1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Information September 2023 Balance Changes [Explained]

Discussion in 'Update Notes' started by Nise, Sep 11, 2023.

1. Edann

Edann Slimy Retired Staff

Oct 24, 2020
    6:27 AM
    Edann
    I/L Arch Mage
    Pasta
    Don't take me wrong I'm thankful this is fixed, but with how almost common-knowledge this nerf was precieved within the community I'm shocked this is only fixed now as a "by-the-way", and I want this to be an example for staff to improve on their transparency and handling of player feedback.

Here's just 2 examples (thanks blen) of people bringing it up as early as 2020 - I've personally brought it up with staff before myself.

https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/drop-rates-for-mages-bishops.28439/#post-202057

https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/hidden-mage-droprate-nerf.30051/

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Esmo

Esmo Pac Pinky

Nov 8, 2019
    Male
    Esmo
    Beginner
    UpperLeveL
    alchemist is completely useless now
    shadow star nerf from 180 seconds back to 120
    star costs
    reverted crit damage and chance to the original lame %
    the mtk damage change was only a buff to rich players who already had mtks
    so yea nerf for the casual

next coming up shifter 20seconds cooldown and triple throw nerf because why not? keep the train running

Not expecting from the staff team to understand they don’t main NL but the “budget classes”

Last edited: Sep 13, 2023
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    10:27 PM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    NT weapons were a buff to NL
    Ele pierces were a buff to NL
    Timeless weapons were a buff to NL
    FS were a buff to NL

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. Esmo

Esmo Pac Pinky

Nov 8, 2019
    Male
    Esmo
    Beginner
    UpperLeveL
    End game weapons where the casual player will never get? people have life I don’t wanna be stuck to my computer chair

5. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    8:27 PM
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    I don't have a life or endgame weapons. I'm just here to shitpost on the forums.

• Creative Creative x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta

so just stick to steelies or something

• Creative Creative x 1
  7. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    11:27 PM
    iPippy
    If the NLs don't want 200% alchemist healing, give it to DKs. I'm sure they'd appreciate it more.

• Great Work Great Work x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. CaptainNemo

CaptainNemo Selkie Jr.

Oct 3, 2017
    Male
    CaptainNemo
    Islander
    Ossyrians
    I'd gladly take it on Ranger in exchange for Thrust. OnionSpark

9. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    Bro give it to Archmages! I'd LOVE that skill LOL.

10. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    5:27 AM
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    Bandits would gladly trade your nerfed alchemist for chakra ty.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Miney

Miney Slime

Jun 2, 2021
    1:27 PM
    Miney
    Corsair
    We absolutely need this. Make a tier-based metric like how pouches' droprates are, and it should be clear where to find the info.

I don't want to be guessing what skills does what, what to use and what not to when there's no apparent information to refer to.

People definitely shouldn't need to dig into some random balance note to find important info like summons have reduced droprates, or from common gossip that mage ults have reduced droprates (and even this was misleading gossip - mages as a whole had reduced droprates)

-----‐------

That aside - I strongly disagree with the nerf on Corsair's Aerial Strike. It's a 5 second CD, 6 target skill. Its probable only reason being classified as an ultimate is its wide range. If someone could make 4 sairs and multiclient farm, what's the difference to them to make 4 of anything and multifarm with their 4-to-6 target, no cooldown skills in smaller maps where positioning isn't a concern?

I know Aerial Strike is classified as a "slight" nerf. But I don't agree or see the justification for it to need a nerf at all, lest all classes' multi target skills would need a "slight" nerf as well.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    much of the farming nerfs were really the result of like 2, maybe 3 players. it’s definitely justified, however this just the result of lazy balancing as they refuse to target the underlying system.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. Miney

Miney Slime

Jun 2, 2021
    1:27 PM
    Miney
    Corsair
    We probably have some of those players moving to multi-shad grinding now. Ok, nerf Shadowers. Then they move onto, say, multi-poison mist farming setups with its now increased dropate. Nerf F/P. Oh, now they're doing multi-Heaven's Hammer setups. Nerf Paladin.

14. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta

ur welcome

• Great Work Great Work x 4
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    5:27 AM
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    Well it's not always nerfs, buccs got their avoid increased after dexbuccs so I'm hopeful for the other jobs.

16. brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    11:27 AM
    The only logicial extension from this is that dark knight should have avoid increased after roar mule nerf.

17. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    DK actually has quite good avoid after 4th job

• Creative Creative x 1
  18. brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    Will be an unnecessary buff, similar to how it was given to buccs too then.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. kiwiz

kiwiz Skelegon

May 7, 2018
    I don't know what "less efficient" means. Anything below 100% is less efficient. I don't play DK, but I’d imagine a regular DK as little Timmy with a 12-color crayon box, coloring whatever appropriately. Then there's another kid who bought 4 boxes and decided to use only the purple crayons, coloring everything purple. The teacher didn't like purple cows, so she confiscated everyone's purple crayons and told Timmy, "Hey, you can still use red and blue crayons to make purple."

Another way to put it is that if a unit has 100% efficiency, and having four of them could be 250% due to diminished returns from factors such as needing to control more of them or other constraints, the unit's efficiency would have a range of 100-250%. Instead of balancing only the upper limit to, say, 100-125%, it's like reducing a single unit to 50%, causing it to naturally scale to 50-125%.

My main point is that rates should be measured with respect to something quantifiable, a numerical value that has mathematical significance. Secondly, it doesn't feel good for Timmy to have his crayon taken away when he was just using it normally, as opposed to limiting the number of crayon boxes the other kid has. Unfortunately, this situation is quite relatable to real life, and there isn't much we can do about it.

It's fine if the exact computations aren't revealed, but having meaningful numbers rather than vague words with arbitrary values would be helpful. For example, if Skill A is at 100%, what would Skill B be at? There should be a way to estimate these numbers from the computations in the code, even if it's situation-based, and provide a breakdown for transparency.

I mentioned that I don't mind it, but it's essentially stating that I'm not opposed to multi-clienting or leeching, and I understand that I won't receive the same advantages by abstaining from participating. However, when an issue is caused by these practices, the aspects that don't involve multi-clienting or leeching should remain unaffected.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Great Work Great Work x 3
  20. Sloppy

Sloppy Horny Mushroom

Apr 15, 2018
    Male
    11:27 PM
    White Knight
    The fact that Aerial strike had its drop rate nerfed as well shows that the main cause of these nerfs is multi-farming, something that IMO shouldn't even be able to be a thing. Nerfing skills due to people running 4+ of those characters at once hurts casual/new people the most, and is a poor choice of a "fix".

3rd Job DK and it definitely negatively impacts non funded and casual players. I want my purple crayons back, they taste the best. Skills shouldn't be changed based off of people taking advantage of dynamics that are allowed to be done. In one of the other threads people are literally talking about running 6+ mages at once for farming. Might as well just allow botting at that point Imo.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1