1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

I want to settle down on Legends, but I've got some questions

Discussion in 'Introductions & Farewells' started by SwordRainXi, Mar 19, 2019.

1. SwordRainXi

SwordRainXi Red Snail

Aug 7, 2017
    Male
    United States
    10:43 PM
    FauxCaliburn
    Page
    So I've been wanting to get back into Maplestory lately, but I don't think I want to go back to MapleRoyals. Just a while ago, I made a thread in General Discussion talking about the state of Private Servers (and I promise I'm not saying this as a shameless self-insert, I was just throwing that out there for context), and in that thread, I mentioned that Royals doesn't seem to be very well-liked outside of its own cult-following of a playerbase. I used to have no idea why other people didn't like Royals, and assumed that it was just the fact many Maplers are loyal to only one or two servers and generally don't like the others. I personally had a fairly positive experience with Royals back when I was super active 3-4 years ago. The people I met were fairly friendly, and I didn't have any issues with the GMs/Administration. However, I've talked to a few people who had negative experiences with the community and the administration. I've also heard talk of how their server's economy is in a bad state at the moment.

So at this point, I'm willing to believe that maybe Royals isn't that great of a server despite its popularity and maybe it's time to leave. Personally, I'm kinda tired of trying to keep up with their community, since everyone seems to be in such a hurry to leech and HP wash their main DPS character up to bossing standards, and that's pretty much the name of the game for everyone.

/start rant
    Honestly, when I played pre-BB Maple on the official servers, I could care less about the "meta" of the game. My friends and I just played Maplestory like any other RPG, playing the classes that we wanted to play, and playing them the way we wanted to. But in a lot of "nostalgic" servers like Royals, it seems everyone just HAS to play the "meta" of old-school Maple. By meta, I basically mean how only the best DPS classes (like NL, Bowmaster, and Corsair) are wanted for boss runs, and since boss parties don't usually include a DK and their lovely Hyper Body buff, that means all the DPS players have to HP Wash. So essentially, your first character has to be a bishop so that you can farm/sell leech in order to Hp-wash AND fund your actual main character. Which just isn't the way I like to play Maple. I mean I guess I could just not worry about bossing at all and only worry about leveling...but I digress.
    /end rant

Anyway, sorry for the rant. In any case, I'm just kinda curious as to what kind of negative experiences other people had on Royals and what Legends does better. Like I said above, I'm totally willing to believe that Royals has the issues that people say it has. I just want a few more examples to go off of so that I can make an informed decision before leaving their server behind for good.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Nrii

Nrii Brown Teddy

Aug 13, 2017
    Skele
    8:43 PM
    GuiltySymbol
    Bishop
    Influence
    As another former-royals player, I hear you.
    There's a good number of design decisions this server has made that both affect community attitude and game "feel".
    It's different to the point where I'm sure you'd find a nicely unique experience.

However, I don't think it's too productive or good-spirited to frame a conversation in the context of what another server does "wrong", negative experiences notwithstanding.

The best way to form your opinion on what Legends/Royals does right or wrong is by seeing it for yourself!
    Figure out what design philosophies and community traits you like in a server and judge with ur own eyes :^)

There's a cool newbie charity you can find here:
    https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/mis-charity-foundation.24006/
    And the discord you can find here:
    https://discordapp.com/invite/XytSU72

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Any server that heads towards end game will end up like royals. If you have a sea of nightlords available to you, why would you take a paladin or lower DPM class when there is a nightlord available? Likewise, when there are no nightlords available, you are willing to just take what you can get.

IMO, legends is slowly becoming like royals, but is still at that point where the community is more friendly and willing to take pretty much all classes to boss runs. HP washing isn't the expectation
    here (yet), and pretty much all horntail runs that I have been on have had at least 1 DK per party.

Anyways, the expectation here isn't to make a mage first and use that to fund a DPS character (there are plenty of really strong players here who don't have a mage). But, you shouldn't expect to be able to compete (damage wise or level wise) with someone else who did make a mage first. They can just outfarm you and outleech you. But don't let that discourage you because the bossing culture here is a lot more inclusive than royals. People let my shitty 200 base int corsair on zak runs and cwkpqs so the community here really is friendly and nice. I personally have never seen anyone "rejected" from boss runs because they weren't "X" class (besides maybe cwkpq), but in the future I do think it will happen.

Also, compared to royals the gap between classes here are not as large (all of the gear is inherently weaker due to no godly system, we don't have any permanent attack shoes yet, chaos/white scrolls are much, much, harder to obtain). So if you want to play legends and play an off meta class go for it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    SwordRainXi

SwordRainXi Red Snail

Aug 7, 2017
    Male
    United States
    FauxCaliburn
    Page
    I was afraid that this would end up being the case. I guess there's no such thing as a server that's completely immune to old Maplestory's overly-elitist "bossing culture". But Legends seems to have a friendly-enough community to counteract that, so that's good.

5. Hito

Hito Stone Golem

May 4, 2017
    Straya
    11:43 AM
    Ainu
    Hermit
    Galaxy
    Everything trends towards decay but I don't think Legends will trend towards that mindset. I've only ever known this community to be inclusive and I've been here since the start of 2017.

6. telemachus

telemachus Horny Mushroom

Feb 4, 2019
    null
    null
    Beginner
    null
    my experience with MapleRoyals is threefold:
    1. a while ago when i still used Windongs, i tried playing 'Royals and had trouble with my MAC address being banned for no reason, which is not only a tad irritating but also really doesn't make any sense since MAC bans are useless (spoofing one's MAC address is completely trivial)
    2. i can't play their server now anyways since it decidedly does not work through Wine
    3. vote-to-win is almost as bad as pay-to-win. sorry 'Royals
    that's good. unfortunately, without some elbow grease on the part of the server creator towards making the game interesting and also balancing it thoroughly (which, imo, means disallowing HP washing and requiring players to spend AP on HP and/or to wear HP equipment and/or to use defensive skills instead), maplestory is just not a very good game to be playing for this kind of RPG experience. the fact of the matter is that pretty much no servers do the former (make the game interesting), and finding servers that do the latter (thorough balancing) is like panning for gold with a kitchen sieve

the reason that almost no servers make the game interesting is because, let's face it, most people are still playing this (excusez mon français) dumb fucking game because they have nostalgia for it from playing it as a lil kiddo, so there is basically zero incentive to change it in any significant way. the reason that almost no servers actually balance the game is for the previous reason, but also another reason: people who play maplestory have their heads stuck so far up the asshole of Neckson/wizet's shitty game design that everything just looks dark and they think that the only way to balance the game is to tippy-toe around the game and hope that little tweaks will magically undo the curse that has been placed upon their heads

all of this is not to be too critical of servers like MapleRoyals and MapleLegends (itself a more sane version of 'Royals, it seems). there is absolutely a place for nostalgic & lotophagic maplestory servers and i think they're great, if perhaps a tad clueless about how to balance the game

• Like Like x 1
  7. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    9:43 PM
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    As far as bossing goes, I don't feel like bossing groups in legends are too selective about their members. Its not particularly difficult to get in HT runs at all, usually sign up sheets are available to anyone over the minimum level requirement. Furthermore, its not like all the NLs/BMs around are that strong, you can make up for being a sub-optimal dpm class by being higher level or having better gear (and also not having 200 base int XD). So if your concern is picking an non-top tier DPM class and being unable to get into boss runs, that shouldn't be an issue in legends.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    SwordRainXi

SwordRainXi Red Snail

Aug 7, 2017
    Male
    United States
    FauxCaliburn
    Page
    You just hit the nail on the head right there. MapleF18
    Despite the fact that I still enjoy Maplestory more in its oldschool form than in its modern form, I've come to realize that old Maple was....quite frankly, a very shitty-designed MMO.
    I can't tell you how many times I've scrolled down the list of servers on Gtop100, found a server around ranks 10-20, got excited when they start mentioning features/changes like rebalancing the game, only to be disappointed when said server ends up never becoming successful or relevant and dies off within a few weeks or months.
    It seems like there actually IS a small handful of people out there who would like to see old Maple redesigned to play more like a real MMORPG, where most of the classes aren't just different flavors of DPS and actually have real roles in a party environment. You know, a game where people AREN'T incentivized to only play the best DPS classes and abuse gimmicks like HP washing to make themselves self-reliant so they don't need to rely on other players/classes.

But its as you said. Many people in the private server scene would much rather spout off excuses like "Its not nostalgic if its not as close to GMS as possible, therefore, we have to keep X feature in the game"...and then proceed to tip-toe around design issues. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd like to scratch my nostalgia itch as much as the next Mapler, but I also realize that younger me was incapable of recognizing the game's design flaws back when I played the official servers. Now that I CAN recognize those flaws, I'm totally willing to give up the ability to re-experience the game exactly the way I remember it in exchange for having a better-designed game.

Not that I'm directing any of this criticism at Legends...I haven't played it enough to judge it. I'm mainly directing it at Royals and other servers that I've tried.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    9:43 PM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Haven't really played royals, except maybe a little bit years and years ago. So I can't say anything about how it is now.

But about design issues, yes I'd agree the original maplestory was poorly designed. It took players years of experience to figure this out, and lots of guides, and power creep. But now we are to the point where most people know all the important mechanics and nuances of the game, they know the "most optimal" way to play, and quite frankly it isn't fun.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. OP
    OP
    SwordRainXi

SwordRainXi Red Snail

Aug 7, 2017
    Male
    United States
    FauxCaliburn
    Page
    Actually, I would say that's probably one of the biggest factors as to why private servers are the way they are. It's not necessarily the server creator's/developers' fault; it's partially ours too. Assuming that most of us were young back when we started playing Maple, we weren't very good at figuring out the nuances or how to optimize our gameplay. Now that we're all mostly adults (and most of us have more gaming experience, to boot), all that stuff becomes second nature.

Not to mention the fact that simply being on a private server makes certain things easier or more accessible. Not to beat HP-Washing like a dead horse or anything, but it's actually a good example of this. I would imagine that not many people utilized HP-Washing on the official servers, since AP resets cost NX, and therefore, real money. But on most private servers, AP Resets can be more easily obtained since servers allow you to vote for NX. Alternatively, some servers make them buyable with mesos. And I guess you could also say that leeching yourself is much easier thanks to servers that allow you to multiclient.

So yeah, I would definitely have to agree, it's not very fun. Not much we can do about it though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. hsmule5430

hsmule5430 Slimy

Aug 3, 2017
    6:43 AM
    Thief
    We can Nerf mage, Nerf leech, Nerf/change hs, make nx and ap resets harder to make/get/access and SO much more
    Don't see why u say nothing we could do
    If u want I can make a list of things we could do to make the server better

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Lidas

Lidas Mixed Golem

Sep 14, 2017
    Male
    Lidas
    Bowmaster
    i feel the same about hp washing. its making many problems, and unbalance the classes and players so much.

the things that good about legends:
    stable, good balance of skils(maybe just paladins need change?). good community. good staff.

the only bad things i see:
    hp washing,multiclient/leech.
    you need to make hs mule/you cant start with the class you want(or its hard).

i think that what bad about royals is the rates. too easy.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. hsmule5430

hsmule5430 Slimy

Aug 3, 2017
    Thief
    Agree.
    Just what's wrong with pala? If anything too op with Shaolin and neo Tokyo now.
    Also there is no balance in skills when lvl 150 mages do 20mil dpm with no attack pot while grinding when other classes do 5mil.

14. Lidas

Lidas Mixed Golem

Sep 14, 2017
    Male
    Lidas
    Bowmaster
    i see it like this:
    mages get op mob skills. so they shouldnt be on boss fights.
    as for all other classes, every one need to have party skill. exept NL and sair(cuz theyhave the highest dpm) although they have some too.
    if m not wrong paladins is the only class that do nothing for the party.
    i think in later versions they made treathen better skill. but im not sure if it work on bosses

15. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    paladins train as fast as mid gear'd 14x to 15x mages on this server though.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. Lidas

Lidas Mixed Golem

Sep 14, 2017
    Male
    Lidas
    Bowmaster
    if its true the server is more balanced than i thought.

17. Humpf

Humpf Orange Mushroom

Jan 25, 2019
    Male
    1:43 PM
    Corrosion
    Agree to this post 100%

I was a former Royals player and came to Legends a couple months ago, and even though it is nostalgic for me, the only thing I can complain about is the HP washing system. On the original maple I didn't have to worry about it and could just play any class I felt like (was a sin main) and just enjoy my time and not worry about anything, but because HP washing is a thing on this server, it "scared" me away from playing my once lovely sin like the old days, so iv gone to Bandit as it doesn't require HP washing due to Meso Guard, but its just not the same. Its fun don't get me wrong, but I guess trying to accomplish a successful sin on the original server was a goal for me that I never finished and wont be able to unless im funded asf and HP wash.

And yes they say making a mage first is the way to go so you can farm mobs with AOE, sell leech, make money etc, I got my mage to 40 and gave up due to the fact I was getting bored and its not what I wanted to do, never did it in old maple, I just want to play the class I want with no consequences

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Marchilles/Annolis/ Atlan/Katroz/ Chokal/Corvack/Tisif/ Quallo/Crisilixin/Forg/ Nannosh/Tylius
    Crusader, White Knight, Dragon Knight, F/P Mage, I/L Mage, Priest, Ranger, Sniper, Hermit, Chief Bandit, Marauder, Outlaw
    Eternals
    I made a HUGE list of quest bugs and other game anomalies that plagued MapleRoyals. The only credit I was ever left with was here:

Why would you start a server knowing how many bugs you had? Why would players have to spam the NPC chat button in order for an NPC to acknowledge you've completed a quest? The workmanship was shoddy and they didn't seem to concerned with it, either. They just assumed "real" players only grind and don't do any of the quests. They couldn't even get the Ariant quests to work because they failed to code Byron's quest for touching the water.

On top of that, when your level goes up so fast at the beginning with (what is it, x4 or x6 exp?) you miss out on all the lovely features of the game at the lower levels.

Where Kimberly did right with MapleLegends is that with a x2 exp rate, we're all playing GMS as if we had 24 hour x2 cards on all the time, which is PERFECT! Kimberly thought through the problems of GMS and has made (and continues to make) the game what it should have been.

People who play Royals do so because they want to grind, get an OP attacker, and do the bosses from their childhood only to later quit. Why not play a x20 server and get the whole thing done and over with faster? It's basically a cheating mod - and if you've played with cheating mods before, you know the feeling of achievement is underwhelming...because you really didn't achieve it...you cheated your way into it. It's not satisfying.

MapleLegends satisfies!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. yogurtseller

yogurtseller Mixed Golem

Nov 28, 2017
    wholesomeABG
    Shadower
    I played Royals from May 2015 - Summer 2016 and made a 16x corsair and a 14x bishop.

I quit Royals for a couple reasons:

- HUGE gap between rich and poor people. When I first started in May 2015, it wasn't so bad. As the server grew, more and more high atk equips started popping up. I suspect this was due to the high availability of iTCG items, chaos, white scrolls, etc from gach & voting. What I like about Legends is that gach doesn't give a huge competitive advantage because honestly gach here sucks, and you don't see too many high atk equips floating around.

- High pressure to HP wash because AP resets are so easily obtained. Right before I quit, I started making a high INT bowman to have at least 9k HP. When I realized how much time and money it'll take to HP wash and reset out the INT, I got overwhelmed thinking about all of the time and mesos that would be required before I could actually play the character. HP washing is a thing here, but most people aren't going for ridiculous goals like 12k HP on a ranged character. I think this is because NX isn't tradeable here, so you'll be voting for a long time if you have a high HP goal.

- Royals removed the FM button. Dumbest move ever. How else am I supposed to hang out with my friends :(

- Bossing runs were pretty exclusive. Need: high range / attacking class and minimum HP for HT. I've only ever went on 1 HT run as a 16x corsair there because I felt like a liability since a ton of runs didn't have HB.

- The EXP rate there is 4x, so it's pretty quick to get to endgame. One consequence I felt with 4x EXP rates was that a lot of my friends felt more inclined to make 4th job buff mules (SI, SE) because it's easier to level. Don't get me wrong though; there are 4th job buff mules here as well. However, there definitely isn't as many 4th job buff mules here.

Things I like about Legends:
    EXP rate is slower, so I spend more time talking to people and doing PQs. From what I've seen, damage range isn't that big of a deal here, which I personally really like because I don't feel excluded from having shit damage because I chose the smokescreen mule class. HP washing isn't that big of a deal here yet. This could soon change with the new ability of multi account voting where people stock up NX for AP resets on a mule account.

Summary: Royals feels like it has a high barrier to entry while it doesn't feel like it here.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  20. telemachus

telemachus Horny Mushroom

Feb 4, 2019
    null
    null
    Beginner
    null
    pretty much this right here. i've played a server before (now defunct lmao) that actually bothered to balance the game and it was great. they got rid of leeching entirely (thank god) and instead buffed party-based play. the classes were rebalanced so that they used the original skills from v62 and everything, but all the skills actually had clear uses (except final attack, heyooo) and the classes had clear utility in terms of what they could offer to a party... this actually involved nerfing some mages (priests/bishops) and buffing others (I/Ls and F/Ps, although probably not in the way you'd think). AP resets were fairly "easy" to get (relatively speaking), but HP washing was completely disabled and you also couldn't reset in or out of HP or MP anyways (you had to put points into those things yourself, with no resets involved)

like you say here, there's lots of things that you can do to make the game balanced & fun/interesting, many of which i've seen before

HP washing and leeching are definitely the enemies of fun & balance, but i dont think multiclienting is part of that. you can't prevent people from multiclienting anyways so the only way to """balance""" that is by making multiclienting as easy as possible for everyone. and i agree that people should be able to start with any class they like to play (which makes more sense once the classes are actually balanced)

this is one of the balances i've actually seen, that server buffed threaten by at least an order of magnitude or something. it was fairly powerful and they made it affect bosses as well, making paladins actually quite useful in parties

this seems to be one of the strengths of MapleLegends, seeing as this server seems to take a stance that questing actually matters (thank god), making the experience and rewards somewhat appreciable, which i like a lot as someone who likes to do mostly quests

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 3