1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

What if STR gives WDEF?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LiZrd, May 31, 2022.

1. LiZrd

LiZrd King Slime

Apr 2, 2022
    Male
    8:47 PM
    Lizrd
    Hero
    Bonfire
    Just a random thought of mine. Since INT gives MDEF, I wonder what would happen if STR gives WDEF (at a 1:1 or 2:1 ratio maybe)?

This would surely make warriors and other classes (mostly melee) that invest in STR tankier against physical damage, which they should be as they confront mobs face to face therefore taking a lot more touch damage compared to ranged classes. Consequently this would make it less necessary for them to go through heavy HP washing (so that light wash could be a more viable route), all without them becoming completely invulerable. For example, having 999 STR and 200 STR from gears (rouded up to 1200 STR in total), would equal to 1200 (1:1 ratio) or 600 (2:1 ratio) additional WDEF, which is a decent amount of defense but not that signifcant against high level mobs/bosses that easily dish out more than 5K or even 10k psysical damage.

What do you guys think? (My main char is only lv.102 currently so I'm not qutie familiar with late/end game content yet. So please forgive me if this idea is stupid or something.)

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  2. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    2:47 PM
    So many I keep forgetting
    Well, I think you've kinda got the right idea! However, warriors and buccs (the classes with str) are already the classes that don't really suffer as much from washing (though this is arguable for bucc because of pb touch)

• Like Like x 1
  3. lord kniizer

lord kniizer Slime

Mar 21, 2020
    9:47 AM
    I/L Arch Mage
    Feijoada
    • Like Like x 1
  4. KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    KurayamiLove/Nagrom/Amatista
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    Yep like INT giving m.def haha. You do take a little less dmg but TBH all the tankyness of a mage comes from Magic Guard and welp Invincible if you are a Bishop.

• Like Like x 2
  5. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    5:47 AM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    what if strength gave avoidability?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    So many I keep forgetting
    What is we reverted the bucc avoid formula?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    What if STR gave accuracy

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. DrJason

DrJason Windraider

May 30, 2018
    Male
    Canada
    8:47 AM
    DrJason, Zrar, WhyDaggers
    Islander, F/P Arch Mage
    Oddjobs
    I don't think we need new sources of DEF, just change the damage taken formula to remove the "expected DEF penalty" (as you increase your stats and level up, you are "expected" to have a certain DEF or else you take additional damage, which is really dumb) and change the base multiplier (which is currently DAMAGE - 0.5*DEF) to something like DAMAGE - 4.*DEF*(char_level/200)^0.4

I am using the exponent 0.4 because it leaves DEF relatively unchanged for low levels but becomes more useful at higher levels (we don't want level 30 characters taking 1 damage from everything just because they can afford 100% DEF scrolls). For example, a level 150 archer with 500 DEF would receive 1782 less damage from attacks, compared to the current formula which would reduce damage by less than 250 (less, because of the "expected DEF penalty" I mentioned) and would thus have enough HP to tank a HT hit without a single wash.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    LiZrd

LiZrd King Slime

Apr 2, 2022
    Male
    Lizrd
    Hero
    Bonfire
    I totally didn't know about the existence of expected DEF penalty! But I've always wondered why I seemed to take more damage from the same mobs after leveling up without changing gears, and now this puzzle is finally solved for me! Yeah I think your idea is definitely better than mine, changing the DEF/damage taken formula like you suggested should benefit all classes and render washing less necessary on a greater scale. Good thinking:)

10. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    8:47 AM
    DMsRebirth
    what if STR gives hands

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. lv1crook

lv1crook Capt. Latanica

Jan 19, 2021
    Male
    Level1Crook
    Corsair
    Flow
    Yeah the level-defense penalty should be removed, and if anything they should add a bonus if you reach the defense requirement instead

12. kissMagE

kissMagE Selkie Jr.

May 28, 2017
    Female
    JoeL
    Beginner
    KWAB

13. KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    KurayamiLove/Nagrom/Amatista
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    [​IMG]

14. jc123

jc123 Brown Teddy

Jun 21, 2020
    jc43
    Warrior
    I don't think being tankier really matters for warrior counterparts since pots are just % based anyways. I could see WDEF mattering a bit more for DK thresholds, but would prefer a generic warrior based change over just helping out DKs zerk easier.

I hate the fact that I avoid jiaoceng from time to time and have to actually pay attention for misses while being under hp threshold. I find it weird that warriors dodge in the first place. :boo:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rainemard

Rainemard Balance Team Staff Member Balance Team

Jun 30, 2022
    Male
    Rainemard
    Paladin
    Nimbus
    monkaHmm