1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

How long are you allowed to hold an HT channel?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jesscapades, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Pundit

Pundit Pink Teddy

Jun 5, 2018
    Male
    4:18 PM
    liljer
    Bowman
    Homies
    I think the KPQ and LPQ comparisons are fair in theory but miss a couple of things, and I think that those differences get us to the heart of the issue:

1) getting into the cave is itself a commitment. after not getting a run in yesterday, you've got to pick between leaving and wasting a elixir and thereby like an hour of your time, or parking in the cave until your next run. so it's not like there's no consequences for your run getting scrapped.
    2) these are long runs and if they're all starting at reset, everyone's going in at once. So it's likely that you're sitting around for 90 minutes before any channels open... if you get rushed on your LPQ channel, there's going to be another one opening pretty darn soon because every run is like 20 minutes.
    3) You can organize an LPQ by rolling into the tower and throwing up a quick "R" and getting a party together pretty much immediately. Planning HT takes a lot of time and finagling unless you're 1337 enough to have a recurring six-man or whatever it is those folks do.
    4) You can only run twice per reset, so if I want to run at 10:00 p.m. ST, I have to hope that my whole 10-man hasn't gone in the last 22 hours, which is unlikely.

so yes, horntail is special in certain ways.

Re: the comparisons to leech... i don't participate in leech. i grind my characters. and it's a pain in the butt when someone's sitting there holding a map and you're trying to train on Windraiders or something like that.

Put these two things together (LPQ comparisons and leech comparisons) and you get this:

The thing that matters to me is "does the system as it stands allow a lot of people to play the game and have fun?" In KPQ and LPQ, the system has certain allowances (easy access, short runs, easy to organize, you can run whenever you want) that allow people to get in and out. It doesn't necessarily let you run 10 consecutive runs if it's a popular time, but folks will get in. (And "popular times" don't come up so often because reset doesn't matter for LPQ). In Leech, the Mapowner system does inhibit a maximum number of people from using the map -- because you can sit and hold it for however long you like and nobody can do anything about it. So that system also inhibits the maximum number of people participating because folks can abuse one of the game's systems.

So what I think that we need is a way to move HT out of the Leech category and toward the LPQ/KPQ territory. We need in-game systems that make the runs easier to access mechanically. I don't mean "make HT easier" or something like this; I mean fewer obstacles to the run itself.

By nature of HT, we can't make it shorter or make the groups less complicated. That's fine. Maybe there's a way to finagle the 2x/reset rule (I'm not thinking unlimited runs, but finding some way to prevent the massive bottleneck that happens at that particular time) and maybe there's a way to make the quest less cumbersome. These systems would allow more people to get in at various times and maybe resolve the issue a bit.

Because of the user spike, more people are going to start HTing soon and this is only going to get worse. I'm HTing these days because it's a fun thing to do in my house, but I'm not going to keep doing it if it's stressful each time.

• Great Work Great Work x 2
  2. JDPJHC

JDPJHC Mixed Golem

Aug 6, 2017
    JDPJHC
    Hero
    Summer
    Can any GMs tell us how long we're actually allowed to hold HT maps for and under what conditions? Seems like you guys have just left us to fight it out ourselves without providing any answers with actual substance.How long are we allowed to hold HT maps? Is it still griefing if I want to run 5 hours later?

inb4 Going to close this thread for time being since its only getting bumped with no contributions anymore. If we have something to say than we'll do that.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. OP
    OP
    jesscapades

jesscapades Pac Pinky

Jun 24, 2019
    Female
    jesscapades
    Shadower
    Homies
    I originally created this post to discuss channel holding and not channel sniping, but I'm glad we're all talking about that too :p my impression is that lots of threads lately have diverged from their original topics and end up discussing this exact same issue, so I think it's also a pressing issue that we should tackle.

For the original topic, I think it's fair to say the hotter topic of channel sniping has distracted people, but also that there's not much more we can discuss as a community, so like Joon said, needs more of a staff member's comment.

Anyways, since I'm a nerd here's a summary of the sniping-related arguments so far in this thread

For sniping:
    • Moral reason: host has a duty to get a run going on time to avoid letting down their runners
    • Sniping a channel is an inherent part of running HT
    • No ownership possible, so free channels are fair game
    • Large incentive to snipe, as the alternative is likely 0 runs and a wasted elixir
    • Similar concept as PQ sniping, map sniping, and FM sniping, all of which are generally accepted

Against sniping:
    • Moral reason: not ruining another group's run
    • Sniping causes unwanted conflict between the sniper and snipee
    • A group leaving their first run and about to start their second run has a sort-of unwritten ownership of the channel
    • Negative consequences for the sniping group's reputations
    • Not similar to PQ sniping, as there are greater set-up costs for running HT

Misc.:
    • What exactly does "sniping" mean
    • Sniping is facilitated by the blue text announcing when someone has finished HT
    • Different views of the old maplestory experience: ksing/sniping culture vs. close-knit bossing community that abhors sniping culture
    • Something about kickball F3

Suggestions:
    • Create sign-ups outside of the game
      • Was done in old maplestory to mitigate having only one HT channel
      • Might be difficult to monitor and enforce
    • Implement game mechanics such as a shorter timer once HT dies, a short timer on summoning, cooldowns on sign-ups
    • Laissez-faire: inconvenience from scarce channels and channel sniping will lead to runners choosing to start at different times, so the issue of channel scarcity will go away on its own
      • (My thoughts) Not necessarily true, as the cost of starting at a different time might outweigh the inconvenience from channel sniping. Plus, intervention might be preferable to avoid players feeling bummed and a toxic game culture
    • Reduce costs associated with entering cave (i.e. make elixir quest less cumbersome)
    • Find a way to change the system of 2x/day or boss reset time

• Great Work Great Work x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. magykarp

magykarp Horny Mushroom

Jul 6, 2018
    Male
    1:18 PM
    magykarp
    You just created a logical fallacy based off an anecdotal experience because you don't have a sound argument or compelling evidence to support your stance.

You also mention to walk in the shoes of the people being "sniped" in the most conceited and obnoxious way possible. However, you fail to look at it in the other side's perspective when asking the opposing side to do the same. Both sides took the effort to organize and be punctual. There's no reason why one squad should be able to run two times while the other run none. Your entitled views make it sound like the game and the community owes you the privilege to run whenever you want.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. Tate

Tate Capt. Latanica

Apr 16, 2020
    New Zealand
    8:18 AM
    Potayto
    Shadower
    Beaters
    No offense but i'm 1000000000% certain that everyone playing this nostalgic mushroom game from 2003 is old enough to rationalize and add more to the meta conversation than they were able to back when they were younger (myself included).

Since we're listing down all the branches of thought, might as well list down a few more:

-We have economic analyses based on gacha rng, and item market values/trends
    -Social science demology based on leech/solo grinding/bossing/personality of players you find on ML
    -by extension -Characterology based on how big of a chad/sweatlord/roleplayer/mule/islander/whatever a mapler is
    -Gender studies based on how to tell a girl from a G.I.R.L (guy in real life)
    -Bibliology based on questing and the maplestory lore
    -Hoplology based on the effectiveness of weapons, weapon types and + SI
    -Melology based on the songs found in Maplestory and how great the soundtrack is (Orbis Station BGM for life)

What else but to say.. thank you for coming to my TEDTalk

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
  6. Pundit

Pundit Pink Teddy

Jun 5, 2018
    Male
    liljer
    Bowman
    Homies
    Stay tuned for the CFP for my forthcoming first annual Maple Studies conference... "Dangerous Taxi: Political-Economic Convergences of Nostalgias in the Mapleverse"

7. xNivx

xNivx Headless Horseman

Apr 18, 2016
    Male
    Shin Sekai
    2:18 PM
    xNivx
    Dark Knight
    Horny
    Why do we wanna give other classes more balls just because we lack some

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    The real question is this:
    If people can sell mapownership, why can't people sell HT channels?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. Tate

Tate Capt. Latanica

Apr 16, 2020
    New Zealand
    Potayto
    Shadower
    Beaters
    because with the current system, you can't actually own a channel.

There's been some debate about adding a dummy mob for people to be able to @mapowner the HT map - ergo own the HT channel, but then this would just open the floodgates to people camping and outright holding the map/channel for hours/days/weeks/months on end.

The better question to answer is, how do we ensure equal and fair treatment to all who wishes to Horntail?. Considering timezones are a real thing and the earth is not flat, is a queing system justifiable and also implementable? if not, then how?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Zooploop

Zooploop Master Chronos

Aug 15, 2018
    Male
    Crusader
    This is probably a bad time to ask but is there gonna be a 12 hour timer HT bug in the near future, and would I get in trouble staying the full 12 hours

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    5:18 AM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    It seems this topic has detracted a lot from the original question of what constitutes "griefing" in a horntail run. Kimmy came and clarified somethings, but I think there's still a bit of confusion as to the staff side of things (like what we would classify as griefing). The relevant excerpt from the griefing clause would be the following: "in-game conduct that is intended to disrupt, obstruct, or sabotage another player's gameplay"

What we care about is if the intended & actual actions of a player disrupts, obstructs, or sabotages someone else's. So if you're not running on a channel, but AFK inside of it, you are clearly obstructing someone's gameplay intentionally. Of course, circumstances differ when you're actually playing the game. That isn't intending to obstruct, that's intending to play :p

The moral that this particular teacher/staff would like to teach everyone here is don't sit on the ball if you're not playing with it :p as for a clear code of conduct, there is one already I'd say... while it wasn't applied to HT like this before, the greifing clause can easily be applied without any alterations

Well I was going to jump in and say it's your unsolicited maple lawyer here, but I guess I was sort of invited ;)

Don't forget theology... how else are we going to learn from the wise teachings and moral lessons bestowed upon us by the one true Kimmy?

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Pundit

Pundit Pink Teddy

Jun 5, 2018
    Male
    liljer
    Bowman
    Homies
    I’m not a lawyer so I’m probably going to step in it for getting into the language here.

The griefing definition NiseNise gave implies that certain actions in regular gameplay can disrupt other players’ experience, but if done with the intent of playing the game, that’s not griefing. So if all of the Windraider maps are taken and I want to grind at Windraiders, I’m out of luck. I’ve been negatively affected by regular gameplay; nobody did it to hurt me specifically. OK - I’m willing to accept this.

I think that the extension of the conversation is relevant, though, because it’s where we’re tracking the kind of negative effect on other players that comes from malicious intent, rather than an attempt to play the game. The issue is that HT invites a lot of grey areas.

If I intend to run one hour after reset, and I hold a channel starting from half an hour before reset, hitting the timer every five minutes, am I disrupting other people’s gameplay for the sake of it, or because I intend to play? I could argue that I plan to play eventually, but I’m also obstructing gameplay for an unreasonable amount of time. In my experience, people in this server take everything to the absolute limit the game will allow — and so this is not an unrealistic hypothetical I don’t think.

I think what we’re looking for is one of two things:

1) How staff chooses to assess what sort of intent they’re looking at.
    1a) How players are expected to predict staff’s assessments of intent so that they don’t get caught with their pants down thinking they were in-bounds when they were not. As in, with hard-and-fast rules.
    2) How HT can be changed, if at all, to prevent these two categories of intent — A) people can be prevented from playing through the normal course of gameplay and B) people can be prevented from playing through griefing — from overlapping in a high-stakes situation like Horntail.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Heartphilia

Heartphilia Red Snail

Apr 19, 2019
    4:18 AM
    You snooze you lose

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    4:18 AM
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    Geez I'm thankful that the Malaysia/Singapore nighttime HT runs aren't affected by this fuckery :eek:

Anyway, it seems like we are banking on many unofficial rules and grey areas concerning the official rules to determine legitimacy of "channel ownerships" for HT and meting out punishment. But this becomes a slippery slope so fast in so many directions...personally can't see it working out without all out guild smega wars (that's nostalgic tho :laugh:). Because everyone's interpretation of the rules could vary easily. If you wanna make matters worse, between two groups with language barriers, you can't even negotiate and talk about the rules properly. It's just going to be frustrating if there's no cut and dry rule.

IMO the best but most inelegant way to solve this is have extra channels that you can only cc to in HT cave. Dumb I know, just brainstorming though.

I'm gonna need the link to this ty (for a friend)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Tate

Tate Capt. Latanica

Apr 16, 2020
    New Zealand
    Potayto
    Shadower
    Beaters
    if you think that's bad... imagine being in the australasian pacific. its a nightmare finding enough people to cobble a run with. I either need to be up at night or no runs at all :(

You're going to have to make an account to access this information here

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    2:18 PM
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    You got it backwards, the asians are missing out on the pog content! HT is so much more fun on weekends when there are 5 squads eyeing all the channels. You can CC through the channels on a cave mule during your HT run and watch people screeching and threatening to report each other, its free high quality entertainment!

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. MissBehaving

MissBehaving Mixed Golem

Apr 7, 2017
    Female
    PissBehaving
    I/L Arch Mage

I’m definitely a G.I.R.L.

18. s0mething

s0mething Capt. Latanica

May 4, 2019
    Btw, HT channels were essentially empty today. [​IMG]

19. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    5:18 AM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    1) Intent is based on context, so we can't say for 100% certainty what we specifically look for, since everything is case-by-case :p but what I can tell you is we do employee the reasonability test (which is used a lot in law too).

The question is how would ANY reasonable person (so no specific individual, but rather just a random person we pick off the street, with no mental obscurities (?) maybe impairments (?) is the better term here... like not under the influence or believes that the sun is actually a giant Kimmy in disguise) see the facts presented before us.

(EG) You're distracted and leave the doors to the fridge open for a few minutes, a reasonable person would say yea that makes sense. Meanwhile, if you leave the door to the fridge open for like 2 hours... well... a reasonable person would say that was either extremely negligent or intentional.

Whenever we do act on things, we also try to gather the full scope of what was happening. Even though you don't see us, we observe ;) and if we think it's becoming a bit excessive, we ask them politely (but directly). Now with that said, let me present a more direct example.

(EG) Imagine you're going to be running "later". You start holding a map. Staff sees you've been there for like a decent amount of time. Staff notes that there is only 1 person in the HT map as well. We appear and ask you, "what's going on" and you say you're "getting ready for a run soon". We then proceed to ask, okay so where are your runners? Some of them aren't online, some of them are in Aqua Road, some of them are in Shaolin. I think a reasonable person would conclude that rather than the primary intention being "to run soon" it seems more like you're preventing others from playing so that you can "run eventually".

Of course, this is an extreme & obvious example. Things aren't binary and you have shades of grey ( perhaps more than 50 shades ;) ), but I just wanted to portray how we come to our decisions and that it isn't arbitrary or unpredictable. For those grey areas, that's why we have multiple people on the team + an appeal process if you think otherwise ^^

• Like Like x 2
  20. MrPresident

MrPresident Capt. Latanica

Dec 19, 2017
    MrPresident
    Spearman
    Isn’t all of this true for people holding leech or area boss maps as well? I’ve seen people hold leech maps (and area boss maps) while HTing on another client for example which is still preventing players from using the map so the HTer could use it eventually. Are the rules going to extend to people holding those maps for extended periods or is this a boss specific rule?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1