1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

POLL: Anyone else plays this game, yet has NEVER played "old nostalgic" Maplestory

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by iara, Jul 16, 2018.

Tags:

Have you ever played the "old, nostalgic" original GMS Maplestory before?

1. Yes

91.4%
  2. No

8.6%
  1. iara

iara Mushmom

Jul 1, 2018
    Female
    2:51 AM
    Iara
    Crossbowman
    I discovered Maple WAY after big bang (Before Hayato and Kanna were added to GMS), so I wasn't into old Maple like most people is. Needless to say, my opinions on this game differ from the norm. I do prefer old Maplestory compared to the new one I played because most things make sense and have an use. However, there are some other things I realize "new" maple improved upon.

Would like to know how many people like me is around. So please feel free to vote in this poll. Thank you.

2. ProTato

ProTato Windraider

Jun 27, 2017
    Canada
    12:51 AM
    SweetTato
    Night Lord
    Honor
    This is an interesting topic. I assume those who have never played old-school maple, but are playing it in private servers now heard about others praising how wonderful maple used to be and stuff, so they decided to check it out?

For me, who played old-school maple before, could really get into the modern because I keep on comparing it with the nostalgic experience I had.

3. iLovKimberly

iLovKimberly Headless Horseman

Feb 23, 2017
    Male
    Malaysia
    3:51 PM
    Tsukishima/ItamiYouji
    Islander, Bishop
    Halcyon
    I got turned off by new maple due to several reason
    (i) they release new class way too fast. Before I get to grasp the mechanic of a new class, they already released new class
    (ii) they do nothing about hackers and botters, causing meso inflation, all my hard earned meso is now worthless paper
    (iii) pay-to-win

• Like Like x 1
  4. DrJason

DrJason Windraider

May 30, 2018
    Male
    Canada
    3:51 AM
    DrJason, Zrar, WhyDaggers
    Islander, F/P Arch Mage
    Oddjobs
    They also kept making the game easier and easier. The Power creep was insane. I played from Open Beta to the "Unlimited" update (when they made the bosses have x1000 more HP and increased/removed the damage cap) and that made me call it quits. It's ridiculous seeing people do 100 million damage. Who actually likes seeing that many numbers on the screen?? Big Bang was really exciting at first (except for the removal of the Monster Book - I had over 220 sets on my BM :mad:) but the power creep just took off from there. I guess miracle cubes were the first huge mistake which was like 6 months before Big Bang.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Qwiox

Qwiox Mr. Anchor

Dec 20, 2017
    Male
    Los Angeles
    GhenghisKhan
    Hero
    Beaters
    I always assumed that those who played private servers especially near vanilla were the ones that stuck with old maple and quit roughly around Big Bang time. Essentially regular Ms now is a private server on its own, you can hit 200 in like 2 hours lol :pinkbean:

6. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
  7. DrJason

DrJason Windraider

May 30, 2018
    Male
    Canada
    DrJason, Zrar, WhyDaggers
    Islander, F/P Arch Mage
    Oddjobs
    I think they over-balanced actually. If every class is exactly the same, with the exact same skills (every one has flash jump, an ultimate attack, party buffs) making a new character just means you get new skill animations. Also, without fail, each time a new character was added it would be OP for a few months making other classes obsolete, and then nerfed before another OP character was released, and that cycle is probably still continuing.

Post-BB MS did remove leeching though by adding a cooldown to mage's ultimates (although leveling became so much easier that leeching wasn't necessary...), and leeching is my biggest complaint about old-school MS (followed by HP washing to survive undodgable attacks).

• Like Like x 2
  8. Fishy

Fishy Skelegon Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2017
    Male
    Eiji
    Dark Knight
    Beaters
    only 3 people are able to do that lol. not everyone can hti 200 in 2hrs, but yes we all know they level incredibly fast.
    (took me 4hrs to get to lvl 160, semi-funded)

9. Fishy

Fishy Skelegon Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2017
    Male
    Eiji
    Dark Knight
    Beaters
    Bossing is more fun on GMS. Most of the endgames require mechanics and skill.
    yes, the dmg numbers are high, but you still have to move around to not get 1shotted
    ie: Chao vellum/Lucid/Damien/Lotus

10. OP
    OP
    iara

iara Mushmom

Jul 1, 2018
    Female
    2:51 AM
    Iara
    Crossbowman
    I can answer that question, guys!
    1- Bosses actually require SKILL. They are not a mindless "hold down the attack key and soak damage" like Zakum here. Zakum in GMS got its skills revamped and got rid of most unfair attacks. Zakum in GMS will warn several seconds before it uses a 1/1 attack (by glowing, as if it was gonna explode). Before doing a 1/1 tho, it will summon several mobs for you to kill while it explodes. When Zakum is in phase 3 or so, it will start bouncing. An area in the map will be marked as the "safe" area. If you do not go there quickly you will get massive damage, or even KO. Zakum also uses his arms to attack,but those attacks are marked and telegraphed, so you can actually dodge them.
    If we had new Zakum in an old server, things would be so much different.

The boss "Hilla" from Ariant also requires skill elements. Her attacks are telegraphed by her doing a little chant, and a ghost silhouette of a NPC quickly telling you that you need to avoid danger. If you are good at dodging and have quick reflexes, the only attack that might hit you is Hilla's magic attack, or the touch damage of her mobs.

There's also the boss of "Root Abyss" in new Maplestory. They have interesting mechanics that you need to learn. The clown boss changes colors depending on how it's gonna aggro, and it designates colors to the people fighting it too. If you are the same color as Pierre and you attack it, you will heal it instead. People with the same color as Pierre must avoid him and not attack, since Pierre aggros on them too.

Vellum, on GMS Maplestory is a very well designed boss, albeit annoying. The ground glows where it is going to spawn and if you do not avoid him, it will stun you. Vellum also has a OHKO attack where it spits fire, but you can avoid it by facing its back.

Darn even Von Leon got a pretty small remake, and it's still a much better designed boss than Zakum and Horntail here! If you are good, you can very well kill Von Leon and Hilla (I know I did) regardless of your funds and amount of potions. You just simply practice their patterns and dodge them as you attack. It takes longer but it makes a great experience.

2- Pets got revamped. Every pet, by default, has item and meso loot skills. The pet items also got revamped, and pets can go multiplatform. Their speed got severely increased to 180%, and their activation time for "running boots" and "telescope" is automatic now. The pet will still move to get spoils even if you are moving, and even if it has to move far away from you to do so (unless it teleports back to you of course).
    There is also the new "auto-buff" and "auto-cute" features for pets. But those are actually BROKEN. Those do not count as improvements.

3- HP washing is not a thing. Need I saw more.

I think those are the three big improvements GMS did over classic. But, overall, classic MS is a much better game. it's challenging and it actually makes sense for the most part. No such a thing as broken quests, broken locations, broken features... Everything is good.
    I went to a Zakum room and I was disappointed. It's just "hold the attack key, soak up damage and spam pots". There's no skill element needed here. No dodgeable and well telegraphed attacks. Old Maplestory with some new Maplestory elements like "fixed" bosses would be my dream.

EDIT: More boss examples.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 1