1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Information Anniversary 2023 Balance Changes [Explained]

Discussion in 'Update Notes' started by Nise, Jun 7, 2023.

1. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    12:02 PM
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    Well I hope you (staff, not you in particular) realise how big of a step it is from oldschool maple to adding custom weapons because it didn't hurt.

2. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    5:02 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    i'm working on 2 intlords rn, will be part of the first in the new double stab generation ^____^

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Mirrors

Mirrors Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    3:02 AM
    Mirrors
    WeenieHutJrs
    Honestly I am having difficulty understanding the potential harm in adding a custom level 35 dagger. I don't see the issue in giving more weapons/content/stuff to lower-level players

Also staff have been adding custom items / weapons for years that have not existed in v62 before - namely, all the NT weapons, all the Pink Bean Reverse/Timeless weapons, and Facestompers, etc...

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    FS were a mistake :moodge:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. OmbReanrd

OmbReanrd Master Chronos

Nov 11, 2020
    Québec
    6:02 AM
    Fara
    Paladin
    a custom maple dagger only balance the event box reward giving a worth to doing pq instead of grinding for K-fans which are not yet a viable spot for lv 35 bandits
    i see no issue here

Last edited: Jun 12, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    The harm I see is in opening Pandora’s box with established precedent. If double stab gets buffed, does that mean every other useless skill has justification to get buffed as well?

It’s a known fact we have limited dev time. Tending to low impact changes can be seen as a misuse of time.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  7. Gurk

Gurk Nightshadow

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    Gxrk
    Hero, Bishop, Marksman, Shadower, Buccaneer, Corsair
    I think what Soblet is saying is that it isn't a good enough justification to add something very custom to a server that advertises itself as old school solely on the merit of "it doesn't hurt". If it's going to be custom, it should at the very least have a good reason for existing and address some significant issue that can't otherwise be solved with a simple tweak. Making a change "just because" could ostensibly be seen as a slippery slope (whether true or not) because if custom changes that aren't actually necessary (but are otherwise harmless individually) continue to be made over time, you'll eventually end up with a ship of Theseus of sorts where the server is no longer recognizable as an old school server. This is of course a bit of hyperbole but might help to showcase the angle from which some people might be viewing it from.

Additionally, I think when most people think of the old school MapleStory experience (and the preservation of its core), they more or less compartmentalize the game into pre-HT content and post-HT content. That is, any changes affecting the latter component doesn't degrade the old school experience because the overwhelming majority of people never even made it to the latter part back in the old days and so it has little to no impact on the people playing the game primarily for nostalgia reasons.

Personally, I don't really have any qualms with custom changes that are a significant departure from the old school base (and even encourage them) insofar that they serve to remedy a real issue. The purpose of the addition of the level 35 maple dagger was to address an issue present with the crafting system. However, if we are abandoning that crafting system then the reason for its existence is now lost. Now does the single act of adding this dagger to the game have any real negative consequences or singlehandedly ruin nostalgia immersion? Probably not, but if such changes with rather flimsy justifications for their addition continue to build up over time, it ostensibly could (at least for the old school crowd and purists) so perhaps custom changes should be made with a bit more care and thought.

That's just me explaining how I think some people might perceive this, anyways. I don't care too much one way or the other at this point.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  8. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    TY Gurkie for clarifiying that's pretty much it yea. Also thanks for making me feel illiterate.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
  9. Pasta

Pasta Game Developer Staff Member Game Developer

Jul 18, 2017
    Male
    Pastaland
    Moderator Post
    I understand the concern, but I feel it's misplaced. There has been feedback about the lack of a proper Maple dagger upgrade path, which is why it was made. We haven't permanently moved away from the old crafting system, we are simply experimenting new options, and while this means that the "dagger problem" is not present during this event, we still decided to introduce the already-made item, because it brought no downsides.

With the concern being "misplaced" I mean that I am surprised that this dagger is a controversial issue to the point of being considered a big step away from old school, while we have gone through much more custom and impactful changes. I could agree if this addition was out of the blue with zero reasoning, but that's not the case, as I explained.

Edit:
    Double Stab changes were not made by me, as they didn't require system changes.

• Like Like x 4
  10. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    I'm sure the dozen of players who actually go double stab bandit route in the next year will appreciate it, if they notice it at all.

I guess shads finally got the rework they deserve.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  11. Rainemard

Rainemard Balance Team Staff Member Balance Team

Jun 30, 2022
    Male
    Rainemard
    Paladin
    Nimbus
    where lv35 maple spear/polearm/axe/BW though? I understand adding dagger to the repertoire if you want to make the oldschool leveling method feel better, but warriors would need the accuracy the most yet they can only use swords (which fucks over spearmen mostly, but anyone who wants to use bw/axe also)

• Great Work Great Work x 1
  12. Skuire

Skuire Nightshadow

Aug 16, 2017
    4:02 AM
    Skucci
    Shadower
    tfw shads ruin another forum thread

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Any shadower discourse?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Gurk

Gurk Nightshadow

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    Gxrk
    Hero, Bishop, Marksman, Shadower, Buccaneer, Corsair
    meme.png

Last edited: Jun 13, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. OP
    OP
    Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    7:02 PM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    That's a very good point, and reveals Neckson's design inconsistencies yet again xD

If the majority of the community seems onboard with:
    - The necessity of lvl 35 maple spear / polearm / axe / BW
    - The existence of these kind of custom additions (which we're technically testing the waters with with the lvl 35 Maple Dagger)

I don't see a reason why it couldn't/shouldn't happen~

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    But what about perma beginners

• Great Work Great Work x 2
  17. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    ); DROP TABLE Beginners;--

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. OP
    OP
    Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    7:02 PM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    [Speaking as non-staff]

For anyone that's watched King's Avatar. WHAT IF. perma beginners can just equip everything. And be able to swap out weapons mid fight.
    (I'm really hoping someone gets this reference)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  19. xDarkomantis

xDarkomantis Mushmom

Jan 20, 2021
    Male
    6:02 AM
    Yes, L7 will still outperform Double Stab but with the changes they made, any early Bandit player who wanted to opt for DS won't struggle nearly as hard before. What's so wrong about doing a Dagger Bandit instead of SinDit that it's considered roleplay to do what should be normal? It's not our fault Neckson was terrible at balance and refused to do changes, opting to just make new classes (i.e. dual blade is bandit 2.0 or arans being heroes 2.0).
    It sounds to me like you're jaded too some degree. If you're that frustrated with how balance is going, then you should go for the Game Balancer role or apply to be apart of Staff so you can weigh in on the discussions. I've only started Legends almost a year ago and my combined playtime is around 3 months (as I stopped playing to move back to other server). My opinion with Legends is that there's some stuff here that's way behind and I'm baffled as to how some things aren't yet implemented or were handled. That said, I'm in favor of any positive changes even it's not all of what I wanted (you can view my Shadower & Corsair threads as well as my comment history. I also made a comment about the IED before).

While the idea of a "Old School" server is cool and all, the ship has already sailed. We're not getting that childhood experience back. The players have become older and have experienced new games and improved game design since the pre-bb days. You can only try to establish a gameplay style reminiscent of that old era gameplay from the 2000s but improved. Players should have and want QoL on things that makes sense but doesn't completely go off the walls (i.e. HP washing, PQ rewards, faster climbing speed, Dark sight removed from Assassinate, etc).

Of course, what makes "sense" revolves around the Owner's vision and their compromise with the community on requested changes. As long as the gameplay is still intact and is similar to pre-bb, people will enjoy the many small changes even if they don't fully know it. I highly doubt 2~3 years down the line people will go "man I miss when there was less QoL changes".

Most people will certainly enjoy it unknowingly or not. Any other changes should still be requested by the community.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    7:02 AM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    brothers, talking about shadowers there is a Quest guide that makes you lv 42 on average very easy, even faster if it is not the first char, I believe it already made the savage blow usable or not?