1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

[Gunslinger] Burst Fire; the noob trap.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Anon, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Anon

Anon Horny Mushroom Retired Staff

May 3, 2017
    Male
    7:47 AM
    FL4K
    Corsair
    Carnival
    I've recently noticed that the first 10 levels of this skill are arguably a massive noob-trap as before level 11 this skill does less DPM than Double Shot.
    Double Shot at level 20 fires two shots with 130% damage every 0.42s with booster (0.48s without), while Burst Fire at level 1 which fires three shots with 95% damage every 0.69s with booster (0.81s without).
    Double Shot ends up doing ~619%/s damage with booster (~542%/s without). In contrast to Burst Fire's 413%/s with booster (352%/s without). I understand level 1 doesn't need to be significantly better, but as is it does less damage per hit (so monster defense is more of a hinderance), less damage per second, and making it harder to pin. All while increasing ammo usage and using more MP.
    To add to this, Burst Fire isn't an active skill, so you cannot just go back to using Double Shot having realised your mistake as Double Shot is now Burst Fire.

I'd like to suggest this skill's damage be changed so something along the lines of:
    Level 1: 152%
    Level 2: 154%
    Level 19: 188%
    Level 20: 190%
    This would leave it with the same damage once maxed as it currently is (as this is acceptable), and makes it a small margin better than Double Shot at level 1.
    As per the suggestion, Burst Fire at level 1 would now deal 661%/s with booster (~563%/s without).

Of course I'm welcome to alternate suggestions or implementations, but I would like to see this changed as all it does is make the skill worse for anyone that isn't aware of how it all works.

Thanks for reading.

Edit:
    I have just realised I imagine this skills scaling wasn't so bad when Double Shot was two 80% hits, but now that it's been buffed Burst Fire falls behind heavily.

• Like Like x 5
  2. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    4:47 PM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    I vote that we nerf double shot back to 80%, and make burstfire its own skill so that we can keep using double shot after we add burstfire.

3. yogurtseller

yogurtseller Mixed Golem

Nov 28, 2017
    wholesomeABG
    Shadower
    I dont think we should make slingers anymore challenging as it is now. Training up until lvl 90 was already painful for me.

It would be great if we could get some client modifications to make burst fire a separate skill though. I always feel like I got boned with altered event drop rates because corsairs dont have fast, low level single target damage skills to farm event items. The lowest level single target skill we have is burst fire, which has too long of a cast time and is too high in level to be used as a event farming tool. I think corsairs are literally the only class out there without a first job single target skill

4. DrJason

DrJason Windraider

May 30, 2018
    Male
    Canada
    7:47 PM
    DrJason, Zrar, WhyDaggers
    Islander, F/P Arch Mage
    Oddjobs
    rapid fire walking (tapping it as you walk) is way faster than double shot anyways

5. yogurtseller

yogurtseller Mixed Golem

Nov 28, 2017
    wholesomeABG
    Shadower
    It is faster but from what I’ve heard, 4th job skills have the lowest event drop rates. Actually, I have yet to see any event drops coming from a rapid fire kill.. which I noticed after s0methings0mething pointed out he was getting no event drops with hurricane

6. asdfjkliang

asdfjkliang Selkie Jr.

Jul 10, 2017
    Male
    Mirage
    Hero
    Influence
    Either make triple shot faster or make double shot and triple shot separate skills

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. s0mething

s0mething Capt. Latanica

May 4, 2019
    From what I and others have concluded, Hurricane/ rapid fire's event farming abilities were slightly nerfed. Using strafe can definitely yield better rates than hurricane, assuming you're 1 hitting the monsters. Never tested double shot vs strafe, but I would assume it's the same.

8. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    You do have a fast, first job, single target skill though. Flash Fist.

9. OP
    OP
    Anon

Anon Horny Mushroom Retired Staff

May 3, 2017
    Male
    7:47 AM
    FL4K
    Corsair
    Carnival
    I think if they were seperate skills it would also solve the issue. However, it still doesn't address the fact that it'd still be 100% worse until the 11th point. Considering it's a 3rd job skill being compared to a 1st job skill, to me, this feels wrong.

10. DrJason

DrJason Windraider

May 30, 2018
    Male
    Canada
    Islander, F/P Arch Mage
    Oddjobs
    It annoys me greatly that we even have to speculate about something like this, why can't admins tell us about their super-custom class-dependent drop rates :grumpy: every thread on this topic is ignored

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    I have no regrets, this is exactly why I chose to max FLASH FIST (first job punching skill) because of how event drops work.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Tate

Tate Capt. Latanica

Apr 16, 2020
    New Zealand
    11:47 AM
    Potayto
    Shadower
    Beaters
    Wait so how exactly do event drops work? class specific? skill specific too i presume?

13. asdfjkliang

asdfjkliang Selkie Jr.

Jul 10, 2017
    Male
    Mirage
    Hero
    Influence
    1v1 skills yield a greater drop rate for event etcs rather than those who hit multiple mobs, e.g. Genesis/Blizzard/Meteor will yield a lower drop rate than someone using power strike.

Apparently 1v1 4th job skills (hurricane, rapid fire, triple throw) got their drop rates nerfed

14. DrJason

DrJason Windraider

May 30, 2018
    Male
    Canada
    Islander, F/P Arch Mage
    Oddjobs
    I think the only thing we know for sure is that certain drop rates are affected by which skill was used to kill a mob, such that skills like Genesis have a lower drop rate