1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Make map nerfs more consistent

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by halfwaysleet, Oct 13, 2021.

1. halfwaysleet

halfwaysleet Master Chronos

May 21, 2018
    Male
    10:53 AM
    halfway
    Thief
    In oldschool-GMS, a map's mob spawn increased relative to the number of players training there, however, MapleLegends and most odin based servers have a maxed spawn from the get go so long as there is a single person in a map - Taking this into account I feel like it would be reasonable to nerf high income areas such as Ulu Estate I and II, vikerola, etc, since they can be abused very easily for printing pure meso with meso up mules and multiple mages.

Gobys have already been nerfed twice, and the server has been clear that it will not be re-buffed.
    While that is unfortunate to those whom enjoy grinding there, I find it to be a somewhat reasonable nerf. Even though it is a map that requires far more effort than most 4th job mage maps, it still ends up generating new mesos into the economy, which in turn affects the long term health of the server.
    There are similar maps however that allows players to print even more meso so long as they use multiple characters, these maps are high reward for low effort so long as the player has multiple accounts, which could be seen as an incentive for this behavior.

In short, I believe that not only Gobys should be balanced based on how they were in GMS, but other high income maps as well in order to slow down the pure mesos entering the server, and to reduce the incentive for people to go out of their way to make multiple mages to farm maps that have a high potential for making meso.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
  2. shck

shck Timer Retired Staff

Feb 10, 2020
    Male
    Singapore
    9:53 PM
    Recube
    Buccaneer
    Bloom
    Multi-mage farming methods generating insanely high amount of mesos per hour is created from players trying to test the limits of the game and that's the aftermath of multi-client becoming a thing. And the fact that ambitious players as such exists, is the very reason why re-balancing other or even every high income map doesn't help and will probably never.
    Power creep in the server now is undeniable, the next upgrade for each character comes at a huge cost, which in turn requires them to "print even more mesos".
    "Cut off one head, two more shall take it's place"
    Nerf a good farming map and players will find an alternative similar or better than it. Correct me if I'm wrong but Cornians, Temple of Time maps or Vikerolas didn't come off as good farming maps back in oldschool maple because such farming methods didn't exist or are unheard of back then.
    It's a 2003 game being played in 2021. So is the game broken? Probably, but it's only broken because we broke it. How did we break it exactly? Multi-clienting.

• Like Like x 4
  3. OP
    OP
    halfwaysleet

May 21, 2018
    Male
    halfway
    Thief
    I agree that you can't stop people from multi-clienting, but you can at least reduce the incentive to do so. If there were viable alternatives to making decent meso on a single character without being forced to sell leech and stay within a certain level range, It wouldn't be worth it that much to go out of your way to make a multimage, but nerfing maps that are good for making a large amount of meso on a single character, and not doing the same for maps that allow you to print godly amounts of meso using multiple accounts is an incentive for more people to make multi mages.

4. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    6:53 AM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    I would argue that nerfing maps will actually incentivize the multiclient meta. ML nerfs are actually a big reason the meta looks like what it does right now.

Imagine this, as a single client farmer earning 10m / hr, you are trying to save up for a white scroll that cost 210m. Your multi mage counterpart earns say 30m / hr (or 3x what you make).
    21 hours for single client farmer, 7 hours for the multimage farmer to get a white scroll

Both people get a 20% nerf to their income due to map nerfs, 8m / hr for the single client, and 24m / hr for the multimager.
    26.25 hours for single client farmer, 8.75 hours for the multimage farmer to get a white scroll

This nerf means the single client mage farmer has to farm 5.25 hours longer to get that white scroll, but the multimage farmer only needs to farm 1.75 hrs more. This will incentivize more multi mage farming.

In order to do the reverse, you need to make single client farming more attractive relative to multimage farming.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    halfwaysleet

May 21, 2018
    Male
    halfway
    Thief
    I agree that nerfing certain maps may lead to a higher incentive for players to multimage, I'm simply against the lack of consistency in map nerfs. Ulu 1 for example is a map that has a higher potential for making meso compared to the unnerfed version of Gobys, yet it was untouched.

This inconsistency also leads to fewer maps being overfarmed which in turn affects the economy since it results in a far higher supply of items that are encountered in those specific maps being overfarmed, and other maps not as much.

6. OP
    OP
    halfwaysleet

May 21, 2018
    Male
    halfway
    Thief
    There are maps that are more worthwhile for a single person to farm, and the amount of effort and attention required for some of those maps do not make it worthwhile for a multimager to bring his accounts into separate instances of the map.

Nerfing high pure meso income maps that require less effort, or that are significantly better for more than one person wouldn't necessarily negatively impact people training on a single account. If ULU 1 is viable for 4 mages, nerfing it a bit wouldn't necessarily make it as much less viable for someone grinding on a single mage.

7. Thuglifer

Thuglifer Capt. Latanica

Sep 1, 2021
    Male
    Beginner
    i believe the future coin system would already reduce the incentive to multi client to a certain extend (where itll mostly affect those who're bossing and multi maging, except those gearing up to 140+). we don't have to always nerf but maybe buff elsewhere and other aspect of the game, example: coin system.

tbh i doubt any bossing ranged players would want to make 3-4 mages, but rather focus on enjoying the bossing content instead (even more so once the coin system is here).

8. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    10:53 PM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    If I recall correctly, the last change to gobies was a buff by adding back a few houses (in compensation for the aggro changes). Also, it's important to note that the previous nerfs were based on old aggro when literally every single goby would fly straight to you no matter where the mob was.

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    nerfing map = nerf legit player
    need nerf the metod..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    3:53 PM
    So many I keep forgetting
    On the other hand, I don't think the comparison between multi mage maps vs single mage maps is even a fair comparison.
    It's an argument I've brought up before and I'll continue to bring it up; multi mage requires a notably larger investment of time/meso. As a result, I don't find it strange that this generates more meso (in the context of multiclienting being the norm)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Thuglifer

Thuglifer Capt. Latanica

Sep 1, 2021
    Male
    Beginner
    yea i like this change, seems fitting since back in the days, goby mechanics were meant to follow nearby players who jumped on goby spawn (way harder) to get it's aggro and not having it fly to players

12. Lynx

Lynx Dark Stone Golem Retired Staff

Jan 13, 2020
    Male
    4:53 PM
    Beginner
    touched it already in my post here a while back.
    Sequel soonTM to address more concerns since :p

13. OP
    OP
    halfwaysleet

May 21, 2018
    Male
    halfway
    Thief
    Making a multi mage does indeed require more time and effort, and I'm not arguing that it shouldn't be rewarded more highly; I understand that it takes far more effort, however it also takes a huge toll on the server's economy.
    Making multiple mages is a worthwhile investment at the moment due to the best pure meso farming maps being optimal for multiple mages — they are large, have a very dense spawn and do not require a lot of effort, yet high-effort single mage maps for farming meso have been nerfed.
    I believe that if smaller maps that require more effort were to be given slight spawn buff, and large low effort meso farming maps a small nerf, it could make it a bit more inconvenient for people to farm pure mesos on multiple mages without it adversely affecting players grinding on a single character in those same maps. I do not believe that attempting to restrict people's ability to play on multiple accounts is viable by any means, but I feel like there should be a reduced incentive for those people to want to print pure meso instead of just selling leech or doing something that doesn't have such a significant negative impact on the economy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Thuglifer

Thuglifer Capt. Latanica

Sep 1, 2021
    Male
    Beginner
    newer maps release in maple are mostly better than old ones in one way or another, that's just the fact on how maple expansions were intended for. i.e coolies post ghost ship/ ludi post sg release lol. you talk about multi mages toll on the server, but u're ignoring the fact of the 'future changes admins have planned', i'm just gona wait for admin's changes and see how the server responds to it and then decide on what next. also, this server has seen many cycles of inflation but yet the market is still plausible

15. skim0686

skim0686 Mushmom

Mar 21, 2021
    9:53 AM
    I don't think that's true. This isn't like the real world, there are plenty of value sinks in the game. For example, a failed CS instantly takes out ~200m of value from the economy and taxes in game aren't like taxes in reality where wealth switches hands, in this game it ceases to exist. Also farming is pretty dead and way too action intensive compared to pre-sweeper ulu1, you can go to memory lane1 or vikerolas yourself and see how many farmers there are now compared to before. In May to early June this year, there were times when every ULU1 channel along with its dungeons would be being used, so 16 maps being used simultaneously. Also inflation increased even AFTER sweeper nerfs and still continue to do so. It seems the reason is because the demographic of the server shifted to higher levels with more capabilities to make mesos than ever before along with the speculative nature of CS, WS, other high value scrolls, and godly equips, not simply because of farming alone. scrolled attack capes alone are almost ~20~40% more expensive than when sweeper nerfs were imlplemented and continue to rise in price. Sweeper nerfs ended farming as a popular brain-dead way to make money, but it didn't fix the inflation because farming wasn't the cause of it in the first place. It definitely was a problem since it required too little effort, but it was not the sole cause, and as long as the community and the staff scapegoat it this widening gap between the uber wealthy and normal players will widen even further. And people resort to this degeneracy because it's the best way to make mesos, even moreso than pb or ht. Players need a bigger and better incentive to do 'other' stuff, not continuing to nerf things to the point the game feels like it's catering to the staff more than the players.

16. Jaewonnie

Jaewonnie Capt. Latanica

Apr 21, 2020
    Crimsonwood Mountain: Cavern of Pain
    PAWGChamp
    Buccaneer
    all ready triggered by ur 2nd line to read the rest of ur post. Whether or not a CS lands or fails, that 200m goes to the person that sold the CS. That is not a sink; its exchange of meso. Sinks are meso that go to NPC since they disappear and cannot recirculate.

17. skim0686

skim0686 Mushmom

Mar 21, 2021
    I don't think you understand what I wrote. I said value sinks, and ~200m of value, the entire economy is worth ~200m less after a failed cs, not that there are 200m less mesos obviously.

18. OP
    OP
    halfwaysleet

May 21, 2018
    Male
    halfway
    Thief
    I never said that was not the case, I was arguing that it did not make sense to me that a map got nerfed for being good for generating pure mesos when a different map that is even better for that purpose was left unnerfed.
    If you're talking about the prestigious coin system, it's more of a baindaid solution to fix the outcome of the problem, instead of the root issue which is the total amount of meso generated being higher than the meso sink, which causes people to want to hold on to items that do not devalue along with mesos.
    Even though the market here is very good when compared to other servers that have been up for the same amount of time, it's quite evident that there are a lot of problems present due to inflation, one of them being the very high price of white scrolls and chaos scrolls which have more than doubled in price within just a year.

19. Thuglifer

Thuglifer Capt. Latanica

Sep 1, 2021
    Male
    Beginner
    how is meso generated? using time, and this coin system draws time away from the farm fest through directing players who enjoy bossing contents (esp auto spawning mini bosses: manon/ grif/ pianus/ anego cuz it's nostalgic and if they ever get coin drops added) away from the meso generation (less potential meso generation).

The true root are the individual's behaviour playing a mushroom game, not meso generation being > meso sink. And if u would think nerfing one or more maps would change this behaviour, it might not. If only, you're hurting the single mages more and potentially pivoting single/quad mages to create more mages and hog more maps and channels.

I'm sure more opportunities will come by along the way to implement more meso sink features via content release or what not. Shifting the focus away from meso and it's sinkage, we can try and take a better approach via reviewing and increasing legendary rates via gach/raffles/cwk through seasons, making it slightly more accessible to the average player, where the ws/cs service/investor crew would think twice before hoarding such scrolls.

20. OP
    OP
    halfwaysleet

May 21, 2018
    Male
    halfway
    Thief
    While a coin system might serve as a meso sink since it will provide more of an incentive for people to boss, it still would not prevent people from mass printing pure mesos instead of farming them through other means such as selling leech, farming items that are in high demand, etc.
    That largely depends on which map you are talking about. There's no reason to nerf a map that is good for selling leech, or that has high-demand item drops, since it wouldn't necessarily contribute to meso inflation, but tweaking low-effort meso farming maps which allow people to easily stand in a single spot casting ultimate and print large sums of new meso into the economy could reduce the incentive for people to engage in this behavior. It wouldn't even have to be a spawn nerf per say but some change that would require a bit more attention so as to discourage robotic or "braindead" gameplay which makes multi-maging easy.
    Multi mages already do this in low effort maps such as cornians, the idea would be to nerf these high pure meso low effort maps that can be easily abused by multi-magers. Why is a map like gobys for example completely empty even though it's one of the best maps for farming meso, but maps such as ulu1 / ulu2 are packed to the point where it's difficult to find an empty map? It's mostly due to the effort required for those maps, and the spawn density. You already have multi-magers taking up multiple channels in ulu2.

Making gachapon items more accessible would not effectively combat meso inflation, nor the hoarding issue. If ws/cs prices becomes unstable people will simply resort to hoarding other items that have a more stable price to avoid being burdened by meso inflation, which in turn makes those items less accessible to people who actually need them.