1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you enjoy the story that is being told through the Challenges?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Redwop, Mar 9, 2024.

1. Redwop

Redwop Balance Team Staff Member Balance Team

Jan 27, 2016
    12:35 AM
    Over the past year I have read about different posts that have commented on the difficulty of the Challenges.

I was wondering if anybody here had any thoughts that they had wanted to share about the story that was being told through the Challenges itself? If any characters or plot lines had kept you engaged throughout? Or aspects of the story that you felt could have been expanded upon? Or perhaps you might have some theories about how the story will continue to be developed?

I may have articulated what I said above poorly, but I am only really asking this out of curiosity. And I am not expecting a specific kind of answer; I am just eager to hear your thoughts. Who knows, it might even become a source of inspiration for whatever might be written about next!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2024
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  2. Asanagi

Asanagi Chronos

Sep 16, 2022
    Female
    2:35 AM
    Asanagi
    Bowmaster
    There was a story?

Crab Chan.PNG

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Redwop

Redwop Balance Team Staff Member Balance Team

Jan 27, 2016
    12:35 AM
    Yes, every mandatory challenge that is offered across each of the tiers is "a custom questline, set in a specific game region, that includes a fleshed out storyline, custom assets, and potentially new quest mechanics to offer a seamless journey that provides players with a natural sense of progression." (credit)

4. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    4:35 PM
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    I was very surprised at not only how well implemented the new features were and how they were integrated into the story but also how naturally the entire thing fits into the already existing Maplelegends world.

No idea how it will progress but I fully expect there to be a big bad boss at the end of it all and if the next tiers have the same amount of content as the first it's going to be a grand storyline.

Might be too grand as it could start to compete with the existing "mainline" lore (as far as that exists anyway, I'm no expert on this, it always seemed rather messy yet fun overall).

Anyway if the same quality can be put out going forward you can't really miss, props to everyone that worked on this so far and looking forward to future updates.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. cereal box

cereal box Slime

Apr 28, 2023
    Male
    10:35 PM
    wheaties
    Shadower
    Duds
    I liked how the first two had drastically different tonalities - one with a dark undetone, and the other is just... taking care of a bird
    [​IMG]

Continuity between quests and culminating all of them into the final one would be nice, but it might seem forced if the narrative doesn't flow well!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. hyvn

hyvn Red Snail

Mar 7, 2023
    Male
    9:35 AM
    HYVN
    Hunter
    Nani
    I liked birb quest!!

1st story questline I hardly remember b/c of how traumatizing tauromacis/taurospear questline was :hungover:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Subterlabor

Subterlabor Nightshadow

Mar 13, 2023
    8:35 AM
    SweatLord
    Bowmaster
    Toilet
    With my lack of time and need for hp asap I don't read any questlines. Rip to dev that created all the story

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Jaewonnie

Jaewonnie Capt. Latanica

Apr 21, 2020
    Crimsonwood Mountain: Cavern of Pain
    10:35 AM
    PAWGChamp
    Buccaneer
    I enjoy lore.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. DrJason

DrJason Windraider

May 30, 2018
    Male
    Canada
    10:35 AM
    DrJason, Zrar, WhyDaggers
    Islander, F/P Arch Mage
    Oddjobs
    I like that each tier seems to focus on a different continent/area (i.e. Vic in part 1, aqua part 2) and that they add to existing lore/character development.
    I think they can be used to flesh out areas that don't have as much lore connecting to the rest of the maple world.

For example,
    Say part 3 is in Ludi. The main plot of the Ludi continent is the crack in time causing things like Pap, LPQ and Ellin Forest. It would be cool if we got some lore tying in KFT+the Library's lore with the past coming in through the crack in time, and Omega Sector on the other end is the future coming in through the crack in time. Seems like a good lore fit but it's never brought up explicitly in canon.

Another example is for Orbis+El nath. We already have this cool backstory of how a thriving mining town existed but they dug too deep and found the evil Zakum tree and were compelled to build it a statue, and it turned them all into zombies and the town vanished. However none of the current residents of the continent talk about this (the Orbis fairy's are old and Alcaster is also very old and should know about it) I think it would be cool to explore this backstory further.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kirisame

Kirisame Selkie Jr.

Jul 5, 2018
    Peke
    Night Lord
    Pigu
  11. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    9:35 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta

progression in challenges questline should be replaced with some temporary means to get the rest of the tiers. both rushing the questline for an inferior product or end of decade completion are avoidable

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Ryae

Ryae Wolfspider

Apr 17, 2015
    Female
    USA (West Coast)
    7:35 AM
    Ryae
    Night Lord
    Nimbus
    This is the lore surrounding El Nath?! That's so cool, I love this concept and so many details make more sense now haha. Thank you for sharing this!!

I loved them both so far, especially with what cereal box said about both quests so far having different tones and only culminating to a big finale if it feels natural to do so. Otherwise, I love love the idea of expanding on different areas of maple like others have said! There are some really cool designs/ideas in maple that never really got the chance to be fleshed out.

Both questlines gave me the same vibe as the older and really long maple quests (I actually really like those tbh, even if they're a bit tedious haha), maybe the first one edging out the second but I'm not sure if I'm biased because it was based in vic so it just had a nostalgic vibe because of the area lol. Anything that gets me to break out a piece of paper and draw a little diagram/take notes is so fun to me so special shout out to the alchemy part with Sophia in the first questline SlimeBlush

Also the extra reward for the second questline (round friend?! yes) is 10/10, it's cute to have a little something fun for going through all that and could be a nice alternate incentive for those that don't particularly need the HP reward but want to earn the little exclusive something~

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    7:35 AM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Excited to try it out once it’s fully released, but I’m not super interested in play testing something that could potentially scuff my character behind an unconfirmed content release schedule.

14. FoggyFlower

FoggyFlower Red Snail

Mar 13, 2024
    Male
    Beginner
    I can only remember Zarkum questline story