1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Storage on Maple Island

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Salt, Jan 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris

Chris Zakum Retired Staff

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    9:32 PM
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    Sorry if I have the incorrect player but I believe you have a +3 or +4 green strap shoe, which I assume would be one of the biggest, if not the biggest item accomplishment you have? I don't know if you have other items with success from 10% scrolls, but I didn't play at the time of the quest event nor have I seen a picture of the item (if there is one). The only reason I know about it is from people questioning if its an item that has been scrolled using smuggled 30s (This is not an accusation, but something I've heard discussed multiple times). I can 100% see how someone would feel sometype of way about adding a storage that would decrease the value of that item by a lot on the island. The issue is an Islander can work 10 times harder than you have and not get an item like that because it hasn't been reintroduced and outclasses the comparable gomu. I would consider the Maple Stars I have to be of value as I have 6 of them. The were vastly easier to obtain the first time they were reintroduced but had no meaning at the time as a custom item by Legends is what gave them value, something nobody could foresee. My point being some players could have just tossed them as junk. They were added by request during the 2020 event from Islanders as they were not included upon release of the 2020 anniversary. Not only did they get added at the end of the event, they were vastly more difficult to get than previously. Most players either got none or 1 by the time the event was over. Their disappointment was very palpable. But this only increased the value of the 6 maple stars I had.

A storage would make my maple stars nearly worthless as ilbis can be purchased for relatively cheap, for more attack. But I would personally rather give up the worth of what I currently have to create a more meaningful and even experience for the future Islander community. As well as being part of a community where every time you scroll something good, it isn't immediately discussed behind people's back if it is legit or not.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. OP
    OP
    Salt

Salt Slimy

Apr 3, 2015
    Male
    3:32 AM
    Newbton, Salt
    Paladin
    Southperry
    That is true and thank you for replying, it shows that staff are still having an eye on this and hopefully it gets implemented at some point. Since this thread keeps getting more and more pages of replies it would be nice to see an update in the future to finally close this thread, no matter the decision. I hope that staff sees that islanders just want to progess along with the rest of the server and not be completly forgotten. We are all valuable players of the MapleLegends community no matter if you play an islander or "normally". This is our home that we keep returning to for that cosy 2004 mushroom game feeling.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    I feel like the goalpost has shifted a couple times in this thread. It starts with a claim that event items are an unattainable meta for things like claws or speed gear (untradeable items that even a storage wouldnt fix) to speed meta from smuggled items like bathrobes (which appear to be shown to be basically the same eph either way) to allowing items to "look cool on da island". This last point strikes me odd, since the claim is that it would revive the island scene as there are plenty of new equips and items, and bring about a large new island population. I have a hard time seeing this happening as imagined.

Theres a major pushback in this thread from any opinion that isnt from an "experienced islander" that doesn't share these beliefs, so I'm not sure how to expect any relevant feedback that isnt either groupthink or arguing. Now that said, I'm not an islander but have seen a similar situation. I used to play my fair share of minecraft on a Flatworld server where many items are difficult or outright impossible to obtain (the world is only 3 layers of dirt and villages). People would always be asking for more items to be added to the game, but that tended to be an indicator that the player was running out of content within the playstyle. Adding in extra items wouldnt change what it is or directly impact other players, but it also wouldnt "spice things up" for long. At the end of the day, gameplay was exactly the same; building massive farms that passively generated basically every renewable resource.

I agree that a storage would stop the smuggling issue by making it accessible to all. I disagree that it is the right solution to help with many relevant event items (claw cant be transferred anyways). I wholly disagree that it will bring about a renaissance of renewed interest to the island playstyle. If you got tired of killing pigs with a surfboard, you'll get tired of killing pigs with a guan yu polearm.

A storage does not fix the fundamental flaws in islander gameplay, and a shiny coat of paint wont conceal it for long. An island with storage sounds very similar to other "challenge" runs like the Sleepywood-locked challenge. Ultimately, you get out of a restricted run what you put in. If the claim of needing variety is true, perhaps its time for a different challenge altogether?

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. kitsunychang

kitsunychang Horny Mushroom

Feb 26, 2018
    Female
    Dangerous Forest, Rainbow Street
    KitsunyChang
    Islander
    Southperry
    My green strap shoes were only 10% scrolls, I don't know how to smuggle. Real nice to bring up gossip here. Also before my green straps I had +3 gomushins too.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SaltySeal

SaltySeal Mano

Jun 6, 2020
    Male
    8:32 PM
    SaltySeal
    Islander
    Just quoting this because I'm the same. I only have an Islander (Level 31 I think), don't play offland, and hell, I'm really an "eventlander" so I'm not really active at all. So a storage wouldn't personally benefit me. However, I see no reason why it shouldn't be implemented. Especially if it means other people could get me the Good Shitâ„¢

I do agree with iPippy and don't really see this bringing a rush of new members and activity to the Islander community, but even so, I still don't see the harm in implementing storage access on the island.

I don't really have any other points or whatever; I suck at writing. +1 agree for storage.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Winnie

Winnie Timer

Feb 22, 2020
    9:32 AM
    Bishop
    -
    Don't misunderstand , the ''look cool on da island'' thing is just a me thing & what i would do if they put in a storage keeper NPC
    I hate when my character look ugly & it's definitely not going to bring in a large new island population . I have a hard time seeing this happen as well .
    My islander role is only to help other player not kill pigs / mushroom for level so all she need is to look pretty/cool for my eyes & fetch some ETC to giveaway when they ask me for it .

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  7. zeroxlr

zeroxlr Windraider

Oct 11, 2020
    6:32 PM
    xxxxSnuggles
    Beginner, Camper, Islander
    An analysis is to state multiple supporting points to support the primary idea, of why Storage on Island is good to have.

Goal post never changed, additional claims have been added to support the original statement.

To refute:
    > "Sleepywood-locked challenge" is not the same as Islander/Beginner as for nostalgia and inherent game code restrictions.
    - - Again... v62 game code is supposed to allow off-island items using MTS and is part of the nostalgia that is part of the original MS 2008 v53
    - - in my previous posts, even Beta Testers from the original MS of the old maple forums agree that off-island items are part of islander life

> "Minecraft currently and before".... is not the same as MapleStory v62.
    - - Minecraft is not mmo role-playing game, as in the role of the islander is supposed to include being able to use off-island items since v53
    - - Flatland was made and developed way back before 2015, and is still being developed by the developers
    - - That would be the same as asking the GMS devs to revert 2021 code back to never, since off-island items were there Pre-Big Bang in 2008.
    - - We are in a Maplestory v62 2009-2010 which is Pre-Big Bang, which is closer to if the Minecraft Devs decided to scrape everything and revert to the first Nostalgia installment of when Vanilla Minecraft v1 came out, and before Flatlands even became a thing.

> Islanders had freedoms for off-island items during v62; thus Storage restores the issue of lack of off-island items. It was inadvertently removed upon current server edits when MTS was taken away without preserving the nostalgia that was off-island items in Maple Island.
    - - was there discussion when the ability to acquire off-island items was removed to keep/take away Islander nostalgia?

:tick: It is true that Event Items often brought an influx of islanders to Maple Island, although this is due to the fact that off-island/event items are part of the nostalgia that once was and could be, if Storage on Island is accepted.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    New additional claim as to why Storage is good to have:

Washing!

With the additions of Pink Bean, and also the current HT requiring a large amount of HP Washing, Storage on the Island would help the overall community in acquiring the use of early INT Equipment before level 8.

It would be easier for the community to have a level cushion range that provides them extra time to pump INT for MP or HP Wash to reach the end tier boss raids that have been newly added, and aids their efforts for the MP/HP Infinite Loop Washing Method.

The extra 7 levels of INT equips for Washing is still negligible compared to level 8-120 range worth of potential Washing range, which Doesn't Affect Washing Meta/Balance either, since:

- - Vote Cash is still required for purchasing AP resets.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To recap and add to why Storage is good to have:
    - Please read previous posts on Islander Meta (exp grinding pg 4, and item farming pg 5), and Islander Nostalgia of Pre-Big Bang pg 8.

Yes to Storage:
    1. cosmetic equips + scrolling (not meta changing)
    2. removes off-island items' legalities
    3. rebuild the islander community for chatting and grinding, that's welcoming for new islanders!
    4. welcoming for any play style of islanders, snail crushers, or pro islanders
    5. brings back nostalgia of off-island items (v62 supposed to allow off-island items via MTS since v53)

NEW
    6. early Wash Equips for people who want more INT before level 8 for HT/Pink Bean

- is there a community push back from most people in Maplelegends?
    - can there be a poll?

• Like Like x 7
    • Great Work Great Work x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Chris

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    I don't think anyone with certainty can predict what the influence of a storage would have on the Islander population. The way things are done currently, doesn't stimulate activity. When I bring up the population I am talking about hopefully retaining at least a few people online through out the time zones with a hopeful max upwards of 15-20 online, this is a dream, not something I'm predicting will happen for sure. I've received a handful of comments since this post saying a storage might make them play again, or make an Islander on Legends.

A lot of people don't last past a few days of creating their Islander, you'd add them to the guild and never see them again for whatever reason. This usually happens around events, as most Islanders only play during the events as its the only way of getting new things/seeing people online most of the time. When it comes to veteran Islanders, if they haven't quit you might see them log on at the beginning of the event. So many times you'll see people go "shit event" & log out until the next one shows up because the items aren't on the same level as previous released items. This is where the whole meta talk comes into play. A lot of islanders feel forced to use certain gear to retain their speed without using buffs. This locks certain Islanders into items as there are very few items that would be added into events that would have some amount of speed on it. A lot of people who feel this way are already locked into a hat, face, cape, weapon, & shoes. What else is there to really add beyond that?

What a storage would do
    -Fix ALL the current smuggled items that have been brought onto the Island since late 2017 by making everything obtainable and legal
    -Kim has stated with the addition of storage, Islanders wouldn't get specifically excluded from parts of events that could be accessible
    -Allows new Islanders to get equipment without having to rely on events (Which could be months away from receiving simply anything)
    -Allows ALL Islanders to get MOST gear they might want whether it looks cool or has relevant stats
    -As part of the above point, with relevant stats, auto banning will be a lot harder for full dex builds or fork users with banable base stats
    -Allows Islanders to obtain max speed from different combinations, freeing up varying equipment slots for personal favorites
    -Access to equipment with higher level requirements (Giving Islanders motivation to achieve higher levels or rewarding Islanders who have achieved high levels)
    -Allows players to focus on scrolling beyond shoe jump 10%ing gomus
    -Makes gachapon tickets useful to players that only play Islander
    -Allows people to start HP washing earlier without relying on Islander gear/having an Islander to have on Island int gear
    -Potentially makes it faster to get to level 8 or 10 on maple island
    -Cuts down on the Islander suggestion threads per event (Minus the hair/eye color changing & meme boss suggestions)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Chris

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    It is relevant to the thread as a perk of storage solves the smuggling problems. The first thing people talked about doing was 30ing gomus back in 2017 if smuggling wasn't getting fixed/if nothing was done about it. Well its 2021 and so many events through out the years have had access to FM/trading with ZERO consequences.

If you wanted to fix this problem without storage you'd have to do the following:
    -Know what items were accessible to Islanders (30% scrolls were available with the 2020 Spring Festival Event)
    -Check all characters and remove items that were never accessible by Islanders
    -Figure out if an item you could legally get as an islander was in fact obtained by an Islander or obtained off island and brought to the island
    -Check all items for scrolling, if they are scrolled were they scrolled with legit scrolls from the Island or were they imported? If an item was scrolled with a 30% was it before the 2020 event?

There are so many holes in the way smuggled items have been removed from the few Islanders that this has been done to & it is just showing them what they will be able to bring over the next time an event or bug makes smuggling accessible.

I don't know if the above is possible to track through logs/if any staff would even bother trying. I personally have a lot of doubts that this can be solved 100% without a storage, but hopefully I'm wrong if storage gets rejected.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    3:32 AM
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    smh why are the hair/eye tickets in Henesys and Orbis? Can't the guys be in the event map?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Chris

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    FoxAwkMight be my fault.

I denied that when it was first introduced. My reasoning for it was I didn't want the only hairs/eyes on the Island to be post v62 like another server. OnionScared

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. sheepes

sheepes Mushmom

Apr 21, 2020
    Male
    sheepes
    Chief Bandit
    How about making it a meso sink and making it cost like 2m to withdraw an item if you're on the island?
    [​IMG]

• Creative Creative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Voxtagrams

Voxtagrams Headless Horseman

Jun 13, 2020
    [​IMG]
    1 month of farming pigs or mushrooms to take out items from storage..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. sheepes

sheepes Mushmom

Apr 21, 2020
    Male
    sheepes
    Chief Bandit
    Well you can transfer mesos from your main. It just makes it a bit more of an expensive fee if you want to transfer stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  15. zeroxlr

zeroxlr Windraider

Oct 11, 2020
    xxxxSnuggles
    That sounds like an interesting idea! :heart:

After chatting with more people, it does seem like a type of fee or level lock quest could be additionally implemented along with the Storage on Island, if it is given.

Which gives good options for having multiple barriers for in coming off-island items:

1. Quest to unlock Storage at level 30 or 40 given by the Island Storage NPC
    - - to farm 1x full stacks for all etc item possible that can be found on the island
    - - 1x all mob drop equips
    - - 1x all mob drop scrolls
    - - 2 to 3 million mesos (selling all drops and collecting all mesos from mobs) <---storage unlock fee

> Level 30 can be achieved on average of 3-4 days IRL grind sessions.
    - - It's possible to store up to 500k to 1million mesos on average by level 30 on island from selling drops

> Level 40 would take about 1 month IRL of daily easy sessions, rather than grind sessions.
    - - It's possible to store up to +2million mesos on average by level 40

2. Between 250k to 500k mesos withdrawal fee

It would be fun to grind for a Storage Quest! Could be an extra motivator to push to higher levels too!

:coin:FoxSpy

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  16. Chris

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    Kim stated earlier in the thread that she wanted maple island to be easier for 1-8/10. I think a level cap on the storage/fee would defeat that purpose if a freshly made character was going to try to utilize it.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  17. zeroxlr

zeroxlr Windraider

Oct 11, 2020
    xxxxSnuggles
    ChrisChris Oh yeah! I almost forgot about that!

Adding it into the recap below!

Yes to Storage:
    1. cosmetic equips + scrolling (not meta changing)
    2. removes off-island items' legalities
    3. rebuild the islander community for chatting and grinding, that's welcoming for new islanders!
    4. welcoming for any play style of islanders, snail crushers, or pro islanders
    5. brings back nostalgia of off-island items (v62 supposed to allow off-island items via MTS since v53)

6. early Wash Equips for people who want more INT at level 1 for HT/Pink Bean

NEW
    7. faster leveling of 1 to 8 for mages, and community members whom wants to get off the island faster

Oh! Makes me wonder what other good benefits for the overall community that Island Storage could bring? SlimeGrin

• Like Like x 4
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  18. DrJason

DrJason Windraider

May 30, 2018
    Male
    Canada
    DrJason, Zrar, WhyDaggers
    Islander, F/P Arch Mage
    Oddjobs
  19. Obito

Obito Slime

Jul 1, 2015
    Male
    Florida
    8:32 PM
    c7gs
    Islander
    i really like the idea of island storage. it will allow islanders to continue getting items without the devs having to include islanders in events.

i've been active on my islander recently, username: c7gs. currently level 36, would love to get some new items to use as goals in my grind!

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Dance

Dance Stone Golem

Dec 21, 2020
    Male
    Fiore
    Beginner
    I play Islander in real life. The only difference between MapleLegends and me, is Maple Island is my room.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Great Work x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Creative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.