1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Melee vs Ranged.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zorele, Dec 24, 2022.

1. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    10:24 PM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    thats the point!

2. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    7:24 PM
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
  3. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    9:24 PM
    Zorele
    Cleric
    Can you explain a bit better why you think shadower is not as nearly as bad as hero in particular? Afaik they have similar/better single target with panic and higher cleave damage. Am I missing something besides the whole survivability "superiority" shifter gives

4. Selquin

May 28, 2018
    Serperior
    Pasta
    Speaking at a conceptual level, I would say that the reason is because shadowers have a real endgame niche which cannot be outclassed by another class, and this remains true even in a setting with infinite resources (NX and gear).

More concretely, one big advantage shadower has over DK/Pally/Hero is that they perform significantly better in PB. All of the warriors have a very high chance of dying to a 10 second seduce from the right bird, having a run that is not composed nearly entirely of thieves will result in a very chaotic run in phase 4/5. Furthermore, from what we've seen thusfar, shadower dpm's on both statue and body are comparable with archers on statue and warriors on body. Effectively, shadower is a far more resiliant class that does not rely on SE or SI compared to the warriors.

Another point that is important is that although shadower is not ideal as a choice for your singular main class, it is quite good as a secondary character. In addition to serving as a sed mule and providing smoke, it is also quite viable for dual attacking strats (unlike BM for example).

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Thuglifer

Thuglifer Capt. Latanica

Sep 1, 2021
    Male
    9:24 AM
    Beginner
    As mentioned above, which is also more suitable for JC dual clienting rather than hero's 3 target cleave versus shad's 4 with bstep stun and transitioning to Assasinate when spawns are cleared. Reducing the need for SI mule than for heroes, 1 less mule to bring along.

6. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    Right. You say shads perform better at PB than hero but we can't really nitpick one convenient scenario to claim that shads are better than heroes since they perform better at PB, a weekly boss. Overall heroes perform better in every other boss in terms of damage and the only other arguable is probably auf but it seems like people are forgetting that there's the option to body tank auf to avoid getting dispelled as frequently as many paladins do. Plus this boss has some cleave making it already better from that standpoint. Also let me remind you that the performance in this boss to be as good as it is claimed requires a 20k + shadower to truly get the most of their dmg, which is well beyond the "target hp" shadowers tend to wash to and in fact afaik there's only 2 shadowers with 20k+.

I think it's a very distinctive perspective to view every non ranged class as a tool and value them based on that. If we're going to be measuring a class worth based on their "decent ability to be better 2nd attackers" there's just a fundamental problem with the game. It makes more sense that every class has validation on being an actual main rather than a tool. I can't get behind that shadowers "arent as bad as we make it out to be" just because they perform better than a bad class on a weekly boss and are "ideal 2nd attackers".

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Selquin

May 28, 2018
    Serperior
    Pasta
    It depends how you value various pieces of content, in my mind auf is more or less meme content which is ran very infrequently and generates unimpressive EV. In contrast, PB is the most popular endgame and offers profits that can surpass even multimaging. If you count the total number of auf haven runs per week and compare that to the total number of PB runs per week, it might not be so different. Shadowers are better at the important content.

As for the comment on HP washing requirements, I'm coming at this from the perspective of endgame players, who have the resources to unlock the full potential of each class. Of course if you are a new player with limited nx the warriors offer some benefits in the form of easier washing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    Well i'm coming from the perspective of effectiveness in the content, not the profitability. Sure PB is a more important content but then again it doesn't seem to me like you'd bench a Nl for a shad, it's just not bad there. Regardless of the washing, heroes would still outperform i made that remark mostly to clarify.

9. Selquin

May 28, 2018
    Serperior
    Pasta
    This is true, however I would bench a hero/pally/dk/mage/corsair and in some cases even a MM/BM for a shadower. This consideration is no purely theoretical as well, there are only so many good NLs out there, and most of them are already on good runs, so the construction of news runs should take this hierarchy into account.

10. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    3:24 AM
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    7 shads on next weeks run FoxNinja

• Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    I agree with you here i actually think shadowrs can perform at a decent level in PB. With that being said, the fact that you'd bench those other classes for shad doesn't automatically make shads better , since there's a lot other content where those classes do excel. If that wasn't the case, the narrative would be shad is better than archers/corsairs/pallies and so on, and we both know that isn't the case. Only so much importance can be given to being "good" at pb.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    8:24 PM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    i think all of the above classes do about the same in my daily captain latanica and apq runs

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. Gurk

Gurk Headless Horseman

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    6:24 PM
    Gxrk
    Hero, Bishop, Marksman, Shadower, Buccaneer, Corsair
    That's absolutely not true. Shads are S-tier and a step above the rest in APQ. Who else can singlehandedly take down Geist Balrog in one go?

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Thuglifer

Thuglifer Capt. Latanica

Sep 1, 2021
    Male
    9:24 AM
    Beginner
    Note that the benched classes have a significantly higher tendency to die (ress wastage/ higher chance of fail) in PB as compared to shads, which drains party leads, multi-clienters and buccs overall DPM which in essence; is a headache.

15. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    I agreed on shad being valid on PB. Being on the top of your game once a week for a 2 hour period seems more of a player issue than anything else. I can see benched classes being more problematic but that doesn't mean take shad necessarily, you could also take a NL and do better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    8:24 PM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    fascinating! i will be updating my apq tier list tonight

• Great Work Great Work x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    10:24 PM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    LF @dpm 10-15secs command

18. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    apq

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    The rationale mostly resolves around what content has restrictive recruiting requirements and what content doesn’t.

PB is extremely restrictive on who you can bring, and “viability” carries a lot of weight, especially given it’s arguably the most important endgame content, the thing players work towards.

On the other hand nobody cares what class is better between Shads and Heroes in Zak or Verga because they’re incredibly easy bosses and it doesn’t really matter how good a class is, they can get into groups extremely easily.

In the content where it counts, Shads can often consistently pull their weight whereas DrKs are considered liabilities and little more than mules. While a Shad on body can easily pull 3-3.5m dpm, it would be surprising for a DrK to even break 1m dpm.

The only content where a Hero’s place is guaranteed whereas a Shad’s is not would be CWKPQ which is meme content anyways and not really profitable in terms of either mesos or exp unless you’re hella multiclienting or insanely strong

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    Again, I don't think maplelegends boils down to PB. As important as it seems in everyone's eyes, it's still one boss, 1 time a week. PB viability is definitely an important factor but it's definitely not the only one. I think if we're going into this whole discussion with the mentality that shadowers and heroes aren't BAD enough to not bring them in the rest of the content there's no conversation to be had. I think this is already clear, neither of the classes are "unplayable" some of us just believe the gap is unjustified and doesn't make sense.

There's is no point in ever changing class strength if the argument is "It's not bad enough". ipippy explained in a very detailed fashion why ranged attackers hold essentially all the advantages. Definitely darks are the big problem class since they are stuck in 3rd job for half the content but there was a confirmed rework for them so I expect that to be solved.

• Agree Agree x 1