1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Shads have mediocre damage and utility. We need more love.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tobymcxs, May 29, 2021.

1. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    5:18 AM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Gurk is right though. A change to their damage formula to allow for a larger impact from SE could be a fair ask. Giving shads a slight bump to allow for top-end Shads to hit 6-figure assassinate lines consistently would be a good way to incentivize more fully-geared shad mains rather than shad beginners/mules.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. yogurtseller

yogurtseller Mixed Golem

Nov 28, 2017
    wholesomeABG
    Shadower
    we corsairs welcome our shadower overlords :heartbeat:

smoke is probably the only buff in the game where redundancy increases party DPM. Having multiple SE or SI is the same as having one SE or SI, but the additive effect of multiple smokes is great. it’s also the only party buff that will increase a bowmaster’s DPM. I’ll try testing out the effect of one smoke on a dpm45, but my guess is that it adds about 200-500k to my dpm45 (for corsairs though; less effect on bowmen and almost no effect on NLs due to superior avoid). I think this makes it a better buff than SI for corsairs, but I’m not totally sure because I don’t get the luxury of SI very often.

my core 6 man horntail squad has two shadowers, and the effect of having two smokes is incredible for our ranged attackers because we have no NLs. we also don’t need to worry about mass sed, even with two shadower cleavers and an attacking bishop. smoke, consistent damage to middle head, being able to sed comfortably when bishops die/dc, pickpocket splits, and no fear of mass sed are all reasons why I would bring a shadower over warriors.

I think the best overall view of how shadowers are doing is best depicted by Alyosha’s class tier list. In that regard, it’s pretty clear to see that shadowers are well rounded, versatile, and a great class to play.
    https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/class-tier-list.27260/

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    12 second Heaven's Hammer cooldown :yay:

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. s0mething

s0mething Capt. Latanica

May 4, 2019
    I think OP was just farming toxic funny reacts. He/she has not replied to any posts in this thread.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gurk

Gurk Nightshadow

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    Gxrk
    Hero, Bishop, Marksman, Shadower, Buccaneer, Corsair
    To be fair, I don't think a 5% difference is as insignificant as you portray it from a balancing perspective. For some classes, that's the difference between having SE and not having it. It's also by about how much stronger paladins are than heroes for single target, by how much paly damage was buffed with the holy charge change with the Halloween balance changes, by how much battleship cannon damage was buffed with the last anniversary balance changes, and by how much MM damage was buffed with the strafe change during the last anniversary balance changes. Surely shads can want for a 5% damage boost without being considered annoying or extra. I'm not saying this magical 5% would make other people give this class a chance where they wouldn't necessarily before, but I think it would be a step in the right direction.

I understand you're coming at it from an angle of trying to show shads are perfectly playable to contrast the OP's gloomy narrative, and I don't disagree with that. But my angle here is trying to address balance and the question of whether buffs are warranted, for which fixating on numbers is the entire point.

What I've been trying to say is that I don't think the culmination of those benefits justifies fixing them in place. When I stack all the benefits and cons together, the picture I get is a "smooth" warrior with higher washing needs, lower pot spending, and lower damage that excels more in casual runs with no buffs or in runs where certain people dc. I would like to point out that I don't think shads are the best grinders by any significant margin, especially after the change to taunt. In fact, I've always gotten higher eph duoing with another hero than another shad. I also don't think that the possibility of people dcing is a very convincing argument for maintaining the status quo and that balance changes shouldn't be dictated by them.

I also don't think there's hard data for rejecting an increase in shad damage, which is why I've been trying to build a case. I don't think that warrior/bucc dpm is significantly less than their dummy dpm in most 1v1 bossing contexts, like shads. Stance means warriors have to reposition even less than shads. With shads already having an effective ~85% avoid rate while nating, adding in a bstep to dodge every attack you see would result in a decrease in dpm and just more pot savings. Stuns are really only relevant in something like pb statue phase. Cleave won't be stunned on right side during pb body phase, in zak one only needs to stand near the body and duck into it to avoid stuns, in HT during legs, cwkpq and targa shads would also be tanking with the other cleaves for optimal dpm. All in all, I think it just boils down mainly to pot savings again and indifference to archers/buccs dcing, which I don't think is a convincing enough reason for not buffing shads.

At this point, I don't even mind if a buff to shads isn't in the damage direction, as I've said. If we want to focus on relegating shads to a more support-based, beginner friendly entry-level class and give them more of a utility buff, then I'm all for it. I only feel that shads in their current state are missing a little something (read: a money printer ).

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Gurk

Gurk Nightshadow

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    Gxrk
    I'd have to push back a bit on shadowers having the same rating for single target dps as heroes and higher than DKs, and them also being as high as an A- for cleave potential relative to the A grade for heroes and DKs. Also a little puzzled on shads have a higher rating for NT than heroes, BMs, MMs and buccs and having the same rating as sairs and NLs.

With some adjustments to the table, or even as it currently is, it's a wonder that no one ever calls heroes, DKs and buccs "well rounded, versatile, and a great class to play". That's why such adjectives always came off to me as a backhanded compliment; it's used only in the context of justifying lower shad dpm output.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Blu301

Blu301 Pac Pinky

May 20, 2019
    Male
    East Coast, USA
    8:18 AM
    Blu301
    Shadower
    Summer
    GurkGurk You say good things, agree to disagree. There are definitely truths to what you're sharing, I just feel like it's an unnecessary crusade. You won't catch me being mad when we buffed doe droolmushdroolmush

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Squadron

Squadron Red Snail

Dec 30, 2020
    Male
    Shad
    Shadower
    What was the point of posting this guys leveling? lol

9. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    9:18 PM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Can I get a quick clarification on how you got to these numbers btw?

10. Gurk

Gurk Nightshadow

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    Gxrk
    I got them from akash's and june's calculations, which seemed to also match sherman's numbers for warriors. Had also corrected the delay for ds + nate because for some reason the given delay numbers were saying you'd only be able to fit 37 nates in a minute, when it was actually 39.

11. Nise

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Is that Sherman's updated numbers? Cus the way he was handling Hero DPM & SE needed to be corrected.

12. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    One thing to note about my calculations is that I did NOT include perfect shield. If it was included, shadowers are a bit better.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. Junga17

Junga17 Blue Snail

May 21, 2020
    Male
    8:18 AM
    Junga
    Beginner
    yo thats you

• Funny Funny x 7
  14. Squadron

Squadron Red Snail

Dec 30, 2020
    Male
    Shad
    Shadower
    LMAO I can't tell if my comment went through because it refreshed but I was trying to figure out why he was bringing up my leveling when it doesn't really have to do with the original post. Was trying to see what he would say before he knew it was me haha but thx

15. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Because shads are the cooler, bossing friendly, hp washing friendly mage equivalents Shaolin degenerates. They're fine where they are.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  16. Nise

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    PLEASE IGNORE ANYTHING BUCC-RELATED HERE! I MADE A MISTAKE! Buccs should do more damage than shown here by like 2% or so more.

Okay, so I looked into this a bit more, since based on the previously assumed numbers, you should only be able to fit 37 nates in a minute. These were my findings:

1. Animation speed for assassinate was correct.
    2. Dark Sight speed was wrong it seemed.
    :cross: 240ms per cast.
    :tick: 100ms per cast.
    (I'll update https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/nises-formula-compilation.36234/ accordingly)

3. Last line of assassinate speed seems to be slightly off as well.
    It was regarded by ayumilove & others as a constant +390ms addition, but it seems to scale off weapon speed too, so the correct values should be:
    :tick: Faster (2): 330ms
    :tick: Fast (4): 390ms
    :tick: Normal (6): 420ms
    (I'll update https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/nises-formula-compilation.36234/ accordingly)

4. I re-did the numbers comparing Buccs vs. Warriors vs. Shads from scratch since:
    • Prep's numbers (see here)
      • Hasn't been updated after 2021-05-20 after learning how SE was handled for Heroes was wrong
      • Doesn't cover Timeless equips
    • Joot's numbers (see here)
      • After looking into the formulas, noticed that she put assassinate's 4 lines benefiting from SE (when it doesn't)
      • Doesn't cover Timeless equips
      • Includes Red Christmas Sock at 7 wa (which I won't include)
      • Hard to visualize impacts of SE/SI
    • Akash's numbers (not sure what the source is)
      • Doesn't include perfect shield as mentioned by akashskyakashsky

Assumptions
    :
    - Level 200 (with echo)
    - Perfect Timeless Weapon (with +5 wa level up) & perf. Dragon Khanjar for Shads
    - 21 wa gloves / 14 wa cape / 10 all-stat MoN (incl wa)
    - No attack shoes
    - 3x30% and 5x60% overalls

Click here for the full sheet.

5. Touching back on the class comparisons that were made by Gurk
    • Comparing with ONLY SI
      • Shads vs. Bucc = pretty much identical damage, but with barrel canceling Buccs probably have an upper hand here
      • Shads vs. DK = comparable damage, but Shads do ~2% more damage
      • Shads vs. Hero = heroes do more, ~7% more damage than Shads
    • Comparing with SI+SE
      • Shads vs. Bucc = definitely not as big of a gap as mentioned, but Buccs still do ~6% more damage
      • Shads vs. DK = DKs are definitely in the lead here, with DKs doing ~10% more damage
      • Shads vs. Hero = Heroes & DKs with SI+SE are similar, but with Heroes doing ~11% more damage

What all this implies, I'll leave up to you lovely folk to discuss :p I'm just here providing numbers. Back to the calculator cave I go o/

• Great Work Great Work x 14
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Nise

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    At the request of some others, I made another chart with some more reasonable numbers

Assumptions:
    - Level 175 (with Echo)
    - 31 wa d. kjhanjar (2x30% and 4x60%)
    - 8 wa cape / 14 wa glove / 5 wa, 6 all stat mon
    - No attack shoes
    - 3x30% and 5x60% overalls

• Like Like x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    8:18 PM
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    Thanks for the calculation :D

If it does not bother you, is it possible to include perfect 1H sword (NT 1h and Timeless) with 20wa shield incomparision to shad? Just for personal reference as that is the direction I'm going with my Hero hahah

19. Gurk

Gurk Nightshadow

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    Gxrk
    The numbers I was working with for buccs were with barrel cancelling included, which I got from Joot, and I suppose the hero numbers I had were inflated because of the SE handling error.

Appreciate you working the numbers!