67 (8 Apr 2009) (source).

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  3. DL4u

DL4u Pink Teddy

Mar 30, 2018
    Male
    5:20 PM
    DL4u
    Hermit
    Simplex
    This is a bad idea in my opinion cause if I want to give the card to a friend or someone specific a random guy just can show up and loot it and be gone without taking a screenshot of him
    When I can loot it you can still have a chance to take it before a stealer
    Anyway in my opinion all thought you said you don’t take options for both I think you should make it as fame system when you write @fame and choose between visible or not
    I think you should keep it that way anyway

4. Poofcakes

Poofcakes Pizzatarian Retired Staff

May 8, 2015
    Female
    The Netherlands
    Why would you have to take a screenshot of him?

5. Chris

Chris Zakum Retired Staff

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    10:20 AM
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    Agree with you on this.

When you're actively collecting cards it somewhat of a fun new thing to do from the norms of a v62 server but nothing is more annoying to me when I'm grinding in one map for a long period of time seeing all the monster book cards for that particular mob. Something about them just isn't nostalgic to me whatsoever and has partly become a bitter sweet turn off to me. It's not like I don't agree with not being able to see them for bosses or if you're helping out friends with cards you would want to be able to see them, I understand that, its just nothing is absolutely more annoying to me when I see a card I don't desire, and then see it a shit load more times.

And I think that msg after you've collected 5 cards when picking up the same card speaks for itself in how annoying it is.

6. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Since demand to get rid of the 'you got 5 cards' message is overwhelming I have decided to do this already for next restart:
    https://kimberly.s-ul.eu/iAIaek2K

• Like Like x 3
  7. Heartiess

Heartiess Guest

3:20 PM
    So the specific sight of a card is annoying to you? Or the message? Because if the message is gone, it turns into any other loot. I cant even comprehend how its annoying if you can just loot your items and it just disappears after being looted.
    Your drops will be cluttered if you dont pick up items regardless of if monstercards drop or not

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Fishy

Fishy Skelegon Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2017
    Male
    7:20 AM
    Eiji
    Dark Knight
    Beaters
    prob the best solution tbh lol.

9. DL4u

DL4u Pink Teddy

Mar 30, 2018
    Male
    DL4u
    Hermit
    Simplex
    If I remember right after talking to Nise while hunting mushmom boss cards two of the cards got stolen cus it was ‘just on the ground’ two days later I see a new rule that if someone loot other stuff when he own the map owner he can get banned
    That is the reason if u won’t able to take something so it’s a bad idea in my opinion, you hunt so it’s your own loot and saddenly some people don’t get it if they hear “no”

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. fofo

fofo Red Snail

May 28, 2015
    Male
    Stockton
    Autophagia
    Hunter
    I would prefer it to be like GMS and have the card be invisible after 5. Would rather have someone that needs the card get it than my pet accidentally looting it lol. Obviously it wouldn't make a difference when you're training on a map alone, but less clutter is always nice imo MapleF17

I also like this idea as well. Kind of a "best of both worlds" thing coolmush

11. Chris

Chris Zakum Retired Staff

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    I rarely loot anything, the cards specifically annoy me tho.

12. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    8:20 AM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    I remember when you made card drops completely untradable and everyone went nuts. The main legit argument was that players partying and farming cards could no longer help each other if they happened to get extra cards. This suggestion once again ruins that, making it much more difficult if not impossible to help each other.

I would suggest just leaving it as is. It's really not that big of a deal to see a message in the chat box.

• Like Like x 1
  13. kalash

kalash Headless Horseman

Oct 18, 2016
    Male
    Kalash
    Night Lord
    Halcyon
    Isn't this more or less the dame issue as corneans marrow? Why not treat it the same way

14. Biabras

Biabras Blue Snail

Jan 22, 2018
    Male
    LifeIsAdog
    Cleric
    Don't change anything, leave it as it is. Omg

15. DrJason

DrJason Windraider

May 30, 2018
    Male
    Canada
    DrJason, Zrar, WhyDaggers
    Islander, F/P Arch Mage
    Oddjobs
    I agree with you about everything except that original monster book cards were actually very rare, more rare than they are on this server, especially for bosses and uncommon mobs like boogies, faeries, etc (no complaints from me though) MapleF11

In GMS the original cards weren't invisible after 5. Others could loot them like any other drop, and after 5 you could still loot them and get that message in the chat box. You would also get a buff for every card collected (some mobs would give trash buffs like + 3 speed, others would give +15% drop rate, etc. that would last for like 15 minutes.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Marchilles/Annolis/ Atlan/Katroz/ Chokal/Corvack/Tisif/ Quallo/Crisilixin/Forg/ Nannosh/Tylius
    Crusader, White Knight, Dragon Knight, F/P Mage, I/L Mage, Priest, Ranger, Sniper, Hermit, Chief Bandit, Marauder, Outlaw
    Eternals
    The purpose of Monster Cards in MapleLegends is to allow players to get Monster Card Tier Rings. If they were exceptionally rare, it would make HP washing more appealing. I understand you're not complaining, I'm just stating this for clarification. The rings would negate the necessity for temporary boosts upon acquiring the 5th card. As I've argued in many other threads, while this is a nostalgia server - not everything from the original GMS was a good thing. We don't want to have nostalgia about horribleness. Kimberly makes the necessary changes so that we enjoy every aspect of the game; not be dragged through parts of the misery of old times. :)

17. DrJason

DrJason Windraider

May 30, 2018
    Male
    Canada
    DrJason, Zrar, WhyDaggers
    Islander, F/P Arch Mage
    Oddjobs
    Yes I agree, the GMS drop rates were too poor to be enjoyable (as evidenced by the fact that very few people tried to collect them all). At least personally, the purpose of the monster cards isn't just a means to an end (having more HP), but as a big part of the gameplay itself (similar to questing or other completionist goals).
    In GMS you would actually receive the buffs for every card, not just your 5th+ ones (I've seen people state that multiple times on the forums so I feel I need to clarify it). But yes I agree the trouble of getting these buffs to work in ML isn't worth it, especially since we get a ring that far exceeds those buffs.

I really like the way that Legends has handled the monster book and it's the reason I started playing on this server.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. jshyy

jshyy Timer

Apr 18, 2015
    Male
    kshyy
    Outlaw
    Would it still be nostalgic if they added the buffs the monster cards give? I don’t know when it was added though. For example if you pick up a mini-boss card you get a buff that temporarily increases the drop rate of the area around the boss. I think its the best compromise for pro vs. con full cardset.