1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Absolve mages from their card-hunting hell

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Ainz, Oct 1, 2023.

1. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    8:14 PM
    So many I keep forgetting
    Hi there!

I'm probably going to have to preface this post with a good few disclaimers to have any chance at avoiding mass-disagreeing, so let's start with those:
    1. Your mileage may vary. These are merely my experiences with card farming and I understand that RNG is going to RNG, so not everyone might face the same struggles.
    2. This is not a weh-weh-mages-have-such-hard-lives-thread. I understand mages shine remarkably in other fields, this is merely one I am frustrated with.
    3. Without empirical data, this thread is going to feel very weak, so empirical data will be provided more as I get further into my bishop's monsterbook journey.
    4. By no means am I an expert in the field of monsterbook farming. There are others who have farmed literal dozens more monsterbook rings than I have.
    5. I have tested monsterbook farming on mages both through the use of ultimates, third job mobbing skills (Shining Ray, Ice Strike) and magic claw.

Without further ado, let's get down to the point of this thread.
    Mages have had their inherent droprate nerfs confirmed, both through empirical data and recently by staff. This is fine, I understand the fact that mages need their droprate nerfed to create a balanced environment between each class' farming capabilities.
    That being said, I believe mages are currently getting unnecessarily shafted when it comes to the droprate of monsterbook cards.
    Throughout my journey of farming monsterbook cards on practically every class the game has to offer, I've noticed that my mages unintuitively struggle the most by a long shot. I've found this frustrating to the point of both my most-played mages (lvl 163 and 157, respectively) having less than tier 2 monsterbook rings.

Is this an issue that can be circumvented? Yes, I could use my shad, BM, DK, or virtually any other class to farm these cards, but I feel like it is unbefitting of a class that shines in the department of AoE/Mobbing to struggle with farming monsterbook cards.

As such, I propose mages have their droprate buffed purely when it comes to cards. While we obviously don't have any public information on droprates, I assume this is tied to the droprate of gachapon tickets and perhaps event items. While the latter two arguably deserve their droprate nerfs, I don't believe the same treatment is fair for monsterbook cards.

I don't believe this suggestion would have any negative impact. One might speculate that this would lead to people selling monsterbook service on mages en-masse, but I don't believe this is a realistic expectation. I'm asking for mages to be put on equal footing with other classes, not above them. If I wanted to sell card service, I would still do so on my shad, dk, bm, or any other class.

I'm aware that there are plenty of people who have completed their T10 rings on mages. I commend you all, but my own data (which will be provided as time goes on) will show that mages take significantly longer to farm cards than other classes do.

Format: Map | Time spent | Cards found
    Mushroom Garden | 06:31 | 2 Shroom, 3 Red Snail, 1 Orange Mushroom
    Pig Dungeon | 37:00 | 2 Pig, 8 Ribbon Pig
    Jungle Clearing | 31:08 | 5 Street Slime, 5 Urban Fungus, 3 Boomer

Kind regards,

Ainz

Last edited: Oct 3, 2023
    • Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  2. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    3:14 PM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    Was I the only one who used a bishop to hunt for cards? I didn't see any motivation in hunting low lv mob cards in paladin, so I farmed while leeching an fp

• Like Like x 1
  3. Krythan

Krythan Nightshadow

Sep 2, 2022
    2:14 PM
    Krythan
    Bishop
    Sleepywood
  4. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    1:14 PM
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    akash clone no jutsu works on mages too. 12 mages on 3 maps should do the trick

• Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    2:14 AM
    I thought the drop rate for non-ults were just un-nerfed? Or did that not apply to cards

6. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    11:14 AM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Card hunt without using your ult.

7. DrJason

DrJason Windraider

May 30, 2018
    Male
    Canada
    2:14 PM
    DrJason, Zrar, WhyDaggers
    Islander, F/P Arch Mage
    Oddjobs
    I made my f/p in ~April 2018 when the monster book was released, thinking it would be a good class to 100% all of the cards. How wrong I was, not only are the mob cards harder to farm, but I can't get high level boss cards without paying bossing groups lol

Edit: Oh and Neo Tokyo is a hard wall, literally the only mobs I still need cards for because they resist all of my damage. I even tried resetting SP to use Big bang but it was too painful.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2023
  8. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Ask OradiousOradious why mage is in HT.

9. kiwiz

kiwiz Skelegon

May 7, 2018
    This will make card hunting service even more of a thing, which may degrade the overall card hunting experience.

Could make card visible to loot, for mobs, only to the character that did the most damage. I understand some players may not like this though.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    I'm glad that people are finally agreeing with me that nerfing the drop rate of the class whose only role in the game is farming is bad.

11. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    You do realize that the droprates for the class as a whole have been buffed last patch with only ultimates remaining the same as they were.

Personally I understand the sentiment of this post, also having farmed T10 with a single mage mostly before. But I do think it's a bit too early for a post as this after the recent buffs to farming with non ultimate skills for mages. And I'm not sure why you think mages are currently getting "unnecessarily shafted" in their card farming abilities when they are no different from other classes except for their ultimates

12. OP
    OP
    Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    The first logs

Format: Map | Time spent | Cards found
    Mushroom Garden | 06:31 | 2 Shroom, 3 Red Snail, 1 Orange Mushroom
    Pig Dungeon | 37:00 | 2 Pig, 8 Ribbon Pig
    The numbers are proving better than expected. It seems I may have been very wrong to post this thread. Of course it's still a small sample size, but we'll see.

In my defense, I was very very tipsy when writing the thread and absolutely forgot about droprates being buffed last patch.

One thing I did want to mention; I understand that mages simply *can* use their non-ult skills to farm cards now, which is an option I very much appreciate is now possible.
    However, it does feel counterintuitive for a strong farming class to not use their strong farming skills when they want to farm.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    I do understand this, but I think it's important to try and find the right balance on when you should use your ultimate versus other skills such as Ice Strike/Chain Lightning which entirely depends on the amount of mobs you'll be able to kill each spawn cycle with either skill and will differ per map.

I'd like to see if the sentiment of this post is any different 6-months from now

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. OP
    OP
    Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    I'll keep slowly farming my way through the monsterbook cards and append whatever results to the original post!
    Whether or not this will prove to be slower than I thought or faster than I thought, idk.
    Sorry for the strong wording of the original post, buffing non-ult skills is already a step in the right direction and might prove sufficient as a whole :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. GIMORING

GIMORING Brown Teddy

Aug 20, 2023
    Male
    Honestly? That's how I currently card farm on my Bishop for my NL and BM. If it's 2 platforms that can be Genesis'd all at once, I always have to consider if it's better to Shining Ray twice, even if it takes longer and mobs might spawn while doing so.

With all due respect, I personally believe I shouldn't have to think like that. Why should I have to think about balance of what skills I should use when I made a bishop literally to make my life easier with Genesis? I should just kill and expect drop rates to be the same. It's just so unintuitive. I understand that there is a balance team and staff who have thought about this issue much more than me, and I want to respect their decision. But it still doesn't make sense in my heart as I don't know what the devs know in terms of the actual drop rates, economy, player statistics, etc.

From my (a player's) point of view, I made a Bishop to cover for my NL and BM's weaknesses of no AoE and bad farming. I made these classes with the EXPECTATION that the weaknesses of my classes would be covered by other classes. I expect that my Bishop will not do as much single-target damage as my BM/NL, so I should expect my AoE/farming skills to shine. Just the mention of nerfing mage Ult's drop rates, which I perceive to be one of the strongest pros and one of my primary reasons for making a mage, puts a bad taste in my mouth, especially because I don't know how much it has been nerfed. I feel that it's similar to something like, "NL damage has been debuffed because they were too strong (they are lol), but we can't tell you how much. We just made the balance in accordance to the data we see." Even if the class still excels according to the data, the players will never know and be in constant doubt.

I'm not saying that I'm a maple god that has the solution to everything. But at the very least, I think until the admins do decide to reveal rates, it's not unfair to expect people to complain or have discussions about mage ult nerfs.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    i would enjoy dk farming rates on mages

• Creative Creative x 1
  17. fartsy

fartsy Zakum

Jun 29, 2017
    Male
    Fartsy
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta
    as long as you can kill like 7-8 mobs per cycle the skill is probably equal to genesis that kills like 15 per cycle. mage/dk ults are still nice for mobbing tho. idk if that deluge of gach+npcables would be great for the economy tho, might just shift more ev toward farmers

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  18. brunandes

brunandes Windraider

Aug 29, 2021
    Idk how difficult it is to implement, but I think they should only nerf the drop rates for the gach+npcables if the concern is economy. Keep the drop rate for cards/quest items etc. Mages deserve to have some advantage in those.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. GIMORING

GIMORING Brown Teddy

Aug 20, 2023
    Male
    fartsyfartsy That's good advice, ty! I think someone in the forums long time ago said that vs. archers, mage drops percentages was 60-70%, so that was my initial basis. I'll take your estimation moving forward since you've played mages for a long, long time. I trust your veteran words.

brunandesbrunandes In an ideal world, I would still prefer that mages would still excel in that field with equal gach drops, and have bosses compensated a bit more so that the expected value of farmers and attackers are balanced, skewed more towards high end attackers. But I understand that economy takes time to craft and ML already has an established economy, so I strongly agree with what you say.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2023
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. GIMORING

GIMORING Brown Teddy

Aug 20, 2023
    Male
    brunandesbrunandes
    Sorry for the double post, but here is a quick thought of a different way to solve the gach issue:
    - Make it so that the lower the level of a monster, the less likely it is for a monster to drop gach/NX. Keep higher level monsters at the current gach/NX percentage.
    - Have PQs reward gach/NX at a certain percentage as an end reward (to fix the imbalance of lower levels now having lower chance for gach/NX)

This solves the whole DK farming issue, since they don't have enough damage to kill 120+ units in one shot. (If they can kill Skelegons with 2 Roars, they DESERVE the gach/NX)
    There is no need to adjust rates per skill, which means mages won't be frustrated regarding lack of transparency.
    This also solves lack of people gathering for PQs since they are now more incentivized to do so.

Are there any downsides to this? Anyone, please let me know.