1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Buffing Mage Single Target DPM

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gurk, Dec 11, 2022.

1. Gurk

Gurk Nightshadow

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    11:14 PM
    Gxrk
    Hero, Bishop, Marksman, Shadower, Buccaneer, Corsair
    We're often accustomed to the idea that the farming and leech prowess of mages holds them back from ever receiving a buff in the single target damage department and that mages getting any sort of buffs would give rise to fervid outrage and trigger calls for the heads of balance team members on a plate.

But setting aside for the moment the grievances of melee classes that may feel neglected and perhaps outraged that a buff would be pushed for mages before the delicate issues of cleavers have been fully ironed out, which I hold are only objections with regards to the matter of prioritization and not to the fundamental proposal at hand and thus distractions, I ask if there is truly anything problematic with the idea of mages getting a bump in single target damage whilst still remaining dead last in the DPM rankings?

As long as mages continue to do the least amount of damage, the give-and-take whereby mages concede single target damage in exchange for the ability to nuke maps holds in place. The question to answer then is to what degree of competency is it acceptable for mages to perform in the single target arena while keeping all of their current benefits? At present, if we examine the end game damage output of melee classes and mages, we will see that the melees generally do between 9-10m dummy while an AM and bishop with similar funding will do about 7m and 4.5m dummy (including summon damage), respectively.

5499c6ec2de6693133c646532fd1e9fa.png
    (credits to Nightz for the above numbers)
    That is to say, an AM currently does roughly 70% of the damage of a melee attacker and a bishop does roughly 45% of the damage of one, with the nuance that these numbers only drop further as we get into more crazy things like perfect gloves, high att capes, timeless weapons and stompers as mage scaling is notoriously terrible. And so I put forth this next question: how much further up, if there is room at all, can AM and bishop go in relation to the cleaver damage reference point outlined above without other attackers feeling uncomfortable and without AM feeling marginalized by bishop?

My personal thoughts are that AMs could carve out a home in the 80% region, with bishop being boosted to 60-65%. That is to say, I think that the single target damage of AMs and bishops could be boosted by approximately 10-15% and 35-45%, respectively. In a vacuum, cleavers would be about 25% stronger than AMs (compared to the ~43% that they are now) and AMs would be about 25% stronger than bishops (compared to the ~55% that they are now). I feel that a 25% lead by cleavers is already enough of one to still justify the dominance that mages have in farming. For an additional reference point, this 25% figure is also how much stronger ranged attackers roughly are than melee attackers (top NLs do 13+).

For perhaps some additional context that might help readers figure out where I'm coming from (I promise I haven't been sent by the mage lobby), I confess that this thread originally started only with the simple idea of buffing bishop single target as an attempt to pick away at their chronic mule status and make them more appreciated as attackers. And really, what person can honestly claim to be against their party's bishop having more of an active role and contributing more damage to the run? It's rather telling when you think about how a single melee character, even a shad, outputs more dpm than two bishops combined. It is no wonder then that the natural move for people is to simply mule them to optimize exp and splits and significantly speed up runs. In a game where it is everyone's role to deal damage, unlike other MMORPGs where there are more carefully crafted roles of healers and tanks, doing less than half the damage of the next weakest class is a ̶d̶e̶a̶t̶h̶ mule sentence. Given their overwhelming deficit as attackers, mages are more often thought of not as a real class but as a tool and it shows in the way that they are usually employed and by the demographic that primarily makes use of them. Few users of mages actually main them and use them in bossing, as can be felt by anyone who has ever tried to recruit bishops.

So that's the place where I'm coming at it from. Now, I think only buffing bishop damage would be rather cruel to those who actually main AMs as it would mean AMs would only have in the ballpark of a 10% lead over bishops despite the former giving up all support capabilities and having to expend significantly more in pot costs for the sole purpose of dealing more damage. Thus I relate the subject of buffing mage single target damage to not just bishops but to AMs as well, and as someone who has both a shad and a bucc I am not at all set in trepidation over the prospect of mages becoming stronger as they will still be significantly weaker and generally remain lower tier picks. Buffing AMs would of course also make them more viable attackers at the early to mid game, especially where inted attackers are concerned, and additionally help to further the bossing niche for ILs in NT where they currently can output decent damage but are otherwise generally still subpar.

Now I imagine most of the controversy over the idea of buffing mages would stem from PB as AMs already excel at body there and even bishops can put up comparable numbers to melee attackers (though I would say that there is nothing wrong with bishops putting up bigger numbers there). To that I would say that AMs are already by far the best class for specifically the body portion of the fight there, which is to say that a ~10% or so buff would not further enable their muling as all those who would want to mule AMs in PB are already doing so (which is very few). Furthermore, there are already logistical issues relating to their muling in sub-20 man runs which explain why optimal runs are not just replacing attackers left and right with mage mules on body, and actual AM mains would still be far from optimal as their lackluster performance during statues would outweigh their benefit during body, even before considering that the statue phase is now generally significantly more important than the latter now. If that answer isn't satisfactory, then I would propose that the bulk of whatever boost would be given to AMs would be via their summons, as that additional damage would be halved by PB body so as to mitigate their gain, if deemed necessary.

So I guess what I'm trying to do here is get a pulse check on how the community at large feels regarding the state of mages and whether there is further room for them to be involved with bossing without delving into a discussion of ult or leech nerfs. Let me know your thoughts on giving mages a single target damage buff and to what extent for each would be permissible, if any at all.

• Agree Agree x 15
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    1:14 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    i think current mage numbers are just fine - given the ease to level you can potentially spam mages and make all other classes redundant

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    If you are going to buff the archmage / bishop single target DPM, they should also be affected by PB damage reduction and do 50% less damage like everyone else.

The mages have already had their single target buffed considerably, and they were considered to be good classes even before that buff due to their farming capability.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. OP
    OP
    Gurk

Gurk Nightshadow

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    Gxrk
    Hero, Bishop, Marksman, Shadower, Buccaneer, Corsair
    I did consider that idea and am not against it, though it would render AMs relatively useless in PB (for better or worse) and partly hurt the point that was trying to be made about bishops, although perhaps an active bishop already offers enough benefit there and their gains everywhere else would make up for it. In any case, it would certainly make the idea easier to sell.

Whether they've been buffed significantly already or not is rather besides the point (so have shads and DKs), and them being considered good classes solely because of their farming capability is exactly the kind of lens through which the mage class is viewed that I was talking about, which is to say they are tools for others to use and nothing more. A single target damage buff offers nothing for those that use them for nothing but a means to an end so I personally see no harm in buffing it more as long as they remain significantly weaker than other classes.

Redundant in a bossing sense?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    2:14 PM
    How about making SE work on mages similarly to attackers i.e. +140% instead of +40%? This part never made sense to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    2:14 AM
    Zorele
    Cleric
    I agree with the idea. I believe improving class viability in content is a huge win for the game. A lot of folks would love to main a mage as a valid attackers and i think it's incorrect to have a complete class archetype blocked from being good at attacking (some folks just like mages in mmos) .

As strong as mages already are in the farming department i don't think it justifies them from being completely irrelevant in most of the remaining content since this is a permanent sentence to mages being strictly mules and a stepping stone to an actual attacker. The benefits to this proposed change definitely outweighs the cons. Players who enjoy mages will be good enough to participate in content and perhaps excel in niche scenarios besides farming.

Who's going to complain about there being more bishop mains around who are attracted by the idea of being a support with relevant damage. I believe changes that promote class inclusiveness are alright. Don't forget there will still be a 50% damage gap between ranged and mages and 25% between melee and mages meaning they would NOT overtake attackers and will simply present themselves as an option for players who are truly mage enjoyers and care for certain degree of effectiveness.

I would also like to include that due to HP equalization (Hp challenging giving everyone the required hp for content) we should evolve our mindset from ranged vs melee vs mages (obviously mages should be weaker due to their other benefits)

By this i mean the game balance shouldn't rely on class hp as the cornerstone for validating a class anymore since between HP washing and challenge either players washed beyond the point where class matters or they have been equalized. The balance should truly and exclusively be based on the damage and utility. For example how can you justify heroes, darks and shadowers? Compare them to say buccaneers. They provide SI which is a significant damage boost to certain classes and have Tl which is single handedly the most OP utility buff while doing higher damage than those classes not to mention their pinning superiority. Even archers could be in theory problematic having very high single target while providing SE which is a massive damage boost. (I'm just offering perspective, not claiming they should be nerfed)

There's no real balance here when the aforementioned classes are cleavers but there's no real cleave content and even if HT meta shifted into cleaving it's still not enough to justify playing one of those classes from an objective standpoint (You could argue aufheben but currently it's not a boss you'd have to run long term since helmet is the only reward)

Part of my point is that letting mages do relevant damage is less of a problem than the balance issue at hand with melee vs ranged. Perhaps one day we will have a world where melee vs ranged vs mages isn't the topic and it's more about the damage and utility a class can bring, there shouldn't be a problem inherently with darks doing similar theoretical damage than NLs due to the challenges the class present and their lower damage uptime, or shadowers beating NL single target in a boss where weapon cancels and DRs are frequent due to their charging nate mechanic.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. UnknownCode

UnknownCode Nightshadow

Jun 6, 2021
    California
    Islander, Bishop, Bandit
    Speenies
    I'm sort of TL;DR over here, If this also adds into consideration towards lower level mage jobs, Magician, I/L, F/P, Cleric of course their 3rd job parts as well then I don't see a problem as to why not buff them, but if this is focusing on 4th job only then I wouldn't agree to it. Spread the love to all parts not one.

• Creative Creative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    3:14 AM
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
  9. bienfu

bienfu Pac Pinky

Aug 14, 2022
    Male
    secondpink
    Beginner
    Just wanted to add a point that when mage are viable enough to join bosses, they will ask for their own version of stance, especially in horntail.

Without it its still annoying asf to boss without it.

It also wouldn't be a bad idea to nerf blizzard/meteor even more at the same time.

As for farming vs bossing, there's only so many hours the average player is willing to invest in MapleLegends per day.

Alternatively to make mages more inclusionary without buffing ST damage, just add features to bosses where its almost necessary to have an FMA (like HT summoning 10+ wyverns) or PB summoning (12+ mini beans)

10. Oradious

Oradious Mr. Anchor

Aug 28, 2018
    Male
    2:14 PM
    Oradious
    F/P Arch Mage, Gunslinger, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    Here we go again. Threads asking for single target AM buff pops up every once in awhile, and it is evident that people partaking in the discussion or making the thread have absolutely no idea what they are talking about, because they simply do not play the class and regurgitate the same argument with the same spreadsheet.

Staff have already obliged with multiple single target buffs (back during SI nerf, elemental changes) and I personally think that mages are in a fine spot where they are now. They have a certain niche in several NT bosses and even without elemental weaknesses, serve as a great pinner when other conventional classes aren't available. I also believe that it is required that each PB run should have at least 1 AM to clear the minibeans during both statue and PB. I'm sure I don't need to tell you the QoL of someone dedicated to clearing minibeans and how much smoother/faster the run can go.

AMs themselves are already glorious farmers. Anymore single target buffs to it will only churn out more dollar-store AMs in the low-level leech factory, as previously seen when people would use their whack AMs to multimage farm and mule it in PB body at the same time. If you want to see 10mil statue/4mil body or 8.5mil DPM45 in HT, then AM clearly isn't the class for you.

Go make a NL.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    My question is do you think these things you mention are a good enough reason to main AMs? Or do you agree with the notion that they are just a means to an end. I think what this discussion is trying to pursue is the possibility to include mage as valid mains. If your main concern is PB isn't it valid to add a % magic reduction to PB say 25% to keep the performance in PB similar?

The idea being presented is to provide certain degree of viability as mains and not almost exclusively as a class to build another. While I completely agree that their mobbing prowess proves problematic in a balancing sense I don't think mages have to be eternally doomed to just be that, farmers. Even though the game has historically been this way, it doesn't mean it has to be. The game evolves, something that would has never even been considered 4 years ago (HP challenge) is happening. The whole mage into attacker philosophy is already being challenged (while it's true that having a mage still has multiple benefits). Some players genuinely enjoy mages but also enjoy being viable in bossing and would appreciate better odds at content participation. What is being suggested here doesn't overtake any physical attackers it merely shortens the gap and with the scaling difference present in attack vs magic, physical attackers would always hold that advantage. From a design standpoint, holding any class hostage from content participation due to their inefficiency is an issue that I believe should at least be considered.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Skumbag

Skumbag Slime

May 1, 2021
    Male
    I think this could be viable if there were some changes to paralyze, chain lightning, and angel ray formulas to incentivize actually gearing a mage. I don’t think it would be fun to see barebone farming mages become good bossing mules… However, if someone wants to main a mage and is willing to spend lots of mesos to fund the char, it would be nice if it paid off.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    This is very unlikely to become a problem. With the said change, even a very well geared mage is in the minimum end of what would be considered perhaps acceptable. Plus it's not like people who have farming mages have any benefit in participating in bossing instead of farming. This would merely promote actual mage mains to have some viability.

14. GooBeR

GooBeR Master Chronos

Aug 29, 2021
    Even if you did buff Angel Ray you wouldn't feel it improving anything. The damage is so poor people would rather you heal and save them pots than any damage you could contribute with AR. The only thing I see buffing AR helping with is making boss card hunting a smidge less horrible as a bishop.

15. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    you can reasonably control 2+ poverty mages with macro which'll eventually make it a cheaper/faster option than gearing a normal attacker

16. Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    Even cheap int gear is somewhat expensive. Making 2 poverty mages (assuming some int gear) would still cost a decent amount of meso and chances are you can fund an attacker to functional levels with a similar amount. By that logic why would anyone spend any amount of meso beyond the cost efficient breakpoint on items? Most players eventually make upgrades that aren't at all cost efficient (aka paying 500 coins for 1 dex) instead of making a new attacker with that amount of meso. Most players aren't looking to play the game this way and for those who are mages shouldn't make any difference in this conversation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Thats true, most players are not - but the players who do are the ones that staff will always balance around. Just take a look at the 5 attack limit for mage ultimates, meso loot changes, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    My main point still stands, i don't think making 2 mage attackers would be better than 2 physical attackers. Lets remember that low end att gear is very cheap, while low end int gear still holds a bit more value. Multimage attacking would only be as much of a problem as multi physical attacker is my point.

19. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    the cost efficient breakpoint is different for each player and the reason why people go beyond is some items don't reach the market for months, maybe years. if you have to estimate the rate of return, (let's say att/meso) it should decrease with progression but if something doesn't appear in market for months and assuming you'll be playing in a years' time, you will be willing to reach for ever lower rates. currently the meta is already making multiple attackers that share the same tradable gears to get around daily/weekly limits for bossing.

at the end of the day such gameplay should never be incentivized. the endgame community thinks in terms of the balancing problem as "how do i abuse the hell out of this" and you can be assured 20 endgame players can do more damage to the game than 200 normal players

20. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    training/leeching/washing regular attackers is still very expensive compared to mages. just wait for challenges system and hp becomes less of a barrier