1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Information [Release] Challenges System - HP Wash Alternative

Discussion in 'Update Notes' started by xiaoyaoz, Nov 2, 2023.

1. xiaoyaoz

xiaoyaoz Balance Team Staff Member Balance Team

Jul 17, 2020
    Male
    1:30 PM
    MapleLegends Challenges System

Hello everyone,

This thread will provide an introduction, the reasonings, and all the necessary information about our custom Challenge system, an alternative to HP washing mechanics.

If you would like to know more about the historical discussion, you can visit the Alpha and Beta thread.

「 Motivation 」

Requiring a new player to plan the health pool of their favourite old-times class, or forcing any player to include a "waiting time" in their gameplay while they amass currency to purchase AP Resets, does not feel like a fun and interactive feature for everyone.

At the same time, granting "free" extra health to classes, or including it in preexisting content like boss clears or party quests, felt to us like a missing opportunity to implement something completely new, custom and fresh.

These are the reasonings behind our implementation of this system.

「 The Challenges 」

The Challenge system is a set of unique questlines and tests, unlocked at specific level thresholds, that, when cleared, will grant the player the option to increase their health (and, for Magicians, their mana) pool.

At level 100, the player will be introduced to the system with a quest from our custom NPC called Rosa in Lith Harbor.
    Rosa will briefly explain the system, and offer the player their first set of challenges:
    • A custom questline, set in a specific game region, that includes a fleshed out storyline, custom assets, and potentially new quest mechanics to offer a seamless journey that provides players with a natural sense of progression.
    • A class-specific test, that will often focus on one of the main skills of the player's class, and that the player will have to complete with their job instructor.
    • A set of 8 optional challenges, each revolving around a single theme, from which the player will have to choose 3 to complete.

Every 10 levels, until level 180 inclusive is reached, a new set of Challenges will be available as a new Challenge tier. Each tier will be more difficult to clear.

「 Challenges browsing 」

Via the command !challenges , the player can view detailed information on their current challenges data.

The first page provides an overview of the current Challenges level, the progress on the main tier storyline, and the progress on the class-specific test.

The second page lists every currently-active optional challenge, one for each of the 8 types.
    • Only one optional challenge per type can be active at any given time.
    • By clicking on the challenge name, the player can switch between the available challenges for that specific type (one per tier).
    • Changing the active optional challenge will erase the current progress for that challenge type (unless it was already completed).
    • Remember: only the optional challenges of the same tier as your current Challenges level will count towards tier progression! The tier of each challenge is displayed on top of its description, in the list.

「 Rewards System 」

After completing a Challenge tier, Rosa will reward the player with the ability to claim permanent bonus max HP (and for mages MP).

The first time the player tries to redeem this prize, they will be presented with a quiz to ensure they understand the consequence of obtaining the HP reward from Challenge:
    • Base HP/MP is permanently increased to the specified amount below, and the character will be unable to spend ability points into HP/MP*.
      • This action is irreversible.
      • Regular HP washing will no longer be possible.
    *Please note that regular HP increase via level-up will still be obtained, and HP equipment can still be worn.

Below is a table of threshold that specific classes can obtained after completing certain tier.

HP/MP Thresholds
    TierLevelsMages (HP)Mages (MP)Warriors (HP)Bucc (HP)Shad (HP)Others (HP)

The thresholds refer to the HP/MP that you will reach if you were to claim the bonuses at the exact tier level. In other words, if you complete your Tier 1 challenges at level 110, your claimable bonus HP will be bigger than 1500, as the system takes into account the natural HP gain via level-up.

Rosa will provide you with information on the claimable bonus HP/MP tailored to your current class, level and HP/MP values.

「 Eligibility 」

The base HP/MP increase prize can only be redeemed if:
    • The player has no AP invested in their HP/MP pool;
      • If they have any, they can take them out via AP Resets in order to be eligible.
    • AND their HP is under a certain threshold.
      • The formula we used to calculate the HP eligibility is actually a bit more complicated than this, as it projects your HP to the next threshold level to see if you are eligible.
      • Mages are required to have their HP under the threshold even for MP claims.

「 Q&A 」
    1. What are these "challenges"?
      With "challenges", we mean tasks that require varying degrees of time and effort to complete. Some may promote interacting with other players, some may bring you to old places you never visited before. We aim to give the players a sense of progression through new content, towards later stages of their gameplay.

2. What is this "HP/MP AP locked" route?
      Upon first attempting to redeem the bonus HP/MP from Rosa, players will no longer be able to add or reset AP into HP/MP anymore.

3. Why are we locking AP into HP/MP?
      To prevent players from abusing the system for faster washing toward 30k HP characters.

4. Do the HP thresholds include HP from equips?
      No, the HP thresholds are the base max HP only. Characters may still be able to benefit from wearing HP equips to get more HP.

5. Why is the HP threshold chosen and limited in that way?
      The HP threshold choice was done in consideration of the appropriate HP a character should have for those levels, while keeping things challenging and inclusive of the skills that the job has. Hyper Body will also be needed for the hardest-hitting bosses in game.

6. I'm currently washing with INT, does this mean I'm ruined?
      No, you can still opt-in to the new system! But remember to remove all the AP from your HP/MP first.

7. I have washed my character, but I have lower HP than the HP threshold stated. Can I still opt-in?
      Yes, you can still opt-in; but the HP reward will be adjusted to match the HP threshold.

8. Can I do this challenge at level 200? And if so, will it affect the HP reward?
      Yes, you will be able to do the challenges: the HP reward per threshold will be based on a formula that includes your current HP, and what it was supposed to be at the appropriate challenge threshold level. For more information, we encourage you to check Rosa to know what you'll be getting exactly for completing each challenge threshold!

9. Is the old washing system gone?
      No! The old washing system will still be in place for those that want to get higher HP characters.

10. Can I still do the challenges to get more HP even if I'm over the HP threshold?
      Yes, you can still do the challenges, but it may not reward you more HP until the higher level challenge threshold. If you are above all the thresholds, then it simply won't reward you any more HP. Please talk with Rosa to know what will be rewarded exactly.

11. Why can only Mages get MP rewards?
      With how Magic Guard works for Mages, MP is basically part of a mage HP pool. Thus, we should see it as a whole, with proportionate reward to HP and MP so that they make sense with Magic Guard. Since Challenges aim to sidestep the entire washing topic for players, it only make sense to provide both HP and MP rewards for Mages.

12. Why do Mages get 30k MP but Warriors don't get 30k HP?
      For warriors, we would like to retain some meaning from HP equips. However, for Mages, this is not really practical as they get large amount of MP naturally across levels, easily surpassing what MP equips will provide. Besides, most Mages in-game already have close to 30k MP very early on in the game, so it's just more trouble than it's worth to preserve any sort of meaning from not rewarding 30k MP.

Thank you,
    The MapleLegends Team

• Great Work Great Work x 8
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. HarleyEllis

HarleyEllis Pac Pinky

Jan 3, 2021
    Female
    Philadelphia
    8:30 AM
    Harlez
    I/L Wizard, Shadower, Brawler, Outlaw
    Galaxy
    12k for beginners confirmed!

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Siegfried

Siegfried Master Chronos

Apr 21, 2017
    Male
    5:30 AM
    dk should have 30k hp.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. xjoeyx

xjoeyx Red Snail

Mar 2, 2021
    3:30 PM
    "AND their HP is under a certain threshold"
    may u please provide us more details regarding the certain threshold?

5. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    9:30 AM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    woooooah!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mirrors

Mirrors Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    Mirrors
    WeenieHutJrs
    Thank you staff for all the hard work you've put into the system. I know it took a long time to get here but I'm happy we have a high quality HP wash alternative with custom questlines that is well thought out and as balanced as it could be given the circumstances. Staff could've opted for a daily HP quest or something or the other but that would not have gotten rid of washing imo.

I'm very happy to see this system finally being released after a year of beta testing. Thank you to all the players that have participated in the beta test and reported bugs and suggestions.

Time to play ranged classes!!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. PreistestSky

PreistestSky Orange Mushroom

Jun 10, 2020
    Preistest
    Bishop
    thought out most certainly, they had a year to work on this. balanced, well we will see after launch. here is hoping it is exploit free.

regardless i am glad i can stop saving vote cash for ap resets now.

8. Magzys

Magzys Mano

Mar 5, 2018
    Male
    RejectedHero
    This makes me really happy on my Hero honestly. it allows me to completely APR everything into str and still leave me at about 26k+ at 142. If I'm doing the math right.
    Huge damage increase

9. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Now that this is underway, I propose a second leg of the Challenge System - the level 200 series of repeatable challenges that allow players to increase the HP of their level 200 characters slowly over time. This will resolve the following:
    • Challenge System players now have the option of slowly rebuilding their characters into end-game viability akin to the hyperwashed characters of long-time players. Being able move away from HB reliance is the goal.
    • Challenge System players will now have incentive to continue their 'dead-end' characters to completion (lvl 200) to unlock new ways to progress their characters.
    • Older level 200s now have ways to progress their otherwise dead-end characters.
    Glad to see this finally being released.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  10. PreistestSky

Jun 10, 2020
    Preistest
    Bishop
    if beginners realy can get 12k then playing beginner till 180 and then class changing to shadower would get you free 2k hp.

11. NoNick

NoNick Red Snail

Jul 23, 2022
    Male
    What if my HP is lower than the thresholds but my MP is High. I mean that I started MP wash and don’t steal the MP to HP yet?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chris

Chris Zakum Retired Staff

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    Can't job advance after level 29.

13. PreistestSky

Jun 10, 2020
    Preistest
    Bishop
    was not aware that was a thing.

14. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    2:30 PM
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    Thresholds are posted in the thread

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mirrors

Mirrors Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    Mirrors
    WeenieHutJrs
    I think you should still be able to join the HP challenges as a mage but you just won't get extra MP.

For example my bishop is 145ish and has 30k mp but has like 2k HP.

She will still be able to participate in challenges to get the extra 200hp from challenges but she won't get any mp since she's already at 30k.

At least that is my understanding

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Diego

Diego Capt. Latanica

Jun 7, 2015
    7:30 AM
    Sad DrK noises

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. MaxDamage

MaxDamage Blue Snail

Nov 3, 2023
    Male
    I’m little confused.
    Questions:
    1.What if I have put some AP on HP/MP but I’m still under the HP threshold?

2.Is there any chance that Rosa will give an indication about how many AP needed to be reduced from HP/MP?

18. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    2:30 PM
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    I hope this clears up some of your confusion!

When you want to claim any HP from Rosa you are required to remove any points you currently have in your HP or MP pool using AP resets.
    There's no indication on the exact amount, however you can calculate this yourself or join the Maplelegends Discord and use the $bloodwash command in the bot-channel

• Like Like x 1
  19. Chelmsford

Chelmsford Red Snail

Jun 24, 2022
    Male
    1:30 PM
    Chelmsford
    Community
    Slightly confused about a few aspects. Based on the discord post it seems this is the release of only the first two tiers of the HP washing system, presumably levels 100 and 110. Is there a timeline for the release of the future challenges? And will it be possible to complete these challenges for now without locking my HP/MP? As a higher level mid-way through HP washing I don't really want to be locked out from bossing content that might require a higher HP and some more washing or from increasing HP while waiting for an undisclosed amount of time for new challenges to be released, but I also want to participate in this new content that is going to shape my character in future.

Reading the eligibility requirements, does this mean I won't be able to claim the 100/110 rewards if my current base HP is already than 3,950 as a 'other' class and therefore nothing will really change for now?

In general though, this update is the #1 thing I've been looking forward to. Having completed all Alpha/Beta tests I'm incredibly excited for this and cannot thank staff enough for their hard work on this.