1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

How is damage for bow melee attacks calculated?

Discussion in 'Help & Advice' started by Errikos, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Errikos

Errikos Red Snail

Aug 17, 2015
    5:38 AM
    I was interested in how damage for bow swings when you're too close to enemies was calculated, but couldn't find any kind of formula for it where I would normally go to see damage formulas for various weapons.

I tried testing out what stats effect its damage and got an unusual result I wasn't expecting. On a pure DEX character at level 13 using the free starter bow against blue snails, it did between 1 and 8 damage per hit. On the build where DEX was at the minimum to become a bowman and the rest of the points went into STR tested the same way, the damage range was 5 to 8.

From previous looks at minimum and maximum damage for other weapon types, I would have expected one to have a high maximum damage and a low minimum damage, while the other has a minimum and maximum damage that are very close to each other, with a much lower average. That's how things work with pure STR versus pure DEX builds using any Warrior weapon. In actuality, the maximum damage was unchanged between the two builds despite the minimum damage changing as I expected. It still leaves me perplexed as to how the numbers are actually determined.

2. DrJason

DrJason Windraider

May 30, 2018
    Male
    Canada
    6:38 AM
    DrJason, Zrar, WhyDaggers
    Islander, F/P Arch Mage
    Oddjobs
    I don't have an answer for you, but I am very interested in the formulas MapleStory uses for things. As early as 2006 a bunch of people from Sleepywood.net worked out most of the damage formulas just from trial & error and taking data, doing least-square fits and what not. I do remember that the formula for PKB involved STR more than DEX, and I think the bow whacking damage was similarly calculated. When Sleepywood.net died and everyone moved to Southperry.net, those formulas/discussions/work moved with it. Unfortunately, after the Big Bang update the Southperry admins deleted the old formula threads to not confuse them with the new formulas for BB. And now all that work has been lost to time. I have spent some effort trying to find these again but to an unsatisfactory level. Way-back-machine didn't save those threads. Ayumi wordpress copied some of the formulas to his blog but none of the discussion/explanations and missed a lot of interesting stuff.

Basically every formula you have ever seen for pre-BB maplestory came from those old threads and it is a shame to have it all gone. I was just a young teenager at the time and I wasn't one of the people doing the heavy lifting but I was always very interested in keeping up with the discussions. One of the formulas that seems to have been fully lost from time is the Player damage received formula, which is super important but you'll find it nowhere online. I am now getting off-topic, but basically, if you want to know the formula, you will have to start taking some data...

3. Joolahn

Joolahn Dark Stone Golem

Aug 1, 2017
    Male
    3:38 AM
    Joolahn
    Night Lord
    California
  4. OP
    OP
    Errikos

Errikos Red Snail

Aug 17, 2015
    That's a different page than what I've been able to find on my own and had helpful information for another similar question I had a while back, but the formula for Power Knock Back doesn't match what I've experienced.

Using the formula and the characters' stats, I got a damage range of 3.87 to 35.64 for the all DEX character and 8.45 to 19.8 for the high STR character. Now given that Power Knock Back is a skill that doubles the damage of the bow swings, we could assume that formula is made using max PKB numbers, and since these characters don't have that skill we need to divide everything by 2. So it becomes 1.935 to 17.82 and 4.225 to 9.9.

Now if I understand damage calculation right, there will be no reduction in applied damage from the damage roll because the blue snails have 0 defense, and whatever number is rolled will simply be truncated and have everything after the decimal removed. Assuming that is correct, the only number that matched any of the numbers I observed is the 1.935, the minimum damage of the all DEX build assuming we have to divide by 2 because the formula given assumes max PKB.

I suppose it could be possible that I simply didn't roll low enough to get a damage of 4 from the high STR character to match that 4.225 calculated minimum damage. I find this really unlikely because I got more than just a couple 1 damage rolls as the all DEX character despite the relatively tiny margin to get that number in comparison to the missing 4 damage rolls, but I could give it some more testing a bit later.

5. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    4:38 AM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Choose a random number from 1 to Negligible, weighted toward Worthless.

6. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    I'd suspect bow melee would be something like this (without the LUK) where both STR and DEX had equal weighting on the max damage. When calculating min damage, DEX has a lower weighting.

Copied from Ayumilove:
    Claw (punching):
    MAX = (LUK * 1.0 + STR + DEX) * Weapon Attack / 150
    MIN = (LUK * 0.1 + STR + DEX) * Weapon Attack / 150

You should also probably provide screenshots of your stats and the weapon you're using :)