1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Change SkillBooks to 100%

Discussion in 'Rejected' started by shlomi, Jul 22, 2020.

1. shlomi

shlomi Slime

Jun 5, 2020
    Male
    IL
    8:21 AM
    Hero, Dark Knight, F/P Arch Mage, Bishop, Bowmaster, Night Lord, Shadower, Marauder, Buccaneer, Corsair
    Hey,
    There are some SkillBooks such as MW/Genesis30/AndMore! that costs 250M/130M/..
    Not only that the price is very very high there is only a 50%-70% that the skill works!
    I know some of you say that this is the Same as Chaos Scroll that costs 80M and also 60%,
    Its Not. Chaos can be used for improving an item that can be sold by x3 and even x10 of its original value if it worked(Gaia 3ATT vs Gaia 8ATT)

I think that this is way way too much to pay for a skill probability
    You work so hard to get every single Mil in this game, if you fail this you will most likely quit the game.. and I think that this is a shame to lose players for this.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    11:21 PM
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    Hey,
    There are some White Scrolls that costs 140m+
    Not only that the price is very very high there is only a 10% that the ws works with your 10% scroll!
    I know some of you say that this is the Same as Chaos Scroll that costs 80M and also 60%,
    Its Not. Chaos can be used for improving an item that can be sold by x3 and even x10 of its original value if it worked(Gaia 3ATT vs Gaia 8ATT)

I think that this is way way too much to pay for a skill probability
    You work so hard to get every single Mil in this game, if you fail this you will most likely quit the game.. and I think that this is a shame to lose players for this.

3. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    10:21 PM
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    Book prices are already crashing, decreasing the demand for books by making fewer needed will crash the market further until they're worthless.

It would just make HT into the new Zakum.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    shlomi

shlomi Slime

Jun 5, 2020
    Male
    IL
    8:21 AM
    Hero, Dark Knight, F/P Arch Mage, Bishop, Bowmaster, Night Lord, Shadower, Marauder, Buccaneer, Corsair
    WhiteScroll is the same as Chaos, you get a direct profit.
    I dont think it will make the price drop, the opposite, i have enough mesos to buy those books but i don't want to take the risk.
    People stays with Genesis10 forever only because they are scared of the failure, same for MW

5. kalash

kalash Headless Horseman

Oct 18, 2016
    Male
    7:21 AM
    Kalash
    Night Lord
    Halcyon
    I get triggered every time...
    Those would be mastery books, they give you MASTERY.
    Skill books are 100% already and give you the SKILL.

6. Oradious

Oradious Mr. Anchor

Aug 28, 2018
    Male
    1:21 PM
    Oradious
    F/P Arch Mage, Gunslinger, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    Tfw new players who ain't gonna stick for long and haven't done any HT or excessive multi-clienting tries to give their opinion or suggestion about the topic.

100% skill books are a thing in post-hyper maple, so maybe you are in the wrong server.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. s0mething

s0mething Capt. Latanica

May 4, 2019
    Give this man a medal.

8. Precel

Precel Zakum Retired Staff

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    1:21 AM
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit
    Suggestion has been rejected and the thread has been moved accordingly.

• Great Work Great Work x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    2:21 PM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Friendly (yet unsolicited) Maple nerd here~ o/

The reason this isn't a viable suggestion is based off a few major reasons:
    1) Misunderstanding of the target audience of skill books
    2) Economic principles that underpin the Maple economy
    3) Neckson's game design

1. Misunderstanding of the target audience of skill books
    If all that's stopping you from purchasing books is "the fear of failing" that means you're probably not at a stage of the game where you NEED the skill upgrade. It's like how a Lvl 80 player isn't going to start white scrolling to perfect his weapon. You only need MW20 and Genesis 30, when you NEED the upgrade to perhaps 1 hit something. At a point you're usually torn between "do I spend 100m+ to get a 2tma increase?" or "do I spend 100m+ to get a higher Genesis or MW, to get a WAY bigger increase". When the cost/benefit calculation points you to Genesis/MW, is when people usually buy the book. Don't ever feel peer pressured to buy it :p Only buy it if you NEED to 1 hit something, usually skeles as a bishop, or Petris as a AM.

2a. Economic principles that underpin the Maple economy
    LETS ASSUME, we do change skill books to 100%, you're not wrong in saying that it might unlock a new group of people that you can sell books to. It definitely will unlock a player-base that hasn't reached the stage I mentioned above, to become potential skill book buyers. HOWEVER, just how many new potential buyers are we getting? At most, let's say its a 25% increase (which I'd say is a vast over-estimation). Genesis 30 is a 50% pass rate.

IF PREVIOUSLY, there were 100 people buying Gene 30. You'd probably sell 200 books, just because of the low pass rate. (Hypothetical numbers)
    WITH CHANGES, there will be 125 people buying Gene 30. You would only sell 125 books.

As you can see, the nett sales of books would be way less eventually. As demand gets quenched faster. How about for a 70% pass rate like MW20?

IF PREVIOUSLY, there were 100 people buying MW20. You'd sell around 140-150 books.
    WITH CHANGES, there will be 125 people buying MW20. You'd would only sell 125 books.

Of course, these numbers are purely hypothetical, so don't look too into them :p So if this suggestion was about unlocking more people and thus more sales, it wouldn't turn out as expected by the OP.

2b. Economic principles that underpin the Maple economy
    What about from the buyer side? Surely it must make the books cheaper right? Well... What might happen is the market will correct itself for a short while. If the sellers knew that they can only sell 1 book to 1 person. Then you'd want to charge the highest amount possible. Probably the same as a 100% package right now, which is 2x the book cost.

However, this would probably be short lived, and due to the constant runs, there will be an oversurplus of books in stock. People will get desperate and as supply > demand, prices will rapidly fall. To the point where every skill book would be worthless.

3. Neckson's Game Design
    Who cares if book prices are worthless right? Based on utilitarian thought, as long as the majority is happy (all the people that passed their 100% skill books) the minority (the runners) don't matter right?

Well... that's where Neckson's game design kicks in. Neckson designed the game so that late-game players that have attackers can (theoretically) earn money through bossing. Running bosses, then selling the drops (equips, pendant/helm, skill books). The other alternative is to sell leech as a mage (not sure if this was intended game design, but it became a thing). If you obliterate attacker's ability to make mesos, then mages will RISE TO POWER! Right? (Let's ignore the fact that this is unwanted from a balance stand point, as we don't want 2000 mages walking around)

Mages need customers too though :think: Leech buyers are usually attackers as it's slow to train one, and faster to buy leech as one. But if there's no end-game incentive to make an attacker, why even make an attacker? Mages will lose customers, inevitably leading to leech prices crashing as well.

With decreased meso turn over (via trades between players - aka purchasing skill books from attackers, buying leech from mages), the overall economy will probably suffer too.

Conclusion
    Those would be a simple(ish) summary of why the suggest change wouldn't achieve the intended result. I hope you don't feel to discouraged though! Not all ideas work out, and I've definitely spewed our more unfeasible ideas than good ideas xD But it's that ONE good idea that matters ;)

• Great Work Great Work x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. kalash

kalash Headless Horseman

Oct 18, 2016
    Male
    Kalash
    Night Lord
    Halcyon
    M A S T E R Y B O O K S

11. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    1:21 AM
    iPippy
  12. kalash

kalash Headless Horseman

Oct 18, 2016
    Male
    Kalash
    Night Lord
    Halcyon
    They're 2 different things... Skill books are a thing too. But they're untradable, 100% and give you the skill. I don't see how people have such a hard time understanding this... The books even say "mastery book"

13. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    2:21 PM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Oh sorry, you're talking about Mastery skill books right? xD

14. Nicholas

Nicholas Mixed Golem

Jun 9, 2016
    Male
    London
    DragonNich
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Summer
    New suggestion: rename mastery books to skill books to make players like kalashkalash conform to norms f3.

15. kalash

kalash Headless Horseman

Oct 18, 2016
    Male
    Kalash
    Night Lord
    Halcyon