1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

What if Maple Legends started over? "Hypothetically"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FireMushroom, Oct 2, 2018.

1. FireMushroom

FireMushroom Horny Mushroom

Nov 28, 2016
    12:58 PM
    So in looking at some old threads in various places, I have a tricky time figuring out if people are serious or not serious when they talk about the subject of a wipe. Like most players, I would guess that not many would want to do it unless there were some incredible and amazingly good reasons to justify such an extreme action. This is not to suggest doing anything but only to go fishing for opinions in a hypothetical scenario.

In thinking about this hypothetical, there were a number of areas of interest about Maplestory and perhaps some logic in what it means to play Maplestory. The biggest downside would be everyone losing progress but then what could the upsides be? Based from information from several places, here are some of the topics that seemed to be important.

1. Gachapon: A while ago on a forum someplace there was a long discussion and debate about this. I didn't follow the topic to the end but the last time I checked, the most agreed on direction for the system was to have junk in it or none at all. The reasoning being something about voting for Nx and something about marketplace and economy reasons. I think the best way to word it is "what would a server Free market look like if Gachapon did not have much effect?" (although that is only my interpretation)

2. EXP rate: Times 2 EXP is like having a permanent event! But what if the rate went lower and there were no EXP events and (still) no EXP cards? Maplestory before Big bang was really slow. So slow in fact that a lot probably wonder how/ why people ever played it back then? To make a lot of words that another player said short, "it was about the journey and not the destination." It might sound like madness to WANT x1 EXP but if someone is legit wondering how Maplestory was back then that is what it was. You may ask, what is the point in playing a game where almost nobody can finish it except for a few like Tiger? (whom was allegedly a hacker or multiple people or something)

To answer that would be the question of what is the point in playing Maplestory in the first place? The final answer to both of those is that you would need to try it for yourself to find out.
    That is the reason I would lean a little bit to going hard with x1 EXP. Think about it for a moment, if you could play with an EXP rate of like 1 million, would that make gameplay feel better or worse? I will admit that with lower rates on everything, people might not be able to get as far as they would like but whatever milestone that they do manage to reach could be that much more rewarding. According to what I saw, there might not be a big number of people who would willingly choose x1 over something higher but I think that they have the right mind set. Do people play because its easy or because parts of Maplestory can be tough? Also there does not seem to be any good servers out there that use x1 rates. As far as I know.

3. Leech/ Hp wash: I still have no opinion on these in either case but I wonder if there is such a thing as a Leech/ Hp wash culture? I'm not going to say I see them as bad but I guess its true that they could make the gap between newb players and veterans bigger than it might need to be? Could someone be rejected from a party due to no HP wash? I suppose that a new player might be fearful of that happening. Removing AP resets or making them cost more seems like a fair trade off since everyone can get Nx. If not, I can see where new players might mistakenly get an idea that the game is more about HP washing than actually Maplestory. I'm not against Leech/ Hp wash but it just seems like a loop hole that maybe should be closed?

I will bet there are more pros and cons but these 3 seemed pretty big. I cant say if it would be wise to try and chase after the "perfect" server. Maybe it would be good to only make a few adjustments here and there to keep the game fair and balanced? I know that lots of people feel different about the EXP rates but I still think the lower it is the better. If someone plans to play Maplestory for a long time anyway might as well go with the hardcore mode, even if it takes forever. What do you think about the 3 things from above? Is it possible that a wipe would not be worth it under any circumstance? Could there be other solutions that fix inequalities without starting the world over?

I repeat, this is not for a suggestion but only for getting opinions and gathering other peoples feedback on the topics of interest.
    In my opinion, Legends is fine just the way it is but if we hypothetically wanted to make it better then this is the challenge I would think of.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  2. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    6:58 PM
    Moderator Post
    So many of these threads keep popping up that I think by now people memorized what I like and dislike, so I won't say it again in this thread. There's a lot of threads everywhere where people leave their thoughts or wishes if there ever was a second world or whatever, and I don't think we need yet another one.

However, one server that I keep unnamed have proven once again that if you open a second server/world that the current one will completely die, first day of announcement.

• Like Like x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    FireMushroom

Nov 28, 2016
    In the grand scheme of things, double EXP seems like one of the better server rates. When Maple Legends was just getting started, did you consider having it be lower or higher? What was the deciding factor to keep it at x2?

4. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    9:58 AM
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    I like the idea of a wipe more and more as everything becomes more advanced, and as the community has grown into something that is actually a majority consisting of end-game players. Starting over gives everyone an even playing ground, and a chance to fix many of the things that there are disagreements about. Like AP Resets could be dropped in price to help alleviate washing, or alternative methods could be thought up, or the party experience formula can be changed to give less exp to the leeches(But if that's done, then the Priest's Shining Ray should be buffed marginally to make up for that loss, given how priests earn exp)

I'd also like to see the wipe decided upon well in advance if there ever is one. An announcement made six months to a year in advance would be nice to see, it would give everyone a chance to finish their characters and celebrate the coming doom.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    I have explained this many times in different topics like I've mentioned. To keep it short. MapleLegends was originally supposed to be a new home for Private Server 'ClassicMS' which was 1x/1x/1x. It was turned into 2x/1x/1x because I hate 2x EXP cards in Private Servers, because they don't work and make people only grind with them activated.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    FireMushroom

Nov 28, 2016
    I have heard of people that really like the AP resets but also those that would like them to disappear. As far as me, I'm kind of on the fence about the item.

I love this answer!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Sam_Vosh

Sam_Vosh Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

Jan 24, 2015
    Female
    Somewhere over a fictional rainbow
    SamVosh
    Bowmaster
    Halcyon
    As someone who has put in a lot of hours when she could. If the server would wipe, I would not be the first to say that I would not come back again. Too much progress in my character which draws me back in the few hours I still want to play MapleLegends. Unfortunate side effect of becoming an adult in the span of time I've been here.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    oh, one more thing. The 3x Quest EXP was not yet during closed beta. However, someone suggested it during the beta, and we approved it. No regrets though, I think it's a nice addition.
    https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/3x-quest-exp.2137/

9. DrJason

DrJason Windraider

May 30, 2018
    Male
    Canada
    DrJason, Zrar, WhyDaggers
    Islander, F/P Arch Mage
    Oddjobs
    And I believe at one point Neckson added a x3 Quest Exp card (analogous to the x2 exp cards) so it would make thematic sense (honestly I thought that's why we had x3 quest exp). And my least favourite thing about private servers are huge drop rates (worse than huge exp rates) so I am really glad this is a "x1 drop" server (even though the drop rates aren't the same as the real server).

10. Qwiox

Qwiox Mr. Anchor

Dec 20, 2017
    Male
    Los Angeles
    GhenghisKhan
    Hero
    Beaters
    While I do find your points quite valid in searching for a close to vanilla server, I think you have to take into consideration the progress Legends has been taking into for the 3 years that it has been up. Keeping resources limited like gachapon or leveling progression means that you basically have to nerf so many other aspects of the game to balance things out. Consider that even in the purest environment, people would still be able to find certain exploits. Unless this was the selling point of the server from the start, how many people would actually be wanting to play that hardcore? Want a zakum helmet, ok I'll sell you for 300m just cause 5 players in the whole server have put in hundreds of hours into the game to get to killing level

• Like Like x 3
  11. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    10:58 AM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    If there was an announcement that the server would be wiped in 6 months, the server would be deserted for that entire time. This would be for obvious reasons. Why would you want to keep playing or doing anything if you know your progress was going to be wiped?

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Konnui

Konnui Timer

Jun 9, 2017
    Konnui
    Shadower
    Agape
    the avengers infinity war was an interesting movie and has an exciting climax. i rather we enjoy our time and welcome new avengers instead of pulling a thanos.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  13. Marc Antony

Marc Antony Master Chronos

Mar 24, 2016
    Male
    Reagan
    Shadower
    Brave
    I have played a lot of 1x servers and can guarantee you it is not romantic. Low rate servers that are 2x or 4x are the ideal way to experience pre-BB Maplestory. Legends especially is only 2x. On 1x servers that have cards and events active, the only time people train at all is during 2x events. The rest of the time they just stand in the FM. And 1x servers never peak past 100 people. Reverting to a 1x server is regressing back to 2012 where there were no stable pre-BB servers or there were ones that didn't understand how to make Oldschool Maple work. Let's learn from their mistakes and keep 2x so our server can continue to flourish.

As for leeching and HP washing, that isn't because of a tryhard culture, but just because they're solutions to problems. It takes thousands of hours to level a character up to bossing levels. Or you can leech, and skip some. Most classes simply cannot survive at Horntail. So, HP wash. It's a problem with the game, not with the community. Leeching can only be addressed by changing either XP rates, XP curves, or party XP, but changing any of those would just cause other problems. Changing HP wash would require a brute force class redesign where everyone has enough HP to Horntail.

Not to mention, resetting the server would ruin all of my lovely characters!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    10:58 AM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    The "problem" is not the rates or difficulty in getting level 200. Maybe, just maybe, level 200 should be an almost completely impossible goal? The problem would be the community outlook of ppl2pass, over-competitiveness, and an entitlement of reaching level 200.

The HP washing and boss damage certainly is a crippling issue however. And the problem overall is the existence of HP washing mechanic and utter garbage tier of HP scrolls. Now that we have monster book ring and elin ring, I think if HP scrolls actually gave a significant amount of HP, that would be very helpful. And there would be absolutely zero excuses.

Not to mention, without the toxic leeching problem, extreme HP washing wouldn't be possible anyway, as you just wouldn't be able to level a completely useless 600 int NL up by yourself. All extreme HP washing like this does is encourage players to "play" in an extremely unfun way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1