1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Share Your Motivation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kiwiz, Jul 21, 2023.

1. kiwiz

kiwiz Skelegon

May 7, 2018
    3:27 AM
    Due to the nature of the MapleLegends server, characterized by its low rates, the controversial HP washing, bad market economy, and the high cost of potions and star recharges, players may frequently experience feelings of discouragement.

One reason for the low retention of players seems to be the tendency to set excessively high expectations and difficult-to-achieve goals, which can result in early disillusionment when they realize how far they are from achieving them.

What advice would you offer to players in general to help keep them motivated and, ideally, inspire them to stay even a day longer? Alternatively, you can share what keeps you motivated.

One I’d give is rather than fixating on a single, lofty goal, it's more beneficial to set smaller, achievable goals along the way. This approach allows players to experience a sense of progress and accomplishment, keeping their motivation high.

The initial goals should be easily attainable within a short period, such as days or even hours, gradually increasing the difficulty for the subsequent ones. As players progress, they will become more familiar with the game, enabling them to achieve the next set of goals within their capabilities.

Eventually, they will reach a stage where they are deeply invested in the game, leaving them with little reason to give up. For instance, a player making into a Bishop or Archmage may further be motivated to farm for more or explore new character options.

If MapleLegends were to introduce a straightforward progressive reward system, it could significantly enhance the overall gaming experience. However, I believe this idea would be for a separate discussion.

2. PumpkinJuice

PumpkinJuice Orange Mushroom

Nov 26, 2022
    How I keep myself motivated is also similar to what you suggested.

For some examples, my goal is to reach 30k hp on my ranged attackers. At first look when you calculate it out, you realise it will take few years to reach it, and that amount is definitely daunting especially since there is no way for you to accelerate the process enough.

My goal is still to reach 30k hp, but I break it down into different milestones that I can feel excited about.

1. Calculate out the required amount of mp to reach 30k, and plan the amout of INT and levels to reach the goal

2. Make characters that you are going to leech your ranged chars to said level. Since this is normal gameplay, should progress as normal

3. Don't start thinking about the range char you are making, think about the different INT and TMA you need to subsequently 1 hit mobs to leech

4. Be excited about the mesos and upgrades that you earned, and then slowly start to think about your main goal

5. Start to level your intlord, don't go rushing and keep it simple. Most likely it is just leeching from your mages

6(Might apply to earlier points also). Is to enjoy the process of leeching, whether selling or self-leeching. The trick that I personally use is to on a show that I want to watch and leech while watching

7. When you finally reach the required level for 30k hp, and now stuck on AP Resets, don't focus on 30k hp too much. Be excited about slowly reducing your int and add to your main stats. Upgrade your gears slowly. You will see the increasing of your damage every week. Start by slowly be able to kill minor bosses like Capt.Latanica, and don't go think you must already be able to fight Zak or HT.

8. The process of reducing MP to HP, but don't feel that you need to reach 30k ASAP, look at the different HP thresholds needed and slowly wash towards them. You will eventually hit 30k.

Well thats how I mainly separate my goals. Also another point is to not rush it. If you are feeling tired that day, don't force yourself to leech. It will just make you burn out faster. Take it slow, play other games if you want, and when you feel the mood to watch and grind, play the game.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    9:27 PM
    So many I keep forgetting
    Unfortunately, I've realised I can only play this game for one of two reasons:
    1. As a means of collecting data to put into my much-loved Excel sheets.
    2. As something to blabber about in my journal.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pelinsu

Pelinsu Timer

Jan 15, 2022
    10:27 PM
    Friends & discovering content :3

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  5. OP
    OP
    kiwiz

kiwiz Skelegon

May 7, 2018
    Hmmmmm, sounds awfully familiar... I might’ve fallen into that hole as well. Now I need to rethink my life’s decisions. :sorry:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    I wanna be the very best, like no one ever was

• Great Work Great Work x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    4:27 PM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    A dropout will beat a genius through hard work

8. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    4:27 PM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    but seriously now, farming is relaxing, i like to make content at least 1h/day, i like to do my best in everything fighting my way
    and motivation itself excuses the word but it's nonsense, you have to bet on constancy, the power to do a little bit every day, brick by brick

9. Krythan

Krythan Nightshadow

Sep 2, 2022
    3:27 PM
    Krythan
    Bishop
    Reset
    I enjoy talking about and answering questions. Unfortunately, I gotta actually play the game to know stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Carousel

Carousel Slime

Nov 27, 2021
    3:27 PM
    Kyou
    number go up

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Raso

Raso Slimy Retired Staff

Jul 2, 2017
    Female
    Noctua
    Shadower
    Perion
    My motivation is purely the people I play with. The game progression itself is fun, but more of a bonus to me. Whenever I can do group content or VC with my friends, its fun to play. If people need help and I can help them, even if its small progression for them, it gives me feeling of purpose. If those parts falls away, theres no reason for me to play anymore.

Finishing my dagger is defo something on my want-list but Im the weirdo that hates maths and optimization so if it doesnt happen, so be it. In the end ML is just a mushroom pixel game with fake money, fake items but very real people. I just enjoy spending time with the very real people Foxpat

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  12. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    12:27 PM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    The best method I have found to keep myself motivated is to find other players with similar goals as myself and form a small group/community/guild. We talk to each other about our progress and share our successes / failures along the way. These interactions keep me motivated and focused on my goals.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. Ferluci

Ferluci Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 27, 2017
    Male
    Ferluci
    Bishop
    I see Goby
    I angry
    I kill Goby
    I happy

repeat

• Great Work Great Work x 4
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Lucidcat

Lucidcat Mixed Golem

May 14, 2021
    4:27 AM
    \mooo/
    ________ monsters160.gif

Last edited: Jul 23, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. asaniqq

asaniqq Mushmom

Jun 5, 2018
    12:27 PM
    Beasee
    Shadower
    I see Pepega player
    I angry
    I smega passive aggressive insults
    I banned

pausechamp, instructions unclear, now I have to find a new game to play while GMs time me out

• Creative Creative x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. Averdant

Averdant King Slime

Feb 6, 2020
    I think what's important is for people to enjoy the game they're playing. If they enjoy it, they'll stay.
    True there's some flaws such as HP washing locking out non-washing players from PB (which will be solved with HP challenge, but imo HP washing was never an actual issue back when HT was the end game boss in ML instead of PB --- back in msea when HT first came out we used to go to HT with our 4k-5k hp bowman/nls with DKs and some of us even sacrificed stats to wear HP top/btms as atkers so we had enough hp to tank tail. It was also super laggy and our mages couldn't spam gene/blizz/meteor or we could end up dcing ourselves or our squad members), and issues with the current economy where it's easy to start out now (1 ws/cs from gacha pull gives you 300m) but "real" end game gets extremely long and tedious.

I feel that getting people to manage their expectations about the game (eg. the hp washing issue is not as bad as they make it out to be, and how most of the people who complain about getting locked out of end-game bosses like pb because they don't have enough hp never get to lvl 180+ in the first place) and their game progression is the most important thing (you can keep trying to chase damage, but there's never an end to it. after 12wa gloves you'll want 14wa, then 16wa and 21wa 23wa 25wa afterwards etc).

I'd say just get somewhere you're comfortable with and enjoy your own game, don't get pressured by what kind of gears or HP/MP other people have or expect you to have because of your level or how long you've been playing the game --- comparison is the thief of joy. also don't forget that some people are willing to grind 300 hours for 1 single piece of eq and it's not realistic to compare yourself with these people or use them as benchmarks for what should objectively be YOUR end-game gear. Also not very healthy or realistic to compare yourselves with people who voted for 2 years daily for NX to get their 30k hp atkers, you'll still be able to go PB unwashed on your first char anyway -- and be able to make your own 30k hp atker in future if you stay long enough in the server.

I've been playing for 3 years and I'm content with gears like 11wa warrior gloves and a 4wa 4str cape on a 159 pally. You guys need to chill and enjoy the game instead of being obsessed with numbers (stats and gears). For those of you who have lost your joy in playing ML, I'll suggest re-visiting the reasons you started playing ML and asking yourselves what made you like the game in the first place -- hopefully it'll rekindle your motivation to continue playing the game. :)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2023
    • Like Like x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. OP
    OP
    kiwiz

kiwiz Skelegon

May 7, 2018
    I shared my views with another player in Discord and thought I’d paste it here as well.

This is just an estimation to provide you with an idea. Typically, you might spend around 3-6 billion mesos for your character to achieve 60-70% of its potential.

However, reaching 80-90% potential requires a significantly higher investment, could be 5-20 times more, to gain those 2-10 additional stats in each equipment slot. As an example, a 0-slot, 7 attack cape might cost around 500 million mesos, while a 0-slot, 8 attack cape could cost about double that price for a 1 attack increase.

Reaching 100% potential would be impractical as it would demand a level of commitment that could consume a significant portion of your life. In essence, the effort required for these minor boosts at the end is disproportionately high, making it probably not worth dedicating your life to achieve them.

Regarding HP washing, it proves challenging to wash your first character. The recommended approach is to initially play any character you like while simultaneously voting on a second account.

The numbers provided are for context. For example, if you start your first character with the intention to wash, it might take around 3-6 months to reach a certain milestone due to limited funding and lower damage output resulting in slower leveling.

However, if you play a character normally, you can have fun for 1-2 months and during this time, accumulate funds through farming, which can then be used to support your washing character. Consequently, the washing character can achieve the same milestone in 2 months or even less, as compared to the first scenario.

18. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    4:27 AM
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    I see fresh nice newcomer who has potential to be great player
    I get wet
    I try to kidnap him into hardcore contents and show how he can be
    I get him eventually

Profit

Surprisingly, that's kinda only motive for myself for playing this game currently.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  19. JKNS

JKNS Selkie Jr.

Sep 21, 2020
    2:27 PM
    Hero, Dark Knight, F/P Arch Mage, I/L Arch Mage, Bishop, Night Lord
    You do take lots of prisoners.

20. cereal box

cereal box Slime

Apr 28, 2023
    Male