1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

[Formal Proposal] Quester's Ring

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Skuire, Apr 30, 2020.

Do you support this proposal?

1. Yes

498 vote(s)
    82.9%
  2. Yes, but needs changes (specify in thread)

84 vote(s)
    14.0%
  3. No

19 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. DrJason

DrJason Windraider

May 30, 2018
    Male
    Canada
    1:36 PM
    DrJason, Zrar, WhyDaggers
    Islander, F/P Arch Mage
    Oddjobs
    So this proposal has overwhelming support by the playerbase (as had previous proposals for a quest ring) but no staff/kimmies have weighed in on this (unless I am blind and missed that -- it's past 4am right now). After all of these supporting comments and the poll, what happens now?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. merky

merky Mr. Anchor

Apr 13, 2016
    Male
    1:36 AM
    Crusader
    I'm guessing the staff were busy with the server upgrade, plus there's an anniversary event coming up as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Danny

Danny Slimy

Apr 30, 2015
    Male
    Israel
    8:36 PM
    ZerkMania
    Dark Knight
    Active
    We keep supporting till it happens

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. cglavatchi

cglavatchi Mano

Jul 3, 2017
    Male
    10:36 AM
    Magician, Brawler, Marauder
    Bump* until staff sees

• Like Like x 1
  5. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Marchilles/Annolis/ Atlan/Katroz/ Chokal/Corvack/Tisif/ Quallo/Crisilixin/Forg/ Nannosh/Tylius
    Crusader, White Knight, Dragon Knight, F/P Mage, I/L Mage, Priest, Ranger, Sniper, Hermit, Chief Bandit, Marauder, Outlaw
    Eternals
    After a lot of thought, I'm honestly willing to have this ring under the following provisions:
    1. In order to get the Quest Ring, you must surrender the Ellin Ring.
    2. The stats on the Quest Ring must have identical stats to the Ellin Ring PLUS the already mentioned Avoid/Accuracy/Speed/Jump stats mentioned earlier - making it an upgraded Ellin Ring.

This won't increase the need for more ring slots, this won't force people to choose which rings they want to equip at any given time, and it won't require any new slots. (Though I still hold the ideal solution is to have the Medal system introduced - but if that cannot be done whatsoever, then this is the best compromise I can get on board with)

• Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. likey

likey Timer

Jan 12, 2018
    Latch
    Bowmaster
    Perion
    i love this idea. +1 definitely!

• Like Like x 1
  7. yurain

yurain Windraider

Dec 30, 2019
    YUrain
    I/L Wizard
    I quite like the item on the Ellin Ring part. I believe the story line of the Ellin Ring is about the beginning of Vic (I might be confused here with the story, don't blame me). So doing more quest from the NPC to boost the ring definitly makes sense to help "build the island".

Anyway, i would like to point out that the number of quest through out the levels are not linear. From a quick search in hidden street, seems most number of quests are for level <65. I would imagine the tier list to have a bigger gap at the eariler tiers then a smaller gap at the later levels, especially if you want to hit the final tier at lv120 base on level requirement.

I have no idea if 30 quests is a suitable tier or not, pobably need to properly graph out the quest from their level and their diffculty scales at their given level before we can decide how each many quest each tier should be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. cglavatchi

cglavatchi Mano

Jul 3, 2017
    Male
    Magician, Brawler, Marauder
    Adminnnns better not be sleeping on this thread

9. Haitenai

Haitenai Snail

May 15, 2020
    Male
    3:36 AM
    Omg, such a great idea. Quest will finally feel worth it rather than grinding pq and mobs all day. I actually enjoy questing but feel that it's a waste of time compared to pq/grinds

10. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Marchilles/Annolis/ Atlan/Katroz/ Chokal/Corvack/Tisif/ Quallo/Crisilixin/Forg/ Nannosh/Tylius
    Crusader, White Knight, Dragon Knight, F/P Mage, I/L Mage, Priest, Ranger, Sniper, Hermit, Chief Bandit, Marauder, Outlaw
    Eternals
    There are a lot of good quests out there, and the x3 experience on these quests have never felt like a waste. There are a few that have the potential to give you an awesome item/scroll, but when they give you garbage it does feel like a waste. But predominantly, this server got the x3 just right, imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. theKatia

theKatia Capt. Latanica

Apr 29, 2017
    Female
    8:36 PM
    Asteracea
    Bowmaster
    Funk
    Maybe after patch? :whistling:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. merky

merky Mr. Anchor

Apr 13, 2016
    Male
    Crusader
    *cough* Rowan the Fairy and the ACCURSED Dolls *cough*

• Like Like x 1
  13. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Eternals
    After collecting 27,600 dolls and turning in all five of those quests on all 12 characters...

First, I'm a bit biased. I like collecting ores and refining them, so this string of quests helps in that arena. There's also 8 fame in it for you. I will admit, however, that the 60% Glove for DEX and the Helmet are disappointing. Last, I will say that this quest is perfectly fine for an I/L, Warriors with enough accuracy, and Hunters with exploding arrows. They're good at killing everything there rather quickly, and turning in everything just becomes a bit of a bonus.

• Great Work Great Work x 2
  14. Nicholas

Nicholas Mixed Golem

Jun 9, 2016
    Male
    London
    DragonNich
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Summer
    I've done a lot of posting with regards to questing, including a comprehensive quest guide which will boost quest counts to a few hundred by level 40 (https://forum.maplelegends.com/inde...-for-1-35-in-under-6-hours.29751/#post-212572), and I have proposed and am hoping to contribute to high-level quest reward revamps, and I've done basically 900 quests on my main, a Dark Knight. I've definitely thought on my own time that there should definitely be a questing ring, but I feel like there's too much support for this ring as it stands now (based on poll results). I will say this straight out that I do not support the stats on the ring as they are now.

This ring disproportionately doesn't affect Mages and Thieves who don't really need any of these stats except defense, while warriors gain disproportionately as they benefit from all of these stat bonuses (except from the avoid). Before discussing the particular stats, we should consider the balance of the monster book ring. The monster book ring offers every stat along with HP and MP. Every class benefits from these stat buffs equally: all attacker classes except warrior get a significant boost in their primary and secondary stat, while warriors get a significant accuracy buff (which actually matters in bossing). All classes except for warriors get a significant HP boost. Mages only really have 1 main stat, but disproportionately benefit from HP. It's a very good deal for every character.

This ring is going to be much more difficult to get than a monster book ring, so I don't know why these stats are undersold so much. I should acknowledge that you could do both rings at the same time, but trust me, I did do all quests around my monster card hunting, and it does take a significant amount more time to do the extra quests. If we compare the stat bonuses from this ring as opposed to a MB ring, you're getting a really bad deal, especially since at end-game levels (note the level requirements) the only real stats here are the avoid and defense bonuses. Based on the given conversion, 500 defense corresponds to about 250 more HP, which is not good. Of course, a 2000 defense increase (1k hp) bonus is absurd. So I definitely think the stats provided here would need to be changed in a non-trivial way. I think adding 500 hp/mp at max level (avg 50 per tier, but gradual like MB ring) would be a good addition. I don't think there is a good way to fix this.

If it were up to me, I think maybe doing the same stats as a monsterbook ring, but cut in half, might be a better option, maybe with some avoidability thrown in for buccs, sairs and luk mages and archers :p. This ring would clearly be balanced for all classes just as the monster book ring is. Moreover, this lesser bonus compensates for the fact that a lot of the effort you put into getting this ring can come from getting the Monster book ring. I think this would be the best option.

• Agree Agree x 6
  15. Nicholas

Nicholas Mixed Golem

Jun 9, 2016
    Male
    London
    DragonNich
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Summer
    Hate to comment consecutively, but also, you're point on "Fairness" is basically saying we shouldn't have better stats on the ring because people already worked their asses off for those stats and we shouldn't reward them for it (which actually makes no sense). Nobody worked for the monster cards, and so it was fair that nobody got to cash in on the ring without working. Many will have already put in tons of work for this ring, and they should be rewarded for it (especially since those quests definitely weren't rewarding them lol).

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. asdfjkliang

asdfjkliang Selkie Jr.

Jul 10, 2017
    Male
    Mirage
    Hero
    Influence
    I fully support this idea! Great work sku :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Eternals
    NicholasNicholas you cause me to wonder about something. The MB Ring was designed to help all classes in order to make HP washing non-mandatory. You are correct that no one had put any work into obtaining a MB Ring when it first came out, as opposed to a questing ring - and I agree with you that it makes no sense to argue that some people would get an instant bonus for having already done the quests. But what I wonder about is whether or not a questing ring could be something that specific classes or particular builds of classes would best benefit from doing the quests - strictly wondering on a diversity level whether or not the game could warrant particular class builds.

Beyond that, I think a questing ring shouldn't be so universally wanted that everyone starts questing to get it. This should be a special bonus for people who do quests. I would hate to think this ring becomes good enough that people are pressured to get (if not coerced in order to compete for DPS in a party). Just my vision of this whole thing, I think only certain classes should benefit from this ring, but not so much that it becomes massively unfair. While I'm not sure if the GMS stats for a MoN vs HTP are the same as they are here on Legends, I recall in GMS that the HTP is a pendant for mages, while the MoN is a pendant for all other classes. This makes me wonder - what if certain classes were made for questing and others were not? What if some classes needed to quest while others did not? Of course, there would need to be a viable alternative for players who wish to play a class and not do quests - but no player should be able to take advantage of both paths.

There's only one thing that I want to point out is the DEF bonus. I wouldn't compare it strictly to HP. There's also the benefit of savings on potion usage. I don't think it should be compared to HP except in specific circumstances where we're trying to calculate how to avoid a 1hko, or widening the window from being able to take 1 hit versus 2 hits before using potions.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  18. LackinDex45

LackinDex45 Mano

Jul 1, 2017
    Male
    Beginner
    fan of it - do not think it should give more than 10 speed & 5 jump, however. Also think the defensive stats are way too high. Honestly, I don't think adding hp/mp to replace them is too unrealistic, even given another ring that already does. HP washing is a big issue that I don't feel should be as "integral" a part of the game as it is.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    I don't think that the point on fairness is directly trying to compare work spent now or work spent later. I think that everyone can agree with you that a character who did the quests in the past, vs a character who does all the quests in the future both put similar back breaking work to do quests.

The only thing that would be unfair is the time gap between a veteran quester getting the ring initially and the time it would take for a new player / non quester to complete all the quests to get the ring. While both put in the same "work", one gets to benefit from the ring sooner than the other.

Of course this isn't really a good excuse because I don't think it matters in the long run as both will eventually get the ring.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. RainbowYarn

RainbowYarn Pink Teddy

Jan 14, 2020
    Male
    United Kingdom
    6:36 PM
    Bring the ring to Legends, but the amount of defence it gives is still way too high.
    Maybe it could add 100 to all defences and avoid along with some acc boosts and a small speed/jump boost.