1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Shadowers...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bad Bunny, May 16, 2019.

1. Bad Bunny

Bad Bunny Mano

May 16, 2019
    4:51 PM
    Hello everyone! So i'm making this post to state my general opinion about the class and see how everyone else feels about the class and it's current state.

So shadowers is a class that generally speaking is recognized for their mobbing capabilities and smokescreen which provides utility in bossing situations. Although their mobbing capabilities are very good, I feel like their lack of bossing capabilities (mainly 1v1 damage) just draws them back too much as a class. Shadowers even with nearly perfect gear can't do decent 1v1 damage which i'd argue is unfair considering shadowers are probably the hardest class to fund in the game considering you need to work on the items that every other class has to plus 3 main stats and a shield which is very rare and expensive and so are the shield scrolls.

One might argue that their "good" mobbing capabilities overcome lack of damage in a bossing situation but I definitely disagree. Lets proceed to compare the classes Dark Knight and Shadower because I think this comparison might help put things in perspective. Dark knights have arguably the most important party skill in the game (Hyper body), When they are well geared their 1v1 dmg is actually very good (Yes, this is a fact. A well geared dark knight fully buffed is actually very strong and can even surprass hero in the SI+SE situation, damage tests have proven this), Their cleaving damage is very good, their training speed is very good (Maybe not as good as shadower but definitely super close), They are good farming low and medium level mobs by using roar and fury. With this being said., lets briefly compare to that to what shadower has to offer. Similar training speed where shadower is probably faster but not by a huge margin, Significantly lower 1v1 damage, Worse cleaving yet probably not by a super big margin (even if shadowers hit 4 parts it's less damage and there are less sitautions where you hit 4 body parts), lacks a key party buff, and they are probably similar in the farming department. When it comes to survability shadowers have super high avoid and mesoguard while a washed dark has 16500 hp to work with to zerk so they both can survive pretty well.
    You could also compare them to hero and it's a similar comparison.

So with all this being said i'd like to point that I personally believe shadowers need some love in the 1v1 aspect since besides mages it currently is the lowest damaging class without any huge unique benefit making it a worthwhile tradeoff since yes they train fast but so do the warriors and they still have way better damage and in the case of Darks a core buff. I just think it's unfair how the hardest class to fund, no matter how good your gear is your 1v1 damage won't be at a decent spot anyway. I believe aaronis stated in a post his 1v1 dmg at lvl 194 is 4.1m and his cleaving 3m per body part. I've seen lvl 140s darks do similar 1v1 dmg with average gear which just shows how lacking the class in the department which is arguably one of the "end game goals" of maplestory, to boss.

Let me know what you guys think about the matter I'm curious about everyone's opinion and perhaps maybe someone can change my mind about my perspective.

2. thugric

thugric Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

May 10, 2017
    Male
    7:51 PM
    TaxDog
    Marksman
    Beaters
    I agree (and am on your side in this), but gonna have to play the evil villain here so we can make discussion in the context of shadowers in bossing.

Let's talk their other traits that make them pre good in bossing. They got:
    • iframes (where they are invincible for a brief period of time every time they use boomerang step)
    • meso guard (where they take 50% damage IIRC)
    • shadow shifter (where they can avoid approx 40% of attack before considering avoidability)
    • Chakra (i guess lmao)
    • smokescreen (where they don't take damage for a min straight every, presumably every 10 minutes.)

With these traits, shadowers are able to save a lllllllloooooooooooooootttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt of potion money as they barely get hit; and even if they do, it would be at half the damage. This is an amazing trait that other classes don't have. When it comes to mesos, most jobs will spend arguably few mil in potions every boss run (like HT, BGA, Neo Tokyo, Toad) and this does not include the apples & stews while shadowers instead will have more spending money from lower pot consumption. If my argument is wrong because shadower's don't even get selected in bossing as often, then that means they can make just as much money training (with mob and gacha drops). So therefore I'm entire not sure if I agree about shadowers being underfunded

Cleaving comparison between heros dk's and shadowers is a lil tough; like you said, the differences aren't substantial. Shadowers can cleave against 4 mobs, DK's 3, and hero's 2 (Edit: 3 not 2). Different advantages in each bossing situation. Hero's cleave best with HT wing and arm (edit: and head), DK's can cleave head wing and arm sometimes, and shadowers can cleave two heads wing and arm (If they jump). IMO a each job has different advantages and disadvantages when in comes to cleaving for bosses.

BUT MY OVERARCHING QUESTION is this: We all agree that shadowers have really bad 1v1 damage, are the perks of a shadower enough to outweigh the damage weaknesses they have? You tell me.

People like to talk a lot about damage. I get it; but damage isn't everything. I'm gonna make an analogy with big damage = big weiner. Yes having a big weiner is favourable, but it's not mandatory for guys to have. Guys can share many other good traits while they might have a small weiner. In this context, shadowers may be "small weinered" (lmao dkm please), but they have many iconic other things that make them attractive. Not everyone cares about those with big weiners, so there's hope for you too shadowers.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Siao

Siao Headless Horseman Retired Staff

Jul 15, 2017
    Female
    7:51 AM
    (Saying this completely from a Shadower's POV since I am one myself)

While I agree with what you said about the damage between 1v1, the more pressing question is are there more cons than pros to this job?

Now, besides our pathetic dpm as compared to other classes, we can't forgo the fact that Shadower is in fact a very flashy class with many other perks. Putting dpm aside, like what Eric mentioned previously, we can't ignore the fact that we have high avoidability, iframes, smokescreen and other mobbing skills. Shadower is one of the classes where we can easily switch around from one skill to another, as compared to other classes while they hold on to one skill button and mindlessly hit whatever they are hitting. True enough when it comes to major bosses, Shadowers don't get selected as often if the party is purely seeking out dpms only. However there are in fact quite a few parties that do not mind having a Shadower in their team due to smokescreen (which is rather OP I would say). Fortunately I myself found a decent squad that doesn't mind me and we work just fine. As far as I know, it seems like the only concern here regarding this class is.. dpm? I've heard many feedbacks regarding Shadowers and so far it seems like people are just unsatisfied with the damage output only. Sure, if our main attacking skills are slightly buff'd it'll be very very nice we can't have best of both worlds. If you want to be versatile, you have to forgo OP damage. If you want OP damage, go for classes which can give you one.

To be honest I don't exactly enjoy being one of the lowest dpm class and it's sad to see my damage like this despite how much I try to improve, but when I think about other perks that Shadowers have that other classes don't, it feels more balanced then. I've recently come to terms with this, and besides, could you think of any classes that die in the middle of Zak's body and walk out like a piece of cake after resurrection and survived? (Besides NLs) I did, more than once and it felt great.

4. OP
    OP
    Bad Bunny

Bad Bunny Mano

May 16, 2019
    I totally agree that shadowers have a lot of tools that make them a good class overall but i feel like the one thing they are bad at is one of the most important features of an mmorpg in general which is raid bossing. I definitely agree with you that the pros outweight the cons but that applies to many other classes that have been buffed in the past like bowmasters whom provide good 1v1 dmg and the most important skill for NL which is the most sought out class and they got a buff (10% crit) which is pretty significant (also a slight buff in their mobbing recenty on AR). Darks have pros that outweight cons yet zerk was QoL buffed making the threshold more forgiving and thus making it easier to matain a 100% zerk time. Heroes have always been a good class and they got rage buffed to a point where it is useful specially in bosses like zakum because there isnt a need to apple. And i know shad got the bstep delay buff and hill restriction but without those the class would just be unplayable. Like i said i agree with you shads are definitely a class full of pros, but maybe making the 1v1 damage a bit more acceptable so that you dont get outdamaged by a person you have 50 lvls on sounds a bit reasonable imo even though the class is overall solid.

• Like Like x 2
  5. OP
    OP
    Bad Bunny

Bad Bunny Mano

May 16, 2019
    Also yeah i didnt mean to state that shads were underfunded by any means, i definitely believe they are capable of racking up money and profiting but even then after investing all that money in gear you still do no damage!!! Yikess!! Obviously exagerating but yeah you save pot money!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Althariisa

Althariisa Slimy

Jul 17, 2018
    Female
    8:51 PM
    Tauriel
    Dark Knight
    Honor
    Lemme correct this point... Hero can cleave 3 instead of 2.

• Like Like x 1
  7. aaronis

aaronis Slimy

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Shadower
    Beaters
    Some things that don't really matter but, heroes hit 3 targets not two, and its not like shadowers use less potions matters much do to taking half damage since they lose mesos proportionate to how much damage they take so yea. Honestly if shadowers iframes and smoke and meso guard are too broken why don't they just get nerfed in that regard in exchange for more damage on assasinate. Shifter could be nerfed to 30 percent. Right now the way meso guard works is that for every 100 damage you take you lose 78 mesos (the most popular flat potion is barbarian elixirs which heal a 100:100 ratio and honsters heal 60 percent of your hp for 2800 mesos). A way that can be nerfed so shadowers use more mesos at bosses, without sacrificing their survivability could be to make meso guard take up 200 mesos for every 100 hp you lose! As soneone who has done literally every content in the game honrtail is just one boss and being honestly trash at every other boss (well honestly shadowers are decent at cwkpq) is a bit silly since they're supposed to be an attacker class. If boomerang step could only hit 3 targets, but did more damage I'd honestly also be fine with that. If staff doesn't want to touch the damage at all honestly some quality of life stuff like meso guard being longer duratoin or smoke being 30 seconds long but a 5 minute cooldown (instead of 1 minute and 10 minutes) to give it more utiltiy would be exciting. Pickpocket could have a higher cap, or make it work with meso up?, band of thieves could be buffed, chakra could made instant and used any time, double stab could be buffed. Ninja ambush could be made into an actual useful skill, venemous stab could work at bosses (its maxed at 190, and provides a lil bit of damage per second but it would need to be reworked to have a damage cap and I honestly don't know if this is possible).
    In order of which buff would be the best for shadowers in my opinion
    1. assasinate damage ratio, but a lower cap so the max charge assasiante isn't too broken
    2. smoke duration rework to give it more uptime but less duration (it'd effectively be the same but give it more utility which is nice, since shadowers are supposed to have really nice utility!)
    2.venemous stab
    3. boomerang stab damage (I think it'd be the best buff but this skill is already really good IMO so buffing it is a lot)
    4.ninja ambush???
    5.Bot/Double stab (honestly double stab is such a trash skill in comparison to lucky 7 and theres literally 0 reason to get it over lucky 7)
    Honestly I don't think shadowers are in such a trash state to require buffs, but when literally every other class has gotten a buff, yet shadowers (and nightlords but cmon those guys are broken, i say this as someone who has a 4th job NL) are left untouched, which kind of sucks. Buccaneers got buffs to 4 different skills that are important to 4th job bossing and another random buff to a 2nd job skill, yet it's not like they were in an absolute awful and unplayable state and is in addition to all these changes from last summer.
    upload_2019-5-15_22-39-13.png

One thing I also find weird is that shadowers got a buff to assasinate in 2018 summer, or at least an attempted buff that eventually got reverted because it actually ended up nerfing assasinate, but now they are too good to buff?
    upload_2019-5-15_22-43-48.png

upload_2019-5-15_22-44-38.png

Despite these changes being reverted there were no further buffs or changes to assassinate which is what the thing that makes me the most upset but it is what it is.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
  8. OP
    OP
    Bad Bunny

Bad Bunny Mano

May 16, 2019
    Definitely man i couldnt agree more. Funny enough it would actually take a shit ton of buffs to even make shadowers like super good damage wise. Evidence? Mapleroyals. They buffed bstep to 600% and removed charge mechanic on nate and made it 900% dmg on cast and guess what? Shadowers were below heroes and darks 1v1 dmg still even after those HUGE buffs. That comes to show that tweaking %s around a bit on shadowers to test isnt that scary since it would take drastic measures to make make them overpowered. Even if half the buffs MR added are implemented they would still remain in the same position they are just not as far below.

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. Precel

Precel Zakum Retired Staff

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    7:51 PM
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit
    One of the reasons - besides what Siao and Eric expressed already - why Shadower wasn't changed much in last balance patch was because a lot of suggestions regarding Shadower were either impossible to implement or required more time to investigate.

Unfortunately, Shadowers are not the only classes we have to look at, plus we've constantly fixing bugs since the huge update. Not to mention the usual "staffs have other real life responsibilities".

While we consider these suggestions valuable, please be patient with us. I can promise that we are trying to progress, not degress.

10. Fishy

Fishy Skelegon Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2017
    Male
    Eiji
    Dark Knight
    Beaters
    Maple0019.jpg

Snowman has big weiner... so hes different compared other people (classes) , hes not one of us (small weiners) , we are the same.

• Creative Creative x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Rockler

Rockler Mixed Golem

Jan 8, 2016
    Male
    Sweden
    1:51 AM
    Nude
    Night Lord
    Scamure
    Something that should be fixed for sure is why assassinate cant crit from SE. Seems kinda dumb that it cant crit when its the main dmg skill :confused:

• Like Like x 2
  12. itzjaheezy

itzjaheezy Chronos

Sep 6, 2017
    Male
    Gitsniks
    Paladin
    Hazel
    IMO definitely no. As someone that doesn't care about damage (blood washed over 300 AP, still went bossing, and before I even got HH 20 or 30) AND brings any class to my boss after I have a NL and BM/MM. (I've also duo grinded with pretty much every class in the game as well)

Being self sufficient and sub par is not good enough in a private server setting where everyone else can do the same thing just as well or better.

The reason why I believe this is because all the "Pros" for shadower was when Maplestory's old "meta" was strictly grinding. While bossing was meant to get the "best in slot" gear instead of doing it for exp. So the "Cons" of a shadower isn't as glaring as it was before. The whole saving potions and being good at surviving was good BEFORE when everyone was forced to grind. Which makes everything you advocated for makes sense on why they are really good. (which is 100% true and not wrong)

BUT! This is a private server with an established "meta" where hp washing and bossing are as prominent as ever, meaning other classes's weaknesses that was previously in favor for shadower in the older "meta" are completely evened out, if not nullified. You can argue that all the "Pros" aren't a "Pro" for just shadowers.

Some examples:
    - If any class has at least 10k+ hp because of how HP washing is such a big thing on a Pre-BB Server its pretty much compare able to a shadower's mesoguard and shifter. (you can even say you save money on potions to an extent and yes its not 100% like a shadower but its pretty much saving more mesos than someone that wasn't washed in the early days of maplestory)

- Grinding on any class is just as fast and safe as a shadower. Like HH > Rush, Rush/Monster Magnent > Cleave, Hold huricane, Ninja storm > TT etc.

- Smokescreen is a luxury. It is absolutely a fantastic party skill/buff but Hyper Body, Holy Symbol, Time Leap(speed infusion included ;D), Sharp Eyes are mandatory and more flexible all the while those classes can provide extra OOMPH to killing a boss. Less time being spent in a boss run means less fiesta situations where you actually need to use Smokescreen for a Resurrect or Mass Seduce issue. Meaning it CAN be a liability to have a shadower because of lack of DPS. (Theoretically)

I feel like a simple small damage buff or quality of skill changes to their abilities in general on Assassinate, Band of Thieves, Boomerang Step and more could have easily quelled some complaints. While you do work on a future BIG buff in the future to keep the people that play the class happy and hopeful. I understand that these things won't magically happen immediately because of multiple of reasons such as real life, technical issues, and maybe class niche but little incremental buffs will go a long way.

I'm just tired of shadowers being meme'd on and they deserve some sort of love :^(

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Great Work Great Work x 3
  13. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    I think if you make shadower venom work on bosses, this could help the shadowers out a lot in the 1v1 DPS department. I also do not think it would be a very hard change to make.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Althariisa

Althariisa Slimy

Jul 17, 2018
    Female
    8:51 PM
    Tauriel
    Dark Knight
    Honor
    I wanna play a shadower now

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    5:51 PM
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    I don't think anyone expects shadowers to be buffed to the point where they can compete with top dpm classes damage wise (that would be far too broken), but the gap between the single target dpm of shadower and the other attacker classes is comical.
    NLs and archers can get 10m+ dpm endgame, heroes and pallies can get up to around ~8m(not including cleave damage), while shadowers struggle to break 5m dpm with even the best gear + high level. While I agree that shadowers do have a lot of legitimate advantages, I think this is probably a bit too much.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. OP
    OP
    Bad Bunny

Bad Bunny Mano

May 16, 2019
    Well said skar, the DPM gap is just too big and it doesnt make that much sense when many classes have similar pros (warrios) except the high avoid but having higher HP means % pots are more effective so high hp saves money too. I personally think a huge part of shads weakness is the dagger formula and how little attack does for shads yet i dont think a substantial amount should be added because there is a chance for op but if atleast having good gear counted as something even if skills suck atleast well geared shads would do decent damage

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Siao

Siao Headless Horseman Retired Staff

Jul 15, 2017
    Female
    7:51 AM
    We are not forgetting what shads are lacking off, and definitely not ignoring what can be done to make shads appear more desirable and less like a memes. I agree we do have lack of buff and adjustment for shads during previous balancing so for the next skill balancing we will definitely look into everyone's suggestions :)

• Like Like x 4
  18. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    I trust that Legends staff will bring buffs to Shadower. Even if it seems like Shadowers are hopeless, I trust Legends staff to make good judgements around balance and buff Shadowers when the time comes.

19. Hyuga

Hyuga Mr. Anchor

Apr 23, 2015
    Female
    12:51 AM
    Proud leader of Aeon
    I dont remember my dmg but it wasnt THAT bad, it's a fun class regardless and do really well in bosses that have cleave potential. My total DPM was higher than the best geared NLs in HT back in the day from cleaving. Shadowers also have the highest EPM out of all the non-mage classes whilst grinding, so its best to figure out the pros and cons of a class rather than focus on the "dpm vs 1 target meta" mindset.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. OP
    OP
    Bad Bunny

Bad Bunny Mano

May 16, 2019
    I mean maybe you don't think it was that bad because at the time where you had literally insanely perfect gear all the NLs were still hard washing with a lot of base int and so on so shads damage wasn't as bad in a relative comparison. Now tools as ring exist and insane int gear is available so most NLs can make it worth without high base int. That aside i do agree shads are good cleavers but as aaronis stated, that is only a small portion of boss runs. Good zak runs take around 30 mins and maybe 7-10 is in the arms stage. Not sure about HT but from what i've read from fellow shads you only cleave 4 parts for a short time of the run. Also take into account most of the bosses don't have multiple parts. Anyway, i never argued against the points you stated i totally agree with you but just as shadowers can gain very good exp, so can warriors and perhaps buccs (not as good obviously) and all of them offering more damage and in the case of darks and buccs important skills. I'm pretty sure a strong dark knight at floor 7 with enough accuracy can gain exp comparable to that of shads because they'd kill faster and attack faster while offering more 1v1 damage, more cleave damage and HB as a class in general. So my point is other classes share the pros shadowers have while having more damage which is arguably the most "important" aspect of maple.

Honestly i just feel like the main aspect lacking of shadower is their low weapon multiplier (The lowest amongst meele attackers) currently it's a 3.6 while one handed swords are at 4.0 and both have the benefits of shield and even if Dkhanjar has base attack, it requires a third base stat for shadowers to wield so it sort of evens out. I think buffing the multiplier a bit so well geared shadowers benefit from investing into attack would be a good way to go about it whilst make assassinate a bit more viable.

• Like Like x 1