1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

A proposal of making an EV estimation tool for scrolled gears

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by T2Smile, Dec 10, 2023.

1. T2Smile

T2Smile Pink Teddy

Sep 24, 2023
    5:01 AM
    Hi,

After some thinking, I decide to publish what I'm working on to see if I can recuit/attract people who's capable solving this with me, to create the tool together.

--------------------------------------------------

Abstract

I am calculating the expected consumption of in-game currency (meso) for the gear scrolling system. The current rules for the gear scrolling system are as follows: a certain gear has a maximum of x enhancement slots, with an initial price of X meso. The initial gear is considered as +0 with x remaining slots, indicating zero successful enhancements and x remaining slots. Each time gear is scrolled, there are several scrolling options:

1. Use a 10% scroll, each scroll valued at A meso. Each time a 10% scroll is used, there is a 10% chance of successful scrolling, changing the gear from +n to +n+1, and a 90% chance of consuming one slot.
    2. Use a 30% scroll, each valued at B meso. Each time a 30% scroll is used, there is a 30% chance of +1, a 35% chance of no effect consuming a slot, and a 35% chance of the gear being destroyed.
    3. Use a CSS (Clean Slate Scroll) with a 20% success rate, each valued at C meso. Each time, there is a 20% chance of restoring a failed slot, a 40% chance of no effect without reducing the slot, and a 40% chance of destruction.
    4. Use a 10% Scroll + ws, each valued at D meso. Each time there is a 10% chance of +1, a 90% chance of unsuccessful enhancement without reducing the slot.
    5. Use a 30% Scroll +ws, each valued at E meso. Each time there is a 30% chance of +1, a 35% nothing happen, and a 35% chance of destruction.

I want to solve this typical Markov chain problem. First, list out every possible state of each gear, including +0 remaining 0 slots, remaining 1 slot, remaining 2 slots... remaining x slots, +1 remaining 0 slots, remaining 1 slot, remaining 2 slots... remaining x-1 slots, and so on. The above five methods of scrolling will cause the gear to transition between different states. I hope to propose a model to simulate and estimate the theoretical value of the gear in each state, allowing for a comparison of the optimal scrolling solution for each state.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2023
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  2. OP
    OP
    T2Smile

T2Smile Pink Teddy

Sep 24, 2023
    While the ultimate simulation on the way, I made a side tool.

Here is my crappy calculator for estimate between 10%/30%/10%+ws%, and find out the best strategy of making the destination gear.
    The second sheet in this spreadsheet is adapting from the thread how to make a perfect weapon. The original work compares only 30%+css20, 30%+ws, 10%+ws. I add 10% and 30% into comparison.

I personally do not quite agree compare all 5 scrolling strategies together, bacause, 10% and 30% has a chance generating byproduct, which should cause the EV cost drop (depending on the specific byproduct market value). So in most cases, 30% better than 30%+CSS20%

3. kiwiz

kiwiz Skelegon

May 7, 2018
    12:01 PM
    I personally have been exploring scrolling strategies for a period of time, and here are some that I have shared.

Possible Scroll Resolve Logic:
    https://forum.maplelegends.com/inde...pewpews-birb-bombard.51133/page-5#post-350352

Number Partitions Strategy:
    https://forum.maplelegends.com/inde...pewpews-birb-bombard.51133/page-5#post-350357

I've also experienced great success previously with certain scrolling methods, aiming to profit by taking advantage of market inefficiency during that time.

Reverse Scrolling:
    https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/the-art-of-scrolling-beating-the-odds.48006/

I also demonstrated a similar scrolling strategy throughout one of my journals with great success.

Rags to Riches:
    https://forum.maplelegends.com/inde...legends-fm-challenge.50082/page-2#post-339645

21 TMA Earrings:
    https://forum.maplelegends.com/inde...legends-fm-challenge.50082/page-3#post-340934

22 TMA Earrings:
    https://forum.maplelegends.com/inde...legends-fm-challenge.50082/page-4#post-341591

I recall having some calculations somewhere personally showing that CSS3 has the best success to destroy rate among CSS1, CSS3, and CSS20 using limits. However, I'm lying in bed right now, preparing to sleep, so I’m not gona look for it.

When we're trying to scroll perfect equipment, usually, we wouldn't consider the byproducts because we would go all-in with CSS to have the best chance at the final product rather than thinking about the failures generating byproducts.

I also created a scrolling analyzer some time ago, providing an overview of production cost over the slots and survival rate with dark scrolls. This does not consider byproducts because their value doesn't align with the cost of the materials used, making it impossible to compute the actual cost generically.

https://forum.maplelegends.com/inde...web-apps-that-never-became.50925/#post-346044

I toyed with the idea of generating all possible scrolling paths, where each path could self-define the value to compute the overall expected cost. However, given the current state of the market, it doesn't encourage me to continue investing my time, so I didn't go further. Right now, it's just safer to grind and farm meso and coins to purchase the scrolled item you want that will hopefully appear in the market one day, rather than scrolling them yourself. My personal guideline is that any item requiring you to pass more than 2x30% and then pass all other slots as well is an automatic buy from others if the materials are scarce.

With that being said, best of luck in creating the best calculator!

• Great Work Great Work x 2
  4. OP
    OP
    T2Smile

T2Smile Pink Teddy

Sep 24, 2023
    Very imforative and inspiring, ty for sharing!!

Especially the Scrolling Cost and Probability Analyser, great work indeed.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. kiwiz

kiwiz Skelegon

May 7, 2018
    Hey, it's me again! Here's one exploration I did on CSS, specifically looking at the 3% and 20% variants. To sum it up, when adjusting the rate of CSS3 to CSS20, the overall success to destroy ratio is 20:38.8, slightly better than 20:40. I skipped CSS1 since, realistically, the number of scrolls needed makes it impractical. For faster results, my go-to is usually CSS20, and usually also offers a better cost value compared to CSS3.

Exploring CSS:
    https://forum.maplelegends.com/inde...ting-the-gloves-slot.50742/page-5#post-347176

I also ran simulations using the Java Math.Random function, which I believe is commonly used for rolling computations on most private Maple servers. Whether ML uses the same is unknown to me. One straightforward simulation I conducted aimed to determine, on average, how many scrolls I would need to pass n consecutive times. This is relevant because many attempts at perfect equipment start with trying to achieve +2, +3, +4 with 30% scrolls. The one discussed below is for 3x30%.

Simulated Results Passing 3 Consecutive 30%:
    https://forum.maplelegends.com/inde...he-villager-funded-corsair.51796/#post-355119

I've employed all the shared methods to calculate the anticipated expenditure, considering the attempts and materials required for various items. An instance involves scrolling my own 12 WA Blue Anelin. To achieve 12 WA in 5 slots, two of the passes must be 10%/30%. While the more economical choice is usually to start with a 10% scroll, the limited market supply and my farming capacity make this approach impractical due to the considerable time needed. Hence, I choose a path with a much higher success rate, accepting a higher expected cost, by passing 3x60% first and then 2x30%. Opting for 70% scrolls didn't make sense considering the cost and the fact that only 3 slots needed to be passed.

Scrolling 12 WA Blue Anelin:
    https://forum.maplelegends.com/inde...urney-of-refinements.51546/page-6#post-354989

If the materials needed far exceed what the market can provide, I'd probably choose to purchase already scrolled items, even if the cost is higher than the expected expense. In such cases, the time required for realistic crafting is a significant factor. If something demands a prolonged accumulation time, I'd happily buy it at a higher price and move on to the next goal.

The essence of scrolling lies not only in the cost but also in how easily you can acquire the necessary materials, which contributes to the overall value of an item.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2023
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
  6. OP
    OP
    T2Smile

T2Smile Pink Teddy

Sep 24, 2023
    Hi! I happen to solved the algorithm to calculate this one (spent quite some time). You can find the recursive funciton for calculate it in my calculator.
    upload_2023-12-11_9-50-20.png

The recursive function for a succesful rate x% scroll should be:
    upload_2023-12-11_10-39-46.png

Here is my explanation for how to get the recursive function for each scroll, in case you might be interested.
    Because of my poor English it might be a little bit hard for me to explain the algorithm, I'll give it a try.

Let's start with a simple example:
    How many times on average you need to roll a die, to succeed 2 * "6" in a row? What about n * "6" in a row?
    36 is the most intuitive answer some people might try. But sadly, WRONG.
    36 is the answer for "roll 2 dice at once, how many times you need to roll on avg to succeed a double 6?". But in our case, for roll, if your roll is not 6, you will start immediatly rolling the die for "first 6" to start your "consecutive double 6", instead of roll the other die to get a pair then see if you get "double 6". Or in our scrolling cases, this answer is the "EV for number of gears".

In this special scene, the avg rolling times = the EV for the rolling times ≈ the EV for scrolling times
    Let's mark E(n) = the EV for rolling times to succeed n consecutive number6.
    Then pretty easy that E(1) = 1/(1/6)= 6
    Here comes to the tricky solution to avoid going straight for the universal math expression for E(n), but to find the relationship between E(n) and E(n-1) to get a recursive function.

The relationship between E(n) and E(n-1) is:
    upload_2023-12-11_10-30-49.png

How comes it? Consider what's the take from succeeding (n-1) * "6" to n * "6".
    for upload_2023-12-11_10-31-20.png : You need to roll a more "6", then you have 1/6 chance to pass n consecutive "6". The total rolling times for this case is E(n-1)+1.
    for upload_2023-12-11_10-31-38.png : Same above. If you rolled a non-"6" after (n-1) * "6", you have to roll another E(n) times to reach n * "6" in a row.

Simplify above equition, we get
    upload_2023-12-11_10-33-50.png

Then E(2) = 6 * [ E(1) + 1 ] = 42
    E(n) = 6 * [ E(n-1) + 1 ]

It can be generalized that, for a successful rate x% scroll, if we mark E(n) = on average, how many scrolls I would need to pass n consecutive times.
    upload_2023-12-11_10-43-31.png
    Simplify it we get:
    upload_2023-12-11_10-39-46.png

7. OP
    OP
    T2Smile

T2Smile Pink Teddy

Sep 24, 2023
    And have you ever considered to post a separate thread for Scrolling Cost and Probability Analyser?
    It's great work, but while I searching relavant info myself I never found it, it deserves to be seen by more people.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. kiwiz

kiwiz Skelegon

May 7, 2018
    I haven't read everything yet, but a quick look at your table does suggest that I was heading in the right direction, as the numbers are very close for both the expected amount of scrolls needed for 3x30% and the expected amount of Blue Anelins to attempt. So, thank you very much for the time you've taken to find this formula.

My intention in doing the simulation is to observe the deviations in the process. I've also had a fair share of experience scrolling in ML, and passing 3x30% is definitely a rare occurrence.

Hmm, not really. I thought it's straightforward—just taking the cost of the previous value, adding the scroll cost, then dividing by the chance to get the new cost, and so on. This was also partially in my scrolling guide, so those interested in reading it have likely already done so.

I mainly use these numbers for risk assessment, helping me decide whether to proceed with scrolling myself or purchase pre-scrolled items.

• Like Like x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    T2Smile

T2Smile Pink Teddy

Sep 24, 2023
    Update - my tool inspired by kiwizkiwiz is on the way: my github repostiroy link

My aim changes a lot from OP, this is basicly a calculator works the same as kiwiz's Scrolling Cost and Probability Analyser, but contains options to compare all possible sequences for the same destination stats of gears, and generate the best cost approach.
    Not done yet, will implement step by step.

• Great Work Great Work x 3