1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Update [Beta Test] Challenges System - HP Wash Alternative

Discussion in 'Update Notes' started by xiaoyaoz, Feb 19, 2023.

1. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    4:16 PM
    So many I keep forgetting
    Yeah, 'Delete your char'

• Great Work x 6
    • Friendly x 2
    • Creative x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  2. Tommygunner

Tommygunner Mixed Golem

Oct 29, 2020
    10:16 AM
    I like the system, and i think these challenges are good, but I have two concerns:
    1) won't the special challenge be a problem for people who have hair/face from event or other hard to get cosmetics? I dont have such problem, but I love everyone who has special face/hair
    2) I feel like having a map boss be part of challenge will just cause frustration and fighting, especially with fewer maps now. It could be ok, but 10 feels like overkill...Also, this doesnt count for crimson, but maybe it can be 1 map boss per hour or whatever, so not all 6 map bosses get killed by one person.

3. Fix

Fix Slime

Dec 27, 2021
    Male
    Sondre
    Shadower
    Nimbus
    There is a NPC in Amoria that can change your styles to any prevous ones you have had in the past for 10m mesos. This is how people "collect" styles during events.

That being said, I think the "change hair 5 times" challenge is generally just a "pay 50m or 10k NX" challenge (using the Amoria NPC or EXP coupons). Kinda monotonous, like the NTS one.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    I find it kind of interesting the people that try to bring up a point specially mention "it is for casual users" Yeah... That's correct, it *is* for casual users, it is an ALTERNATIVE, where the long and tedious system (washing itself) remains possible.

• Agree Agree x 8
  5. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    9:16 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    i can see it being abused for nefarious deeds

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Oatmeal

Oatmeal Mano

Dec 23, 2019
    I'd like the challenges to focus more on being novel rather than just proof of you using your class with damage dealt or mobs killed.
    There's an oppurtunity here to get players to kill unconventional mobs and bosses, collect weird items, do quests, do JQs, talk to an far away npc, visit a faraway map, craft items and any other random things.
    I understand that's where the optional challenges would be, but why even have the general and class specific ones anyway?
    They are at best completely irrelevant because they don't force you to do anything you weren't already going to and at worst very grindy.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. RainbowYarn

RainbowYarn Pink Teddy

Jan 14, 2020
    Male
    United Kingdom
    3:16 PM
    What if class specific quests were about fighting certain monsters or bosses instead? That would make it more difficult.
    This could be based around things the job is already good at or is easier for them to do.

Like Dark Knights could have the quest to kill 1000 Himes, or Bowmasters hunt Anego, or Corsair hunt Bigfoot.

It's at least more challenging than dealing a certain amount of damage with a single skill, that would be achieved before hitting the next level.

• Creative Creative x 1
  8. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    7:16 AM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Staff releases most custom ML class balance changes and people complain game is not evolving lol.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Mirrors

Mirrors Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    Mirrors
    WeenieHutJrs
    I think you underestimate the amount of casual players here on this server. If you play vanilla maple you will end up with a ranged character with like 6k HP at higher levels. There's just no way to even vaguely participate in content.

At this point you can kind of think of it as survival of the fittest. All these players have already quit since their characters are dead with not enough HP to do late game content. The majority of the players who have remained on this server are washed out, waiting to wash, or in the middle of washing. The HP challenges are not for us.

Many of the players who are looking for a v62 version of old school MapleStory are likely adults now who have full time jobs, families, hobbies. They don't have time everyday to grind for hours or to vote 2 years in a row to get their NL working. They just want to play a game from their childhood and relive that nostalgia. We are hoping to allow these players the OPPORTUNITY to access endgame content if they want to without waiting for years time gated by NX and a deeply inted character. Personally I do not have the time or energy to invest in a 30k NL and I'd be very happy with a 14k one at HT with HB. But each to their own, right?

Appreciate your feedback! Please keep in mind that Maple back in the day constantly had massive patches and updates. Legends purposefully stays at v62 specifically to provide that old school experience - there is only so much we can do (ain't no way we will be importing Angelic Buster lol).

If the game is not for you anymore and you want to play something new, that is fine. This server is specifically for the old school, v62 MapleStory nostalgia experience. Regardless, I hope you've enjoyed your time here and thank you for playing. :)

In the future, if you'd like to officially submit a feedback thread with concrete suggestions on how to fix the issues you're describing, we'd be more than happy to listen. Cheers!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  10. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Claims ML isn't evolving then points to two examples where evolution occurred. :think:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    The whole point and purpose is to give casual users an ALTERNATIVE to still access all boss contents without having to wash or overwhelm themselves from having to deal with it, by doing easier-to-understand tasks. It won't fix people that tryhard min-max and is also not meant to be BETTER than washing. Its once again an ALTERNATIVE option.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Snork

Snork Capt. Latanica

Feb 19, 2018
    Snorf
    Paladin
    Lore
    it's a bit confusing to call them optional when you need to complete one for the reward

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Caenyss

Caenyss Capt. Latanica

Jan 30, 2018
    Male
    Lisbon
    3:16 PM
    Caenyss
    Bowmaster
    It seems like a good portion of the current players have played this game for so long and exhausted all the regular and expected goals this game can reach regardless of new content that has come or is yet to come.

Min-maxing is the only thing that still gives them a purpose to play and anything that introduces difficulty to that objective is automatically deemed as bad. They're looking at the game with a whole different perspective of what the Staff wants this game to be. It can honestly come across as entitlement to their ways more often than not.

I'm saying this as a casual player that keeps track of this game development, and threads, and posts, and issues, and complains and suggestions, etc. It's a good thing there's so much activity and care from both staff and players alike, but sometimes I feel like a lot of people need to take a step back and evaluate the real importance of these themes. Be open to different perspectives. Take more breaks than not.

Cheers.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    There are older players that just want to fuck around, too. I'm sure there are a fair amount of older players that are looking forward to the challenge system so that they can finally experience 2nd-3rd job again on a replay whereas they'd opted for rope hanging prior because of the heavy washing meta. With DKs now getting propelled forward on the tier lists with the recent change, I feel like the whole anti-HB reliant narrative is going to disappear in the next year as more people explore the reworked class (and future reworked off-meta classes).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    You shouldn't get so defensive when people disagree with your opinion when you disagree with others. Like them, they give their thought. However, by constantly mentioning you are not going to play anyway maybe your thoughts are seen as a bit biased on the opposing side. We (and so do the community) rather aim for the players actually playing the server, and not have long quit only to throw a few responses only to leave again right after (which sadly is a common theme for quite a lot of people).

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. TallBird

TallBird Mano

Apr 16, 2021
    Male
    CrumbCake
    Crossbowman
    none
    Sounds exciting! I'm way off from being able to do the challenges yet, but hey just another thing to look forward to!:pinkbean:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    Yes hello it is me. I played ML since 2017, Royals before that, and other servers before that, going all the way back to Big Bang update (I played GMS prior to Big Bang). I am washing two of my characters (Cleric and Spearman) but also have a bunch of unwashed characters. Looking forward to using this system for my Archmage and my CB.

18. iTzFacts

iTzFacts Blue Snail

Jan 1, 2023
    Male
    4:16 AM
    idk about that one xP. I disagree

19. Kugel

Kugel Red Snail

Nov 26, 2020
    Male
    Bear
    Beginner, Buccaneer
    Misfits
    I think the Travel category would be a good opportunity to teach players how to bypass boats.

idk how feasible from a programming perspective, but “Get to orbis from Lith harbor without passing through orbis station”, or similar like Ellinia to Leafre, Ariant to perion…

As further feedback, this game has entires areas of quests and no one does them. I feel like it would be a missed opportunity not to use them for hp challenges.

• Creative Creative x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Siegfried

Siegfried Master Chronos

Apr 21, 2017
    Male
    If we were to treat HP challenges as progression stat checks (which it is), then tying it in into other parts of progression is a good idea (i.e. learning how to play the game).

For instance, class specific challenges, rather than being basic stat-checks, could be like: "Kill this enemy without breaking your Battleship (Sair)", "Kill that enemy with Meso Explosion (CB)", and the like. Basing yourselves based on people's class guides (community guides!) could be extremely interesting to tie in stat progression with gameplay progression (how you play the game/class).

Essentially, this can be thought as a pseudo "Job Advancement" on a macro level, because you're exploring the mechanics of the game while being rewarded with HP to do more things later on (like Zakum, HT...). Or, an evolution of the first four Job-related quests you've received at Level 10.

This is along the same lines as:

And this sort of stat to gameplay progression would negate this argument:

I think combining the class specific ones with global challenges is a good way to balance styles of gameplay, to avoid boredom or staleness: Solo play vs Collaborative play.

With progression in mind, I'd wager endgame players prefer/want skilled players to participate with them. If you're out of luck, it shouldn't because you haven't read 100 page PDFs and spreadsheets of damage calculations or mechanic abuse, whatever, to know how your class plays. Personally, and casuals, don't reeeally want to do that, do they? This should tie into the game itself, by having the game teach you how to play.

Hell, I don't even want to bother reading multiple (read: scattered) forum posts about balance changes on an external link to the game. It's just too much commitment nowadays (yes, throw your casual stones at me!).

OK, these are fun ideas. Expand on the gameplay! Give more value to doing things that are already in MapleStory as we remember it.

For example, for optional quests, how about: "Complete 20 quests in [X] region, like El Nath" (can be tweaked per region, as some quests are absolutely brutal...)

This would tie in nicely with how you get new quests in new areas when you level up, giving a reason to go out and explore places, level up, get rewards, etc...

Would also give the Maple World some more vibrancy. Wouldn't mind seeing some random Adventurers in the deep pits of Sleepywood.

There's surely a bit of lee-way to play around with here, and these changes probably aren't that difficult to implement. Rapidly implement and test, test, test!

Overall, I'm very happy about the idea of an HP-challenge system. I just want it to be fun to do, not so much a chore!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1