1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Fixed expiring duration on Mastery Books

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by AioriaX, Dec 5, 2020.

1. AioriaX

AioriaX Selkie Jr.

Jul 25, 2017
    Male
    1:40 AM
    AioriaX
    Night Lord
    Beaters
    What do you guys think about the above titled idea? Please give feedback.

First of, we all know how the prices of horntail books are inevitably dropping due to very high supply, and insufficient corresponding demands. Despite having so many new players during the present day, prices will still not go up as we have collected a huge amount of books over the years when the player base was lower, that even selling a few more will not deplete the market ever.
    (and I'm talking about books like TT30, Zerk30, Blizz30, Meteo30, Snipe30, HH30 etc.)

Back few years ago, Berserk 30s and Triplethrow 30s used to sell at 300m a book, heck even Snipe30 was at least 70m a book. And now, you can find them on the FreeMarket/Horntail floor just waiting to disappear.

Of course, the longer the server exists, the number of end-game players with end-game gear who can take down Horntail faster, with less people, will only increase. Inevitably, a boss that has existed for so long will only reap less rewarding drops when the supply of its drops inevitably increase respectively.

The suggestion is to put an expiring duration once a book drops.
    ie. fixed 2 week duration after it drops before it self-depletes

Why?
    1. All the old pile of books that are worthless now, will disappear, leading to a reduction in existing supply that has collected dust.
    2. As the market supply depletes itself (without the need of purchase & use), the level of supply versus demand can start to achieve balance.
    3. When only new books exist in the market, new players will have to buy them at a higher price due to lower amount of supply.
    4. To actually get another book30, players are forced to run the boss if they want to hunt for the book.

A fair example is ShadowShifter30. Just a month or two back, ShadowShifter 30s used to sell for 500k or less, and now its back up to 5-7mil. This is possibly because the number of hunted books have tanked (?maybe the crowd hunting from the mob/boss that drops the book has reduced somehow), and due to reduction in the supply, the demand from new thieves have led to the increment of its prices.

However, horntail is still an essential end-game boss and cannot be compared as easily to a mob that can be easily avoided. Therefore, the supply of books dropped by Horntail will not deplete unless purchased and used by players (ie. people will just not stop running Horntail for the forseeable future).

Given how popular books sell within a week or two now, a two-week duration upon drop doesn't sound too short in my opinion, but I am open to feedback on this. What do y'all think?

• Disagree Disagree x 9
    • Creative Creative x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Eighty

Eighty Windraider

Jun 19, 2018
    Male
    Nepal
    11:25 PM
    Hundred
    Marksman
    Colors
    It might help with the cheap books but for the expensive ones wouldn’t people wait till books are about to expire before purchasing them at a super cheap because a desperate seller wants splits? Some splits is better than no splits?

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    10:40 AM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    This would most likely tank the market price for books even lower as expiring books have a predetermined depreciative value of 0.
    If, for some reason, a book on the market that is about to expire sells for 20m, other people are going to see this and adjust their expected rate. This encourages buyers to hold onto their mesos and save in anticipation for a tanking market, which eventually drives the entire economy to shit.

You make a couple of assumptions:
    1) The people who need MW20 have the ability to obtain a high amount of mesos for end-game books within a short period of time (2 weeks/expiration).
    2) The people who have MW20 are compelled to sell their books immediately.

I could see this partially helping the economy for low cost/useless books if the expiration was increased to something like 3 months, but it would be absolutely detrimental for the high value books.

4. OP
    OP
    AioriaX

AioriaX Selkie Jr.

Jul 25, 2017
    Male
    AioriaX
    Night Lord
    Beaters
    You're right. I overlooked this. Now that you've shed some light onto this, expiring socks/strawberry icecreams sell cheaper compared to those who are fresh.

I guess there is no salvation to horntail lmao.

5. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    One way you could 'salvage' the market is by artificially adding a floor value to certain books by increasing their NPC cost.
    If Gen30 was NPC-able for 80m, it would never drop below that price in the market.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. yurain

yurain Windraider

Dec 30, 2019
    YUrain
    I/L Wizard
    Yeah, I think someone has pointed out that this will tank the price much much futher as seller won't want a MW20 book to expire (0 return) if they can sell it for very little value.

There is only so much demand and supply that we can play with, unless someone has more unique ideas.

7. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    u can also make new books untradable, similar to aca1 and angel ray1. this will force the market towards HT services

8. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    7:40 PM
    Moderator Post
    If the problem is supply vs demands than the better option is just making them harder to obtain (ex; lower drop rates). Adding such thing like expiring books would more feel to me like a bendait solution.

Kinda how we modified Gachapon in the past when there's too much supply / not enough supply. The only issue with that is that people will start hoard books when rarity gets altered in the hope they can sell it for higher when there's less in the server.

However, the same is (and was already) done with Chaos / White scrolls anyway and other rare valuable items from gachapon that we modified the rates from in the past.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    1:40 PM
    DMsRebirth
    Horntail books aren't the only books in the game. Making books expiring would make books that are normally not valuable, but otherwise hard to obtain (things like dragon's breath 30 and monster magnet 30) impossibly annoying.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    2:40 AM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Problem with this is that its no longer mesos from other players (aka existing mesos), but it'll be freshly minted mesos... that's just going to cause inflation :(

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. MrPresident

MrPresident Capt. Latanica

Dec 19, 2017
    MrPresident
    Spearman
    Expiring items also can’t be sold in shops and get dropped 1 by 1 which are both pretty lame imo. The book decreasing in value as time expires is a way bigger problem tho and why I never liked this solution. I’d rather have some increase to gach tickets from bosses or chance of cs/ws along with a decreased chance of getting them from gach. This would allow bossers to more easily produce them while reducing the production from mages which are both good things imo.

12. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    I think there should be a 1 time expiration put in for all books set to expire before a server check. Duration can be 2 weeks to 1 month. Then, there should be a server check, and during this server check drop rates should be reduced.

Post this change, the expiration dates can be removed.

If this is something that can't be done, simply lowering drop rates is fine. It will take some time before the prices for worthless books rise, but it will happen in the long run.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
  13. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    This reminds me the time when only few teams were possible to do successful HT run and tried to dominate HT book market.... which I really dont want to see again.

If you think HT isnt profitable anymore, then you can just retire HT also. For me, HT run loses mesos in average. (Since i multiclient like 4~5s and burn pots like hell, also 15+ men run since its kinda weekly guild meet-up ). If i consider about doing something else at that time, It goes worse even more. But i still love to do it bcz its fun. (And helping new guildies). This goes with reason why i never HT except that run.

Sorry to say, but i dont want see endgame peoples dominate HT market again. Yes, AGAIN

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Its not really about dominating the market. At this point there are so many groups of people capable of doing HT that market domination is simply not possible. What I (and probably a lot of other runners too) want is for books other than genesis and mw to have SOME value, even if its only 5m.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    You're right. Server condition when the day when some team dominated HT market, is completely different with nowadays. I remember when only Halcy and Demure sold HT books. Samvosh insisted fixed price for books, like 50m, since she worried for if we raise its price for our greed, it'll be bad idea for long-term life of server. and then, when halcy is dead, I heard blizz30 price skyrocked toward 300m or so, which was astonishing. (i was quit at that point.) Due to small population of this server, it would be possible to dominate and raise up price of HT books, I guess.

As you mentioned, condition of nowadays is completely different with those days. So many population, so many teams doing HT. I totally agree on that certain small group can't dominate HT market anymore in this large user pool, and it'll be great to get such 'minimum incoming limit' so we don't lose $ while bossing. I just hoped to point out that, no one can't sure current condition will be lasts forever. With current condition, your idea is really nice. I do agree. but conditions can be changed, and it can be double-edged sword if such stuffs happens. hoped to strike it.

btw, great suggestion, I can read OPs opinion and deep-thought about HT market. really impressive.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Cashew2

Cashew2 Orange Mushroom

Oct 19, 2020
    Male
    Cashew3
    Night Lord, Corsair
    It's just the reality of an aging population. I started in the Covid era and remember having to buy TT30 at 5-7m. As the massive influx of new players died down, there isn't really a demand for those books anymore, sure some players are making their 30k washed NLs now, but it just doesn't compare to the amount of fresh players who joined back in March/April. Pair that with the covid players who did stick around getting to HT level, and you get the current situation of reduced demand and increased supply.

It might be too custom, but maybe a system where you have to "refresh" your mastery of a skill every 2 weeks/1 month/however long. The books could be 100% for the refresh tries, but at least it adds some more demand to the economy. Maybe restrict it to job specific skills, since people probably wouldn't want to drop 200m for MW20 every other week, but who knows that the price will stabilize at.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    The problem with this is that demand for Chaos/White scrolls will always be relevant to any class and any type of player whereas the demand for skillbooks are entirely dependent on new players/characters with a one-time use. The demand is never consistent and thus causes the ever fluctuating prices for skillbooks. The reason why MW20 is priced so highly is that every character has use for it, while things like Gen30 are reliant on the bishop class (and meta, which currently favors the Mage + hs mule leechstory).

NPC-able books will create a floor, but it doesn't mean the market itself would go to 0 - it just creates artificial demand. If Gen30 was NPCable for 75m, the market price would float above it depending on the realistic demand. When market price deviates closer to NPC price indicating low demand, the supply will fall as more sellers opt for instant splits, bouncing the market price back up again.

As for the argument of inflation, doesn't a server that shifts from leeching to bossing more naturally lean towards its own meso sink?

18. IHateApple

IHateApple Horny Mushroom

Dec 19, 2017
    IHateApple
    Dragon Knight
    The price of those class-specific book drop is due to the low demand. Just use snipe 30 and Berserk 30 as example, there are 14364 bowman but only 1547 marksman. And for Berserk 30, there are 33514 warrior but only 8030 Dark Knight. Same thing for shadow shifter 30 which both shad and NL need that, if more player play those class then the price definitely will go up.
    If those class specific skill book become worthless it only shows that class is becoming non popular. I suggest we should take another approach by buffing those non-popular class someway to attract more people to play those class instead of becoming NL legend.

Edit: hmmm, maybe the ranking class count is broke or I'm using it wrong so those number might not be accurate

19. Vowels

Vowels Mr. Anchor

Jan 23, 2019
    2:40 PM
    untrue
    Bishop
    Pasta
    For how precious time is and how long it takes to accomplish endgame goals in this game horntail is a waste of time, it's not good and as pointed out here it's not even decent.

Entertain theses questions:
    How long it takes to do a perfect weapon? How long it takes to get 40~70 white scrolls? but for someone that relies on bossing and grinding. Heh.. if horntail is 8m/hour with a 5-man squad imagine the standard 6~12 man squads and if Horntail is like this imagine any other boss content that isn't Pink Bean. It's bad, and yeah this isn't quite the revelation, everyone knows that to accomplish these kind of goals you are better doing mages.

meh I certainly don't have big problems with this as I, like many of us, have accepted and adapted to the situation to have some progression. But I do think bossing should be better, like at least decent, horntail should be on par with what could it be selling petris/skeles. For how annoying that long ass prequest is and for how challenging the boss is, it deserves to be at least decent.

I wanna know if staff thinks bossing should be a decent way of making mesos though. Is this a concern? or It's just boring tryhard problems that are a non-issue. After all people can have FUN while simply enjoying the mechanics, being social and poor.

• Like Like x 1