1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

New Mage damage formula

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by brunandes, Dec 1, 2023.

1. OP
    OP
    brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    4:07 PM
    Don't try to bring in logic my pal. It's just a circlejerk in the forums. Begoorato calling the old thread a mess is great. Me calling the old thread a mess is somehow avoiding criticism. Not sure what kind of logic is that lmfao.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. OP
    OP
    brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    Edited original post to include comparison of level up INT vs external INT.

Conclusion:
    If you just want to flex DPM and make full use of the new formula, stop leveling up!

Unlike those old-fashioned non-mage attackers who need to level up to fully enjoy scaling, all you need as a mage is $$$. With some great gear, I reckon a low-mid level mage can now compete or perhaps out-dpm those classic single target DPM classes at the same level. Sorry I was wrong about the striked out part, mage damage still can't compete.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2023
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  3. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    3:07 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    thats kinda like 1 cast of maple warrior

4. OP
    OP
    brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    Given that you are one of the richest players who like to push limits, could you help to test? A perf gear lvl 130 FP vs a perf gear lvl 130 NL? Echo and mw30 them both. I am actually pretty curious kek.

5. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    3:07 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    NL will still win any day i think, i recall my lpq mule hit some 8k lines with se back in 2020 with like a 11 cape and 44 claw

6. OP
    OP
    brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    Ok i think you might be right. Even if the lvl 130 mage has addtional 550 tma externally (not sure if possible), the buff over old formula is 37%. The NL damage should definitely have been more than that.
    Oh well, at least you can say u are doing 30,000x the damage of a naked mage:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    Upon further thought, I have another alternative suggestion for staff to consider.

How about keeping the old formula and changing the impact from scrolls?

For example:
    Wand 100%: +1ma
    Wand 60%: +2ma + 1 INT
    Wand 10%: +2ma + 1 INT + 1 spell attack

This way those who perfected their weapons from ws10 do get an increased scaling from high levels. No naked mages need to be nerfed.

8. DrJason

DrJason Windraider

May 30, 2018
    Male
    Canada
    4:07 AM
    DrJason, Zrar, WhyDaggers
    Islander, F/P Arch Mage
    Oddjobs
    If I am understanding correctly you want to buff previously scrolled gear? That would be almost-impossible, as the database doesn't keep track of what scrolls were used, only the current stats of the item. You can usually determine what scrolls were used with some arithmetic, but it still be very difficult to apply a simple formula that changes existing gear properly

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    Yes, logistically might be unfeasible, just throwing ideas out there. You can also introduce it as an new item and wait for the server to stablise in the long term, though abit unfair to current players.

10. OP
    OP
    brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    Hi, were you planning to enlighten me on what criticism I ignored and refused to deal with in the other thread? Went back to take a look, couldn't find it.

Only thing I realised was that I sought clarifications to two specific reponses by staff members and was ignored.

11. bienfu

bienfu Pac Pinky

Aug 14, 2022
    Male
    1:07 AM
    secondpink
    Beginner
    yo will mages finally be able to participate in bossing content?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    I want this for every skill except ults which should use the vanilla v62 formula.

13. Milkydoor

Milkydoor Master Chronos

Feb 10, 2020
    It is a little strange to call the previous (and new) magic damage formula "additive" when it's certainly quadratic in its variables, just like the physical damage formulae.

Either way, as far as mage changes go, this doesn't seem like the hill to die on. Mages have far deeper issues than their tma scaling on non-ults and the people who this change will affect the most are the ones sinking all their time and investment into actually maining their mages.

14. OP
    OP
    brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    The physical damage formula isn't quadratic at all??? It multiplies base stat with WA, meaning the increase of either stat or wa synergises with each other in terms of final damage output.

Yes I have acknowledged that the mage fornula led to slight scaling, I just didn't call it quadratic, I said squaring.

The difference is that the old mage formula's squaring portion leads to increased scaling as total tma increases (meaning scaling from both lvl and gear), the new formula changed the squaring to be purely on excess tma (scaling depends on current gear). This is problematic because it makes INT from leveling almost worthless compared to INT from gear.

15. OP
    OP
    brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    No, top end mages still get outscaled by attackers by quite a margin. Mid lvl/gear mages got nerfed, so they are even worse than pre-change.

16. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    What does squaring mean? Exponential?

17. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Depends on the fight. Mages are the absolute highest damage picks you can possibly have in Nib, as well as PB body if on cheese, they’re also competitive with top damage picks for things like Nameless and Auf too.

18. OP
    OP
    brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    ^2

19. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male