1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

The reason why our ToS needs to change

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by fael, Jul 6, 2023.

1. Pelinsu

Pelinsu Timer

Jan 15, 2022
    11:05 AM
    If I have an issue with the ToS -which I stated above that I'm verry happy with it- I can still come here on this thread where we discussed the whole thing and state whatever opinion I have. This is why the forum exists.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Vowels

Vowels Mr. Anchor

Jan 23, 2019
    5:05 AM
    untrue
    Bishop
    Pasta
    cause some people just see this as an 'us vs them' thing. Self-righteous players on this side, toxic players on the other side, they battle in the middle, very epic.
    if you have disagreements with ToS it's because you are a toxic idiot and not because there's legitimate concerns regarding autonomy, privacy, context, etc

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    1:05 AM
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Yeah honestly it felt so unproductive. Instead of making arguments of why the ToS was good/bad or why the proposed changes were good/bad, just strawman arguments of "if you dont like the tos you probably just want to be toxic". The main reason this thread went so long imo is there's too many people making personal attacks and trying to judge others rather than trying to be constructive.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    The problem is the entirety of section 3. Abuse within the Community should be treated as civil cases as they always involve two parties. However, the punishments for these match that of criminal cases.

I find it ridiculous that someone can get booted off this server for saying something unintentionally stupid in a public discord meant for shooting the shit, let alone making a joke in a private discord amongst friends -- and this could have happened years ago with strikes still counting toward your last. All it takes is for someone to be offended enough to report it - and the extent to which one is offended cannot ever be properly challenged or disputed by Staff. I can easily scrounge through the official MapleLegends discord and isolate exchanges between active players in order to submit a report based on the pretense that I am offended, even if not directly involved. The current version of ToS still allows for that, and Staff are held under the gun to follow through and are powerless to object to my offendedness.

IMO, this is more destructive to the community than it is protective.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    These last 3 posts pretty much sum up everything I had to say, specially the first. Thanks <3

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  6. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    4:05 PM
    i have a better suggestion. REMOVE PB. contentious boss that leads to drama and bans.

• Creative Creative x 6
  7. LiquidOoze

LiquidOoze Mixed Golem

Feb 7, 2018
    4:05 AM
    Post like these make me miss how many funny reacts you would earn.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    i mean. its true right. since when do u see drama and bans becos of other bosses, e.g. zak?

9. Edann

Edann Slimy Retired Staff

Oct 24, 2020
    11:05 AM
    Edann
    I/L Arch Mage
    Pasta
    It's all about creative react now

• Creative Creative x 9
  10. Palladino

Palladino Master Chronos

Apr 26, 2020
    10:05 AM
    Paladin
    Funk
    I love the maplelegends forums.

• Great Work Great Work x 16
  11. OP
    OP
    fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
  12. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    5:05 PM
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    As one who is considered as one of end-game players (even though I'm quite doubtful for that), with my all heart, I truly wish to say, not every end game players accept toxicity and agree on It's bad necessary. or at least, I do think so. Toxicity can be excluded, and It should be. Recent ToS change is one of great attempts for that, and I do believe this would be nice step to going forward. I don't think this is perfect and 100% right, but this has potential for better future. I believe so.

I'm curioused why this 'cursed thread' (I love this mention MirrorsMirrors LOOOOL) still luring ppls.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    3:05 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    conflict is inherent in human nature and exists in both war and peace. if there are forceful changes (see funny emote) it just changes to some different form (creative). let's not pretend it doesn't exist. i'm sure even at some more "inclusive" circles, it's taxing to keep up some illusion of a clean, perfect self.

• Creative Creative x 4
  14. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Imagine how taxing it is for staff xD

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Now imagine if the Staff position was treated less like a strict, professional obligation and more as a volunteer moderator of a small community? I feel like that'd be a lot less stressful.

It's a given that Staff aren't perfect, and there should be no expectations for Staff to be perfect.

16. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    I think there shouldn't be much of a problem if rules are direct without space for interpretation - as long as it's enforced evenly. It'd be hard to accuse staff of bias if a reason for enforcement is literally there, and will cap any discontent. It's not rare for players to view Staff as a club; percieved abuses of power just make players vote with their feet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    I think this is wishful thinking in terms of policymaking.

18. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    totally is, but we strive toward an ideal

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    could be a utopia tho.

20. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Think the problem is there is also a sizeable percent of the community that want the reverse. Actions/behaviors/lack of action are held against us. The smallest things we do are nitpicked and scrutinized. Reported for staff abuse, or rumors spread that x staff member is partaking in staff abuse. Etc.

Then it no longer becomes a volunteer position of a small community, and more of a professional obligation.

Often times, Staff is a product of the community, their actions, and their demands.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1