1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

On the recent Shad buffs

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Blu301, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Blu301

Blu301 Pac Pinky

May 20, 2019
    Male
    East Coast, USA
    5:23 AM
    Blu301
    Shadower
    Summer
    Hi all, I'm Tim/Blu301. I have a level 181 shad here on ML and I just wanted to provide some feedback on the recent shad buffs :)

To sum it up - I think the shad buffs were just right. As it stands now (without the party having SI), it seems that shad solo target DPM is insignificantly lower than like-leveled warriors, and even slightly higher than the warriors we have some levels on. Though we are still a bit lower in terms of solo target damage when a warrior has SI, this makes sense, as shads have other perks like high avoid and accuracy to make up for our mediocre solo target damage. For those reasons, we shouldn't really be stronger than warriors with like-caliber gear + SI anyways (as much as it pains me to say it).

People have even joked about shads being OP when I whited at certain bosses recently... While I think that statement is still quite a stretch, I truly think the playing field is more even, and there is sooo much more appeal to making a shadower now because we are no longer liabilities in regards to solo target DPM. It makes shad possibly the best starter attacking class because we don't need to wash much and are quite cheap to fund.

All things considered, the skill buff to Assassinate was as perfect as it could be. Not large enough to make us OP, but not little enough that it didn't make a noticeable impact. Thank youuuu

Now, I don't mean this next part to complain in any way - being an active 4th job shad, I'm so very thankful for the changes that have been made. But I thought I'd highlight some potential suggestions for the future that would further even the playing field without giving us unfair advantages:

- Increasing the horizontal range of Assassinate - seeing the attack range increase to blast for Pallys, I think it makes a lot of sense to slightly increase the horizontal range of Assassinate. There are several situations in which it is unreasonably difficult for a shad to use Assassinate including Zakum top left arms, Horntail left head (during body stage), and Toad 2nd body (when the Toad does its wave attack, I need to be standing nearly in the center of his body to hit since the hitbox shifts wide left). During Zakum top left arms and Horntail left head, we have to be standing on the very edge of the ledge down to pixels in order for Assassinate to hit, and if we get knockbacked we have to reposition which is quite difficult. This change would just make things more comfortable for us.

- Allowing Assassinate lines to be affected by Sharp Eyes - I realize allowing shads to benefit from SI may be over-the-top, but I think it also makes sense to let Sharp Eyes affect our Assassinate lines to further even the field. It seems that we are the only class in which Sharp Eyes has no effect on our main attacking skill, so in bossing the disparity in DPM increases by a good margin when we are the only ones still doing the same amount of damage. I think this change would make it fairer for shads during bossing without adding any unfair side effects.

- Debatable - Decreasing the cooldown of Smokescreen by 4 seconds per SP point. This would lead to an 8-minute cooldown at max level 30, whereas the cooldown currently remains 10 minutes regardless of level. I think this would be a great but not game-breaking change that not only benefits the entire bossing party, but also makes running with a 4th job bossing build more interesting (as in maxing Smoke before other skills like Shadow Shifter or Taunt). As it stands now, each SP for smoke simply increases the time of effect by 1 second, and every few SP increases the area of effect by a decent margin. A separate idea I've heard being floated from a friend was letting smoke provide status condition immunity, such as skill-lock or seduce. It would be cool if shads gained value in bossing like HT if they understood animations/timers and could Smoke just before an incoming mass seduce.

I don't mean to demand more changes after we have already been buffed, but just thought I'd reiterate these suggestions for the future (I'm sure you guys have thought of them already).

Thank you so much to the staff and balance team for your constant efforts to make ML the best private server out here. I really appreciate all of you f4

-Tim

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Mirrors

Mirrors Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    2:23 AM
    Mirrors
    WeenieHutJrs
    Thank you Tim aka the #1 Shad in ML. I agree with the Assassinate buff I'm even more excited to get to 4th job LOL. Thank you once again staff for listening to the players and buffing our beloved meme thief class

3. OP
    OP
    Blu301

Blu301 Pac Pinky

May 20, 2019
    Male
    East Coast, USA
    Blu301
    Shadower
    Summer
    first of all F3

and second of all F3 I thought this was a private forum post for only the staff LOL rip

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Fishy

Fishy Skelegon Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2017
    Male
    Eiji
    Dark Knight
    Beaters
    we are aware of these things, things are already in discussion :p , enjoy the new buff , glad to know people are happy with the new changes

In HT , warriors use rush and have to stand on the edge too, just have ti reposition or its just "standing in 1 spot and pressing 1 button type of gameplay"

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  5. LurkinShadow

LurkinShadow Mixed Golem

Apr 13, 2018
    Male
    12:23 PM
    LurkinShadow, LurkinMenace
    Bowmaster, Shadower
    Winterfell
    Thumbs up yet another thorough work done by great Tim.
    I'd like to point out as extra the poor range (attack radius? Not in terms of damage dealt) in Horntail.
    Left head of Horntail is nearly impossible to keep a steady dpm since you need to get much closer to head to actually activate the hitbox not to mention if you get hit and try to reposition finding yourself at the Bottom of the map.
    But I guess it's kind of manageable if you compare it to our range at some of the above mentioned bosses.
    I'd also like to point out that the Shadower getting buffed is huge and might make ppl joke less about Shadower mains like me and Blu and might make ppl convinced into making these.
    That one really stresses out the idea that our Staff is devoted and connected to our great community!

• Like Like x 1
  6. MrPresident

MrPresident Capt. Latanica

Dec 19, 2017
    MrPresident
    Spearman
    Maybe more suitable for its own thread but can rush be fixed to always go to the end of the platform? Many times I use rush and it doesn’t bring me all the way to the end so i have to tap my way over without falling off. Or the other problem i sometimes have is rush going too far and it pushes me off the ledge. Not sure if other warriors have these problems but it happens to me constantly in HT.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. OP
    OP
    Blu301

Blu301 Pac Pinky

May 20, 2019
    Male
    East Coast, USA
    Blu301
    Shadower
    Summer
    :) yall are awesome. I get that warriors also need to stand on edge, but a combination of factors makes it easier for them - ex that their weapons have longer attack range, their skills have longer attack range, and stance also prevents them from getting knocked "90%" (lul tho) of the time. For shads, standing on edge is a different game compared to warriors bc it really comes down to what seems like a few pixels when it comes to hitting HT's left head. I think even like a 5-10% increase to Assassinate's horizontal range would be so helpful.

Similar to warriors using rush to go to the edge of the platform, I've tried using assaulter to get to the edge but it's actually made me fall off the ledge and die by head before so I haven't used it since LOL. Maybe I was just being careless tho, will try again when I have HB sometime haha

8. Kageshirou

Kageshirou Slime

Jul 31, 2018
    Male
    Canada
    3:23 AM
    Kageshirou
    Buccaneer
    Organization
    Nice thread and its always a great thing to see some feedback on recent changes. I personally was rather curious to see feedback from a shadowers perspective (I don't have one) concerning how assassinate is now like.

Don't worry, I tried the same thing with corkscrew a while ago and had somewhat the same result haha.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. aaronis

aaronis Slimy

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Shadower
    Beaters
    Shadowers are very cool now. 10/10 would reroll from NL to shadower.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    Blu301

Blu301 Pac Pinky

May 20, 2019
    Male
    East Coast, USA
    Blu301
    Shadower
    Summer
    FishyFishy I added one more suggestion and was curious of your first impression on it -

"- Debatable - Decreasing the cooldown of Smokescreen by 4 seconds per SP point. This would lead to an 8-minute cooldown at max level 30, whereas the cooldown currently remains 10 minutes regardless of level. I think this would be a great but not game-breaking change that not only benefits the entire bossing party, but also makes running with a 4th job bossing build more interesting (as in maxing Smoke before other skills like Shadow Shifter or Taunt). As it stands now, each SP for smoke simply increases the time of effect by 1 second, and every few SP increases the area of effect by a decent margin. A separate idea I've heard being floated from a friend was letting smoke provide status condition immunity, such as skill-lock or seduce. It would be cool if shads gained value in bossing like HT if they understood animations/timers and could Smoke just before an incoming mass seduce. "

11. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    I personally don’t feel like Shadowers were balanced properly, and that they were over-buffed to the point that they are close to the best single target melee DPM in the game.

I don’t think I’d really mind that if Shadowers weren’t so good everywhere else in the game. In terms of survivability they are one of the top classes, in terms of training they are only beaten by mages, and they have incredible cleave to top all of that off. They were a well rounded class that could have used a moderate buff to Nate, but I don't believe it should be capable of beating most other melee classes in damage in almost every instance.

Personally I think too much weight is put on single target DPM as a standard of measurement. Bishops and Arch Mages don't have single target damage, but they still thrive because the tools they were given are wonderful for the situations that they were meant for. Shadowers had a decent bag of tools and were already capable of taking on most content in the game before the buff, but now I don't believe the class has any real drawbacks compared to the other melee classes. Looking at Shadowers now I don't think I can come up with a single solid reason to make a Hero over a Shadower.

Adding the 4th line to Nate was good, but personally I believe it would be more well balanced at either 575%x4 or 550%x4, rather than the 625%x4 that it currently is.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. OP
    OP
    Blu301

Blu301 Pac Pinky

May 20, 2019
    Male
    East Coast, USA
    Blu301
    Shadower
    Summer
    AlyoshaAlyosha This ended up waaay longer than I intended my apologies lol... But let me fight for my class right quick, I don't think the skill buff was OP and should be so quick to nerf.

In solo-target I still get whited everywhere by a like-caliber bucc or a lower-level warrior with good gear and SI, and I'd call my gear good as well. I think it's relevant to count SI as a factor because it's so common in bossing scenarios, whether it's a bucc or an SI mule I'd say whatever bossing party I'm in has it far more often than not (for CWK/HT/NT). But disregarding all of that because it's reliant on the presence of SI -

High survivability, sure. We're likely the best in that regard in terms of pot-saving. But that's only one aspect of survivability, I think the more important aspect is HP. Comparing our total HP (doubling because of Meso Guard) to any warrior, we still need to wash an insane amount more to survive all of bossing since warriors have higher base HP and also gain much more per level/wash. I've washed a considerable amount and only have 14k including Meso Guard, I don't think I can name any like-leveled warrior that has near that low HP.

For training, it seems we're 2nd to mages along with warriors, as the difference seems to be negligible. Several like-leveled warriors of various classes have even claimed higher average EPM (duo) at 7F without SI, while I've never really heard any like-caliber say they get much of a worse average EPM. We have taunt and can hit 4 mobs with range, but heroes/drks still hit 3 with decent horizontal range with their main attacking skills and their mobbing attacks cast a lot faster. I think we're very close to even in this regard, and that our only advantage for 7F grinding is that we don't require an accuracy set of gear so it's more realistic for us to grind there at early levels.

Bear with me here lol - in terms of being a cleaver for bossing I think it's wildly unfair to call us incredible.

It's pretty situational in that sometimes we're slightly better and sometimes we're a ways worse (the difference at CWK is insane). Perhaps you're thinking mostly in regards to Horntail, but even still it doesn't add up to me. When there are 2-3 targets, like some of Zakum arms, essentially all of CWK boss stage, or some of Horntail, our DPM is much lower (though comparable if we're hitting 3 while the warrior hits 2) than a like-caliber warrior because Boomstep's cast time is slow (I use Boomstep>Band of Thieves for 3-target or DarkSight>Assassinate>BoomStep for 2-target). It seems to me that for cleaving purposes, assuming like-caliber, we only produce higher DPM while hitting 4 targets and possibly 3 targets when a warrior hits 2 (the DPM with BoomStep is quite poor), ex during the first half of Zakum arms and some parts of Horntail, there aren't really other situations. I'm usually the highest level in the cleave party for HT runs at this point, and I use 1-2 stews while everyone else is on bear, and the only part I usually white is the middle head bc I'm hitting it essentially for the entire run. Granted it gives the most exp, but my point is it doesn't make sense to call us incredible cleaves for bossing. Seems that we're a bit better than a Hero for HT, and far worse for CWK.

I agree that there aren't very many drawbacks to playing shad anymore. But making a Hero is obviously still relevant because they're much easier to wash to survive anywhere without HB, and stance is > avoid+shifter for overall DPM purposes. Before the buff to Assassinate there were virtually no reasons to make a shad over any warrior class. As is stands now, Drks are still necessities for HB, Pallies still by far do more solo-target damage, and I'd say we're now on par with Heroes. No nerfs please

13. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    Maybe it's best to use numbers, up until now it's just been opinions and what I've seen around the discords, but whatever the numbers say I'd be more inclined to agree with regardless of my own personal feelings. I'd rather learn something than be right in any circumstances. But it does come with the stipulation that the only class I've really tested and understood to a high degree is the Dark Knight.

I decided to do a couple quick DPMs, one with the fairly standard 20 attack pot, SE, and MW20. The second test includes SI as well.
    My notable equips include a 121 attack 13 str ski, 14 attack gloves, 7 attack cape, T10 ring, 10 attack 7 str 6 dex MoN, 6 attack popsicle, 2 attack shoes, 19 str top, 16 dex legs, and a 15 str 27 dex helmet
    [​IMG]
    I went with 3 targets to get a more averaged answer.
    Standard DPM - 6.213mil/min
    With SI - 6.705mil/min

Those are the standard dummy tests. Honestly I believe the better metric for DPM actually does revolve around HT though, and the group that I usually run with does DPM 45s as their standard. Over the long period of the fight is where the nuances among all of the classes can really show their value[Except for Corsairs, RIP them. A Rapid Fire buff would probably help them there]. In DPM 45s at HT with 2 stews I've gotten between 6.8mil dpm with really shitty luck and 7.8mil dpm with exceptionally good luck.

Shads are great cleavers in HT because their numbers should be very similar to that using similar gear. It's really difficult for them to white Arms/Wings because their damage is spread out over more targets on average compared to other cleavers, so their damage to a single target is less than what other cleavers can accomplish but it's very similar in total because of the extra hit procs that occur from the range of B-step hitting mid head. It compensates overall for the slow cast speed of B-step.

I can't really say much about cwkpq because I don't tend to run it, stemming from it being frustrating to zerk with the random warrior boss buff capable of 1koing any DK who wants to use reasonably prices potions to 100% zerk. I could stick pet pot at 20% rather than 15% but it would impact the numbers a fair bit, and would probably decrease DPM by ~10-20% overall. In fact I likely don't do much other than HT because it is difficult to pot in most places without either spending more than you make[NT buff might've changed that though...] or sacrificing significant chunks of DPM in order to safe. Shadowers do actually have more HP than Dark Knights do, it only takes 8250 HP without HB and ~5300 with HB to be better off HP wise. Or we could just not zerk, but overall it's never felt rewarding to zerk, it's only felt like I've been punished to choose not to zerk and just becomes boring content. I suppose I write partially out of jealousy because DKs aren't that great outside of HT and are punished in most content with some fairly painful choices for how to overcome content, in either sacrificing their DPM or their bank accounts. With this buff Shadowers are great almost anywhere.

But at this point it just sounds like I'm complaining about Dark Knights so I should stop. They're enjoyable in HT but can be frustrating in most other places. Heroes are alright but with every buff to other classes they lose a bit of relevance as the jack-of-all-trades and become more mediocre by virtue of being overlooked. Paladins have always been really good with Heaven's Hammer but I'm not entirely sure how much the Blast range increase helped overall, they're still better off hugging Zakum to dodge stuns and better off using Advanced Charge in CWKPQ. It's easier to find a target in HT now but increasing the range of Advanced Charge would have done them even better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    The most important metric at HT is average dpm over the course of a body, the amount of whites you get doesn't necessarily reflect your damage contribution. Within an optimal 4-6man squad with good range-cleave balance and skilled ranged attackers who don't waste time attacking the wings, shadowers end up with average dpms comparable to warrior classes.
    To give you an idea of what the numbers look like, here are the approximate 3 stew dpm 45's during HT bodies that our HT squad has collected over the past couple of months.
    lvl 200 shad ~ 8-9m dpm
    lvl 200 NL ~ 9-10m dpm
    lvl 18x/200 BM ~ 7m/7.5m
    lvl 18x DK ~ 7-9m (depends a lot on right head cancel and team composition)
    lvl 200 bishop ~ 5-6m

Endgame heroes and pallys can get to around 8-9m (higher with SI), MMs should be slightly lower than BMs with equivalent gear, to the best of my knowledge buccs sit around 6-7m, and sairs are too laughably bad at HT to bother talking about (I dont know).

The ranged attacker dpm's tend to be pretty stable, but the cleaver dpms have a stronger dependence on the composition of the team. For example a team with many cleavers will result in each cleaver having lower overall dpm due to the fact that there is less overall cleave time. During right head cancels if the NL/BM decide to be lazy and hit the wings instead of the mid head (shameless advertisement https://forum.maplelegends.com/inde...um-cancels-an-obscure-piece-of-bm-tech.26358/), then this also reduces cleave time and lowers each cleavers overall dpm.
    However, if everything is done correctly, then it is pretty clear that shadowers are pretty close to on par with warriors on the body. In addition high level shadowers have far more survivability than warriors, burn virtually no pots, less dependence on SE and SI, and provide smoke to top it off. Of course this comes at the cost of still being slightly weaker, but I would argue this is reasonably balanced at this point.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Fishy

Fishy Skelegon Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2017
    Male
    Eiji
    Dark Knight
    Beaters
    -no disrespect, but thinking only "DPM" is the main reason to play a class, shouldnt be the reason why classes are "op"
    - you guys cleave 4 mobs... and if they arent bosses; they are mobs and they get stunned after getting Bstepped...
    - Shads / Warriors (except pally) can cleave all 3 bosses at the bottom, thats pretty damn good, The more cleave you do, the better/faster the CWKPQ runs would be... I see no issue with shads in CWKPQ atm

we are still reviewing and looking at how the shad buff has been lately, but afaik at the moment, I've heard/seen alot of shads satisfied with the current buff. Remember man, sometimes people pick a class because of the kit/utility/playstyle, not purely for damage. If i ever played a Shad, I wouldve picked it because of how fun it looks. Same goes for Buccs and Sairs.

Shads are pretty pogs at literally everything, and now their single DPS is really good too.
    - Shad becomes sed mule in HT, PARTYLESS and doesnt die the entire run at all
    - Shads also do not need to HP wash, they CHOOSE too, technically Meso Guard already cuts their damage received in half, I know atleast 5 shads who has had 4 base int , and can run every boss out there, using the essential HP gear given out from ML content (of course when HB comes to play, but lets be real, when would you not have a DK on a boss run, not everyone is heavily washed)

- Shifter is 40% and not 30% (tbh why is this?)

- iirc , Heroes do more dmg than a DK , especially if a DK cannot stay under zerk threshold ( You'd have to spend hella mesos/pots to literally stay under zerking all the time),
    -remember when you bstep you have iframes, so the whole high level avoid / 40% shifter / iframe bstep, you will barely get hit/touched, (Stance is lowkey meme but when it works, it works)

It sucks when there are new players who want to play a bandit or shad , and everyone else is just like "that class sucks in damage" , so they move to a NL or other class, when in reality 2nd job/3rd job bandits looks fun as hell.

• Like Like x 1
  16. OP
    OP
    Blu301

Blu301 Pac Pinky

May 20, 2019
    Male
    East Coast, USA
    Blu301
    Shadower
    Summer
    Wow, AlyoshaAlyosha fishymeepfishymeep SelquinSelquin thank yall for the thorough replies. Yeah I kind of thought after I posted the last comment that it's just too much ignorant anecdotalness without enough data to back up but it was too late haha

Gonna try a longer DPM test at HT soon, for some reason I never remember to do it but am curious myself.

At the end of the day you're right Eij, didn't mean to imply DPM is everything or complain about a lack of satisfaction with the buffs or something along those lines. I only meant to respond to the point that we should be nerfed because the buff was OP. My apologies, just got caught up in it. I'm super happy with the buff of course and definitely enjoy playing shad more than anything, even before we were blessed with it. Hope more people start to discover the same MapleF11

• Creative Creative x 1
  17. HappyFestus

HappyFestus Master Chronos

Jul 2, 2017
    Shadower
    (I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU SAID POGS SMH)

melee class, dagger range is smaller than that of a warrior, not much hp (esp when taken in consideration of the original, no-wash server), and obviously less dpm than their NL counterparts. Gotta think of things in the original context.

That's probably because they want to do damage.

The Hell levels.

Write a DK thread buddy i'll support u

• Like Like x 1
  18. aaronis

aaronis Slimy

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Shadower
    Beaters
    If we're gonna nerf a class can we please nerf night lords first as someone who plays both, night lords are more fun and are INSANELY OP(like not only with damage but cmon 50% bonus attack duration is CRAZY). As for assasinate these changes are really nice, but doesn't elevate to shadowers as super insane imo because it only helps their single target. Like shadowers do only slightly less single target than warriors in my experience DPM testing, but for cleave (outside of horntail) its a decent amount lower because heroes and DKs use their main attacking skill always while when shadowers cleave they have to use boomerand step only which has significantly lower damage than putting assasinate in your macro (like 2mil or so dpm lower for 1 target comparing bstep to bstep nate combo/darksight nate combo). Shadowers are really strong at horntail, but that's only one boss which is extremely late game and honestly it only matters once you start doing 6 mans, which most people won't let you in until you're really high level. In 12 mans your DPM really doesn't matter that much.
    In regards to grinding I got around 70mil EPH when gridning and i found that melee classes grinding with me got similar numbers (paladins specifically get some swole EXP) and saying they're second best in grinding compared to mages is slightly misleading since mages can get upwards of 100million exp per hour so the difference between 1 and 2 is a lot bigger than shadowers and all the other melee classes.
    For survivability shadowers do have a lot but you also have to take into account that we are at risk of getting dispelled, while warriors do not have that issue. (we do trade that for not being able to get 1/1'd which is huge so its all just tradeoffs) To summarize, as someone who likes doing a lot of content it is really nice being not literally garbage at everything that's horntail now so yea really nice changes. (I made a night lord specifically because it was so frustrating how garbage shadower single target damage was for a long time) If changes should be made to weaken shadowers they should be to taunt (which did get bug fixed/nerfed recently) or meso guard (making it cost more mesos), or boomerang step (by decreasing stun change), not assasinate in my opinion.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  19. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    [​IMG]

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. aaronis

aaronis Slimy

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Shadower
    Beaters
    Since heroes were mentioned I hope this isn't off topic, but I feel like their damage is fine. However, their utility is kinda meh since rage is really useless due to party bears being in cash shop giving 20 attack, so maybe they need some love in buffing rage, deleting cash shop attack buffs, or buffing enrage like concentrate got buffed. Also since a bunch of bugs are getting fixed I hope one day the shadow star bug will be fixed if possible :D. (Also off topic but shoutout to MMs they deserve some love)

• Agree Agree x 3