1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Notice on Agent Equipment

Discussion in 'Update Notes' started by Siao, Aug 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gang

Gang Timer

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    4:25 PM
    Gang
    Night Lord
    Demure
    I'm sorry but I heavily disagree with your statements. Your lap of text makes no sense to me. How does selling a property even compare to removing a digital item in a game? What are you smoking?

Of course people are allowed to complain. Guess what, free speech is a thing and if people disagree with a decision the staff has made they can share that opinion in threads like this.

Also, why are you throwing dirt at people sharing their opinion? Toxic? Immature? Delusional? They're sharing their opinion in a mostly civil manner in a forum thread. I'm not sure what kind of safe-zone box you live in but that doesn't seem offensive to me at all. The staff should be happy that people are willing to share their opinions on matters like this, it means they care for this server and what happens with it.

Of course people are going to voice their opinion if something they worked hours and hours for to create or buy is just going to be removed. And sure, they aren't 'entitled' to have these items but that fact alone doesn't mean they can't say anything about them being removed like this. Entitled is such a empty statement anyways. Nobody is entitled to anything here. If Kimberly decides to do a daily roulette to remove random person's items for fun should we just say nothing because nobody is entitled to anything?

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. hsmule5430

hsmule5430 Slimy

Aug 3, 2017
    5:25 PM
    Thief
    please stop playing then its just pixels

3. boldaslove

boldaslove Dark Stone Golem

Jul 19, 2015
    10:25 AM
    BoldAsLove
    I/L Wizard
    Synergy
    We're talking stat points here not even attack? We're talking STATS here not even ATTACK? Wake me up later... I think it's a good decision to remove this garbage and it sucks for everyone who thought a few stat points made them a god. .. i can't believe this outrage over a few luk or dex lol.. If it were 1 or 2 attack I'd understand maybe. I think Kim works a little too hard for this crap over a couple stat points. This is borderline hilarious lol

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. hsmule5430

hsmule5430 Slimy

Aug 3, 2017
    5:25 PM
    Thief
    ye but i need to make new earring now and i dont have money / time
    cant wear my weap w/o it

5. DrJason

DrJason Windraider

May 30, 2018
    Male
    Canada
    10:25 AM
    DrJason, Zrar, WhyDaggers
    Islander, F/P Arch Mage
    Oddjobs
    Didn't you know the items were going to be removed? You had plenty of warning and could have made other earrings in that time...

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    7:25 AM
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    You are allowed to complain only so far as the owner of the service allows you to complain. Free speech in the private sector has, and always will be, a myth perpetuated by people who don't understand America's First Amendment (and what I'm sure many constitutional rights by other countries). It protects people from government interference in the expression of beliefs, but among private establishments and services any degree of censorship is allowed(*aside from downright discrimination). Consider it good graces that Kim allows us to respond, she doesn't need to keep this thread open or respond in any sort of matter, and everything she has responded with has been done out of respect to her player base.

For every developer like Kim there are dozens more who would simply shut down the discussion, and for that I appreciate Kim's patience in dealing with this thread. She's expressed her thoughts and has given us her reasoning as a part of game integrity. The GMs have admitted it was a mistake and apologized. This is nothing we are owed, this is something we have been given freely.

If my park metaphor isn't good, then maybe a library one would make more sense. You check out a book. Does this book belong to you? Nope, it belongs to the library. That is the nature of online data for the most part. Unless you're the library you don't actually own anything, but you're free to take part in it. The data that comprises your characters and items are not yours. You cannot physically own them and have no legal right to own them. If Neckson wanted to they could take down the server because the core pieces of the code belongs to them. The code is Neckson's by law and the server is Kim's by the fact that she rents the server space. Everything else in game are just the lies we tell ourselves to make it seem as though our items or achievements can clearly define us as people. We are latching on to the immaterial and convincing ourselves it is material, and that is where the delusion is derived. Not that I'm saying to latch on to the material though, that is a foolishness I don't want to address here and Ecclesiastes does that well enough.

What if... People have other reasons to play other than in game items? Hard to grasp, right?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. InJack

InJack Slime

Feb 13, 2018
    Male
    11:25 PM
    InDit
    Beginner
    Agreeeeeeeeee, i don think they will give a fuck about players opinion or comment.They totally live in their own bubble, controlling the game however they want, dictate everything.

8. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    8:25 AM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Ohhh... so this is just a game now is it? Just pixels? I guess nobody should be wasting even a minute of their time on just pixels.

In other words, if you downplay things like items, levels, mesos in the game as "just pixels", you are basically denigrating the whole server, the entire game, as something worthless that no one should care about.

Is that really where we want to go? Shut the server down if it's all meaningless, worthless pixels.

9. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    7:25 AM
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    I suppose that's the reality of materialists, they are incapable of finding any meaning beyond the cold, stringent facts and numbers of life. This never was, nor was it ever a critique of the game to make it into something meaningless, this is a critique of the individuals who believe so strongly that material makes the game. My intentions are to cause reflection among the community, and to shine a light on certain attitudes that I see as detrimental to any gaming community.

Everyone ought to ask themselves why they played at three points: when they initially started, when they were a mid-level, and when they began taking part in high level content. If anyone is anything like me, their goals during all 3 stages are very similar but their motivations for doing so change. Personally, it was the nostalgia that brought me in, the community that made me stay, then it was my own desire for more that kept me here long term, until realizing just how erroneous that sort of thought was.

I can respect people coming into the game for nostalgic purposes, and I can respect people who stay for the sense of community and the friendships they make, because those reasons can add meaning and fulfillment to a person's life. But I can only show disdain for those people who choose to whine and flame because they're taking a .3% dps decrease as a result of a GM's action.

One day this server will be gone, and everyone will move on with their lives. Will this issue have mattered in the slightest then? The only way I can see it mattering is as a learning experience. This life is transient, and at the end this will have been one great farce. From there you can choose to be happy regardless of that fact, choose to fight against it, or choose to work towards some greater belief. Every other choice we make not in tune with one of them is a waste of time, and being salty over some virtual shoes or earrings most certainly applies.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    Siao

Siao Headless Horseman Retired Staff

Jul 15, 2017
    Female
    10:25 PM
    I get that everyone is mad. This is one of the major fucked ups we had in this server and we admitted, it was indeed an oversight back then and we allowed this to go on for more than half a year before deciding to announce back in February that we will be removing this. As explained by Nise and Kimberly, I don't have to repeat why we decided to do a clean wipe on this equip.

If we don't give a fuck about players opinions or comments, we wouldn't be doing polls every now and then, coming up with new events or new contents, having discussion on how to make the server more balanced. Weekly restart wouldn't even happen, fixing bugs or taking suggestions wouldn't be in the question.

Just because 1 major fucked up happened, hours/weeks/months of time and hard work invested in making this server a better one is wiped out and not recognized anymore. It is indeed hard to please everyone, but I can assure you that this would be the last major issue we had, and despite the backlash, we are still working hard to bring this server to new heights.

We appreciate all comments contributed in this post, but it seems like it is turning into a circular argument. This thread is now closed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.