1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Make Whites Great Again

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Gurk, Feb 2, 2024.

1. Gurk

Gurk Nightshadow

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    7:53 AM
    Gxrk
    Hero, Bishop, Marksman, Shadower, Buccaneer, Corsair
    "Whiting" a boss is generally understood by people to mean that you dealt the most damage to a boss and it entails receiving a white (as opposed to yellow) line of exp after the boss is killed.

However, whiting a boss doesn't actually always mean that you dealt the most damage out of everyone present, particularly for runs with multiple parties or scenarios that involve frequent party composition changes throughout the run. This is because only a person from the party that has dealt the most combined damage is eligible to white. In other words, whiting simply means that you dealt the most damage in your party and your party was the strongest out of the currently existing ones. Even if someone else dealt the most damage to a boss, if they belonged to a weaker party such that the combined damage output of that party is less than another then they will not be eligible to be a whiter.

As you can see below, my weak ass MM that didn't even have SI was able to white the bean, which filled me a false and illusory sense of pride and accomplishment. EA would have been proud.

white.png

Because this seems like counterintuitive design, I am curious as to whether there is something underneath the hood that requires it to be set up this way or if it could be changed without a significant rework. My fragile ego, as well as that of other obnoxious players around the world, dictates that I seek external validation, namely from the frequency at which white numbers appear on the screen followed by shouting in all caps "WHITED". And so I urge that this be rectified with the greatest of haste if at all possible in the name of improving the old player experience.

Let us rally together for a system that truly reflects the value that players bring to the table and that puts power back into the hands of the whiters!

This has been part eleven in an ongoing series titled "Make X Great Again" (no, not that X). See below for prior installations.

Part 1: Make Archer Elixir Great Again
    Part 2: Make Mannies Great Again
    Part 3: Make Bossing Great Again
    Part 4: Make Pickpocket Great Again
    Part 5: Make Eclipse Great Again
    Part 6: Make Dragon Strike Great Again
    Part 7: Make PQs Great Again
    Part 8: Make Cleavers Great Again
    Part 9: Make Forums Great Again
    Part 10: Make Luk Mage Great Again

Last edited: Feb 3, 2024
    • Great Work Great Work x 6
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  2. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Damn, nice flex.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. TTKirnk

TTKirnk Dark Stone Golem Retired Staff

Nov 26, 2017
    Male
    10:53 AM
    TTKirnk
    Buccaneer
    Carnival
    i like this idea because that means ill be unstoppable OnionMuha

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    9:53 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    all whites are equal, but some are more equal than others

Last edited: Feb 3, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  5. Krythan

Krythan Nightshadow

Sep 2, 2022
    Krythan
    Bishop
    Sleepywood
    Even better. Instead of showing who "white'd" the boss, let's just show a leaderboard of damage done.

Then determine splits off of that ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    11:53 AM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    I thought it was a bait

7. Subterlabor

Subterlabor Nightshadow

Mar 13, 2023
    8:53 AM
    SweatLord
    Bowmaster
    Toilet
    Welp re rolling to bucc

8. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Honestly I do wish we had access to something like this, and not for splits reasons. I don't know if many players on here have played games with damage meters and the like, but they're a ton of fun when running with friends and close knit groups, and while there's definitely cases where randoms will use them for toxicity, those cases tend to be the exception and not the norm. Some of my fondest memories of raiding in WoW were being neck and neck with another member on our raid roster and competing with them every week. These kinds of minigames drove us both to be better players and created a sort of kinship as we both pushed each other to do better and we both viewed each other as good friends/rivals. During the run Gurk screenshotted in the original post, actually, I believe two parties of the run were quite close in terms of overall damage contribution and the white could have gone either way, but it's impossible for us to know for sure because we don't have access to this kind of information.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Ferluci

Ferluci Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 27, 2017
    Male
    4:53 PM
    Ferluci
    Bishop
    I think ur wrong ur literally the strongest MM in this maple world.
    Dont talk yourself down like that. U did the most damage of everyone. Period.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    4:53 PM
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    Man that title was SUS.
    [​IMG]

Making XP gains from a boss whiting %-relative to DMG can be interesting.
    Plus like make it a Room-wide announcement, like a Megaphone, that says
    "GurkityBoppity has whited [Insert Boss Name] by dealing 94032029 damage (38% of HP)"

It would be interesting, mostly for the people that want to swagger out their Whiting skillz

11. thechild

thechild Master Chronos

Mar 31, 2020
    Male
    fartmane
    Dark Knight
    Galaxy
    I feel like whiting is kinda balanced within the party based on its levels. ofc you can not use SI and still white. There have been several times where 2 people in a 5man zak will white 3rd body.

I do want to see the numbers pulled out from every class and the average party with the difference in levels and how dmg is determined throughout.

12. fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    11:53 AM
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA