1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

New player what class to play

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pimu, Sep 11, 2023.

1. pimu

pimu King Slime

Sep 11, 2023
    5:35 PM
    pimu
    Hi,

I left another big server last year after insanely increasing inflation. The maple itch has however been coming back, so I decided to do what I shouldve done in the first place years ago and start MapleLegends.

Now do you guys have any advice on what class to play? I want to play a ranged character that isn't very buff (team-play) dependent. Not worried about washing since I'm very busy anyway.

I was planning on making a sair for this purpose but the just released nerf to Aerial Strike has me feeling scared... Especially since there is no way of knowing how large the nerf was apparently.

So, what would you guys recommend atm? Maybe some archer?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tarnished

Tarnished Pac Pinky

Jun 13, 2022
    Male
    8:35 AM
    Confessor, Tarnished, Hawthorn
    Hero
    Welcome!

I would wager Sair still farms the fastest out of the ranged characters even with the minor drop rate nerf. Great option.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    12:35 AM
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    about buff dependancy.
    BM - completely independant. all they need is SE and they have their own already.
    MM - quite dependant on SI. still not terrible like how NLs dependant on SE but still SI vs non-SI makes quite big difference.
    Sair - slightly dependant on both SI+SE but boost isn't huge and still do OK damage even without both. have potential to be best DPMer among classes.
    NL - say no more. their dependancy on SE sucks.

nerf on airstrike isn't big thing honestly. it's just farming nerf which most of sairs don't do much anyway. sairs are bossing classes, not farming, unless you're going to meme sair.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    10:35 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    bucc

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. Mirrors

Mirrors Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    Mirrors
    WeenieHutJrs
    The nerfs to sair are very minimal and it wouldn't affect your gameplay. There's a list of full changes of class balances on this server, overall I think this server has done an excellent job, most attacker classes are viable in boss situations. Corsair has been buffed significantly compared to vanilla v62.

If you are set on playing a ranged character with no buff dependency then that leaves you with Corsair, MM and BM. All are excellent classes that do solid bossing output. They all have their pros and cons but you won't have any issues joining bossing runs or dealing damage.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    pimu

pimu King Slime

Sep 11, 2023
    pimu
    Ah okay thanks for clarifying the Aerial strike nerf isn't a big thing. I made a bunch of mules on this other server and it took so much time which I currently just no longer have so thats why I want a good all-round class so I can just play one character

7. OP
    OP
    pimu

pimu King Slime

Sep 11, 2023
    pimu
    Thanks for linking the thread it is very informative!
    Also thank you for clarifying that BM, MM and Sair are all good options!

8. OP
    OP
    pimu

pimu King Slime

Sep 11, 2023
    pimu
    May I ask why? its not really ranged right?

9. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    10:35 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    they are buffed to oblivion on the server, useful in both current and potentially upcoming content while requiring little nx. Also a major beneficiary of sneak buffs

edit: they’re ranged under st

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  10. lv1crook

lv1crook Capt. Latanica

Jan 19, 2021
    Male
    Level1Crook
    Corsair
    Flow
    I recommend archer classes if you are just starting on the server. They are versatile, independent, easy to play, strong at all stages of the game, and very useful due to SE.

Sair is pretty mid throughout all of early game but once you hit 4th job you become a lot better but it’s still a late bloomer. If you do play sair I recommend washing for sure

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. OP
    OP
    pimu

pimu King Slime

Sep 11, 2023
    pimu
    how much washing do you recommend? I think I am again leaning towards Sair due to the statements that the Aerial strike nerf isnt a big deal. I was aslo a sair back in the day and on the other big server mentioned

12. Rainemard

Rainemard Balance Team Staff Member Balance Team

Jun 30, 2022
    Male
    Rainemard
    Paladin
    Nimbus
    There's a thread on forums showing all the HP breakpoints for bosses, where you can pick and choose your own washing goals. That being said, sair is a great choice despite the Airstrike nerf, it's a decent farmer, deals insane damage if allowed to freefire and is very fun to play. If you want to go the meta way, most people make a mage first to fund their attacker, but I personally like playing the job I want to play from the start. If you like being independent on buffs, I would look into BM as well, since they are completely independent of any damage-increasing buffs.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    12:35 PM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    Welcome

play with someone you like, and make a good job out of it

• Like Like x 1
  14. lv1crook

lv1crook Capt. Latanica

Jan 19, 2021
    Male
    Level1Crook
    Corsair
    Flow
    Akash made a pretty good guide here https://forum.maplelegends.com/inde...ir-works-a-comprehensive-corsair-guide.27336/

If you just want to wash lightly you can just wait for the HP challenges to come out in the next year or so because there’s no point in a modest goal with the system almost ready https://forum.maplelegends.com/inde...-challenges-system-hp-wash-alternative.47420/

I’m not really a great example for advice because I only play leechless and have friends I can grind and cooperate with regularly. But I will say if you aren’t making a second character and can’t afford much leech it’s really not feasible to aim higher than 13k and I do recommend leech from 100-120. Also int gear is a waste of resources and it’s better to just get dex gear to have a more playable character even with the int.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2023
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. OP
    OP
    pimu

pimu King Slime

Sep 11, 2023
    pimu
    Thanks for the gear advice! So would you recommend adding more base int and getting dex gear instead of less base int and int gear? The washing cost is probably slightly higher but I do see how it is probably more attainable for a first character.

16. OP
    OP
    pimu

pimu King Slime

Sep 11, 2023
    pimu
    I read the buccaneer nerf when thread and am now kinda confused again on what to do to be honest... :wideyed:

17. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Buccaneer is the best class in the game, i suggest bucc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  18. lv1crook

lv1crook Capt. Latanica

Jan 19, 2021
    Male
    Level1Crook
    Corsair
    Flow
    Gear from int will only give you 1 MP for every 10 int you have per level. 10 Int from AP will give you 1 MP for every unused level up skill point you use plus the 1 MP for every 10 int per level up. That is to say, for every level up base int is 6x more powerful. Just make sure you understand the concept of fresh level up AP and washing.

Dex gear won’t make washing any faster, but with sufficient gear you should be able to play the character somewhat despite the INT. The most important part of washing a character is surviving the journey to high level so it’s better to forsake small efficiencies for larger conveniences.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. lv1crook

lv1crook Capt. Latanica

Jan 19, 2021
    Male
    Level1Crook
    Corsair
    Flow
    Buccs are also very solid first character if you’re not set on a ranged attacker. Not much washing required and satisfactory damage and utility.

20. OP
    OP
    pimu

pimu King Slime

Sep 11, 2023
    pimu
    I have some questions about the "not much washing required" thing about buccs. To my understanding a bucc is most comfortable (if you dont want to be HB dependent) if washed to 23k right? I remember from the other server I played that stale washing is a huge benefit in general and found my bucc there actually quite annoying to wash because of the very large amount of fresh AP into HP washing you need to do... This means that there is much less fresh AP left for MP washing so you need a higher base int making the character very difficult to play. Maybe im wrong but thats what I remember struggling with then, basically I let the bucc remain a 130 SI mule because getting it to 170 to finish HP washing seemed too annoying.