1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Rework of Prestigious Coin massive tax free currency nature

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Toon, Aug 30, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Subterlabor

Subterlabor Nightshadow

Mar 13, 2023
    6:48 AM
    SweatLord
    Bowmaster
    Toilet
    At this point I think people need to ask themselves how much of the core game are you willing to sacrifice just to keep farming. So long as the farmers continue everyone else will pay for it while the farmers are largely unaffected. It's only time until arrow rain farmers or some obscure archer farming starts turning up and Bowmasters take the next hit. It's a sad circle jerk of bandaid patches to that follows them around to try to stop the issue at its core.

2. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    7:48 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    much of that is a belief, but humans respond to incentives.

3. Subterlabor

Subterlabor Nightshadow

Mar 13, 2023
    SweatLord
    Bowmaster
    Toilet
    I can't say I wouldn't if I had the same resources.

4. RemiIia

RemiIia Mr. Anchor

Jan 25, 2019
    Female
    5:48 AM
    ⚜RemiIia Scarlet⚜
    Night Lord
    ⚜Scarlet⚜
    may as well just wipe the server, fresh start for everybody

5. Jaewonnie

Jaewonnie Capt. Latanica

Apr 21, 2020
    Crimsonwood Mountain: Cavern of Pain
    8:48 AM
    PAWGChamp
    Buccaneer
    Can someone remind me again why a 10m tax rate even exists for exchanging coins into WS/CS? Is it just a random meso sink?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. kiwiz

kiwiz Skelegon

May 7, 2018
    8:48 PM
    Not suggesting this as the definitive solution, but one approach to taxing coins, akin to meso, is to levy a 2.5% deduction on the coins traded, rounded up to the nearest coin.

Examples:
    giver: 1 coin -> receiver: 0 coin MapleF1
    giver: 2 coins -> receiver: 1 coin
    giver: 40 coins -> receiver: 39 coins
    giver: 41 coins -> receiver: 39 coins (41 x 0.025 = 1.025, rounded up to 2)
    giver: 80 coins -> receiver: 78 coins
    giver: 81 coins -> receiver: 78 coins (81 x 0.025 = 2.025, rounded up to 3)​

In essence, 1 coin would be taxed to each batch of 40 coins or less, discouraging direct trading of coins for items, especially for lower-value ones. Nevertheless, coins can still be bought or sold with meso through stores, unaffected by the taxation of coins.

However, this could impact boss splits that distribute coins. The alternative would be to sell coin pouches for meso and then split the meso to mitigate losses, even though it would result in meso being taxed twice. Despite this, meso would still be preferred over coins in this case.

EDIT: I just thought of a workaround on how players can still trade coins, by selling them in a store at 1 meso to avoid the taxation of coins. In that case, some sort of taxation would have to be implemented on store transactions as well.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2023
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    7:48 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    a lot of the old balance changes has a stated goal to reduce inequality, but i'm guessing by taxing the poor

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Inb4 some stupid coin tax gets implemented and end game economy gets handled entirely through off-game bank transactions instead.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    I mean this is literally what would happen

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Yep, and taxless transactions drive movement. More taxes at every level only gum up the market.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    8:48 PM
    we might end up trading in apples?
    then apples get taxed?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. TermiteLover

TermiteLover Brown Teddy

Nov 8, 2021
    12:48 AM
    Guildless
    I wouldn't mind the taxes if they didn't waste it on silly projects.. Where are our tax dollars going, and why is the maple transport system in such disrepair

• Great Work Great Work x 2
  13. Subterlabor

Subterlabor Nightshadow

Mar 13, 2023
    SweatLord
    Bowmaster
    Toilet
    If people cant handle being taxed at the rate of everyone else in the game without resorting to RWT they shouldn't be in the game anyways

• Creative Creative x 1
  14. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    2:48 PM
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    I don't think he was referring to RWT, a lot of transactions are already going through banks that mainly get set up for PB runs.

15. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    9:48 AM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    imagine that you are a casual single player, lv 12-13x who plays pap, rav duo and has to split the coins, it will affect these people much more than the high levels who can hoard their own pouch, buy service for tradable items, or hoard anything else..

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. RemiIia

RemiIia Mr. Anchor

Jan 25, 2019
    Female
    ⚜RemiIia Scarlet⚜
    Night Lord
    ⚜Scarlet⚜
    default the current existing stockpiles of p-coins rendering them untradeable, and let the players convert them to cs/ws or else they expire from inventory.
    make those cs/ws unconvertible to pouches.

Moving forward, make the new pcoins from pouches untradeable after they've been traded once

17. fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    9:48 AM
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    at least those transactions outside of the game on banks are just a part of it that we can't control, and usually are big transactions. you don't ask your bank leader to buy you apples for your run (i used to do when Skarmory was around, actually). nowadays people are literally buying scrolls with prestigious coins.

so what? that's the game. mesos weren't supposed to be traded without taxes. and you actually can solve this problem without necessarily splitting coins with taxes

that's a good point, i don't know. need to think about this.

18. WackyWarlock

WackyWarlock Stone Golem

Mar 21, 2017
    Male
    8:48 AM
    WackyWarlock
    Bishop
    All of them
    Before coins were introduced people would pay for high value items with cs/ws to avoid tax. Coins only made it easier to split. If you introduce taxes to them people will just start trading with other currency that isn't taxed (like apples).

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Yeah, so players who don't need pcoins will strictly deal with transactions that involve tax (mesos, pcoins) while those who have access to large pools of mesos can just keep hoarding and continue transacting tax-free through their banks. Great system.

Tax in this game is a bogeyman. It doesn't need to exist. It doesn't pay for roads or education. It's just a way to drain mesos out of a meso-positive economy because they can magically materialize whenever someone presses a button. Being able to buy scrolls with either mesos or prestigious coins is a good thing. Fungibility is a good thing that spurs economic activity. Sellers always have the option to transact in mesos, but most sellers choose coins because of the positive benefits for them. Whenever I buy stuff, I usually give the seller two options - a lower meso value or a slightly higher coin value. Most people I've dealt with choose coins. Coins are a store of value that will never depreciate its utility, whereas mesos will always return a lesser value due to tax and can depreciate over time due to the inflationary system we are in.

• Agree Agree x 5
  20. RemiIia

RemiIia Mr. Anchor

Jan 25, 2019
    Female
    ⚜RemiIia Scarlet⚜
    Night Lord
    ⚜Scarlet⚜
    >le taxes
    >lémao, I don't care about that.

the new system locks the traded pcoins to who ever receives them, you can not retrade it afterward.
    effectively changing the function of the shop slightly. but to have this work, we have to allow exchanges of ws/cs into pouches if ONLY they originate from gachapon.