1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

The reason why our ToS needs to change

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by fael, Jul 6, 2023.

1. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    2:44 AM
    idk, but 1~3mths is definitely too short for someone with 4 strikes. as for ALL or main, idk? i mean there are definitely players who got p-banned but came back thru various means right?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. OP
    OP
    fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    3:44 PM
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    Oh I just saw that. I actually think every harassment ban should be for ALL accounts. From my past experiences, I got ban on what you considered my main account which didn't hurt me since I wasn't playing on it mostly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    11:44 AM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Spreading of falsehoods is mostly taken care of by the no public call outs rule. With the current version of 3.3.3, you wish to take this a step further and prevent falsehoods from being spread privately between individuals or small groups.

While I do agree that spreading falsehoods about illegal activities such as what you mentioned is harmful, I do not trust staff to consistently deal with these issues in a fair / impartial manner. Furthermore, to what extent do falsehoods apply? Does spreading any false message apply for 3.3.3? What if a someone is spreading news about someone being a sexual predator or murderer with proof - would they still be subject to 3.3.3?

The very nature of harassment reports are such that you take a story from ONE SIDE and determine if this is ban worthy or not. If you think it is ban worthy, you do not even attempt to get the other side of the story, you just ban the other person and have them appeal from a disadvantageous position. You often do not reveal the evidence on what caused the person to get banned to protect the reporter, and this prevents the banned person from properly providing their side of the story. This is problematic because harassment issues are rarely black and white and often require nuance and perspective on the situation to understand.

If staff is intent on having maplelegends be surveillance legends, so be it. But at least let there be sufficient safeguards to prevent mistakes from nuking players accounts off the server - like removal of account ban for harassment offense.

Of course all of this doesn't even matter, given the last line of the ToS - you are free to moderate as you wish, but I believe this version of ToS will have some unpleasant effects on the server down the line.

Please note that the MapleLegends Staff has the right to use their discretion to ban you for any reason which they deem is abusive, disruptive, or otherwise has a negative impact on the server.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    3:44 AM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    The updated ToS is much more strict with the public call out rule actually. 3.3.4 requires:
    "An accusation that another player has violated our Terms of Services"
    In the aforementioned cases, it wouldn't fall under the 3.3.4 rule.

Not quite certain what you mean by "disadvantageous position". Harassment bans are silent, so their reputation would not have been affected. Once banned, if they are legitimately innocent or it was a genuine mistake, bans have been overturned. They will continue to be overturned if there is a strong enough case against the ban (from a factual standpoint or a ToS interpretation standpoint).

I'm not sure what case is making everyone say "EVIDENCE IS NEVER REVEALED" because evidence is revealed. Just not in its entirety. Especially for cases like boss abuse, bug abuse, it makes no sense for that all the information be revealed, as the reporter could be identified. Once identified, people will label them as a snitch and marignalize them all for doing the right thing (in most scenarios). Even when the evidence is partially revealed, you have players going on witch hunts trying to find out who the reporter was.

So while we don't and can't always provide 1:1 relaying of the submitted evidence, the important facts, context, and relevant messages are provided in majority of cases. In the cases they aren't, please escalate the issue to a supervisor in the ban appeal. That said, if the team believes all the relevant facts and information was presented properly, a supervisor may choose not to handle the appeal.

5. Luu

Luu Pac Pinky

May 15, 2021
    Male
    2:44 PM
    LuuBluum
    I/L Wizard
    I think the limitations put on 3.3.3 in that suggestion actually make it too weak? If that was adopted, then if I were to, say, start Discord DMing someone with some seriously awful stuff, that it would fall outside the purview of the rules.

I think it only makes sense to have that rewrite of 3.3.3, if 3.3.2 and 3.3.1 are made to not be limited to official ML communication platforms. I also agree that, if that were to be done, that it would then make more sense for 3.3.3 to not cap out with an outright permanent ban.

6. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on sending other people proven information someone is a murderer or sexual predator? Say I had like, a video of you admitting to murdering someone, or a news article of your conviction and sentencing in a sexual assault case. Is that still considered spreading falsehoods? Is that considered harassment, or legitimately warning other players of potential danger?

Edit: assuming your identity was already known, and this wasn’t considered doxing

Last edited: Jul 9, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Mageor

Mageor Mr. Anchor

Nov 11, 2020
    Male
    Mageor,rawrsaur
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Asylum
    What if we hung out and I took a video of you picking your nose? I spread it around to all my friends, meme it, add special effects to the video, until it one day it accidentally leaked out to the MapleLegends discord group?

It’s private, never intended for the public, just a fun activity with my friends. Never meant to hurt you or your reputation. Is this reasonable?

8. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    That’s not harassment.

9. Mageor

Mageor Mr. Anchor

Nov 11, 2020
    Male
    Mageor,rawrsaur
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Asylum
    Sorry made a small change. All this was supposed to be without your knowledge. If you still feel the same that’s fine too haha

10. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Still not harassment, imo.

either way, surely I don’t need to point out there’s a huge difference between spreading an embarrassing video versus warning others someone is a convicted and dangerous criminal.

11. Mageor

Mageor Mr. Anchor

Nov 11, 2020
    Male
    Mageor,rawrsaur
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Asylum
    what analogy are you making with someone who is a convicted and dangerous criminal and a player in MapleLegends? Seems very extreme for a video game.

P.s. just saw that you were responding to nise’s post. But in all honestly he was talking about falsehood while you’re talking about it being true. Very two different things with yours being a lot less likely and also being illegal.

12. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Extreme, maybe. But also not as unlikely as you would think. Is it considered harassment showing others an admission of guilt to an actual crime? That’s not a falsehood or rumor, it’s an actual truth.

also how is showing people news articles illegal

edit: I suppose this could be considered doxing, in hindsight. Okay say theoretically your identity was already known in the community.

13. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    3:44 AM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    I'd argue that it wouldn't fall under 3.3.3, if you're legitimately just trying to warn the other person. I do think the emphasis is on "falsehood" or something that isn't proven, and only being shared through word of mouth / malicious rumormilling.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Okay, cool, I think we’re agreed on that then.

15. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    1:44 PM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    but a fact doesn't have to be proven, or what is the bar to determine validity of proof?

• Like Like x 1
  16. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    3 separate MLA citations, at least one of which is a primary source

• Creative Creative x 1
  17. Signature

Signature Stone Golem

Apr 29, 2015
    Male
    Sweden
    8:44 PM
    Flamous
    Bishop
    So you are saying that if im trying to warn a person of a confirmed irl murderer in this 2003 mush game which has its identity known to the public (e.g. using the IGN:xxxImDaKillerxxx) to which I have gathered undeniable proof of said mapler committing such heinous acts and I share these proofs/articles due to my worry, I won't get a strike according to the 3.3.3 rule of the ToS?

This changes everything.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    1:44 PM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    i think as long as it's not on ML platforms it's fine; else it's probably covered by 3.3.1 or something like that

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    I think this is totally reasonable, however I think sexual harassment, stalking, and doxxing should be a separate offense. That behavior warrants a perma-ban on the first offense. I agree with others ITT that other forms of harassment should not necessarily lead to a perma-ban, though I understand simply not wanting to deal with a problematic player who has already been temp-banned three times. Maybe strikes should "expire" after six months without another strike or something like that.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  20. askalade

askalade Mano

Mar 12, 2018
    Male
    8:44 PM
    Boefje1337
    Assassin
    geez 19 pages of overreacting. I've been playing MapleLegends on and off for like 4/5 years now and i've not received 1 ban or strike yet. Mind you i am dutch as well and the way we talk is quite direct and sometimes considered rude or offensive to other cultures/nationalities. on top of that i've also got quite the dark humour and like to derp and clown a bit from time to time. Yet in all those 4/5 years of playing i haven't had a single strike or ban, isn't that saying enough already? I mean i'm not doing any hardcore runs either but i still socialize quite a bit and did my fair share of PQ's and stuff and never encountered any problems so imho there's rlly no problem with TOS or staff regulating/enforcing rules.

• Useful Useful x 1