1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Removing the 'whiting' system

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by joota, Dec 10, 2020.

Thoughts on the 'whiting' system...?

1. Remove it altogether

2. Add a scoreboard for expeditions

3. Keep it

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. joota

joota Mr. Anchor Retired Staff

Jul 13, 2019
    1:20 AM
    Buccaneer
    Freelancer
    Petition to remove the whole 'whiting' system (see footnote for what it is).

Either leave it as ambiguous altogether (everyone whites), or if the community wants to keep a competitive spirit just add a scoreboard for expeditions instead.

The 'whiting' system is a really poor way for people to be competitive because it's contingent on your whole party dealing the most damage anyways.

Scoreboard Design options
    From what I can tell, all the major expeditions have an 'invisible' mob that keeps track of damage done, so the scoreboard can just give damage count during the 5min that groups are allowed to stay in the boss map after killing the boss.
    If scoreboards are what the community wants, here are some designs based on a quick google search:

upload_2020-12-10_13-5-43.png
    Ariant Coliseum Challenge (idk which version this is from, but looks similar to v62)

[​IMG]
    Guild ranking system design (v62)

[​IMG]
    Pyramid Party Quest (from laaaater on)

Note: For those who don't know what the 'whiting 'system is... when killing a monster, the game keeps track of which party does the most damage to the monster, and whoever does the most damage to the monster within that party gets an experience log that is in white font when it dies:
    upload_2020-12-10_11-52-50.png
    If you don't 'white' the monster, this experience shows up in a yellow font.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Cascades

Cascades Slime

Jul 2, 2020
    Male
    Cascades, Crater
    Hero
    Homies
    What's the reasoning for removing it? You've only mentioned alternatives but not a reason (outside of it being "competitive").

Is this something that actually bothers people? It seems like it'd be a huge time sink when there are a lot better uses of Staff time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    10:20 AM
    Moderator Post
    How does a scoreboard make it less competitive? This is kind of a feature that is in every server since the beginning of time, and out of all the petty things I hear complaints about... I can't think of anyone that ever complained about this

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    2:20 AM
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    Full leaderboard would be great, but @dpm for the most part gives us all the information we need. In fact the @dpm command already has an incredible influence on the game. The viability of classes, balance implementations, and the progression of damage optimization at relevant endgame bosses all rely heavily on being able to accurately measure ones dpm over extended periods of time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. aaronis

aaronis Slimy

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Shadower
    Beaters
    being unable to say "easy white" whenever a head dies would decrease the enjoyment of playing NL by at least 50%

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    joota

Jul 13, 2019
    Buccaneer
    Freelancer
    It doesn't make it less competitive. The whiting system can be toxic but in a not-always-accurate way. E.g. if you're in Pink Bean with 5 full parties and you white the main body, you can be toxic about it and declare you whited, but it really means on average your party did the most damage and you do the most among them. It DOES NOT mean you did the most damage to Pink Bean.

For the most part yes, but dpm checks are flawed in many ways because for it to be a standard measure, every group needs to know how long it will take for that group to get to the same point as another group. This is because for bosses like HT your dpm will change based on how many body parts are up.

The point is, if you're gonna be toxic about how much damage you do, at least do it in a standardized/well informed way.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  7. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    10:20 AM
    Moderator Post
    But isn't that on the user though, or more importantly the party you've created? With that reasoning than the GPQ leaderboards should be removed too because the guild on the top can laugh and be toxic about all the other guilds being at the bottom

Competitiveness exists in every game, and I think teasing to minorly taunting related to someone's DPS is really not a major issue.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. OP
    OP
    joota

Jul 13, 2019
    Buccaneer
    Freelancer
    My vote is for adding a scoreboard for expeditions, so I'm for the GPQ leaderboards. But I'm just not for the current 'whiting' system.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. Fluggo3

Fluggo3 Slime

Sep 11, 2020
    Male
    Montreal
    4:20 AM
    Roost
    I/L Wizard
    Community
    Whiting doesn't seem all that competitive to me. Most people talk about it more jokingly than anything else. Like "Oh I whited, pog" and then someone says "Ayyy first time for everything." lmao. There's no sense of competition at all, it's just people working together to finish something. Someone's always going to be the strongest in the group.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. Flyinpanda

Flyinpanda Brown Teddy

Mar 17, 2020
    Male
    Ask me in game
    Flyinpandas | Lazypanda
    Shadower
    Konoha
    I personally do not really see a reason why removing this would be beneficial. This is because the people I had bossed with usually are not toxic and trying to flex that they whited a boss/appendage. Instead they would just be like oh cool and continue on.

I mean honestly a solution (which is not viable for bosses like Pink Bean) would just not inviting the toxic people in your life because u don't need that. But otherwise I mean at least you can mute them if you're on vc I guess.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  11. Mirrors

Mirrors Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    Mirrors
    WeenieHutJrs
    The main issue that joota brings up is:

From my personal experience, most people who talk about whiting is usually as a friendly competition within a party and I personally haven't seen any toxicity around "whiting" exp numbers (although I am not saying it doesn't exist). I am 100% all for adding expedition leaderboards, but I know if adding them will fix the issue you brought up regarding toxicity since they are fundamentally different: leaderboards are more for the 'my expedition vs other expeditions' while whiting is 'you vs the rest of your party'.

Can you elaborate a bit more on how people are being "toxic about whiting" / why you're "not for the current 'whiting' system"? I think that would be really helpful. If it's because people are comparing damage, I don't know if removing the whiting exp system will help that much... People will always be competitive about damage, and even if we remove it there will be a "DPM60 Pink bean Flex Thread" up eventually lol.

Somewhat unrelated: Seeing "whited" exp is actually also helpful sometimes! For example, last Halloween event, you could only pick up event pumpkins if you "whited" the mob, which was helpful when pumpkin farming. ^^

• Agree Agree x 6
  12. JDPJHC

JDPJHC Mixed Golem

Aug 6, 2017
    JDPJHC
    Hero
    Summer
    omg i thought cakesogood was back for a second

13. Vowels

Vowels Mr. Anchor

Jan 23, 2019
    5:20 AM
    untrue
    Bishop
    Pasta
    TL;DR whiting exists in the game but it's not accurate. You are just asking for it to be improved or removed

If this feature exists to give some recognition to the best DPS sure it should go to the #1 damage player in the whole expedition instead of how it currently works which is party based

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  14. OP
    OP
    joota

Jul 13, 2019
    Buccaneer
    Freelancer
    Vowels summarized what I was trying to convey exactly. I wasn't even talking about removing competitiveness from the game. I like the competitive aspect of the game at bosses and I fully believe it doesn't mean you're toxic by default. I'm just saying I believe the way competitiveness is represented in the game should take into account all attackers that attack the boss and not just your party.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Mirrors

Mirrors Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    Mirrors
    WeenieHutJrs
    This makes a lot more sense, thank you! :D TBH, I didn't even know that whiting worked like that. I just assumed that if you whited it means you did the most dmg in the whole expedition, and not just within your party. I'll have to look into it more.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  16. OP
    OP
    joota

Jul 13, 2019
    Buccaneer
    Freelancer
    And most of these games have scoreboards/leaderboards. It'd be great to have that as a feature in ML instead of the weird half-baked scoreboard in the form of the 'whiting' system, which 70% of the time I don't even see because I'm too busy getting barrel bugged.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    This thread has shown the need for pvp content to show who has the biggest e-peen of all, and the solution was actually in OP's first post:

A R I A N T C O L O S S E U M
    (And give palm tree chair too)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    5:20 PM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    So I mulled over this suggestion for a bit, and here's a big concern that everyone should be aware of I think. The goal proposed by OC is:
    1. Accuracy. Make "whiting" more accurate, because right now it checks for (1) which party dealt the most damage, (2) who dealt the most damage in the party.
    2. Reduce "toxicity". By having a binary system of "who whited" and "who didn't" with no explanation of just how close the numbers were lead to so-called "competitiveness" and "toxicity"
    BUT, these two are actually really closely linked to each other. Making things more accurate (eg. through a leaderboard) can indirectly promote toxicity.

Right now, we have one person that "whites" and everyone else that didn't white. The people that didn't "white" all get lumped together into one group because no one knows for sure who did more amongst them. And sure the ONE person that whited can taunt or be borderline toxic at times (but really depends on who you're running with), but it's not accurate.

Now, imagine we have a DPS ranking.
    1. Kimmy with 20 mil DPM
    2. Mirrors with 18 mil DPM
    3. Joota with 14 mil DPM
    4. Nise with 10 mil DPM
    By making things more accurate, you know for 100% certainty who is actually whiting. Now what's to stop that person from still being toxic to the rest of the players? Nothing really. Now for those not capable of "whiting" (aka new players, undergeared players, weaker damage classes), you have to now worry about what ranking you get on the leaderboard. And god forbid if you end up being consistently last in the leaderboards... What's to stop them from being singled out or thrown out of the run for being the "weakest link"?

A flash of text on the bottom right side of the corner is something you can ignore and/or forget about. Having a leaderboard pop up at the very end of the run is far more permanent and in your face. It's the detailed accuracy that can BREED toxicity if you think about it.

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  19. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    A full scoreboard seems like a good way to gatekeep newer players from bossing.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Stow

Stow Mixed Golem

Apr 30, 2017
    4:20 PM
    Dazzle
    Magician
    Imagine a corsair being lower dps than a bucc