1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Clarifying streamer giveaway/RWT guidelines

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blu301, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Blu301

Blu301 Pac Pinky

May 20, 2019
    Male
    East Coast, USA
    7:36 AM
    Blu301
    Shadower
    Summer
    I think there are gray areas on what streamers can and cannot do regarding giveaways, raffles, and the like. This is not about hunting for Real-World-Trading (RWT) loopholes or trying to monetarily benefit from streaming, it's about not getting banned over blurred lines.

Streamers do giveaways of all kinds, whether it's an extended contest for followers or a spur of the moment move. Considering there's no strike system and you can potentially just get permabanned without warning for crossing the line, clarity would be nice.

For example, it was recently said that Twitch streamers can't allow their viewers to use their "channel points" (points garnered by simply being on the channel while it's live, regardless of follow/sub status or if the stream is muted/minimized) to offer potential in-game rewards (ex. spend 500 channel points to get entered into a raffle for an item or boss helmet or etc).

This surprised me for a couple reasons. Channel points can be garnered passively and must equate to extremely insignificant monetary value, and there's also no real incentive specifically for streamers to get their viewers to spend their channel points. Anyone using the channel points system to offer potential in-game rewards is clearly doing it because it's something fun and engaging for their small community.

I don't think the lines are clear, like we don't know when we step out of bounds. I know people in the past have offered a variety of in-game rewards for channel points because on the surface one might not give a second thought that it would be classified as RWT.

Another aspect that confused me was that a staff member said we can't do giveaways unless they're global and full-setup. It's very unclear what that actually means, because that sounds like a streamer is not allowed to give anything away if the winners can only potentially be people watching the stream, and I think that doesn't make sense. A streamer could just go into a private guild discord (or their own streamer discord if they do that) and tell people they're doing a giveaway, why is it so different that they choose to do the giveaway for people watching live at that moment?

The last confusing aspect on my mind is that we are supposedly not allowed to use ML channels (I assume both in-game and on the server discord) to self-promote and gain followers. So does it all come down to the phrasing, because it seems like people can smega/blackboard their channel or post a link on disc every once in a while and it's cool? This isn't a more pressing question but I'm curious where the line is.

Some things are clearer than others. Semi-recently someone was permabanned for offering mesos for followers/subs (ex. promoting that they were giving 500k for follows or something similar). This is more understandable because followers/subs can be a bit more clearly associated with a monetary value (for lack of better phrasing), which is some kind of small-scale RWT. I think most streamers can recognize that one as crossing the line.

LF> one of those "this is allowed / this is not allowed" Nise specialty posts

• Like x 16
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Great Work x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  2. Pixel

Pixel Mixed Golem

Jun 17, 2018
    6:36 AM
    DragonMaid
    Outlaw
    I think there's many things to take into account

The most common problem is donation goals on streamers which is the most wild form of RWT in the game
    Many streamers often make the mistake of doing this and i've seen which i had to advise against.

''If we get $200 dollar donation goal i'll host a zakum run for viewers''
    It's clearly giving in game advantage through direct money

Raffles are the same, raffles for amount of subs or amount of watchers of anything with all ads, just makes streamers pursue earning a bigger following by using in game advantages.
    Getting more viewers or subs = more ads or subscriptions = more money
    How to get more of that , giving items away.

Even channel points can be linked by donation
    Gifted subs and donations can directly increase channel points and nothing stops streamers or watchers from taking advantage
    Even if it was a crazy amount, people who put direct money on it would have an advantage over others, while making the in game advantage of items or carries into a transaction which is what they try to avoid

While this hurts people who just want to help people who just watch or enjoy their content the truth is, there's too much power and possiblity on this.
    So the best agreement is to just simply don't use any ingame advantage to ''sell yourself'' on Twitch.
    Because even if YOU aren't earning money through watchers, others definitely can.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. BentPaw

BentPaw Master Chronos

Sep 11, 2020
    Male
    4:36 AM
    angeloooo
    Night Lord
    Funk
    I find that using Channel Points to give away an in game item, or provide some additional in game service to people (such as hosting a significant boss run) is sus and shouldn't be allowed or should have specific guidelines for it. Channel Points shouldn't be used in exchange for any real or virtual currency (should be part of the Twitch TOS) and if it's used to give an ign item away, then that can in turn be used for mesos gains.

Channel Points should be used as an additional way for viewers to interact with the streamer, and not for an avenue where viewers can gain something in ML by being long time viewers of a specific channel. Maybe if the raffle/giveaway was extremely trivial to obtain, like 100 points, 1 time entry, a weeks notice so anyone can get points for it. But that opens the door for more ambiguity and too much gray area.

For advertising streams thru smegas/discord, maybe there should be a "No self advertising" rule, similar to what reddit has. Although I guess that would be hard to determine who's self advertise on smegas, cause it could be smega mules. Not sure how critical this topic is though.

I do agree that since the Christmas event, there's been more and more steamers on Legends (sometimes up to 15 at the same time) and it's getting to the point where detailed rules and explanations should be out into effect for what you can/cannot do on stream.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Voxtagrams

Voxtagrams Headless Horseman

Jun 13, 2020
    I think with channel points it shouldn't matter because its basically a way to get people to engage in something, when one uses channel points the streamer doesn't get money for redeeming the points its just a way to have a community get engaged with others watching the streamer, so if a MapleLegends streamer is getting banned because of channel points getting redeemed for something thats in-game is really silly because when channel points are redeemed the streamer doesn't get anything out of it because like you said

this shouldn't be considered RWT/RMT because nothing is really getting traded for it, unless the streamer is partnered or an affiliate they won't get paid from ads so gaining viewers wouldn't get them paid passively so in turn trading channel points for a Zhelm, HTP or the like is the same as just doing it for free in-game, channel points isn't a currency that gives the streamer cash money in their pockets its a system that makes it fair to raffle they aren't paying money for channel points they aren't breaking any rules, rather I don't see a rule being broken the streamer is pretty much playing a game that NexonTakedown would go over and get their streams banned.

Channel points is just a fair way to get someone something that the streamer can give back to their community for free, if someone is getting banned from a game giving away in-game goodies for a free system that the streamer gets nothing from then how is that deemed "RWT/RMT"?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Precel

Precel Zakum Retired Staff

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit
    I think the current ToS is pretty explicit. Whether channel points is free or not, it's still a third party currency which is clearly against the terms. Pixel also mentioned that sub does increase the rate of channel points gain.

I think it would be better to modify Soliciting part of ToS to explicitly allow advertising streams every 24 hours or whatever, if ML wants to allow advertising streams in game/discord.

I can't speak for staffs about "global and full-setup" but I imagine it's similar to "no purchase necessary" for irl raffles that corporates do. If above suggestion gets approved, you should be able to advertise your stream along with the giveaway, but it'd just have to be "oh also i stream if you want to check it out." Maybe they'll even allow saying that the giveaway results will be on stream.

Guild giveaways are a bit different because they're in-game group unlike a third party stream, and the guilds usually have nothing to gain since it's mostly among guild/alliance members, and doesn't use a third party currency.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Precel

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit
    Twitch allows gift sub as a channel points reward. Not sure if they allow game items and/or cash rewards.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Precel

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit
    Channel points only unlock if you're affiliated, which means streamers do get money from ads (which cannot be disabled) or subs. Plus viewership in itself is what streamers need/want.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    Blu301

Blu301 Pac Pinky

May 20, 2019
    Male
    East Coast, USA
    Blu301
    Shadower
    Summer
    PixelPixel I feel like a lot of these points are adjacent, maybe I was too scatterbrained

I think that most streamers have the sense not to correlate their donation goals with an in-game reward for others. It seems like more obviously crossing the line, similar to the example at the end of the original post. There's a very clear connection between getting real money and giving an in-game reward. The raffle situation you're talking about, "raffles [assuming it's an in-game item/reward] for amount of subs" is also more easily recognized as a clear-cut bad move imo. I was trying to point to grayer situations.

I don't think donations/gifted subs keep triggering channel point gains. Based on Twitch's info post for gaining channel points, it looks like they can only be gained from the first cheer / sub gift. And it doesn't seem like I'm able to change how a viewer gains channel points either. But assuming it's defaulted to only gain channel points on the first cheer / sub gift it's not a sustainable way to gain an in-game advantage via someone's channel point rewards.

BentPawBentPaw you make very good points. I understand there needs to be guidelines, but it just sucks for streamers who've been doing things like this since it's just a fun and engaging way for them to interact with the viewers. I always looked at it like these kinds of raffles were streamers giving back to the community in a sense, but I suppose doing it through Twitch just makes it a different conversation.

VoxtagramsVoxtagrams I believe no ML streamers are Partners since that ToS actually states that you can't stream private servers from what I can remember. And because of the way ML streamers can get viewers from the ML home website, I believe most of them could somewhat quickly become an affiliate if they wanted to put in the time (this might not be correct, I don't remember all the thresholds).

PrecelPrecel I truly feel like everything you've ever said has always been right since the beginning of time. I trust you with my life

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. BentPaw

BentPaw Master Chronos

Sep 11, 2020
    Male
    angeloooo
    Night Lord
    Funk
    Do they really? That seems strange to me.

Here's what Twitch says on their Channel Points Acceptable Use Policy

Do not sell, offer to sell, trade, barter, or transfer Points to other users of Twitch in exchange for Bits or in exchange for real or virtual currencies inside or outside the Twitch Services. Any attempted prohibited sale or transfer will be null and void.

https://www.twitch.tv/p/en/legal/channel-points-acceptable-use-policy/

Not sure about gifted subs, but that's probably where the restriction for in game currency is established

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Voxtagrams

Voxtagrams Headless Horseman

Jun 13, 2020
    He means the viewer can cash in channel points in trade for the streamer to gift them a sub.

(A few league of legends streamers do this)

11. Cowbelle

Cowbelle Mushmom

Jul 11, 2020
    Female
    Cowbelle
    Beginner
    Homies
    I actually love seeing people smega promoting friend's streams; one of the most charming parts about ML is the community's willingness to celebrate each other's hobbies and achievements. I don't think streamer [self or otherwise] promotion is something that needs to be tracked with a timer since it can be managed through the spamming clause in the ToS. Like BentPaw pointed out, keeping track of alts and such would be more headache than it is probably worth. However, completely banning self promotion would be a disappointment to me, as sometimes people start streaming & self promote in hopes of making some new friends.
    obviously coming from an extremely biased perspective, so take what I say with a grain of salt

I do agree having some more explicit guidelines around channel point usage would be great. There are a lot of innovative channel point reward ideas floating around, and I believe many of them are not in conflict with the RWT rules. Would love to see some rewards be officially sanctioned.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    What is the most value a streamer can get from this anyways? Is this really a way to efficiently sell mesos? There's already an exception on this server for selling art. I feel like streaming should also get an exception. You can ban certain things like giving in game rewards for monetary donations, but channel points seem like negligible value. I am okay with viewers getting free boss loot for viewing.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Pixel

Pixel Mixed Golem

Jun 17, 2018
    DragonMaid
    Outlaw
    Popularity = watchers = Subs and donations = money
    In exchange of advertised potential goods

Offering in game advantages even if small, will boost your audience, which on Twitch is definitely profitable , on a platform such a Twitch
    The thing is not if it efficient or not, the thing is that it exists

Art is different cuz on art is more like a regulated through forum trade between art for meso, while as an artist myself still dont understand the reasoning behind this
    I still don't get real money for art made through this server
    However streamers eventually get money through watchers via Twitch

And that's where the problem lies

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    Yes, I understand that. But how much money? Is there an easy way to abuse it? Are there better ways of regulating it than just a blanket no?

I think it's good that we have streamers with boosted viewers and a decent audience community. I mean, why even advertise streamers every time I vote.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Pixel

Pixel Mixed Golem

Jun 17, 2018
    DragonMaid
    Outlaw
    It's not a set amount of money
    It could be little or a lot
    Streaming and earning watchers through your own personality and content is fine, you earned those donations and those subscriptions yourself

But if people only subscribe and only donate, or hell only if they're gonna start watching because you're hosting a meso giveaway or a free run for watchers

You're basically earning potential income for giving in game goods.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  16. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Banning a streamer for 'RWT' under a gray area policy is pretty lol-worthy to me, especially if they were just trying to help promote the Legends community and there was no malicious intent found. It's not like these instances are happening in abundance where a black and white policy needs to be strictly enforced. If anything, it should be taken case-by-case. (Of course, until it becomes unmanageable, but we have only like 20 active streamers).

On the other hand, if you're a streamer, it's probably a good idea to keep in close communication with staff to green light any of your ideas that may be questionable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    Again, I understand that can happen. I'm asking for a discussion on how to limit or regulate it. For example, you could make it so that raffles or bossing incentives are never tied to donations (i.e accessible to only followers not just subs). You can also force streamers to show all donations on stream and record all the VODs. Players are already incentivized to report others for 10k nx if they see anything fishy.

So what are some edge cases? Suppose a streamer sets up a private stream with 1 viewer, and gives away 1b and lists his cashapp. Okay, but this already happens, just behind closed doors. Why go through this extra public step just to RWT. And just because there exists malicious ways to take advantage of streaming, it doesn't mean we should blanket ban all sort of streamer-viewer interaction.

• Like Like x 1
  18. OP
    OP
    Blu301

Blu301 Pac Pinky

May 20, 2019
    Male
    East Coast, USA
    Blu301
    Shadower
    Summer
    If people are looking to RWT they're not gonna go thru an extra medium and do it as a live giveaway in front of strangers. Also, a streamer could just do a giveaway off stream and there's no potential ill consequences. They do it on stream because it's something engaging and interactive and fun for everyone.

Also, I just want to note that it is easy to note the rough average and maximum number of viewers watching various Maple Legends streams, it's not like people are making bank off of ads (unless a streamer plays them constantly, which I've never seen anyone do, I believe a lot just do the pre-roll ads). It is not lost on me that money is money, and making bank is subjective, but Pixel keeps on overstating this point so I just want to keep that straight.

One of the channel point rewards that link to in-game rewards that I've seen was pitched like this: "300 channel points to enter in a raffle to get a free boss helmet."

And I don't see what's wrong with that because something like that clearly has no questionable intentions, and it's also essentially open to everyone if the raffle signup is open for a decent amount of time (300 channel points is not difficult to obtain). Also, the gift they're giving isn't something worth like hundreds of millions of mesos, it's just a boss helmet. I thought that person's channel point reward was an awesome idea, and wanted to do something similar myself, which is the main reason why I decided to ask for clarification on streamer guidelines in the first place. Maybe there should be a channel point buy-in maximum and a in-game reward value maximum so that people don't go overboard, but I think this kind of raffle in itself should be allowed.

I personally don't think that person crossed the line. Now, I think it would be crossing the line if that person smega'd "want to win a free boss helm? buy a raffle ticket with channel points on my stream" or self-advertised in-game or on discord in that manner. And it would also likely cross the line if a streamer offered an in-game item directly for channel points (guaranteeing a viewer can obtain it, like 5000 channel points for this 4 int earring). Again the ambiguity surrounding all of these grayer situations is why I made this post

• Like Like x 1
  19. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    5:36 AM
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    Streamer giveaways should be lopped together with art commissions. In both cases as long as the magnitude of the wealth transferred is relatively small, the overall effect on the community is positive.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  20. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    8:36 PM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Distinctions between streamer give aways & art commissions are as follows:

Art Commission
    • Providing a real world service (art) in exchange for mesos
    • Strictly restricted to forums
    • Ease to moderate
      • We can see if the provided art is = mesos given (aka its not just stick figures)
      • We can see if art was provided at all
    Streamer Giveaways
    • Providing in game services/item (boss services) in exchange for non-maplelegends currency (channel points?)
      • Not a blatant issue per se, since we allow the reverse in the case of art, but just a difference to take note of
    • Hosted on twitch (or YouTube if you swing that way)
      • Problem: ML staff doesn't have moderating abilities on twitch, so we don't have the same privileges of vetting through evidence (unlike forums, which is part of "our services")
    • Difficulty to moderate
      • Need for staff to link a twitch handle to an in-game handle without any identifiable information
      • Need for staff to watch the full stream (clips are a possible way, but to be absolutely sure of the evidence, VODs would probably be required)
      • Getting access to VODs after "expiry period" (lots of VODs expire after two weeks or so, and since twitch isn't our's we can't really dig it up either, unless the streamer had a VOD saved separately)
    Issues with Twitch/Law
    So the above has to do with how things affect MapleLegends, but there are some concerns by Twitch itself: https://www.twitch.tv/p/en/legal/channel-points-acceptable-use-policy/

1. "Do not sell, offer to sell, trade, barter, or transfer Points to other users of Twitch in exchange for Bits or in exchange for real or virtual currencies inside or outside the Twitch Services. Any attempted prohibited sale or transfer will be null and void."
    • Was brought up above, so I won't go into this. But it is possible for twitch to interpret this wider as "in exchange for virtual currencies and/or services that equate virtual currencies". Boss runs are essential in-game services worth virtual currency (mesos), so Twitch may interpret that as a quid pro quo (aka a trade).
    2. "Do not create Points redemption opportunities that constitute gambling."
    • No official stance from Twitch on whether "wheel of fortune" = gambling, but there does seem to be a lot of concern that twitch MAY see it as a form of gambling
    • "Donor only" or "subscriber only" are apparently a direct violation of FTC guidelines for giveaways in the US, which require "people to be offered a non-paid way to enter a giveaway, and cannot give people who pay a better chance of winning."
    • Using channel points (for all viewers) could be a violation of FTC guidelines if you're given multiple chances to enter a giveaway based on channel points (as someone mentioned subscribers, first time bit donators can be given more channel points

NOTE: THIS IS NOT AN OPINION OR A STANCE BY STAFF or A STAFF MEMBER. I'm literally just putting out the relevant considerations here for everyone to... well... consider xD

• Informative Informative x 11
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1