1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Winning Dice Roll

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mouse, Jan 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OP
    OP
    Mouse

Mouse Brown Teddy

Jul 15, 2017
    Female
    Canada
    10:43 AM
    Mouse
    F/P Wizard, Assassin
    lol thank you! This is exactly what I was trying to get at. Admittedly, some shoes or even good scrolls aren't my main concern. I've seen probably 2 other people total who have said 'I'm not going to roll this round because I got last time' and that makes for a much better experience overall.

I've seen some people give their scrolls away if it suited someone else more (warrior giving m.att scroll to mage) and I effing love that. The fact that there is an argument at all makes me think that people really are run by greed. But I also acknowledge that my wording in the OP is pretty bad and borders on somewhat aggressive, so I can see why people would be quick to defend the other side if they don't share my view.

2. IHearColors

IHearColors Timer

Jul 1, 2017
    Male
    9:43 AM
    Shadower, I/L Arch Mage, Bandit
    Kinda deviating from the original point, but the "social niceness" and community-based people regard so highly about the server seems to be a bit misguided imo. As with any community, your experience and opinions develop based on the people you interact with. Having a tight-knit group of people you get along with will have you regard the server as more friendly while meeting toxic or greedy people will have the opposite effect. Even if you want rolling to be more fair because you believe it will improve the friendly community Legends so happens to praise so highly, others will disagree and prefer to continue to be "greedy" as that is the way they wish to play. I don't believe their decision suddenly makes the server more or less friendly since we're just arbitrarily defining what we see as "fair" or "friendly".

Having the party initially agree on your suggestion, but for someone to loot regardless is a pretty dick move honestly and I've had people loot and steal drops in LPQ before. You can't really force them to do otherwise aside from just kicking them out of the party.

You can point out people's "greed" and lack of moral standard when they're ignoring the original point of the post, where you just want a more friendly and fair method of deciding who gets what drops, but I'm wondering how far you're supposed to go on that premise. Again what we're deeming fair is pretty arbitrary. Taking LPQ as an example, I was in a party where no one else could even hit the boss (back before avoid changes?) and I was basically finishing half the dark rooms, killing all the rombots, and soloing the boss. The PQ would've been downright impossible if not for one member. Some could probably argue that it's only fair that the person contributing the most should be getting more of the drops. I understand this example is oddly specific and made in some bad-faith, but the idea of fairness isn't a defined line that's drawn so it leaves arguments like this one open. I still think it would be greedy and unfair of me to tell my party I deserve the drops because I contributed the most.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. thedgafclub

thedgafclub Timer

Sep 23, 2019
    Female
    thedgafclub
    Shadower
    Beaters
    Okay, looking at this from a PQ perspective, let's say we have a party of people that all APQ together. Some people get 0 apples, and one person gets 3. It's not "rolled," but it is random RNG based on the bonus stage boxes. That person who got 3 can justly keep all 3 if they want. If they feel bad for others, they *might* give them away...but probably won't.

Personally, if I don't know who these other people are, and probably won't bump into them again, why would I give them my apples if they could just APQ again later for another chance? Same goes for card drops or whatever else people get from PQs.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. IHearColors

IHearColors Timer

Jul 1, 2017
    Male
    Shadower, I/L Arch Mage, Bandit
    If anything, a lot of people probably prefer coldly and mechanically determining how to share drops as its quick and the only bias is favored by RNG. There's nothing wrong with the suggestion being made and the rolling mechanic won't stop you either. Indeed asking your party is best, but what if some members don't agree to the skipping a roll after every win? Kicking them because they won't adhere (unless they agreed initially but looted anyways) to your rules seems even worse for the social aspect of the community and defaulting to the normal rolling leaves you back where you started.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. reeseko

reeseko Mano

Feb 22, 2020
    12:43 PM
    Reeseko
    Bandit
    I would suggest you find people in the community that agree with your style of loot sharing and just play with them. RNG is RNG and there are plenty of instances where someone wins a dice roll for drops but passes to the 2nd winner if they don't need the drop i.e. boss cards and untradeables in PQs.

If the issue simply you not getting what you deem is a fair share of the loot because of dice rolls, you can create mules to run everything solo and rely solely on drop rate to get whatever you want. At the end of the day it's all about how you want to play the game and finding people that want to play the game the same way you want to play it. There doesn't need to be a community-wide agreement on "not being greedy with the dice roll". It's there to prevent greed. It's both equal opportunity for everyone to get loot AND fair. If we agreed to do away with the unspoken agreement that is rolling for loot, you'd see a lot more greed and unfairness from a lot of people.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Voxtagrams

Voxtagrams Headless Horseman

Jun 13, 2020
    Player 1: LF>Reg 50M

Player 2: Ok

Player 1: RollRoll 100 - 4

Player 2: RollRoll 100 - 98

Player 1: Oh no I rolled a 4 can I retry?

Player 2: Wot da.. No, lol

Player 1: THATS NOT FAIR!

Screenshot at Jan 10 12-29-24.png
    Yet you post here
    Screenshot at Jan 10 12-28-08.png
    Ignoring retired staff, like me battling about 5 slots to 7 slots in a bug thread,
    I was wrong using the source as a translation. Same thing here but with its own rules.
    Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 12.38.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 12.29.40 PM.png

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Precel

Precel Zakum Retired Staff

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit
    nah i was just telling her to post the link to this thread somewhere other than #support because that channel is for technical support/GM support... she deleted the link and moved it where u screenshotted it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    Mouse

Mouse Brown Teddy

Jul 15, 2017
    Female
    Canada
    Mouse
    F/P Wizard, Assassin
    Okay, what am I missing? What exactly was this supposed to prove? That you're petty?

You should probably just leave this thread if you're getting worked up enough to take my Discord comments out of context to make me look a certain way.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Voxtagrams

Jun 13, 2020
    But, you posted the thread with the same questions.

10. OP
    OP
    Mouse

Mouse Brown Teddy

Jul 15, 2017
    Female
    Canada
    Mouse
    F/P Wizard, Assassin
    LMFAO you know what? Your comment on moral standard makes me realize I totally sound like Joey Potter itt. I do see what you're saying, though I feel that example doesn't quite fit what we're really talking about here.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. OP
    OP
    Mouse

Mouse Brown Teddy

Jul 15, 2017
    Female
    Canada
    Mouse
    F/P Wizard, Assassin
    Yeah, to post the link. You should really leave this thread if you're going to spam your pettiness.

12. Voxtagrams

Jun 13, 2020
    What are you talking about? You're just being Salty because you legitimately lost a dice roll for items and being Narcissistic about it, is there something else that needs to be defined?

Pettiness -
    lack of importance or worth; triviality.

Salty -
    Slang. angry, upset, or hostile, especially due to embarrassment or failure: He gets all salty whenever he loses

Narcissistic -
    A disorder in which a person has an inflated sense of self-importance.

• Funny Funny x 10
  13. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
  14. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    11:43 AM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    If I were 'petty' I don't think I would have been selected to be a Community Coordinator in an online pokèmon game, now would I?

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  15. Oradious

Oradious Mr. Anchor

Aug 28, 2018
    Male
    12:43 AM
    Oradious
    F/P Arch Mage, Gunslinger, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    If I were 'petty' I don't think I would have been selected to be a Community Coordinator in an online pokèmon game, now would I?

• Funny Funny x 11
  16. MrPresident

MrPresident Capt. Latanica

Dec 19, 2017
    MrPresident
    Spearman

• Funny Funny x 9
  17. Vowels

Vowels Mr. Anchor

Jan 23, 2019
    1:43 PM
    untrue
    Bishop
    Pasta

• Funny Funny x 10
  18. OP
    OP
    Mouse

Mouse Brown Teddy

Jul 15, 2017
    Female
    Canada
    Mouse
    F/P Wizard, Assassin
    omg this is sending me

19. OP
    OP
    Mouse

Mouse Brown Teddy

Jul 15, 2017
    Female
    Canada
    Mouse
    F/P Wizard, Assassin
    Well! This was a good discussion. Thanks to everyone for contributing.

I now realize that the 'sense' of community in ML hasn't gone away necessarily, but it has shifted. So instead of looking back on my admittedly good experiences taking turns with party members on who gets drops (people itt mentioned arguments, which I've never experienced, thankfully), I can look forward and figure out how to make the dice roll work.

Thanks to those who called out my misplaced sense of self-righteousness and plain old sanctimony.

And thanks to DuckTalesDuckTales for creating one of my favourite memes in this forum and also for diagnosing me. Without you, Duck, and your psychology degree from ML University, I never would have known my mental health status.

Love you silly fucks!

• Great Work Great Work x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    I suppose it would be more evenly distributed if the person who won the last PQ roll didn't participate in the next one, but that can be something discussed among party members to do. I'm not sure if staff would really want to stick their fingers in everyone's rolls, but there's also nothing against making an agreement with the party members to do things differently. The current etiquette is something just commonly agreed to by players, if it's discussed beforehand any rules can be made about how drops are distributed.

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.