1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

The reason why our ToS needs to change

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by fael, Jul 6, 2023.

1. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    5:28 AM
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    What a fantastic post

• Friendly Friendly x 5
  2. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    9:28 PM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Hmm but from the 18 pages of threads, how many posts were about the four strike system? In a thread with 340+ posts, there are only 30 that mention the "strike system". Of which not all of them are against the 4 strike system. A quick breakdown would show us:

Those that see it a bit more favorably
    • PumpkinJuice (6 likes)
    • Raso (8 agree, 2 disagree)
    • Crash (14 agree 2 disagree)

Those explicitly against (traditional camp)
    • Fael (20 agree, 8 disagree), (5 likes)
    • Philip (2 disagree, 1 like)

Those against the system (-ovv camp)
    • Mostly just -ovv

No opinions expressed
    Mageor (playing devil's advocate)
    https://forum.maplelegends.com/inde...hy-our-tos-needs-to-change.50553/#post-342501

Tigre (commets on the 4 strike system, but not explicitly expresses their stance on it)
    https://forum.maplelegends.com/inde...tos-needs-to-change.50553/page-14#post-342896

Unrelated

Based on that, I'd still stand by my assessment of the four strikes system mostly being a vocal minority.

Will try to draft up a response on the other half of the post later in the day though!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2023
    • Great Work Great Work x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. ryanlights

ryanlights Windraider

Jan 2, 2021
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    8:28 AM
    Dark Knight, Bowmaster
    Prestigious
    For the record, I submitted the report only after MirrorsMirrors herself confirmed it was sexual harassment. This is why I waited so long because I was not sure of the severity of the situation until she pointed it out to me clearly.

I trust her judgement so I filed the formal report. Screenshot_2023-07-09-02-53-05-87_572064f74bd5f9fa804b05334aa4f912.jpg

4. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    For what it's worth, it's entirely possible she assumed the situation was worse than it was based off your description, as she hadn't seen the evidence at this point, and said it's harassment, but after a formal Staff review they concluded it wasn't actually worthy of harassment.

I think telling someone as an initial answer "This could be harassment, submit it and let's review" is the right call. Maybe the word "definitely" wasn't warranted, but peoples' wording isn't always going to be perfect.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ryanlights

ryanlights Windraider

Jan 2, 2021
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Dark Knight, Bowmaster
    Prestigious
    Staff are to be trusted and when Staff give you instructions you follow them or risk things getting worse.

When Staff told me to firesell my HT items within 48 hours or risk getting banned, I did it. Even though it was against my HT groups's best interest, I had no choice but to listen to Staff.

Its not worth losing for being non-compliant.

6. Nise

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    This is an old case, but being misrepresented. Using the 5.2 discretion, I'd like to correct this for the public. Never at any point were you threated to firesell your HT items. I quote the response from your appeal:

I've redacted the amount since I don't think that needs to be publicized. Your own sheet at the time said you successfully sold and had [insert amount] mesos. The items you had not sold at the time was not included into that total. We asked that you prove that you owned [insert amount] mesos. We also said:

How all this can be interpreted and changed to a simple "staff told me to firesell my HT items within 48 hours" is beyond me.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Out of curiosity, what was the 48 hour period stated for?

8. Mirrors

Mirrors Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    Mirrors
    WeenieHutJrs
    I really did not want to post again and I even unsubscribed from this cursed thread but here we are. It's 1am and I'm tired, my memory is not the greatest, but I guess I'll go address this anyway. If there are any errors I apologize in advance.

beegorattobeegoratto hit the nail on the head. ryanlightsryanlights What you described to me was what I considered sexual harassment, which is why I encouraged you to submit a report so it could actually be reported and investigated thoroughly. I did not speak for staff as a whole, as I was just giving advice to you as a concerned friend and as someone who knew the reporting process well. I admit my language might have caused miscommunication, and for that I apologize.

But like Nise said, in your official abuse report, you did not submit any evidence backing up what you claimed to me in your original DM, and what evidence you did submit, was not considered sexual harassment or bannable. It's not like Staff suddenly thought sexual harassment is okay and decided to ignore your report, but after the whole team reviewed it thoroughly, it was concluded that your report did not show what you initially described to me.

Also with regards to this:

I was just supporting you as anyone would support a friend if they thought their friend was a victim of sexual harassment.

I asked you if there was anything I can do to support you. I gave you advice on how to handle it in the future, and comforted you. Of course, I would not want my friend to experience this in the future, which is why I suggested reporting it if you felt comfortable doing so. Comparing this situation to when staff officially advised you to sell your HT stuff is comparing apples to oranges.

That's all I have to say about this. And honestly, I don't even know why this is being brought up again. I'm tired of my words being used as ammo to prove that "staff are hypocrites who don't care about sexual harassment". If you want to blame anyone, blame me then, and leave staff out of this.

• Friendly Friendly x 20
  9. Nise

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    A deadline was initially stated because we needed to verify whether or not he currently held the proper amount of mesos. As his liquidity was spread across various accounts, we needed him to check and verify it on our behalf, in case we missed a handful of accounts. Additionally, due to a personal reason he cited, and our consideration of it, he was given a period of leeway to manage his IRL matters first and then log onto the game.

However, after our message of asking him to provide us proof of his liquidity, instead of providing an answer, he paid everyone back before the 48 hour time period elapsed.

10. Nise

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Just a gentle remember this is about how the ToS is currently worded. Referring to old cases are important to know how we could improve things going forward, but they should be directly linked to how to improve the ToS right now.

Now, to get the thread back on topic of course, I still don't think I've heard enough direct responses regards to what was suggested.
    I've reworded the suggestion from the previous post. The suggestion would be to add an additional requirement to the existing clause which would read something like:
    6. Application of this clause is restricted to only the following situations where a player would reasonably feel fearful in-game of:
    • Being the target of sexual harassment
    • Their own personal safety (perhaps due to doxing, stalking, etc)
    • Becoming the target of discrimination due to the spreading of falsehoods
      • (Eg) Situations where a player is portrayed by members of the community to be a racist/sexist/sexual predator, when there was no evidence of it
    This was what I was going for with my previous post (linked above). Do the edits I made above seem more in line with what you guys would like to see with our 3.3.3 clause?

How does the suggestion look with regards to your concerns? Does this make it far less invasive and more justified? Or would you prefer it to become even narrower?

• Great Work Great Work x 7
  11. Pelinsu

Pelinsu Timer

Jan 15, 2022
    3:28 PM
    I think this update resolves the general negative feedback towards 3.3.3 overall. Great job!

12. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    2:28 PM
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    Your replies have been rather rude and uncalled for, if you are looking for answers then maybe begin by posting well thought out replies and asking proper questions.

Nise has been making an effort to listen to people and communicate back and forth, there's no reason to be a dickhead

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    2:28 PM
    Moderator Post
    Your post is the reason why sometimes we rather just say nothing at all.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Nise

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    For "transparency" I'd like to mention I did answer your question on Day -1 in your DMs (pretty much right when this thread was made).

[​IMG]

Also I've mentioned it in a number of posts here that I do apologize if I miss out on things, there's nearly 20 pages / 350+ replies on this thread. All of which I'm taking my own time as a volunteer to read and respond to in the most diplomatic and civil way possible.

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. ryanlights

ryanlights Windraider

Jan 2, 2021
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Dark Knight, Bowmaster
    Prestigious

I'm sorry, thank you for being there for me to support me, I appreciate you.

I'm going to stop posting.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  16. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    I would prefer if 3.3.3 was narrower and limited purely to the items that 3.3.2 (discriminatory harassment) covers in the ToS. What you have described here is essentially discriminatory harassment with the addition of safety.

If there is going to be no change in what constitutes harassment as per ToS, I would like to see as beegorattobeegoratto mentioned, a removal of account ban in favor of longer bans, with punishment just capping out at a 1 to 3 month ban.

• Like Like x 3
  17. TORONTOTOKYO

TORONTOTOKYO Windraider

Oct 16, 2021
    8:28 PM
    maybe make it longer, 1 to 3 year ban

• Like Like x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Dimez

Dimez Stone Golem

Apr 6, 2020
    Male
    Crimez/Dimez/Jake
    Paladin
    Pasta
    im in favor of this

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Nise

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    There is another difference, which has to do with spreading of falsehoods though. If I go to various ML communities spreading lies about how you're a sexual predator or a murderer, and it affects you in-game. Wouldn't you want some sort of recourse? As none of the existing sections (3.3.1 or 3.3.2)) would cover this type of behavior.

I think you are in support of the personal safety idea, but just in case others might not be on the same boat. I'd like to reference something that happened to myself and another staff member (separate instances from separate people). After they disagree with us, they start spamming our DMs with themselves holding a gun, sending other messages intimidating or threatening you. If this were to happen to another player and the perpetrator is still on the ML platform, I'd argue there should be some sort of recourse available to the player.

A 2 year ban on ALL accounts? Or just their main accounts?

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. OP
    OP
    fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    9:28 AM
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    1~3 months ban sounds definitely reasonable, of course depending on the offense. Just can't be account ban, specially considering all the fking SILLY REASONS.
    I appreciate all the effort NiseNise and everyone else from the Staff, that's something really important for the server imho.