1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm home again

Discussion in 'Introductions & Farewells' started by Alphard, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Alphard

Alphard Blue Snail

Dec 10, 2020
    Male
    8:04 AM
    Hey everyblody, I'm super excited to be here. Maple Story was my JAM from 2006 to probably 2010ish. I normally get really into a game for a few weeks then set it down for the next thing, but Maple Story was one of very few games that I'd always be playing year-round. I fondly remember eagerly downloading patch data that took forever on those old computers, watching new areas, and eventually classes come out. It was such a big part of my life, I'm kinda surprised it was only about 5 years I played. My biggest achievement was getting my main assassin character to become a Hermit. I think he ended up at around level 75 (and he had regular DEX), but I was always jumping between different characters, I think I had about 600 levels between all the characters I made. Eventually though my taste for the game started fading. I got frustrated with the economy and felt some of my achievements being weakened by the new flashier classes. (You don't know how badly I wanted to get flash jump, and then they just give it to some rando Dawn Warrior class at level 30.) I was also worried about addiction, so I took the opportunity to quit the game for good and I vowed I would never play Maple Story again. And for 10 years I kept that promise. Over time I'd hear about a friend picking up the more modern incarnation of the game and being presented with 50 class choices and getting to 3rd job in a matter of days instead of years. That wasn't my Maple Story. I've been tempted to pick it back up a couple times, but I always remembered my vow and wanted to leave the game a happy memory.

I don't know what changed. I was just thinking about the old days, reading something about the modern rise of classic mmos like Old School Runescape and WoW classic and it got me thinking about the only MMO that successfully captured my heart. A quick google search for retro Maple Story brought me to your community and I found myself ravenously reading through this forum, quickly going from hypothetically to seriously considering diving back in. I caved. I've been playing loads over the past weekend and having a blast. I was worried returning to the game with modern eyes would sour my memories of the game I once loved, but no. Even now that I understand stuff like HP washing, I'm just so happy to be back. I nearly teared up on that opening login screen with that classic song welcoming me back. It's possible in a week's time I'll be distracted by some other game, but I feel that's unlikely.

This has been a bit long and rambly, but suffice it to say that this game means a lot to me, and I'm really grateful that someone's preserved and even polished the game I once loved. The changes the mods have made to EXP and skills and stuff seem like inspired improvements. (I may love the game, but I'm not above admitting Maple Story had some fundamental problems). The community feels great and I'm delighted to see that this old game still has a decent playerbase. I've been gone for a long time, but I'm back and mean to stay a while.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
  2. Mirrors

Mirrors Game Moderator Staff Member Game Moderator

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    1:04 AM
    Mirrors
    WeenieHutJrs
    Welcome and we hope you enjoy the server!

3. NatteHond

NatteHond Skelosaurus

Apr 10, 2015
    Male
    10:04 AM
    Welcome to the server! Hope you enjoy it and have a wonderful time SlimeWink

4. thedgafclub

thedgafclub Timer

Sep 23, 2019
    Female
    1:04 AM
    thedgafclub
    Shadower
    Beaters
  5. Pepper

Pepper Wolfspider

Sep 3, 2020
    Female
    4:04 AM
    Peppermint
    Bowmaster
    Welcome! Happy to have you, hope you have a great time playing here. I made it a lot farther on this server and it really is a great community. :D

6. Nyang

Nyang Red Snail

Aug 19, 2020
    Korea
    5:04 PM
    Meow / Nyang
    Bishop
    Team
    Welcome~

7. CleverCookie

CleverCookie King Slime

May 28, 2017