1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Underrated maps within Maplestory?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Redwop, Apr 24, 2021.

1. Redwop

Redwop Balance Team Staff Member Balance Team

Jan 27, 2016
    8:44 PM
    I'm not sure this topic has already been shared, so if it has, feel free to direct me.

I'm eager to read about your experiences playing on maps that you believe are underrated. By "underrated", I'm talking specifically about spots that are not traditionally recommended in (training) guides. They can be anywhere across the Maple World.

I'm interested in knowing also about changes you would apply to these maps. For example, a change could be to make it more optimal for training; e.g. removing mob diversity.

• Like Like x 3
  2. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    3:44 AM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Nearly every map in Mu lung and Deep ludi.

A patch or 2 ago they got some massive spawn buffs. When I was card hunting in these maps there were soo many monsters to kill and i finished sets very quickly.

• Like Like x 1
  3. HouseAuburn

HouseAuburn Capt. Latanica

Aug 11, 2020
    Male
    Henesys
    6:44 AM
    For the pinchiest of penny pinchers, Outside West Entrance of Ariant is an incredible map for MP pots. Both Jr. Cactus and Cactus, which are both mid-20s mobs with the higher being 550 HP, drop both Blue Potions and Desert Mist, which is worth two Blue Potions. So you can just grind through the top platform and then the ground floor, go up the ladder, repeat as many times as you want. However, if you're willing to spend at least a little bit of money, Zipangu's Crow Forest 2 has similar mobs (albeit flying ones) which drop two types of MP food, Mana Elixir, and Shoe Jump 30% which is a seven-figure scroll. And once there you can just sell at Ninja Castle which is accessible for free. AND you're not melting in the desert sun. So a bunch of pluses with that guy.

In regards to XP, a map I've found recently is the floor of Ninja Castle with the Chuunin, which my Crossbowman has been having a ball in recently. Not sure whether it has been mentioned or not, but I think most people just stop at Genin.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. Jaewonnie

Jaewonnie Capt. Latanica

Apr 21, 2020
    Crimsonwood Mountain: Cavern of Pain
    PAWGChamp
    Buccaneer
    Vikerolas are a good map for leech and farm. Leech starts at lv82+ and fits nicely between wolfspiders and ulu1 and gives about ulu1 eph. If you find a duo mage it ranks among the most afk maps in the game (cast ult once and wait for next spawn) and gives better eph than ulu1. As for farming they drop OA int 10s and mithrils.

I remember trying to sell leech here with another mage last year but too many sheeple just go with ulu1...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Jafel

Jafel Capt. Latanica

May 3, 2015
    Male
    12:44 PM
    KingSlime
    Outlaw
    Twice
    Very low levels could try Coke Snails and Coke Slimes, they frequently drop the scrolls in their droptable (shoe jump 60 for both and oa dex 60 for snails) and it nets easy low effort profit (aside from climbing up the map every time).

The Crows mentioned by HouseAuburnHouseAuburn are great too. On my Corsair I got about 1 shoe jump 30% per hour on average. Which is pretty decent earnings for using less than 100k worth in pots. Especially because they drop plenty of weapon stimulators which sell 20k ea as well. Used to be my somewhat semi-secret farming spot. It's nowhere near as good or consistent as other spots (nightghosts 2 maps further), but it's a good alternative if other spots are filled and you don't want to pay too much attention. A large-hitbox on your skills helps tho.

The monsters in China drop great items. Although I have not felt like they drop it very often. However, the equips they drop sell highly at NPCs (100k+) for easy lvl30 mobs. Additionally, many drop INT scrolls or m.att scrolls that do well in FM for at least 200k (wand matt) up to more than a mil (earring int). Another alternative here would be Jr. Cellion which seem to frequently drop Gephart which is a lvl35 dagger that sells for 150k to NPCs (personal experiences though, their droptable has plenty fodder that's not really worth much). Some of the maps in china also have super intuitive rotation routines (Cows/Plow Ox maps)

Cleric grinding at lvl35+ could be done very well at skeledogs/mummydogs as an alternative to LPQ or wraiths. Don't ever grind on chronos with your cleric. Chronos are undead, but they're not weak to holy attacks. You will deal more damage to skeledogs/mummydogs and they're perfectly situated in Victoria Island! The maps are easily navigable and very suitable to low attention rotation. They don't drop too many interesting things (for being lvl44 and lvl47...), but it's a decent alternative to those looking for less meta spots. Additional benefit if you don't mind leveling somewhat slowly: Skeleton Soldier and Officer Skeleton drop a wide range of useful and valuable items and are in the same map region if you like the maps and vibe. (the farting horseyriding Commander Skeleton suck tho, don't even try them)

Going to higher level mobs: Mr. Alli in Mu Lung/Herb Town is actually pretty nice. The maps they spawn in (especially the last map before getting in Mu Lung Area) are amazing if you have some decent range on your skills (my corsair Birb Genesis works wonders here), they drop earring int 60% which is worth at least something, and they drop power crystal ores.

deep ludi dual ghost pirates were already OP before the buff patch iirc. Especially because the map layout is amazing. Only downside is th ebottom part where it's hard to get out of if you can't kill the dual ghost pirates fast enough. (Did they add a portal there?)

At higher levels it seems like most mobs are somewhat meta for something at least. But I'd vouch deep ludi any day as it's amazing and so much more fun than the meta maps.

• Informative x 2
    • Useful x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Great Work x 1
    • Creative x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    Redwop

Jan 27, 2016
    You're right in that some maps were buffed. Changes to Mu Lung were mentioned in an update posted here and a demonstration was provided for Deep Ludi here, with changes applied days later in a patch.

I did a browse through some threads and for example, with this one, it focused on how playing on Peach Monkey in Mu Lung could be considered as viable for leeching. (Other posts mention statistics to draw comparisons with other maps too.) Having in-built map teleporters suggested these changes helped to improve the overall experience. Moreover, provide an alternative map for playing which might otherwise not have been previously considered.

Similarly, as you've said, it increases motivation to complete sets, especially when relevant adjustments (i.e. buff to spawn rates and/or teleporters) are introduced. Else, it could just be encouraging knowing a particular item of interest (e.g. scroll) is added to a mob that can be farmed to be used or sold. I suppose what remains to be seen is whether these maps require further changes or if they have applied sufficiently enough to now warrant them as part of the meta in terms of progression for characters of different classes.

7. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    The map is great, I went there this week to self leech a char thats 82. Couldn't find a duo mage so was doing it alone with my 164 arch mage and was already getting similar eph as ulu1. Slightly below it perhaps

8. Jafel

Jafel Capt. Latanica

May 3, 2015
    Male
    KingSlime
    Outlaw
    Twice
    lvl70+ I/L with a lightning wand can easily solo at Vikerola if they have decent gear. Might be expensive in pot costs, but if you self-HS you're pretty well off.

9. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    7:44 PM
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    But we have CD...

+For utilizing elemental weakness, and to match topic of thread, I usually suggested blue kent for pre-IS ele4-TB ILs. I'm sure this beats Vikerola and can be considered as underrated hidden enough in modern ML.

++Ironically, this method was way more famous back in old days of ML. Forgotten now.

Pro tip : 1 point in amp b4 pumping IS up.

10. Jafel

Jafel Capt. Latanica

May 3, 2015
    Male
    KingSlime
    Outlaw
    Twice
    Which is a highly contested META map. I'd rather go off-meta :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Krythan

Krythan Nightshadow

Sep 2, 2022
    Krythan
    Bishop
    Sleepywood
    I've found that Herb Town: 10-Year-Old Herb Garden (48 Ginseng Jar) and Mu Lung: Deep in the Sky Forest (43 Black Porky) are great maps for leeching that sit in that awkward level range between Wraiths and Jr. Wraiths. You hear "porkies" listed a lot in guides, but I've found it quite quiet around there. Especially due to the absolutely astronomical coverage of the map you can do with a mage ultimate and little movement.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
  13. momokoji

momokoji Mano

Dec 6, 2017
    6:44 PM
    2102 Akihabara

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Palladino

Palladino Master Chronos

Apr 26, 2020
    Paladin
    Funk
    Zipangu: Forest of Oblivion is an amazing map with great atmosphere and a brilliant soundtrack. The map is hardly ever contested nowadays, since Funk decided to move their HQ to the FM a couple years ago.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    Jail room

• Great Work Great Work x 2
  16. OP
    OP
    Redwop

Jan 27, 2016
    Bump.

[​IMG]

I just want to say that I love playing in A Hill West of Henesys.

I've been here on at least four of my characters now (mostly ranged), and have nothing else but praise for the map!

For me, I found it quite comfortable for training and grinding, especially once you get the hang of it, or stick to a rotation. I was also able to successfully complete some of my Monster Book card sets here, specifically for Red Snail, Stump, and the Pigs, which is just a bonus! I also especially love playing on unconventional maps with different layouts.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    I never see anyone at Dukus. With one leecher, this map provides me 55m exp/hour at level 152. On top of good raw mesos, the map also drops earring int 10s and Power Elixirs.

• Like Like x 1
  18. OP
    OP
    Redwop

Jan 27, 2016
    I think the Golem's Temple is a beautiful piece of architecture. I'm satisfied that the forlorn looking place is being acknowledged in a system like Challenges, even if it is just for the exploration aspect.

I sometimes wonder what it could be like if the Temple was structured differently; in terms of how you get to certain maps, and the mobs that are put inside each and every one of them: and sometimes I feel that the Internet Café maps of the Breathing Sanctuary would fit well if they were integrated with other maps that already form part of the Golem's Temple. For example:

[​IMG]

I think the maps are interesting, despite them providing few to no safe spots: and I wouldn't mind seeing in-map teleporters being introduced to these maps, because I think it could make the area a bit more attractive for training.

I'm also surprised that in the official servers there was no minimap dot for the temple — which they do show, on the world map: despite "The Breathing Rock" being seen in the game as a "Hidden Street", it seems the Golem's Temple is not a "Hidden Street"; because in the game it is seen instead as being part of "Victoria Road".

Some other differences that I had wanted to note was that, in the Internet Café maps depicting the Temple, there were stairs; which I find interesting because none of the current maps in the Temple provide that: instead, they have ropes.

• Great Work Great Work x 2
  19. Krythan

Krythan Nightshadow

Sep 2, 2022
    Krythan
    Bishop
    Sleepywood
    I really like the Golem's Temple maps! The fact than a single mage ultimate covers ~80% of the spawns makes it even better. They are some of the maps that I'll self-leech at so that my new characters can pick up those cards...

And to add one more - in my continued love letter to Mu Lung, Snake Area deserves a mention. Leech-able starting at level 40, offering about 5% to 10% more exp than Entrance to Sky Forest, with just as simple of a rotation.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2023
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  20. SaviorSword

SaviorSword Dark Stone Golem

Feb 9, 2020
    Male
    Aiur
    5:44 AM
    SaviorSword
    Paladin
    Bonfire
    5th and 6th floor for Warriors (Or non-Mages with a Paladin partner.)!

While it does have a reputation of leech map, it's also a great map to grind on too!

Although there's a caveat though, ya HAVE to have a Paladin as a partner. Heaven's Hammer is essential for grind to function well.
    Also, the stronger player has to take the 6th/Gold Floor to make it as efficient as possible as well. Accuracy is a bit more important than damage here since most of the hard work is done by the Hammer.

I've often had grind sessions with my Maple wife's 130+ characters and they could Level Up almost twice in a hour or so of active play!