1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestion to Reduce Leech Dependency

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Jesseaw, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Jesseaw

Jesseaw Orange Mushroom

Nov 25, 2020
    Male
    6:34 AM
    TheMagicStik
    Beginner
    So the problems in ML are complex and there is much discussion about washing, leeching, and class imbalance.

One of the problems that I rarely see addressed is the absolute disparity between certain classes ability to level efficiently. It's kind of just broadly accepted that mages are the fast leveling class, certain classes can level fast in certain areas and that bossing classes like Assassins are pretty much the bottom and must leech to stay competitive.

I feel like there is a simple solution for this and it's buffing the ability for some of these single target classes to find and level primarily through bossing.

My proposition is that certain area bosses like Mano, Mushmom, Jr Balrog, HH, etc get retuned to be exp farmable. What I mean by this is that there EXP and Spawn rate should be significantly increased to the point that its almost comparable to what any cleric can do in GS2 and then ofc to counter balance this we reduce the drop rate proportionately and likely increase hp slightly to retain challenge in these bosses.

• Disagree Disagree x 7
  2. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    10:34 PM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    I think its an interesting suggestion, but I foresee a few issues:
    1. This pretty much buffs EXP gain for a few number of players. With any area boss with respawn timers, they are usually managed by a small group of people. The average player, either has to get really lucky to stumble across one, or get it right after server maintenance.
    2. These bosses are already highly contested, usually because of their drops or monster book cards. Making them a notable source of EXP, would just increase the demand, while the supply (because of the # of channels and respawn timer) remains the same.
    3. Making the exp comparable to what you get as a cleric training GS2 is pretty inconsequential, as any party play at that level at MP3, gets comparable EXP for non-clerics.
    4. The biggest "leech" levels are around 105-135. The cusp of hitting 4th job, when previous EXP sources become slow, but you're not strong enough for post 4th job areas like petris, skele, shaolin. Buffing the area bosses that you mentioned, doesn't help alleviate the leech-centricness at these levels.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Shivering

Shivering Wolfspider

Mar 9, 2018
    Shivering
    I/L Arch Mage
    If you just buff exp gains for non-mage classes you also now have an imbalance problems where classes lack identities. For example, with your suggestion now that single target classes are easy to farm EXP on where does that leave mages who now have no advantage in grinding speed and are left with very poor single target DPS abilities?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    1) I think single target classes like archers, and assassins benefit a ton from additional mobility while training. Currently on my 163 BM, there's almost nothing I can kill with hurricane that gets me over 20m eph. Even petri, ToT and shaolin only gives like ~15m eph (something most cleave classes can achieve really early on). One thing staff has done to address this is to give more non-leeching maps additional teleports (like deep ludi and eventually ToT).

2) Most BMs/NLs will do BF/samu/anego for exp. However this is not a stable source of exp because of its 8-12 hour respawn timer. Most samu and anego timers are kept religiously by some guilds (honestly the map camping / sniping culture there is kinda toxic). It's also hard to really gauge the true eph of bigfoot (the best single target exp source) because of the time it takes to search for them. One time I had my 19X BM friend track how much total exp from BFs at reset on stew. Even with quick <5 minute kills it was like 55m eph, which is how much mediocre cleaves get at 7F starting at 14X. I think reducing BF timers by half wouldn't break the game too much. It's a bit harder for anego/samu/crow because they have good drops.

• Like Like x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    Jesseaw

Jesseaw Orange Mushroom

Nov 25, 2020
    Male
    TheMagicStik
    Beginner
    Well let me try to be more explicit in my intentions. In Maplestory there are essentially 3 ways to level efficiently; PQ (which is dead at many levels), having a character that can hit 5+ mobs at one of the sweet spots in the game, and buying leech. I disagree that leech is only big at 105+, GS2 is like the most contested map in the game as far as I can tell and there are busy leech spots for lower levels and higher levels.

What I would like to do is add a 4th dynamic to the leveling system that just isnt represented and that is the single target farm for exp. I think the solution is to target the area bosses in the game like the ones I listed and more and do the following.

1. Increase spawn rate to be more in line with regular mobs, I'm saying instead of hours to 5-10 minutes.
    2. Increase the amount of exp gained from this boss and combined with downtime mobbing make the exp similar to meta farming spots like GS2 or whatever is popular at said level equivalent.
    3. Increase HP of certain bosses so that primarily single target characters actually have an advantage over multitarget classes that still have passable single target.
    4. Reduce drop rates on bosses proportionate to increased spawn rates.

I got this idea from another thread talking about nerfing leeching spots or adding more channels and Kimmy said that she would rather buff alternate spots to balance traffic and was looking for suggestions.

I don't think this ruins class identity as others have implied, Bishop/AM leech will still be supreme, this will just be an alternate for solo players. Mages will still have the edge in every type of harvesting of resources, but a level 70 Hermit might be able to farm exp as efficiently as a level 55 Cleric at GS2.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. xiaoyaoz

xiaoyaoz Balance Team Staff Member Balance Team

Jul 17, 2020
    Male
    2:34 PM
    Isn't this best executed with the boss pq from summer event? (Maybe with some exp tuning and making it drop nothing including no card)
    This will pretty much ensure all player gets a chance on getting the exp.
    And to have it limited by 2 runs a day will keep it in line with other post lv130 bosses like zak/jc/krex.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    9:34 AM
    DMsRebirth
    The problem is you're trying to grind with Hurricane which is inefficient. You should be spamming Arrow Rain in either Forest of Towers (solo only) or 7F, where you should be able to make at least 30m eph solo, and probably close to 50m duoing at 7F.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    Oh yeah, ofc AR is going to be better at shaolin, but just wanted to give a comparison for single target eph to compare.

9. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    I don't think there's that much disparity in eph in early levels (before level 100). From my time leveling up my MU and HS mules without leech, gs2 is about 1.2-2.2m eph solo for cleric (depends on gear and level), and mp3 with party on a sin is certainly around that level. Once to get to third job, all classes go to CDs until lvl 90ish, and the eph is similar across the board (except for DKs, which is higher). The biggest wall for single target eph is in late game, when other classes can cleave at shaolin.