1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

NON-MEME potential shadower buffs

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by damon182, Jun 19, 2021.

1. damon182

damon182 Brown Teddy

Apr 13, 2021
    Male
    12:04 AM
    SendMeDOGE
    Shadower
    So maybe a week and a half ago I posted a thread named 'potential shadower buffs' for the main reason of satirical comedy illustrating how many people feel about the current state of shadowers.

Now the orginal 'toxic' post that I was meme-ing on is still getting replies somehow even though it is just blatantly dumb. So I felt I needed to make a follow up, but a real follow up, not just a meme; because apparently you people cant understand when to let a dumb post die.

My goals with the post:

-suggest some actually buffs shadowers can recieve without being game breaking

-suggest things so simple, you feel dumb for not suggesting it before

-make it funny?

First and foremost we have to look at the current state of shadowers. Yes some may call us Chadowers, but they are labeled as a 'support' class while quite honestly having very little support utility. Yes smoke screen is a good skill, but 1 skill alone wont make a job a 'support'.

I made this a key theme in my original meme post (to make dumb memes) but shadowers have very very good versatility, so why don't we expand on this if they are going to be a supporting class.

But first:

Reason why I think shadowers should be a support class: Honestly no hard facts, I've just read that nate code is wonky AF, so the less it changes the better, cause it's easier for the devs. (plz change nate code i want dank dmg).

I'm going to go in order of what I feel is easiest to implement to not so easy (mind you the only coding I can do is taking 10 hours to create 'hello world' so if you don't agree with my ordering maybe go outside and see the sunlight for the first time in 17 years, then come back to talk trash).

1) make Savage blow a primary 'pinning' attack

I'm not a high level shad by any means, but that means if I want to pap/rav (very early game bosses) I would usually need to find a higher level that's willing to pin. And TBH even with event points happening, that just doesn't fucking happen. I propose that shadowers get an improvement in versatility by alloweing SB to pin better. How you make ask? Well guess what I got your answer: SB is 6 attacks at 80% dmg = 480% damage per cast. Make each attack of SB give 480% knock back(ex: 6 attacks at 480% pin, damage will not change).THIS WILL NOT IMPROVE DPM AT ALL. all this will do is allow lower level parties to actually pap/rav. IF YOU CAN ALREADY KNOCK BACK WITH BOOMER STEP THIS CLEARLY ISN'T AIMED AT YOU. Max BS will already out dmg, thus knock back mobs more often at max level, this suggestion is not aimed at improving life for maxed players. This will just give 12x shadowers a little more reason to be brought on early level boss runs.

2) Make pickpocket mesos be able to be picked up by other people. I said this list was in somewhat of an order of easiest to implement too hardest. Well, you guys just unimplemented this, just revert it at the very least for pickpocket.

Now is where I turn from things I have some experience of to stuff I’ve only been informed by the cesspool that is the forums.

3) Taunt

This may be hard to implement but I doubt it cause you already have skills that affect bosses/mobs diffently. My suggestion is when you use taunt on a boss it forces it to agro you. This would in theory reduces shadower sed mules, because it makes a normal shadower being a sed mule better. If a shad/sec mule happened to die at HT whether it be mis-managing multi client with a true sed mule or an actual ashower, this will allow them to regain that agro from HT arm. And since HT is pretty much the only place a shadower will ever see 4 mob cleave i feel like them slightly excelling past 'mule status' is ok
    **I don’t think this should come with a 40% armor increase of the boss, 5/10% maybe, but honestly I think 0% armor increase would be fine. It could be that taunt 30 on a boss only redirects agro for 120 seconds or something like that. In that case I feel that the dpm lost from needing to taunt will counterbalance not having armor increase (or minimal armor increase)

**also if you are speed running HT and use that as an argument as to why this is unbalanced, again, go outside and see sunlight for the first time in 17 years.

4) Smoke screen buff

This one is sorta straight forward, just make smoke screen give everyone in your party say a 2.5-5% increased crit chance. Honestly maybe lower depending on how BM/NL are affected from this (I’ve never played those jobs, so idk). Maybe to balance it, its only the shadower that gets the bonus, maybe the whole party? I’m slightly leaning towards just the shadower getting the crit bonus sorta just for lore and class identity sake. So the shadower has to chose between increasing his/her own dpm instead of the entire parties. This would also make shadowers give more thought into where to actually place smoke. Instead of just blasting it down unless someone needed res.

5) Ninja Ambush rework

This one may feel too ‘private server-ey’ for ML and if that’s the case, I do understand. The skill is honestly just to trash to not try to think of a rework for it though. Basically my suggestion is allow ninja ambush to work on bosses (albeit it will have a cooldown, maybe about 5m cd on bosses), and it has a chance with each attack to apply venom or disorder onto the mob (for disorder it should probably apply 1/4-1/2 the players actual disorder level for balance reasons, maybe even less idk.) Granted this suggestion would also allow ‘disorder’ to be applied to bosses, but only through ninja ambush. I see this skill buff as somewhat an extension of band of thieves (maybe requiring a BoT skill lvl to put points in), where the thieves that are summoned are able to provide more than just dps.

These suggestions are only focused on shadowers, the taunt/ninja ambush suggestions where not considered with night lords in mind, only shadowers. Maybe the dev’s could somehow split the skill while keeping skill books the same (like with shadow shifter), or just use these ideas for inspiration for other changes.

In retrospect rereading what I wrote I didn't really make it that funny, but hopefully the allure of humor got you to read it, so I'm not going to go back and edit it. Also mind you, I'm not a high level shad, so if anything I assume in this thread is wrong, blame yourself for posting dumb shit on the forums about high level shadowers.

2. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    9:04 PM
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    I've sort of come around to the idea that skills on their own are relatively balanced between all classes, but it's the content where the skills find their niche that the majority of balancing problems lie now.

There are actually very few skills that have changed since the game was thought to be it's most balanced, a couple years back in 2019. It's mostly content related changes that have either made or broke classes, and the current trend towards bosses with massively increased aggression and skill casts have made the game a lot less friendly towards classes that require their niche to succeed. If your niche is doing cleave damage but the game actively wipes your party if you bring more than 1 cleaver, then the damage role will always be better off given to a single target DPS character. It's the same case if content changes to consistently reduce cleave damage by a significant margin, as the single target of "cleave" classes is pretty marginal. If surviving sed is a niche but makes the character entirely unplayable outside of that, then what you are better off bringing a mule every time, as being seduced isn't engaging content in the least and can be entirely worked around with a second client.

That's the case for rewarding content, but for classes who find their niche in non-rewarding content it's just as much of a shame to pick that class. It doesn't matter that you can deal 1.5x damage on elementally weak targets and out-dpm NLs if the content doesn't actually reward anything worth your time. The state of bossing is just incredibly poor and it's considered acceptable because it's supposed to be "fun" content, but that doesn't work when you want to make end-game comparisons between classes. On paper, they all look fine with their DPS's and unique kits but in practice there are classes that you definitely should not make if you have end-game in mind. Currently it's all 3 warriors and shadowers that find themselves to be fundamentally bad classes, but I don't believe it's any fault of their own. It's in the content that either singles them out for punishment or by being unrewarding that they are bad choices for wanting an end-game character.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. HollyCrap

HollyCrap Capt. Latanica

Jul 2, 2017
    Male
    1:04 AM
    HollyCrap
    Cleric
    What do you mean non meme?
    #MakePickpocketGreatAgain

4. jesscapades

jesscapades Pac Pinky

Jun 24, 2019
    Female
    12:04 AM
    jesscapades
    Shadower
    Homies
    Insulting the devs is not a good way to start off a request that would require a lot of dev work.

With the exception of the pickpocket one, I've never seen any of these suggestions on the forum before and or in my discussions with other shads, and I don't think any of them should be implemented. My reasoning is below.

No one 12x is brought on any boss runs unless it's for charity. I don't see the utility in this, and I don't see how this is support when pinning is always the job of the ranged attacker. And I don't think any balance changes should be made to cater to the 120-135 shadowers, because literally every class in this level range isn't bossing unless it's for fun-runs.

At first I thought you meant that SB should "pin" in the way that rush and corkscrew blow do for warriors and buccs, which actually sounds like a cool idea. If that were implemented though, it should be on a mobility skill like assaulter or 5th line of assassinate.

For taunt causing aggro, I might be misunderstanding your proposal. Currently, once you attack something, it's aggro-ed to you. If you mean to make it aggro to you and you only, I don't think that'll happen because that was the entire reason they redid the aggro system last year.

Even if smoke increased my dpm I still wouldn't choose to use it on myself instead of ranged attackers. You'd have to give my dpm an absurd increase to outweigh the total dpm increase that the entire party will get from it. And if it's that big, it would be broken.

I don't really care for ninja ambush, but it does feel weird to have a completely useless 4th job skill. Though I think any changes to it should keep it true to its form as a DoT skill and also make it usable on bosses.

Overall, I don't think any of these changes, except for the pickpocket one, are representative of what people have been asking for on the forums. It might be that I haven't been reading all the posts, though. Personally, what I've agreed on with other "high level shads" is that we want
    • SE to work on assassinate
    • pickpocket to work with assassinate
    • pickpocket mesos to be looted by party members (which you mentioned)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. thedgafclub

thedgafclub Timer

Sep 23, 2019
    Female
    9:04 PM
    thedgafclub
    Shadower
    Beaters
    +1

• Like Like x 3