1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Washing-is-doable-Journal

Discussion in 'MapleLegends Journeys' started by Ainz, Apr 23, 2021.

1. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    5:03 AM
    So many I keep forgetting
    Hello folks!

Yes, you've heard it correctly. This journal is here for the sole purpose of proving that washing a ranged attacker as a new player is doable without having to leech 1-150 or being donated hundreds of millions from friends.

Given that this challenge might be somewhat rough, I will be setting some rules beforehand. Given the fact that most of the rules won't apply until at least lvl 120, I would happily discuss whether or not these rules make it a realistic scenario for a new player.
    Current ruleset: (Please feel free to comment about whether or not these are 'fair')
    1. Donations from friends/own characters are not allowed. This covers both raw meso and (int)gear.
    2. Boss carries are allowed. (This does not apply to runs for zhelms, MoN, scar/tar helms, those will have to be bought with meso) I was somewhat on the fence about this rule, but I believe that any new player should be able to find a guild that will help them with carries, and I will allow myself the same luxury unless multiple people consider this excessive/cheating.
    3. Self-leeching is not allowed, but normal leeching is. I don't want to encourage excessive leeching and I don't intend to be 'skipping' a large volume of levels, but I believe that a few levels here and there are feasible for anyone that can farm the meso and it doesn't have to harm gameplay. (I may very well decide partway through the journal that I can/want to do this journey without any leech, seeing how I would like to promote leechless gameplay)
    4. Looting random items found in FM / near gachapon is not allowed. I think I'm shooting myself in the foot here, but I would like this rule to be in place to prevent any indirect/unintentional donations.

I will be using a spreadsheet to plan and document most of my journey, the current setup for this is provided below:
    [​IMG]

Introductions:
    Hi everyone! Meet "AllByMyself"
    [​IMG]

Goals for day 1:
    • Get to level 10 and job advance.

• Great Work Great Work x 12
    • Like Like x 9
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. s0mething

s0mething Capt. Latanica

May 4, 2019
    8:03 PM
    so many journals. Manga, forum journals, manga, forum journals. There's too much to read upload_2021-4-23_14-46-3.jpeg

but I do like the idea behind this journal. You can do it all by yourself!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Skuire

Skuire Nightshadow

Aug 16, 2017
    9:03 PM
    Skucci
    Shadower
    Poggies!
    Journal section when tho???

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. BentPaw

BentPaw Master Chronos

Sep 11, 2020
    Male
    angeloooo
    Night Lord
    Funk
    Nice idea for a journal! I think getting some leech is totally fine. For instance, WS leech at lv75 is too good to pass up, especially for those hard early 3rd job levels when you don't have anything maxed. Especially if you're not allowing any funding from other people/own characters.

• Like Like x 1
  5. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    What would you define as a boss carry?

I.e. are you saying that you will accept free zhelm / mon / htp?

If that's the case I don't really see why you need to accept boss carries. The cost to buy these items via service from a group of runners isn't high at all.

• Like Like x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    Thank you for highlighting the ambiguity, I missed this.

What I mean by boss carries is daily rav/pap etc, purely boss runs for exp. Buying Zhelm and MoN will be done by relying on self-earned meso. (Also clarified this in main post)

7. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    Cool, my journey is similar in alot of ways. Are you starting with 0 vote cash or do you have an account setup in advance?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    Best of luck! Characters have more heart this way. :^)

I did something similar with a no-funds character, managed to get an Outlaw to 117 without any leech before feeling like I was wasting too much time. He's on his way to 120 now after spending some money at skellies(15mil is worth a lot less than 20 hours of my life...). Training a ranged character to 110 or so seems viable, everything after that just becomes a sanity check. He currently sits at 6.3k hp and 120 int.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    I did make the character on an account that previously had ~100k NX laying around, but I will not be using that NX for this character. I'll make sure to keep a tight eye on my NX each entry and guarantee that I'm not spending more NX on this char 'than it deserves'.

10. OP
    OP
    Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    We made it through day 1!
    Admittedly this was the easiest part of a very lengthy journey ahead of us, but we pulled through! Achieving big things is done through small goals!

I'm excruciatingly slow at rushing through Maple Island, but here's how it ended up going today:
    [​IMG]

Getting the job advancement to Bowman was mere minutes away, slowly picking up the pace!
    [​IMG]

And finally, this is what our stats and financial situation are looking like right now:
    [​IMG]

Goals for the next day:
    • Improve my general knowledge of Bowmaster/Marksman gearing so that I can start to fill up my gearing sheet.
    • Plan ahead in terms of which quests would be worth doing for the early levels. I'm emphasizing this more than I would normally do, because I want to start buying int-gear as soon as possible.
    • Plan out my card-route for 10-30. I want to have Tier 1 completed by lvl 30. The slight boost in int/dex/str should make my AP spending a little more manageable.

Edit: I also had to provide my starting NX count. This means that all NX over this number will be reserved for my Marksman, yet I will never go below this number.
    [​IMG]

Edit 2: Topics that I'm still on the fence about:
    • Am I allowed to use another account for owling? If need be, I can provide similar NX numbers to prove that I won't be going beyond what new players would have access to in terms of daily NX.

• Like Like x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  11. Skuire

Skuire Nightshadow

Aug 16, 2017
    Skucci
    Shadower
    Absolutely NO WAY you are getting this without going over 30. If you do manage it, I'll be mad impressed.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    Awesome idea! looking forward to your progression.

I don't see why not, nothing handicaps new players from making other accounts to vote on, they even get encouraged to do so on a daily basis in the Discord.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    12:03 AM
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
  14. OP
    OP
    Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    Day 2: Babysteps

Having sold most of the etcs/pots from Maple Island, I left off day 1 with the following inventory:
    [​IMG]
    Not a bad start, but we're going to be needing a heck of a lot more meso if we want to start gearing up with int gear early.

The initial approach for today:
    • Get through the quests Athena Pierce so kindly lets us do.
    • Do the random hair quest, hoping to look pretty at the end of it.
    • Get to level 15
    • Sell fame
    • Spend more time figuring out the best ways to turn a profit early, so that int gear can be bought at a low level and have a larger impact.
    The progress:
    The highs:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The lows:

[​IMG]

The resulting situation:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also made some changes to the gearing part of my sheet, thanks to FishyFishy and FerlucioFerlucio for double-checking my lacking BM/MM knowledge OnionLove
    [​IMG]

Future plans:
    • Start card farming. This will probably done at a fairly laid-back pace (snails, blue snails, red snails, slimes, shrooms, stumps, orange mushroom and (ribbon) pigs)
    • Owl for cheap bow 10%/60%s to bump up my lvl 10 bow a little. I'm probably going to stay virtually str-less until 54, so we're gonna need to use this baby until lvl 35, when we can hopefully get our hands on a (crappy) Maple Bow
    • Look for other potentially helpful but cheap items. (Speed shoes?)

Update: Where has my money gone?
    It's time to see if we can upgrade our weapon just slightly, hitting 1-25 does not seem to be the optimal way to go.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] oh my god
    [​IMG]I just basically doubled my w.att.
    [​IMG]New range, who dis?

• Great Work Great Work x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  15. OP
    OP
    Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    Day 2 (Continued)
    Sorry for the double-post, I would usually just add it as an edit to the previous post if there are 2 sessions on the same day, but this was a pretty eventful second session!

There is also a matter which I'd like you guys' opinion on, listed below New Highs. All in all I thought it would be better to have a separate post for this session.

New lows:
    [​IMG]
    Was not expecting to get hit for 300 dmg :(
    [​IMG]
    It was freakin impossible to try to even get a shot in between all the snails, let alone kill mano with hits of 10-50 dmg.
    [​IMG]
    Trying to safespot (Dark) Axe Stumps for 50 Firewood in order to do Thawee Fixing The Roof, ended up spending about 30 minutes there, got 28 firewood and decided to move on to something else temporarily.

New highs:
    [​IMG]
    I'm godawful at JQ's and this had my heart rate up around 200, but we made it! The screws from this quest are a godsent, because they allow you to complete Toon Fixing The Roof for an easy 15k exp.

[​IMG]
    Card hunting went pretty poorly, but we did get a gach!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Very lucky pull. I was thinking about what would happen to this journal if I pulled an item worth >50m, but I decided to exclude the profit from these because I don't believe it sketches a realistic scenario of the progress any new player would go through. As for this pull, at the time of writing this, I owled it for ~2.2m. I consider this a gach pull that falls within the realistic realm of expectations for a new player and I think I will keep the profit from it. However, once again, this is open to discussion. I would gladly continue without relying on a 2m gach pull :)

Where does this leave us?
    [​IMG]
    Completed quests: 67
    Total cards: 14
    Total sets: 1
    Total playtime today: 3 hours and 45 minutes.

• Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Hiyo

Hiyo Headless Horseman Retired Staff

Sep 21, 2016
    Kuwait
    6:03 AM
    Hiyo
    Camper
    Default HAIR and FACE smh, first thing you do after leaving the island is get a make-over, I expect you to look mad cute next post [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  17. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    Use the old NX for being cute. Give the audience eye candy

I demand 160k in exp hair coupons

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. OP
    OP
    Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    Day 3: Very small update

[​IMG]

Didn't really have time to play today, so only a very small update.
    I did like 20 minutes of card farming at Lith Harbor and came up quite lucky:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Then I sold some fame to JafelJafel for funding my way to 200.
    [​IMG]

Then I decided you guys were right. You do deserve something more aesthetic to look at than a failed attempt at the hulk with a receding hairline.
    IMPORTANT: You guys and your thirst for cosmetics cost me 40k out of the 150k I had to spend today, expect significant delays in progress :mad:
    Here's my new look! Not 100% happy with it, but it's better than what it was, just struggled to find a suitable weapon.
    [​IMG]

Future plans:
    • Get through KPQ for the shoes (hopefully with a mage/friend buddy to help carry me through, my damage is still quite limited)
    • Complete as much of the monster book tier 1 as I can, probably after lvl 26-27 so I'll have some damage.
    • Get to 30 so I can complete this quest for a shoe jump 30. The funding from that should hopefully help out with buying some gear, yet I'm not sure whether I should prioritize dex-related gear or instantly focus on ints.

• Like Like x 4
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
  19. Skuire

Skuire Nightshadow

Aug 16, 2017
    Skucci
    Shadower
    Keep the gun!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Jafel

Jafel Capt. Latanica

May 3, 2015
    Male
    KingSlime
    Outlaw
    Twice
    even regular stat archers suck at KPQ lmao, so good luck if you dont have an assassin/mage to assist you.